1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ronnie Brown, 19th best runningback in the NFL according to ESPN

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolpns13, Jun 4, 2008.

1. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi...ews/story?id=3422768&univLogin02=stateChanged

19. Ronnie Brown, Miami Dolphins
    Superpower -- Brown is an extremely talented player who can contribute on first and second down. He is a tough, strong inside runner who has the ability to wear down defenses. He has an excellent combination of athleticism and size around which new head coach Tony Sparano can build his offensive system.
    Kryptonite -- Injuries. Brown started the first seven games of the season last year before landing on injured reserve with a knee injury. He has never played a full 16-game season in his short career and has yet to prove he can carry a consistent load. Brown is more natural running behind a fullback and doesn't have much value as a receiver out of the backfield at this point in his career.

Oh yeah, Do you know Ronnie doesnt have much value as a reciever out of the backfield either?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    :shifty:

3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    "at this point in his career" = we wanted to say something negative and this is the best we could come up with since his injuries and offensive coordinators to date have limited his role in this regard....but boy he has the skilled if ever used probably.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If the guy could stay healthy, he could be a top back.

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    hmmm interesting. I'm not so sure id have him that low on the list. Its funny how he doesnt have much value as a receiving back... yet he had how many receiving yards last year before he went down??? hmm

alen1 likes this.
  6. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Just a little summary of recieving stats through the 1st 7 games compared to other top backs:

Ronnie: 39rec 389yards 1td
    Ladanian: 27rec 211yards 1td
    Westbrook: 51rec 435 yards 2td
    Jackson: 38rec 271yards 1td (Jacksons recieving stats for the entire season)
    Peterson: 12rec 206yards 1td

Except for Westbrook, Ronnie completely dominates over the other top backs in the league in recieving yards...

My loathing for ESPN reporting grows and grows on a daily basis

gafinfan, MonstBlitz and alen1 like this.
  7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I will agree that Brown isn't the ideal 3rd down back...but his receiving skills are adequate.

8. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    still should be higher than 19 though

9. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Hopefully opposing defenses believe this BS as well.

10. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    it obvious sports jounalists now a days do not care 1 single bit about credibility, nor do their editors. Armondo, Cole, 99% of ESPN. I mean, what does it take to get good sports reporting. Its all crap

11. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    why would you agree to that.. I think he is a very good third down back.

12. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    his Madden rating IS a 99 as a 3rd rb...:wink2:

13. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I dont think he has the elusiveness in the open field. He's more power and balance. Atleast in my opinion.

14. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    how the hell would anyone know how good a receiver Ronnie is?

he has played on one crappy team after another

he was having a pro-bowl year on a team with no other weapons until a complete moron ended it

asking how good a receiver Ronnie is is like asking how good a breather you would be in outer space

so endeth the rant

Stringer Bell likes this.
  15. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Hes one of the best revieving backs in the league. Before he got injured he was dominating as a reciever out of the backfield. The writer has absolutely no idea what he is talking about

cnc66 likes this.
  16. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    racking up yards receiving does not necessarily make you a dominant receiver.

17. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    well most of the pundits said he had the best hands of his draft, including the receivers. Some of our coaches have said his has among the best if not the best on our team. He catches the ball WELL.

alen1 and Coral Reefer like this.
  18. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    No not a dominant Receiver but was that the statement?

His production last year certainly showed he is a legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield. The writer, as usual with these media hacks these days, is just spouting out an opinion that he clearly had never done any research on.

it's "fast food" journalism these days.

19. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    It does when your a runningback and recieving is not supposed to be a specialty...I mean for a RB, what else is there besides racking up yards when they catch a pass? They're not blocking for anyone else, they are pass protecting for about 2 seconds...

In any event, other than Westbrook, through 7 games last year, Ronnie was the best recieving RB in the NFL in terms of yardage, receptions, average and almost TD's

alen1 likes this.
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

Not a good thing but I believe he was our leading receiver through 7 games wasn't he?

21. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Well I did have Westbrook and Brown on my fantasy team, so I'm well aware of what Brown did statistically. I'm just saying that you can't go by stats alone. He faced a lot of defenses that were soft and trying to run out the clock, and he certainly made the most of it. Brown has as good of hands as anyone in the league, but he doesn't have the breakaway speed and open field elusiveness that makes him a top receiver at his position, regardless of his statistics.

22. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Can't agree with that.

Some of the best WR's in the league don't have top "break away speed".
    Does that make them not top WR's?

Anquan Boldin anyone?

Production certainly does make a strong argument for whether a player has top skills or not. He has shown and you readily admit he has great hands which is a big part of the battle in being a receiver. He has also shown the ability to get out of the backfield and find areas in zones. Another key in a receiver's necessary skills.

Regardless of all that, the statement the writer made was that he has "little value" as a receiver out of the backfield. I say again, that his production last year flat out shows that statement to be bunk.

23. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    he was our leading reciever in yards and receptions until about week 13 or something

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  24. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    i can agree with that, he does know how to make soemthing out of nothing and can churn and grind out yards with the biggest linebackers in the league on his back

25. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    that last game where he dropped at the goaline must have pissed you off...

I was playing a guy with westbrook when he did that and if Westbrook went in for the TD I would lost and been eliminated from the playoffs, instead I ended up winning the whole thing... No lie!

I thanked him vigorously.. The guy i played wanted to slit his throat.

26. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

The sad part is opposing DC's are not as stupid as ESPN's writers, and they'll be game planning for Ronnie you can rest assured of that.

27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Actually that Westbrook play really had no bearing on my team.

Worst play of the season was when Lemon threw the INT, then Ronnie tore his ACL trying to make the tackle....my team was rolling at that point, and losing Brown cost me big time.

28. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Turner and Jacobs ahead of Brown ?? I don't think so. Turner hasn't proven he can carry a load yet and Jacobs is a situational back at best (at least that is how they use him)...

Brown's issue is his health. He has had good production on lousy teams in his 4 yrs, but can't seem to shake the injury bugagoo. That is what separates him from Jackson, Marony, and Johnson...guys of that ilk...

Coral Reefer likes this.
  29. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I am not a Ronnie Brown supporter at all, as I'm sure some of you have seen since I joined up in early May, but 19th? Thats a little too far down the list, IMO. He's Top 15, possibly Top 10. But 19th? There is no way there are 18 better backs than Brown with his receiving out of the backfield and his 15-20 effective carries a game. His only problem is not being able to carry the full load. But thats okay in todays NFL, change of pace backs are the new thing to do and Ricky will help Ronnie improve as Ronnie has to handle less carries and while he rehabs and gets back into action.

Marion Barber III, 8th? Is that a joke?
    Michael Turner 16th? I like The Burner, but he has exactly ZERO starts. How can you put him ahead of Brown?
    Brandon Jacobs?
    Nowaday Jamal Lewis?

Comeon ESPN.

30. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007

Reading that he doesnt have much value out of the backfeild as a reciever is one of the most ridiculous and ignorant things i have read from a sports writer ever. That statement is just absurd and proves that the people at ESPN just write things without knowing the facts.

31. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    That quote just completely discredited anything that journalist has to say and is just absolute lunacy. Aside from Coles "Ginn you should hold out" column last year, this one could be as you say, one of the most ignorant statements i have ever read.

I posted this a few posts back but here ya go if you didnt see it.. the first 7 games;

Ronnie: 39rec 389yards 1td
    Ladanian: 27rec 211yards 1td
    Westbrook: 51rec 435 yards 2td
    Jackson: 38rec 271yards 1td (Jacksons recieving stats for the entire season)
    Peterson: 12rec 206yards 1td

32. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Agreed completely.
    Ewww I agreed wth a Jets fan, I feel dirty.

124 likes this.
  33. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Times are a changin. :up:

34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    your eye for talent is now in question, your credibility on this board has just taken a hit..

Talent wise there isnt three other backs in the league that can hang, if this kid can stay healthy for the next two years we wil have one of the top three running backs in the league. {LT,AD,RB}

35. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Only good reason for Brown to be listed at 19 is because of his injury problems any other reason is a reach.

The writer stating he doesn't have much value catching the ball out of the backfield goes to show us that most of the mainstream columnists talk out of their *** most of the time.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  36. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Outrageous.

He deserves to be no higher than 31st.

Bpk

37. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Really now? Where has this top three performance been since the Dolphins took him with the second overall pick? You're seriously proclaiming him a top three running back if he can remain healthy? I don't think any Dolphin fan, except yourself, is that blinded and clueless. I think your Aqua Marine and Orange sunglasses are tinted a little too much.

38. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    That right there is a great example why I haven't watched ESPN for well over a decade. Well that and all of the senseless "Boo Yah's". :rolleyes:

Ronnie proved last year that once he was given the carries and the OL was playing well that he was indeed a top 5 RB. Infact he was on track to have a great season and possible Top 3 RB status IMO.

39. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    like2god, I like you bro, but c'mon? A Top 5 back? When has he showed that? He had a nice start last season, but we all know when you look at the numbers he still hasn't come close to being a Top 5 running back.

You could make an argument for Top 10, but Top 5? Lets see how he rehabs and if he can have a 300 carry season or at least more than 8 yards over 1,000 on the ground in a season.

40. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Until we see how Ronnie handles 300+ carries, you can't really judge him fairly.

124 likes this.