1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Risk factor looms with top pick

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    The Dolphins still seem set on taking tackle Jake Long with the No. 1 draft pick, but that plan could change if talks collapse.

The countdown toward draft day continues. And so, too, do the negotiations between the Dolphins and the agent representing Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, who remains the primary target to become the team's No. 1 overall pick Saturday.

Two weeks after the Dolphins first began talks with agent Tom Condon about a contract for Long, the team has yet to abandon its initial plan of reaching a deal with the lineman. The Dolphins also have chose not to negotiate with any other prospects at this point.

The sentiment within the Dolphins' building remains strongly behind drafting the lineman. The decision to focus on Long apparently came largely as a result of in-depth research into the risk involved when selecting a tackle during the first round.

The team's findings during that breakdown of past tackles have led it toward feeling more comfortable about the prospect of selecting Long over such prospects as defensive ends Chris Long and Vernon Gholston.

That is not to say the Dolphins don't hold both players in high regard -- nor does it mean the team still won't draft one of the two if talks for Jake Long collapse in the coming days.

That is why the two sides -- Condon and the Dolphins -- are working hard to hammer out a contract by Saturday, something that would ultimately allow them to avoid a messy holdout that could linger deep into training camp if an agreement isn't in place.

Both sides are privately in favor of completing a deal, given that neither party wants to see a reoccurrence of last year's issues between the Raiders and first-overall pick JaMarcus Russell.

If indeed a deal between Jake Long and the Dolphins breaks down, it has not been hinted which direction the Dolphins would lean between Gholston and Chris Long.

''You just hope for the best,'' Gholston said Monday. ``At the end of the day, they're going to make the best decision for their team. If that's the direction they want to go [selecting Jake Long], who am I to say any different?''

Although Gholston could be more suited toward Miami's 3-4 system, vice president of football operations Bill Parcells is still intrigued by Chris Long's potential. Because of their size, both players believe they would probably be used as outside linebackers rather than as defensive ends if drafted by Miami.

''I think I'd fit well with their 3-4 scheme,'' Gholston said. ``They'd look at me as an outside 'backer. Look at their history with [Cowboys Pro Bowl linebacker] DeMarcus Ware in Dallas. They've been solid at drafting at that position.

link
    http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/504517.html

2. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Just wait and see how many premo LT's hit the market next year and wiat and see how many premo OLB's hit the market next year. I think finding a LT that can anchor your line for years to come won't be an option unless you draft one. Some here don't believe Long is that LT. I very much disagree. I think he will be an anchor and then some. Big, mean and nasty...just the way you like a LT to be.