1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richard Marshall

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by wpgfishfan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

PFF says they were at corner. 500 coverage snaps at corner in their signature stats. 144 coverage snaps in the slot in 2011. His numbers were fine overall and in the slot.
    His snaps in the slot were 300 or more each of the 3 previous seasons in Carolina.

Just curious, do you ever disagree with the team when it comes to any veteran player that they decide to cut or a free agent they decide to not resign?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Again, Ck and Alen saw that as more of a Safety role rather than the designated corner role PFF gave him. Also, do a quick Google search. Ck and Alen aren't the only ones who have noticed that Marshall played in a safety role for Arizona. I believe they had him do that after Rhodes went down with an injury that season.

Don't know what your question has to do with this debate. That's none of your concern, really.

3. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    The entire CB situation is just a "smart gamble" by Ireland and the coaching staff with special consideration as to who we play in week 1...the Cleveland Trent Richardson's. You simply don't win anymore in the NFL if you're not willing to take risks, and they wagered that either Davis or Taylor would be able to contribute significantly by week 2. We've all spent far too many year suffering behind stagnant, conservative Miami Dolphins teams. Finally they are taking big risks, relying on young guys, and going for broke. Go big or go home...and I, for one, am totally fine with that.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Richard Marshall..

Wasn't he a zodiac suspect?

5. MrClean

Up to you if you don't want to tell me. I was just trying to recall if any time you ever disagreed with Ireland when he cut a veteran or chose not to resign one.

As for Marshall in 2011, I do not know how many snaps either of them exactly reviewed. Rhodes missed about 10 games. PFF says Rashad Johnson played safety when Rhodes was out.

6. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Doesn't matter in this discussion.

I've seen other sources say he played FS, too. If you don't want to believe it, that's up to you. I'm pretty sure you're not going to, though. So maybe whatever this was can stop here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Seriously?

You really have no filter for conversation on the internet. Its baffling sometimes. The thing is, you know you cannot detect sarcasm, yet it never occurs to you that something someone said was sarcastic.

8. MrClean

So you were being sarcastic with your second post. That was pretty obvious. That's what some people do when they have nothing of substance to counter with I guess. You were not being sarcastic IMO when you said the nickel and dime back were the least important part of a defense. It looked like a lame attempt to justify keeping cheaper mediocre corners over a proven solid performer, as if they were a reason rather than money.

9. MrClean

What I do believe is Marshall played well in all aspects as a corner in 2011. Better by far than anything any of the 3 cheap contract corners who were kept in his place. What I do believe is the ONLY reason he was cut was contract, that for some explicable reason, the team did not offer to rework before doing so,

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Jesus.

My first post was not sarcastic. Dime and Nickel are the LEAST important players on defense.

You went full Mr. Clean on that statement, expecting me to produce a document signed in triplicate and witnessed by the POTUS that clearly states dime and nickel CBs are the least important players on defense. (<-------sarcasm, I know you didn't specifically ask for a document from the POTUS)

To which I sarcastically made a point that if they weren't the least important players then why are those position generally manned by inferior talent.

You doubled down on the full Mr Clean from there.

I made my case very clearly, I'll make it again in hopes you comprehend it this time:

Marshall made too much money for a nickel CB. He made too much for a dime CB. He also was eating up valuable Nickel & Dime snaps that could be used for Taylor & Davis to get accustomed to the NFL. Yes, they are both injured right now, but it shouldn't be for long, but while they are hurt we have two extra CBs on the team to fill the roles that are meant for Taylor and Davis until they can play. This is not all that risky because....nickel and dime cbs are the least important players on defense.

11. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Well I disagree. He's a worse boundary corner than Carrol. Same with Patterson. So he lost the slot corner job and was released. Carrol will probably hold it down if need be until Taylor is healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

12. MrClean

Full MrClean huh? How dare I disagree with you. You are so ******* full of yourself with your condescending crap. For one thing there is no logic to combine the nickel with the dime when stating their importance to the defense. The nickel plays a lot more snaps, approximately 60%. That IMO makes him at least as important as the 3rd LB, whom the nickel back generally replaces when he enters the game.

Marshall's salary when combined with Grimes and Patterson's, made the combined cap hit for the top 3 corners too high. I agree with that. I do not agree that Carroll is just as good a player. He is decidedly an inferior talent IMO, and it is not even close. The decision was totally about money. There was never an attempt that I know of to offer to rework Marshall's contract either. I think they should have at least offered to. Maybe they did and it was not reported.

13. MrClean

I have never seen Carroll do anything to indicate he is better than anyone as a boundary corner. I'd rather have Wilson or Stanford there than no instincts, no ball skills Carroll. JMO. We obviously disagree, and I think we can at least agree on that. :) I truly hope the light goes on for Carroll though and he plays better than ever and proves me wrong.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There's plenty of logic to combining them. You take all the spots on a defense and the last two in the order of importance is nickel and dime. Yes nickel is more important than dime, but its still less important than every other position on defense.

That's important, because that's what you're *****ing about. You're *****ing about an overpaid player taking snaps at one of the two least important defensive positions that will otherwise be used for up and coming rookies who need those snaps. And that will only be happening for a small handful of games, most likely.

This isn't about agreeing with me. This is about not overreacting to small things. Once Taylor and Davis are healthy, we'll have one of the best secondaries in the whole league and with depth too.

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Push came to shove I'd put Wilson out there over Carroll.

MrClean likes this.
  16. MrClean

Nickel back plays more snaps than the 3rd OLB. Jimmy Wilson played as the 3rd corner more than anyone else, and he didn't start doing that until Marshall went out. He still played more snaps than Koa Misi and almost as many as Paul Soliai. When so many teams have at least 3 starting quality WRs, don't give me some bullcrap about the nickel back not being important.
    When you play teams like Denver, or any other with a prolific passing attack, they will very often open the game in 3 wide, so the nickel is starting. Yet you would have us believe he is just not important. Baltimore's nickel back played 68 snaps, about the same as the two starting corners. Their dime back played 15. Yet you would place equal importance on the dime and the nickel.

17. MrClean

I like Misi and it's nice he got extended, but I question how he is more valuable than the nickel back, when the nickel plays more snaps than the 3rd LB. I know this wouldn't be a question if Jamar Taylor were healthy because I believe he'd be the nickel back. Should we be surprised he is hurt though? He had a reputation of being injury prone before we ever drafted him. He missed an entire season as BSU, and a good chunk of another due to injuries. So we have two rookie corners. One is very talented but injury prone. The other tackles like he thinks it's flag football. Deion Sanders looks like Ronnie Lott as a tackler, compared to Will Davis.