1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robert Griffin III vs. Cam Newton

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Jan 15, 2012.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I was wondering if someone could break down the differences between Robert Griffin III and Cam Newton, we he was coming out of Auburn. For the intents and purposes of this "comparison" I want to try to block out everything Newton did this year. I am simple trying to compare the two prospects to see how similar/different they are and who would be the better NFL prospect (and would have been drafted first) if they would have entered the draft together the same year.

Here are the stat comparisons:

Robert Griffin III- 6'2 220 (as reported by ESPN)
    2011- (291/402)...(72.4%)...(4,293 Passing Yards)...(37 Passing TDs)...(6 INTs)...(10.7 Yards per Attempt)...(330.2 Passing Yards per Game)...(699 rushing yards)...(53.8 rushing yards per game)...(3.9 yards per rush)...(10 rushing TDs)...(27 sacks)...(131.4 QB Rating)

Cam Newton- 6'6 247
    2010- (185/280)...(66.1%)...(2,854)...(30 Passing TDs)...(7 INTs)...(10.2 Yards per Attempt)...(203.9 Passing Yards per Game)...(1,284 rushing yards)...(91.7 rushing yards per game)...(4.9 yards per rush)...(20 rushing TDs)...(23 sacks)...(124.9 QB rating)

***I chose to only look at RG3's Junior year since Newton only played at Auburn one year before going to the NFL***

The couple things that stats don't tell you are the conference played in, physical ability, personality. I think Cam Newton has the advantage as far as conference played in. The defenses of the SEC and Big 12 don't really compare, Newton faced must stiffer competition in college. Newton easily has the advantage in physical ability as well, he is a huge QB that can stand tall in the pocket, take a beating and get back up, and has insane arm strength. On the other side I really don't know if RG3 will match his listed stats of "6'2 and 220" his height seems about right, but I'd like to see him with more weight on his frame. There is a big difference between being hit/tackled by college players and NFL players. Lastly, RG3 has the advantage in personality. He doesn't has a checked past and excelled in school. There are no questions flying around whether or not he would be able to grasp a NFL playbook as there were with Newton.

By purely looking at the statistics it is astonishing to me how much more RG3 threw the ball compared to Newton. Also surprising was how low RG3's rushing yards per attempt were. By looking at the stats alone Griffin looks like the better QB prospect. That being said there are still things that need to be answered about his game: is he a system QB, does he have the body to make it in the NFL, etc. Newton had similar questions as well.

If I was the GM of the team picking first in last years draft with both of these prospects declaring I honestly think I would be tempted to take Robert Griffin III over Cam Newton. What do you all think?