1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ricky running behind Long

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The Aqua Crush, Aug 21, 2008.

1. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    So i finally after the third playing of it saw the first quarter on NFL network this morning before work. It was great to see that Oline, it just pushed the Jags first unit around like ragdolls.

The one play however that stood out was the second last rush by ricky i believe before the touchdown, it was a run to the left behind Long. The jags line seemed to have all collapsed to long's side with not much room on the left side (and long and Smiley seemed to at least hold the line) but the right side really opened up, a simple cut back by ricky and it was one LB between him and the endzone.

Normally i'm used to seeing ricky see that opportunity, instead of following the play called and going though the motions.

It made me think that he either didn't see the opportunity to the right side with paydirt easily reachable or he just really feels comfortable to gain good yardage running to the left behind long, which considering the overload by the jags still turned into a 4 yard gain, which was also impressive.

I am starting to get the feeling ricky not only feels this is the best line in miami he's ever run behind, but he feels very strongly about Long and how easy he's going to make it for ricky to get to the lb's level. I think RIcky feels that if he sticks behind Long, good things will happen.

Its something i'll look for against KC, if ricky can get to the LB on the left side without getting touched, i think he's going to break a lot of long runs and find the endzone a lot easier than ever before. And i'm sure its something he is extatic about.

Media guys seem to question Long's pass protection and talk about it all too frequently, but i think they overlook and underappreciated the other aspect about him, not just how good or polished his run blocking is, but how dominant it really is.

Not sure if anyone else has thought of this, but i think Long has helped rejuvinate ricky quite a bit, even though we haven't heard much about from the reporters.

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    so a 4 yard run got you thinkin of ALL that eh?? :lol:

3. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Hahha yeah, what can i say, not only does it feel good having ricky running near the endzone, running behind Jake gets me pretty excited :lol:

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    oh bro im right there with you......to see ricky re-energized and running strong behind our beast of a 1st overall pick.....gets me giddy, like i havent been in years!!!! :knucks:

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  5. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    woot

6. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    you know when i saw that play, i just cheered. i don't think i worried about trust amongst the o-line or any of that. :tongue: ;)

SICK likes this.
  7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I remember that play aqua.. there was a gaping hole to the right, and he kept plowing ahead.. I even complained as it was happening.. ohh how could you miss that hole.. but then, like you said, four yards worked good enough.

8. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    It was more then just the 4 yards received on the ground. That's what made it great.

9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I think, you know sometimes you just miss. No matter the vision, split millisecond decisions have to be made ...

It's like the best hitter in the game today sitting on a hanging breaking ball over the plate. He's going to go back later and go "dayuuuuummn!"

Plus, the guy is a little rusty. Hasn't played real NFL football since 2005.

10. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    SEEEE!!!! Now you are becoming a Ricky fan once again. I remember when you did not want him back on the Phins. :tongue2:

11. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    I was teary eyed seeing ricky in the end zone again. What beauty!

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    :cry::evil:

13. IceStorm

IceStorm New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Well lads, I do clearly remember that in 2002...Rickys Pro Bowl year...that he had said about the offensive line "I'd go to war with those guys".

Ricky had a great year and led the NFL in rushing.
    So either he's pumping up his guys and creating a "all for one" atmosphere creating a bond between them. Or he really knows about his linemen.

This year he's already said that this is the best line he's run behind.
    Lets hope for another NFL leading duo.

14. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well talent wise it's definitely a better line.

I would venture to say that Long will be at least as good as Dixon if not better in both pass and run blocking. Nails was better than Smiley, especially that year when he was monstrous. At C I'd say Satele is a bit better than the Ruddy of that day. Thomas will be about equivalent to a bit better than Todd Perry. Carey is a better player than Todd Wade.

15. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I can imagine this being a very very good line after the initial growing pains (hopefully maybe none!)

16. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    I will NEVER forget Roman... I have simply accepted his value.. and I still root for the number, not the guy.

17. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    With you 100% Marty. I haven't even been able to say his name since "the first time." Mike and everyone at the sports zone keep saying "wait until you see him score his first touchdown - you'll come around." As a matter of fact, they all have a bet going to see if I'm going to jump up and yell "run, Ricky, run" like I used to. Not going to happen. :up:

cnc66 likes this.
  18. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    I think we could lead the league in rushing attempts and yards. Nah, I know we can.

19. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    we'll see how you feel by week 5. 680 yards into the season. :up:

Loyal Fin and njfinfan like this.
  20. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    :no:

:wink2:

21. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    Gish.. I will be happy because a Miami Dolphin accomplished it, not williams

go 34 ! :hi5:

NEVER run ricky run..:pity:

GISH likes this.
  22. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Ahhhh, everyone will come around when RW is tearing up defenses. I'll be listening real close to all those "run ricky run" chants. I'll hear all of you guys! :up:

njfinfan likes this.
  23. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    You can't forget or overlook what Ricky Williams has done, especially since he is a step away from a lifetime Ban from the NFL.
    However, whatever he has done you have to put the Dolphins first, before personal feelings and dislike of Ricky. If Ricky gives us something to cheer about, I will cheer for him. If Ricky is one of the league leaders in rushing I will root for him, if he helps Miami to win and helps make our offense a force again I will be very happy for him and the Dolphins. All of this not because I condone what he has done in the past, but I will overlook it for the betterment of my beloved Dolphins.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.