1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ricky Williams - "Martin doesn't belong in the NFL"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vertical Limit, Nov 5, 2013.

1. M1NDCRlME

M1NDCRlME Fear The Spear

Oct 26, 2009
    Orlando
    Ricky says about as well as it could be said...

2. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    The title is, "MAYBE Martin doesn't belong in the NFL."

If ya can't take the time to post anything but the title and the link then you could at least get those right.

Puka-head, Mainge, DeDolfan and 6 others like this.
  3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This pretty much hits in the nail on the head. Martin wasn't cut out for football, realized it, and decided to leave. All this other circus stuff happening afterwards was really just an attempt to get money out of the Dolphins.

Da 'Fins, GMJohnson and the 23rd like this.
  4. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Who's the bad guy here ???
    I think the people blindly bashing Richie over a voicemail transcript are of lower class than he is for being such a jackass meathead amongst friends.

GMJohnson and xphinfanx like this.
  5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Get over yourself, you are seriously that mad because I forgot to type ONE word? Jesus, what's with some of you people these days.

6. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    It's a big difference both in tone and context.

7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Changes the perception of what he said, no?

That and I think it's lazy when people just post a link but I don't wanna be a bully now.

Rocky Raccoon, MikeHoncho and MrClean like this.
  8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Thank you. I'd already read the article before coming on here, and knew Ricky said "maybe", and was going to post the same thing you did. Good on ya.

Mainge and slickj101 like this.
  9. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    But he spelled it correct.

10. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Wonder if Martin really was in fear of Richie killing his mom from the text? Men should be able to be men did his parents overstep his privacy.

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Ricky said it like it is... as always. spot on!

cdz12250 likes this.
  12. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    Jonathan Martin's obvious problems do nothing to hide the fact that Richie Incognito has massive mental problems as well, and as far as I can tell Richie was the driving force in all of this regardless of his intentions. He doesn't get to save face for acting like a lunatic simply because Martin isn't a beacon of emotional strength.

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    If Ricky wanted to, he could be a great NFL analyst. Probably among the best ever.

Puka-head, Da 'Fins, cdz12250 and 3 others like this.
  14. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Ricky may be absolutely correct that Martin doesn't belong in the NFL. But that determination should be made on the merits of his play and not whether he can endure nonsense like this.

I am a huge Ricky fan but neither he nor anybody else has yet to articulate how what Incognito was doing was calculated to make Martin a better football player. There is no argument for any of this stuff except that people like to feel superior over others when the opportunity arises

15. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Really your that anal about it the title get a life or go relief your stress some other place maybe with martin.

The guy made a simple post he saw:pity:

16. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Agree the fact he messed up probably caused him any shot

17. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I dont think it right what Richie did but come on were not in high school .I dont want any of them on my team .

18. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    Martin may be a bit too sensitive but....Richie is a prick....to put it mildly.

19. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Point is, if you're not a member of my family then you're ignorant as to what is or is not considered over the line and the same thing applies to an NFL locker room.

If Martin felt he was being bullied he could have handled it in a lot of ways that didn't involve quitting or bringing a firestorm of controversy onto the team as they begin their playoff run. As a phins fan he is dead to me.

20. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Ricky must've read my yesterday's post. :shifty:

Aqua4Ever04, #1 fan and MrClean like this.
  21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, he just is not a good football player this year, that has not went away.

22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not wired that way, he is studying to be a Doctor, an analysts chair would seem trite with him in it.

"..yeah I wanted to be a Dr, but wound up on CBS instead..."

Bleech

23. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Which is why I said "If he wanted to" Good on him for pursuing his dreams now.

24. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    One of the few former football players with something more than "Richie bad. Richie Racist. Richie must go." to say, good for him to actually look at the situation and give some original thoughts on it instead of mindlessly piling on.

jldolfan and MrClean like this.
  25. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Where does Mike Pouncey stand on this? He would know much more than we can speculate.

26. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    That's a good interview there. The rest of the media, I lump them in with the refs bad calls group.

27. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Really brilliant take by Ricky on the subject. Not only gave eloquent voice to what many were thinking about the appropriateness of the "bullying" concept in the NFL, but he also presented some things that make you think a little bit.

What I found interesting was the concept that Jonathan Martin just found his own ways to fight back. Ricky is right. Saving all of these texts and voice mails, that seems pretty calculated. So does how Martin and his representatives have been able to work the press like a piano, and present their evidence to the team, etc. It's earned Martin a paid vacation while Richie Incognito has an unpaid one. Jonathan Martin was not able to fend for himself in an NFL locker room in the same way that 99.99% of football players are naturally able to, but he DID find a way to fight back.

So when Ricky said that really both of them are victims of one another, I thought that was a particularly brilliant way to put it.

Mile High Fin, jldolfan, jim1 and 2 others like this.
  28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Asking for someone to read and re-write the title correctly is too much when they can't even post a piece of the article huh? :lol:

Apparently it wasn't that simple after all.

29. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Both victims yet one is on a paid vacation.

30. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yeah but he fought back by selling out and essentially breaking fraternal code that had existed years before his sorry *** arrived, and I'm not sure I'd call what he did "fighting back" b/c he's actually letting others do his fighting for him which is pretty damn cowardly and passive. All he did was provide a peek into typical, accepted behavior of modern day gladiators, knowing that once the media catches wind it would be judged as if it were a standard employee situation rather than one atypically comprised solely of testosterone-flowing young men who beat the sh-t out of each other for a living and are apart of one of the country's most elite fraternities, which means Miami would then be forced to treat it as though it were a standard employee situation considering there aren't amendments to labor law under a subsection labeled NFL.

Martin should've done the honorable thing and quit rather than begrudgingly shake the entire system just b/c his lone pathetic butt couldn't cope with life in the NFL.
    A pair of attorneys raising a pansy son-- how apropros.

M1NDCRlME, cuchulainn and MrClean like this.
  31. Phinastic

Phinastic Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Ricky is the man.

PlanB likes this.
  32. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    I thought what Antrel Rolle had to say in the clip was very interesting and I agree with him.

MrClean and ToddPhin like this.
  33. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Ricky tells it like it is. And if anyone has empathy for J. Martin it would be Ricky Williams. Ricky had his own issues socially. But he also had talent , something Martin does not. So he looks for the scape Goat. In comes Big mean WHITE Ritchie. I really can't wait until the whole truth comes out.

34. jldolfan

jldolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Greensboro, NC

I have yet to hear an important aspect of this whole thing, what was the relationship between Incognito and Martin. That to me will carry more weight as to weather this was usual banter between two friends or what the vast majority of the media are portraying, Incognito is a bully! You nor does anyone besides the people in that locker room know what that relationship is. The fact that Martin waited an entire week to come forward only after the realization he would not be paid, speaks volumes!

35. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    This much is odd.............

I understand what he's getting at or maybe he didn't realize that they played alongside each other and not across from.

36. Kingleo702

Kingleo702 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    He used weed as a scapegoat. Plus Ricky Williams retirement cost the Coach and GM their job.

37. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

Eh? Ricky is talking about bullying your opponent, i.e. the guys in front of you (across the LOS) trying to stop you.

38. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Ricky really should consider an advanced degree in clinical psychology. He is a natural. People call him a flake, but he's analytical, sees very clearly, is able to articulate what he sees, and he never cares whom he offends by telling things the way he sees them. He could help a lot of people with personality problems.

Puka-head and Da 'Fins like this.
  39. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Funny that I watched about an hour or two of the "Richie" story going around on ESPN this morning and never heard a peep of this statement from Ricky. Listened to the radio too, not a peep. Nothing but piling on. This was the best analysis of the situation that I have read. He didn't take a side and told the truth from the perspective of someone that grew up in locker rooms. Ricky isn't a dumb jock or a mindless follower either, his thoughts were actually very grounded and level headed.