1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Dio

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by femalefinfan, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Just heard Ronnie James Dio passed away of what appears to be cancer. He's in "heaven and hell" right now. \m/

BLITZ, finyank13, TrueDolFan and 17 others like this.
  2. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Ah man, that sucks. He was one of heavy metal's pioneers. RIP Dio.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd heard he was ill when a concert tour was canceled but I must admit surprise that he is gone so quickly.

4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Ahhh ****. Didnt even know he was sick. Always remember him as the one that got me into metal back in the early 80s. Guess i feel lucky being able to see one of his more recent shows, that was Heaven and Hell two years ago in San Bernardino as they supported Priest. He still sounded great! Maiden and Rush are my fav bands of all time and i will admit both Bruce and Geddy have lost something in their voices from their best. But not RJD, he was amazing to be able to still bring it. Very sad to hear he has passed. Holy Diver has made the final jump.

5. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I never realized how old he was; he was 68. Pretty good life, still too young to pass.

6. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Man, I'm so sad right now. One of the best concerts I've ever been to was a RJD concert in 2001 @ the House of Blues in Orlando. He was perfect. He sang his *** off, nothing sloppy with the high vocals or anything. I'm glad I got to see him live at least once. Thanks for the music Ronnie, you will be missed, you were the best metal vocalist of all time.

7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    68, that's just rediculous...

8. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I'm completely devastated.

I don't want this to sound overly corny, but in 1976 a very impressionable teenager just starting his musical career heard an album called Rainbow Rising, and it formed the basis in which he'd look at melody and lyric writing throughout his entire career.

34 years later, he still looked up to the shortest man in rock & roll.

R.I.P. Ronnie. There will never be another like you. Your voice, your class, your magick...they can never be duplicated or replaced.

Long Live Rock & Roll and long live Ronnie James Dio. :cry:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRfusUGd5I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRfusUGd5I[/ame]

9. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I just heard this a few moments ago...

Every interview I ever saw he was a genuine nice guy. Super intelligent and focused. What a talent, gone too soon.

Horns up and listen to "Heaven and Hell" seems like a very good idea.

10. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    He was diagnosed with stomach cancer about 6 months ago FFF...makes it all the more sad for me since that's the same thing that killed my dad.

11. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
  12. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Sorry to hear that brother. Breast cancer killed my mom two years ago.

SICK, TJamesW_Phinfan and Pagan like this.
  13. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nebGIkr5UO0&feature=related"]YouTube- Dio - Don't Talk To Strangers[/ame]

Den54 likes this.
  14. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Very sad....
    Dio was a big part of my musical upbringing.
    I still remember the day Holy Diver came out and how blown away I was. Not to mention Heaven and Hell being one of the greatest heavy metal records of all time.
    I've seen him live many times including with the Sabs.
    heavy metal lost one of it forefathers.....he will be missed. :sad:

15. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    He wasnt that nice a guy. I lived in LA for a couple of years and I knew a 14 year old girl he tried to date rape. She was able to get away because she started screaming. He was a bit of a twisted puppy but still a great singer. The Roman Polansky of metal lol

16. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I hope everybody that listens to metal remembers Ronnie James Dio. I hope they realize that if it wasn't for him, they wouldn't be listening to what they are currently enjoying. This guy set the standard for vocals and musical styles that are still getting used today, and will continue to be used for years to come. Everytime you hear a Five Finger Death Punch song, or Korn, or Godsmack, or any of those bands, they pay homage to this guy. He's one of the reason's they're around. This guy's music got me through high school, and was the soundtrack to a lot of good times, blasting around town raising hell as a teenager. When I think of good times, I think of Ronnie James Dio, and when I think of a great concert experience I think of the same person, and I'm eternally grateful for that. He left me with memories and music that I can pass on to my family.

17. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnohT2ai9mo&fmt=18"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnohT2ai9mo&fmt=18[/ame]

Yea, that sounds like something that was written by a sick puppy. :pity:

18. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZktrrqT1A0"]YouTube- Hear N' Aid- "Stars[/ame]

19. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    What a bummer. I loved Dio. Such a shame. RIP Dio \m/

20. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    I don't believe the date rape story.

RIP, RJD.

The vision never dies
    Life's a never ending wheel.

Lt Dan and Pagan like this.
  21. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Sorry about your dad Pagan.

Pagan likes this.
  22. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Woah. Shouldn't we be celebrating his life and music right now instead of debating something that may or may not have happened. The ink is barely dry on the death certificate. Lets leave this one alone and show some respect for one of the most influential musicians of our time.

23. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Sorry FFF...

24. femalefinfan

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    I understand. I probably would have done the same thing if people made crazy accusations the day Peter Steele died. 2 men of metal in a month. Horrible time for the genre. Hopefully this is the last of them.

Pagan likes this.
  25. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I didn't know he was sick or that he was that old. I guess I should have guessed the age though as long as he has been in the music bizz.

I sympathize with all that mentioned family with cancer in this thread. I lost my uncle to prostate cancer and my mother to lung cancer. it's a horrible disease with treatments as bad or worse than the disease. Although my father survived prostate cancer and is cancer free over 10 years now.

I feel for Dio's family and friends knowing that cancer touches so much more than just the one that actually has it. Dio is at peace his pain ended but his family carries the memories of his final painful moments.

R.I.P. Dio and thank you for your music.

