1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ricky Outplayed His Stats

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rhody Phins Fan, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Is it just me or did Ricky look really good tonight? But then I looked at the numbers and he had 10 carries for 31 yards, one of which was for 11 yards so his other 9 carries went for 20 yards total. He only had two carries over two yards.

I was really surprised when I saw his numbers because he looked really good out there.

RickyNeverInhaled and Jackson like this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I thought our offensive line looked terrible in the run game most of the night. I had no opinion on whether Ricky looked good or bad (minus a few nice efforts) because I didnt really have a chance to see him run. He was down too quickly.

3. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    When did ricky ever look bad, If we were to give him the ball as a starter he would surprise alot of people again.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    A lot of times actually in my opinion. He's never had an extremely high YPC stat, because he goes down quickly a lot. He also looked bad dropping that pass in the endzone which was a perfect throw.

gafinfan likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Psshaw...The patriots have the division sewed up, why worry about Ricky Williams, ESPN's "experts" have us already buried...

RW looked good tonight...all he needs is more carries.

6. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

We had success running outside the tackles. Both the Ricky run and the Ted Ginn reverse. Inside the tackles was another story. Lex Hilliard, I thought, hit the hole the hardest of our running backs, but he was playing mainly against scrubs.

I have a feeling that Sparano and Co. will demand better effort in the running game going forward. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you see more rushes in the next game to get some game time reps for the boys.

cdz12250 and gunn34 like this.
  7. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    I saw Ricky look really good on a couple of carries but I don't remember the others which clearly were not successful at all. The offensive line was a mess so we cant take too much away from this performance.

8. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Got you :pity: Even the best Wr drop passes lets cut him because he missed a catch.I really dont know what games your watching if anything ricky has one hell of a burst when he gets the ball and a open field.

Ronnie mostly gets cought from behind ,Go check some old games...

9. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Didn't Ricky drop a TD pass?

10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    He looked pretty good to me out there for being the first preseason game. What concerned me was the lack of running room our line gave the backs to run up the middle. Oh, and the fact he dropped that td pass :pity: Other than that, i'd say it was an alright start for williams.

11. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    ehh he had a crucial holding call in the redzone, then drops a touchdown in his hands...

he had one good carry on the jet sweep, and the one where he fought for a few extra yards to get the first down...

i think he ran fine, there weren't many holes for any of our backs early on... but he made too many mistakes

12. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    also, the Jags front is one of the hardest to run up the gut on. There are never many holes in the line vs them.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    1)Ricky really looked good. the quickness, burst of power & speed were all there. Williams looks very promising for 2009. Run Ricky Run!

2)the Orca-5 are learning how to dance. timing has to be developed & collectivity honed. the offensive line depends on timing & collective movement more than any other unit in football. It takes time. Now, they have specifics to work on in reaching their potential. I expect them to improve quickly, as offensive lines go. Should be ready to smash faces & open holes for the run game by the opener, by game four they'll be awesome & by the end of the season one of the top five in the NFL.
    3) the Offensive Line & Running Game are an event of simultaneous occurrence. without the Orca-5 achieving potential the Tandem will suffer, the pass game will not get off the ground & our defense will be on the field too long to be effective as a unit. The Orca-5 have to come through for Miami in 2009 for us to have a shot at the big brass ring.

cdz12250 likes this.
  14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Lots of guys look great when they hit the open field. I never said Ricky was a bad player, but he's human. He's pretty much had one career year and a bunch of "good" to "above average" ones and everyone wants to make him into a hero.

I also agree that even the best drop passes, but that one just looked really bad.

15. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Ronnie is that you ? :tongue2: you better start packing

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That sounds like a lot like Ronnie Brown except there's no incredible career year in there.

17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Ricky is a ProvenBull, the RealDeal, the FranchiseBack, a Once in a Decade Phenomenon:hump:
    the only question is will he return to form? certainly, in training camp & in this first preseason game he shows signs of a return to form.
    I say:
    :hammertime:Run Ricky Run!:dolphin:

SargeZ33 likes this.
  18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008

That's just the subjective fan opinion. A coach would look at last night's performance and say he had 3 good runs that netted first downs, 7 nothing runs, a drop that cost us a TD and a holding penalty that took us out of the redzone.

Overall it was an average performance, but the RW fans only see those three runs and ignore or excuse everything else. I wouldn't be surprised if in their minds those 7 runs where he got stuffed (I'm not even saying they was his fault) they attributed to or assumed it was another back who ran it. :lol:

19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    :theman:Run Ricky Run!
    imagine Ricky Williams running @ full tilt, the Beast of the Second Half in full stride:party:once again!

20. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    Every Running back in the NFL gets caught from behind, even AP, even RW.

21. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    once Williams turns the corner he doesn't get caught from behind. maybe if someone has an angle on the run, they can catch him but the guy still has serious afterburners that Brown never possesesed to this day

22. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I saw Ricky in the first half, and I liked his quickness, and he would stay in bounds, and wasn't looking to duck out. I liked what he did, except for dropping the TD.:wink2: He would have been even better if there was better run blocking.

23. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think the OP might be referring to this shot Rotoworld and others took at him:

To me, Ricky looked better than Ronnie on Mon. He ran and looked like he was in top shape. He didn't get dropped very often on initial contact, had some nice moves, and fought for yards. His YPC is a direct result of our OL's $@*ty performance in run blocking, IMO.

My only knock on Ricky for the night was dropping that TD that Henne put on the money.

Made me remember last year in Week 17 against NY when he dropped that TD bomb from Pennington. Gotta make those catches, Ricky.

cdz12250 and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  24. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Naa really were talking about the ones who get cought at a high rate, :tongue2: read the thread before posting something everyone knows :tantrum:

25. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    maybe Williams will be the one in line for the accolades & new contract @ the end of the season?
    however
    what we know is that Brown is best when running Tandem & running Tandem with Williams is going to be awesome once the Orca-5 start to get that push up front to open holes & beat down defenses. the prospects for a strong running game are excellent in 2009

26. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    My prediction, Ricky promoted to #1 back by end of the pre-season. Run Ricky Run!!!!

27. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    There is zero chance of that happening.

mullingan likes this.
  28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You mean the way the Patriots caught Ronnie from behind :wink2:

This Ricky vs Ronnie thing is pointless. They are both VERY good backs, and if you guys will notice I never brought Ronnie into this.

mullingan likes this.
  29. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Sparano Is that you

30. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    They're both good and cobbs isn't bad either. We are lucky to have some decent runners. The weakness in the run game to me at least seems to be blocking which I believe will improve with time.

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's ridiculous. It would take an injury for that to occur.

32. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    I don't have to be the head coach of the Miami Dolphins to know that they aren't going to start Ricky over a younger better runningback.

first&goal likes this.
  33. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Ok ronnie your the best but you better start packing ,Mark my words you will be gone by next year.:hi5:

34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Maybe, but it will be contract related not ability based. And RW's contract is rather high too. I believe he makes like $3.5 million this year. That's rather hefty for a back up running back. With RW's age it might make more sense to let RW go, pay RB and elevate Hilliard and Cobbs.

Alex44 likes this.
  35. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    would not be quick to judge Williams as over the hill yet
    he just might have a few good years left
    as for Brown, he is & always has been & will continue to be an excellent TandemBack
    with all due respect, you cannot compare Ronnie to Ricky
    if Williams returns to his game, he is the man
    if he returns a step behind, then he'll still have an excellent game running Tandem with Brown

SargeZ33 likes this.
  36. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    :yes:

37. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think you can. They have pretty much identical career YPC stats. Behind pretty much the same line.

38. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    compare the complete careers of the two & get back to me
    then you'll understand why Williams has such a loyal & fanatical following
    there is no comparison, starting with their university years through Ricky's Time of Trouble
    Ronnie is an excellent TandemBack, Ricky is/was a premier FranchiseBack. two different animals
    both are good friends & nice guys & play on the same team & running Tandem, are probably the best in the NFL

Williams is a Once a Decade Event. hope he can bring on his A-Game into the final years of his career.
    it is a thing of beauty: Run Ricky Run!:up:

39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think people over estimate RW based on that one great year. The truth is that RW hasn't been that RW before or since.

And in my mind he was just incredible in 2002 (among the best ever), but when I compared CT's highlight Gifs for both RW and RB I was shocked that RB's highlights were actually more impressive. I had to reassess my impressions from an objective point of view. Then I looked at the pace RB was on in his one year under Cam and from game three on he was on pace to nearly match RW's 2002 season. And I believe that in total yards he was on pace to actually surpass RW's production. Now obviously RW gets some points for durability, but I think people under estimate RB's talent.

My guess is that RB's more patient, less explosive style (at the line) makes them think less of RB. And RW always had (and I believe still has) that great stiff arm that kept tacklers off his legs and provided more long runs. I think that was such an exciting move that it raised RW's legend. But when it comes to actual ability to produce RB has shown himself to be as capable as RW ever was.

And I find it more likely that RB at 28+ can replicate that production than RW at 32+ can.

Rhody Phins Fan, mullingan and Alex44 like this.
  40. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    we shall see
    in the worse hypothesis Williams has lost a step & is only great
    this will not impact the Tandem. it would still remain @ the top of the NFL running game
    the Tandem from Hell will burn turf behind the Orca-5:yes:
    at his best, well: Run Ricky Run! & all that goes with it
    it's all good stuff :up: