Ronnie Brown an Average Back

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Crappy Tipper, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    True. You make a good point. I guess we'll see with Pat White.

2. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I have 262 posts. I think about 200 of them are about Ronnie Brown, lol.

cnc66 likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That speed for which ronnie knocked that mother out was viloent man....

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    when you become a club member, we'll see.

5. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Should be soon.

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Our regime has Approached Ronnie Brown about a contract extension..before the season begins...much respect to our regime.

GISH, Fin D and cnc66 like this.
  7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    look for this title when you get to you tube for X rated video for cursing, under 18 chillin's must insert fingers into ears or stay out. Funny dirty adult commentary. "Earl Campbell is the Juggernaut, #@#$@!!"

same video, g rated

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfJybuzkMT0"]YouTube - Earl Campbell *INSANE*[/ame]

TiP54, like2god and djphinfan like this.
  8. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Dude, teams don't look at rushing yards and where a player ranks among the NFL leaders when determining whether or not to sign him, they look at his physical abilities, how he is used in an offense, and what type of production he gets when given the opportunity. If they did use those stats in a blind way, basically saying "he wasn't in the Top 5 so we shoudn't pay him Top 5 money", then they would be derelict of their duties as FO men and they would lose out on alot of talented players. You pay a player based on what he means to your team and what he brings in ability, when you consider what Ronnie means to this team and the ability that he has every single time he touches the ball, he's worth a large contract that is comparable to the top RB's in the game IMO. Now if he's looking to become the highest paid back, then we have an issue, but there is no indication that he's looking for record $$$.

Fin D likes this.
  9. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Elite? NO

Extension? Yes

like2god, cnc66 and jdang307 like this.
  10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Agree with nj here. Also, if the question is if he can be elite, it's yes. The ability is there. The performance, not yet.

like2god likes this.
  11. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    Hey stranger, good to see you!

NJFINSFAN1 and like2god like this.
  12. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Where did I mention rushing yards in that particular post. I said, his YPC are high, but on limited carries. When he gets 300+ carries, and keeps up his 4+ YPC, then I'll consider him elite. 200 carries with a 4+ YPC isn't elite
    Sorry, but to me production is everything. You can talk about his physical abilities and what not, but the fact of the matter is he didn't produce like an elite back. When he does, then he'll be elite.

13. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    If youy guys call this guy elite then your smoking ricky stuff ,Pleasessssssssss be for real.......dont over pay or i will lose all respect for BP ......

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think this thread has come to an end....pleasessssssssss

15. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Just agree to disagree.

16. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    It's been your whole argument from the beginning, he isn't a feature back, he isn't getting 300+ carries and putting up the same stats as the leading rushers in the game, so he isn't elite and we shouldn't resign him because we can just plug any rookie into his spot. When you talk about "tandem back", "limited carries", "more carries than Ronnie", etc that's what you're implying in a roundabout way.

The NFL is slowly moving away from using featured backs 300+ times a year to a more evenly split 2 RB offense, using your definition of what constitutes an elite RB, no RB in the NFL will be elite in a couple of years. If that is the criteria for determining who is and who isn't elite, then I'm going to have a field day in the Chad Pennington threads when folks comment that he's one of the best in the game, after all his passing attempts last year didn't even put him in the Top 10. Or maybe there is something more to evaluating players than just the number of opportunities that they get? :up:

Look at Matt Forte and Ryan Grant last year, both had over 300 carries, both ran for over 1,200 yards......but both had a 3.9 YPC average. Now are they elite or did their respective teams just run alot? One would think that with so many carries they would have been able to put up better numbers, no?

Or lets go back to 2006 when Ronnie rushed for over 1,000 yards and had a YPC average of 4.4 (241 carries). In the same year Edge James and Jamal Lewis both had over 300+ carries (337 and 314) and both ran for over 1,100 yards (1159 and 1132), but both of them had a YPC of less than 4.0 (3.4 and 3.6). Are those players worth elite money because they were the feature back for their respective teams? Were they elite? Were they more productive than Ronnie Brown? If you look at the numbers objectively, then the answer to all 3 questions is no. The same could be said about Portis, James, Jones and White in '07. Point being that the number of carries a player has doesn't necessarily translate into very good production, some teams just run the ball alot and don't have a better option than a guy like James who is on his last legs. Does anybody here want to try to make the case that James was more productive with his carries than Ronnie Brown in '06?

Obviously not, if it was, then you would be willing to admit that Ronnie produces when given the opportunity. You would look at his YPC and conclude that he gets the job done when the ball is in his hands instead of trying to write him off as nothing more than a "tandem back" that we can replace by "plugging a rookie in there for less". Your comments about "plugging in a rookie" make it sound as if you don't understand the importance of having a highly skilled RB like Ronnie in a 2 RB system and that you think using a 2 RB system is a reflection of the player's ability, or lack thereof. Players aren't interchangable, you can't expect the same production from a rookie that you get from Ronnie.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ashraf...do what your avatar says and soak up that knowledge above me.

Ronnie brown is a supremely talented football player {anyone who does'nt see that, i just would'nt ever trust their eye, and i know that you think he is ashraf}, whos now 100 percent, and about to be a major part of a new offensive system, The Regime agrees with me...you sign the player before the season starts, because the eye you have and the variables that now surround him, tell you you better, or else your gonna pay dearly if you dont... It was a no brainer the whole time.

like2god, mullingan and Fin D like this.
  18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Ronnie's run, while nothing to sneeze at, had the tackler coming in from the side and already leaving his feet.