Pagan and NaboCane like this.
  26. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    this is my memory of Dio in those early days
    a young Vivian Campbell on guitar ( the guy blew me away back then)
    Jimmy Bain on bass
    Appice on drums
    a forgotten gem from the first solo record

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwX8yF8k0ls&a=AdeTJtR1sD0&playnext_from=ML"]YouTube- Dio - Don't Talk To Strangers Live[/ame]

27. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Enough about Adam's story. You all have the option to believe it or not. I personally dont see Adam as a liar so I see no reason not to believe it.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  28. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    greatest metal singer EVER!!!! R.I.P. RJD

29. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Holy Diver blew me away too. I shredded that cassette from continuous play back in the mid eighties. I felt so empowered when I listened to his music.

I hope he is in a better place.

30. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    One last thing to clear up what might be taken the wrong way.

I never said Adam was a liar. He wasn't there and didn't see anything, so he's going on what was being told to him.

He believed what his friend told him, which is admirable. However, there isn't a shred of evidence to support her story.

But I never said he was a liar.

AND

That's very nice of whoever modded this thread to remove my DEFENSE of the man, but leave the original post slandering him. If you're going to remove the argument, remove what started it. It's a thread about his death, take away the accusation.

Lt Dan likes this.
  31. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC

i agree, like with the michael jackson thread about him dying was a cluster **** of bad mouthing and accusations (i believe you and i pagan were some of the most defending him and his death) so i agree with you about the original post being removed. That thread blew up......dont want this one to as well.

RIP RJD

32. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

:guitar:

the only dio song i know

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqn34CGO-1U"]YouTube- Dio-Holy Diver LIVE[/ame]

33. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    And there's no shred of evidence to support your argument. He has someone's word, whether you believe it or not. You have an opinion which you've reiterated over and over. There's a huge difference. You believe you're standing up for someone who you feel is a friend which is admirable too but when you go off on a tangent that is why it was deleted. And for the record the staff as a whole felt it was to be removed, not just me. Im not going to take away the accusation because its not an accusation. He is telling me and you this is what happened and like I said you have the option to not believe it.

adamprez2003 and maynard like this.
  34. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I first heard him of him when he replaced Ozzy in Sabbath. Loved his work with Rainbow and his solo stuff. I believe he was the person who started this "Devils Horn" look with his fingers.

Used by everyone now.

[​IMG]

35. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

To chime in vs. the whole rape vs. didn't rape thing..

there are a lot of musicians (who are all but human) who have done many a thing the majority of us wouldn't dream of doing. some of us have done things like it and some of us have not.

the man just died. regardless of what he did in his life he is now being judged by the universe accordingly. the music is what's really important here, and the impression he has made with it on those who care. if he raped someone i'm sure he's getting what he deserves. if he didn't then he won't. i can't say one way or the other, but largely to me it's not important and it's only as big a story as it is because of the name attached. unfortunately rape happens all the time yet the majority of it isn't reported...

not to go all mod or anything just trying to keep the peace in the thread/forum.. i don't really know too much about dio except holy diver which i posted above and that he toured with sabbath at one time, so my opinion of what he did with his personal life outside of music probably has less of a bearing than those who really know the man's accomplishments, but music is a far reaching tool that stretches the ability for people to tolerate or forgive people for their transgressions.. especially in death..

if they even did anything at all.

or something.

adamprez2003 and Pagan like this.
  36. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Go off on a tangent?

My original reply was to counter the claim, and then he kept asserting that it was a fact.

How can you say it's not an accusation when he's calling the man a rapist? Geez...I guess that's what these forums have boiled down to now huh? You can slander someone and it stays, but Goddess forbid you defend the man...then you're "going off on a tangent."

And for the record, he didn't "tell us what happened". He told us what a friend of his said happened, hours after it allegedly happened, and who chose to go tell her friends instead of the authorities. A 14 year old girl who - in Dio's 50 year career - happens to be the ONLY one he supposedly did this to. Millions of women at countless thousands of shows, and this girl is the only one he attempted to rape!

He calls Ronnie a rapist, a 'twisted puppy", and the "Roman Polansky of metal" and it's left on the thread. I didn't "just have an opinion". I defended him by saying I've met the man, know people who KNOW the man, and provide facts that debunk his claim, and it's deleted.

Staff Edit

Lt Dan likes this.
  37. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    One of my first concerts was RJD on the Last in Line tour, Rough Cutt opened up for him. It was a hell of a show, lasers, mechanical dragon....I'll miss you Ronnie you were one of my favorite vocalists.

38. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Accusation or not I feel it has no place in a thread where fans are saying goodbye to someone that touched their lives musically. I posted my goodbyes before reading through the thread and I think it's a real shame that an argument of an alleged incident has tainted it. IMO every post relating to the incident, this one included should be stricken from the thread.

39. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Brothers and sisters let's take some time enjoy the life of Ronnie James Dio that was.:wink2:

opfinistic and gunn34 like this.
  40. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    sorry but you and the staff as a whole made a huge mistake on this one
    if you remove the mud slinging and allow everyone to talk about his music and his life then the argument would have never happened
    then you blame pagan for going off on a tangent
    the real tangent was calling Dio a rapist
    you believe that story from a 14 year old girl as told by poster 25 years or so later
    you are gullible my friend :up:

Lt Dan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.