1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richie Incognito v Antonio Smith p.2

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

We are both wrong actually. I just used my stop watch on my phone. 2.9 seconds until he engaged Reed. Twice I timed it. Twice I got 2.9 seconds. So I was wrong, it wasnt over 3 seconds.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  2. Thunderkyss

Thunderkyss Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Refs must have been in training. Tannehill was getting his noggin smaked all night. I kept telling my wife if that was Manning or Brady we wouldn't have got away with half the hits we put on RT.

3. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Martin really didn't have to do much. One thing that they have to keep on Martin about is finishing. There was a hit/sack I do believe that was Martin's guy. Sure Tannehill should have gotten rid of the ball an hour ago...but Martin gave up on his guy and was shocked to see Tanny still had the ball.

WestCoastPhinsFan likes this.
  4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Clay chipped Martin's guy... I don't understand how you can argue he didn't.

Steve-Mo, NCFINFAN and ATLFINFAN like this.
  5. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Are you calling Cushing a slouch?

Larryfinfan likes this.
  6. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    He would be dirty if he played for another team.

He plays for ours so he just plays HARD.

You might need to decide which side your on.........:wink2:

7. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    That "chip" was several seconds before the pass rusher ever even engaged with Martin. Who gives a damn what happened before the guy rushed and engaged? Martin didn't have, nor need, anyone to help him handle his assignments. Nappy is making out like Martin had to have help. Clearly he didn't. Be a different story if the guy was chipping while Martin was engaged, or actually needed the help.

8. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Richie has been a clean citizen here. He has matured and controlled his anger and emotions. "Dark Richie" from his Rams and Bills days would have been ejected for stomping a mud puddle in that guys ***... unfortunately his old rep continues to follow him...

Larryfinfan likes this.
  9. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Cushing just ain't the same without the PEDs... go figure... :shifty:

GMJohnson and SICK like this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Cogs is so far in Smith's head, he's made it his home and is ordering IKEA end tables.

Seriously, if Ritchie wins the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes, they'll have to knock on Antonio's face.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    no, are you really calling Tannehills awareness or anticipation of the rush on that play encouraging?

He basically froze and ducked, I'm happy it worked out though..

I'm trying to figure out if he's gonna be great Taz.

smahtaz likes this.
  12. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying what Martin did wasn't special. He blocked a guy, yes one on one, 3 seconds after the snap, for all of what 2 seconds before tanny took off. Lets not act as if he stoned reed off the snap. That's all I'm saying. He did ok. Everyone blocking did.

13. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I didn't see him as frozen. His helmet was turning as he was going thru his progressions and he seemed to be looking for an open man. He happened to be turning his head to the left at about 11 o'clock as Cushing came into the play from about the 2 o'clock position. He still showed good ability and balance while escaping. I think his pocket awareness and ability to "feel" the pressure will improve the more he plays. He already outplayed his last performance against Houston last year with this game.

14. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I dont' see the significance of whether he blocked his man a 10th of a sec after the snap or 15 seconds. He blocked his man once engaged and helped protect his QB. He didn't need to be special and never really does. We just need him to be average and if he ends up above that, then great. So far, he has exceeded expectations and shown improvement over the last few games of last season and throughout the preseason.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    he didn't escape, that's the point, he braced himself for contact, and came out out if it alive..I think he has to do a better of anticipating, and reacting before it arrives.

16. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I don't see him bracing until Cushing hits him, then in a split second, he braced, balanced, and secured the ball - and ran. Agree on the anticipation, but we really Jerry and Louis to get healthy fast. The kid wants to deliver the football down the field. Hell, if he'd had the Pats OLine, he would have eaten Houston alive.

17. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah no ****, it looked like a face mask when I saw it live.

18. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    why is this important?

Ohio Fanatic and Paul 13 like this.
  19. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I doubt we see them play each other in the preseason... ever again.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    All qbs need more time, he paused, he stayed static, all I can say for him on that play was he was strong enough to hold his ground, he stayed in the same spot even though his first read wasn't there...

I'm confident Sherman realizes he's got pretty average instincts as it pertains to escapability and will move the pocket all over the place once regular season starts..

21. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Richie is awesome. Beat up Smith and then get him to lose his cool and get a fine probably in excess of 10k. Hes like our own friendly dolphin troll who beats up opponents and takes their best shot only to laugh at them.

Claymore95, DHPVW, SICK and 1 other person like this.
  22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    There's a play, on the drive where Keller goes down, after that where Incognito is blocking Swearinger. I was just waiting for IT to happen. Unfortunately it didn't. You could see that Incog wanted a piece of him though. :lol:

23. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Cog and smith, all the questionable hits last night, topped off with the fact that we have never beaten them equals bad blood in the making for future contests. Kind of intriguing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

24. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Damned spell checker. It must not have "mettle" in it... :shifty:

I concur, btw...

Stitches and Larryfinfan like this.
  25. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    You related to Stitches by any chance?

26. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    I'm a man, but I love Richie Incognito. #nohomo

DHPVW and SICK like this.
  27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If anyone wants to buy me a jersey, make it an Incognito #68. I cannot recall when I've liked a Dolphins guard better.

DHPVW likes this.
  28. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Comments on this play: I love that Cogs plays with attitude. - There are only 3 recievers in routes on this play - Gibson/Wallace on deep routes and Clay underneath on a short out. Thomas and Sims are kept in to block. The Texans are blitzing 6, with Cushing (56) coming late, as his assignment is obviously Thomas, when Cushing (56) realizes Thomas isn't releasing into a pattern he comes and makes it 7 on the Blitz. That leaves the Texans with 4 on coverage and we can see Clay was in single coverage, Gibson is jammed and struggling to get open, and Wallace gets jammed and is likely Safety Doubled Deep.

Tannehill reads the play poorly right from the play-action and by the time he comes to Clay who should have been his first and only option, it is to late. Cushing makes a nice read and good decision to commit to the blitz once he reads Thomas on pick up duty, but then makes a poor tackle. The reads for Tannehill should have been quick, Blitz, Both WR's Jammed/with Safety Help, Check down - immediately with a Zip to Clay! Also - the play is designed poorly, Thomas should jam his man on blitz pick up duty then release into the flat to give the QB a later check down pattern. A verbal release is even better. In the end, this play sucks, it is vanilla as it gets and Clays short out is a first option or it is useless, making the deep routes run by the WR's either a committed must throw or is useless. It requires the QB read instantly his target, which should have been Clay.

In order to fix this play, Clay has to run an IN then Stop and Back OUT, so that his pattern lasts longer and he is still in an active pattern if a check down comes. (Which should have come immediately). Also, have Thomas on a verbal release or an automatic Jam release, then you have another option in the right flat in case of blitz. Sometimes it won't be immediately clear that the deep routes aren't available (although it was here) and you want to give the QB a chance to feel it out longer and still have options to check down to. The current design of this play doesn't time right, the play sucks.

Come on Coaches, you gotta give this kid something better than this to work with.

sandcastle likes this.
  29. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Clabo ****ing stonewalled Watt.....love that!

Paul 13 likes this.
  30. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    Nice blitz pick-up by Daniel Thomas. He's really, really been impressive lately.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  31. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    That wasn't Watt... that was Crick. Who? No who is on second (string).

32. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    You sure? Looked like Watt to me, had the bicep brace on his right arm and everything...

33. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    You're right, #93

Paul 13 likes this.
  34. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think you don't understand the point of a chip. It's just to disrupt or throw off his intended pass rush path. The chip was successful and made Martin's job easier.

Stitches likes this.
  35. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Was it the handsome countenance, the engaging personality, the boundless intellect, or the witty humor that gave it away? :shifty:

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  36. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Sure I do, we just have a difference of opinion on what occurred. What I also understand is that people are looking for reasons to knock Martin. The big man is in his first season as our starting LT after a bad season learning RT while OJT and people seem to be going out of their way to find fault with his game. Chipping was also done while Long was there and no one made an issue of it.

Martin is doing far better than he was projected to play at this point by those who were early on knocking his abilities before seeing him in a game.

GMJohnson and MrClean like this.
  37. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Here's the problem with what's happening here. No one has said anything negative about Martin in this thread. You have such an issue with people seeing what actually happened and not standing up and applauding what Martin did, that you seem to think what we are saying is a knock against him.

That's not the case.

38. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Saying that people have been looking for reasons to knock Martin wasn't aimed directly at you, but is has been occurring if you go through a number of threads on the forum. Also, I don't expect anyone to applaud his play as he hasn't done anything but be average.

39. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I don't see how we can have a difference of opinion. I didn't say my opinion about Martin's play. I just said he had some help due to Clay chipping his man. Did I say anything how Martin does or does not need the help? No. I just noted what occured during the play.

No opinion. Just fact.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Is it because you both have male and female genitalia?

cuchulainn likes this.