On Earl's great runs, such as vs the Rams and Raiders, the tacklers were coming in face up and he hit them head on. Robertson and Tatum just bounced off him.

For about 3-4 yrs, Earl was the most devastating runner to ever play the game IMO.

mullingan, djphinfan and alen1 like this.
  19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the RB stable is proven & one of the best in the NFL
    if the Orca-5 live up to expectations, the running game will be outstanding
    which will open up the passing game, lighting up the offense
    allowing the defense to remain fresh & ready to impose their game

the key to the 2009 season will be the offensive line: as they play, so goes the season :yes:

let us hope that
    Long-Smiley-Grove-Thomas-Carey
    the Orca-5 will eat defense alive :up:

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sword....Rock....Kilt....Old english...Battle field...

Why do i keep getting this visuals 23rd..lol...

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    he surely was, would be scary in todays game.

22. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Earl is one of my favorites to watch, and I think he was one of the greatest to ever suit up.

I have to say though, that one would be hard pressed to say that what Ronnie did vs. that Chiefs safety AND vs. the Raiders Safety (which was straight up, mano-a-mano) was a whole lot different from what Earl did to those two. Now, obviously, Earl has a MUCH longer list of great plays to look at in comparison, not arguing that, but I am curious how Fin Fans , and fans in general, would compare Ronnie's best runs (the bone crusher, tackle breakers) vs. Earl's. Now that would be a good idea for a new thread. Again, not saying Ronnie is anywhere near Earl in terms of the body of work, but in terms being a tough, physical runner, a thread like that just might help some of the stat-lusters appreciate Ronnie at a new level.

Thoughts anyone?

23. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Just because we are discussing power, we have two backs that can pop defenders

I remember a few runs where Ricky straight armed defenders off their feet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DysNAn68Dqc"]YouTube - The Best Of Ricky Williams[/ame]

24. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    This may come across as a thread hijacker but Omar is wrong again.

The most pressing issue the Dolphins face post 2009 is the impending free agency of Chad Pennington and the coming first start of Chad Henne.

the 23rd likes this.
  25. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Zod:
    once again I find myself in agreement with you

26. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Ricky's was an elite back, to be sure. Check out the following link for some nice RB highlights. Pay special attention to:

- RB destroying Raiders Safety at 2:00 mark
    - RB thumping Chiefs Safety at 2:10 mark
    - RB trucking over Bills Safety at 3:50 mark
    - RB breaking 6 tackles vs. Browns at 4:15 mark

If these plays don't scream "unique abilities", then people just aren't listenin'

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQlPhDLNnYU&feature=related"]YouTube - The Best Of Ronnie Brown[/ame]

27. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    tandem

28. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    we need to throw the ball to that fella more often.. he's a BEAST.. who secretly wants to be the second running back given an unecessary roughness penalty on the tackler...

thanks St Louie!

djphinfan likes this.
  29. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I wasn't implying that Ronnie wasn't of that caliber, just tossing out there that Ricky is no slouch either since we were talking about good hard hitting running backs.

djphinfan likes this.
  30. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    That year he could bounce any run outside. He was so fast. That was one hell of a year.

Crappy Tipper likes this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Thats one bad *** mot#$# fu##$ng MVP candidate right there....Respect it, cause he aint goin nowhere.

Cant believe some of us have been defending this player {to hopefully a small minority}...please. the man is as gifted as they come..spare me the rebuttle.

Fin D and Crappy Tipper like this.
  32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    you know Tip, i hope he finds that edge he had back in the day when i used to feel sorry for chumps tryin to tackle him in the 4th quarter.

cnc66 and Crappy Tipper like this.
  33. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I do too.

There wasn't much finer than watching Ricky at this best.

If Ricky & Ronnie can get into rare form this season behind what I hope to be a great offensive line we can make some serious noise this season.

I just want to see DB's crap themselves when those two are in the backfield together hoping to God someone from the front seven gets them before they have to square up against either one of them.

cnc66 likes this.
  34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol.. hell yeah brother, i really believe that the rest of the NFL has no idea whats about to go down.

I mean look at what they accomplished with a half *** oline, a qb that came in late, and ronnie on one leg. All three elements have upgraded, Ronnie on two legs, definite upgrades on 3/5ths of our oline, and a qb that has worked on execution and timing for a whole offseason.

Fin D and Crappy Tipper like this.
  35. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I never said I do not want to sign Ronnie Brown. I said if he demands a contract that he does not deserve, then I do not want to sign him.

It is true that the NFL is turning into a tandem league. So why sign Ronnie Brown to a contract of elite status if he is going to be a tandem back?

I obviously stated it is important to have a good YPC while having 300+
    carries.

Again, I said Ronnie Brown is a good running back, not elite. I am not writing him off. The whole argument was if he is elite ad if he deserves a contract extension RIGHT NOW. He will most likely demand a huge pay raise, and he is not deserving of that If he is a tandem back.

My comments about replacing him with a rookie running back and getting the same production was based off the fact that our O-line should be an elite unit next year. An offensive line makes a runningback, just ask the Denver Broncos. With an elite unit, you can plug any runningback behind your line and expect good results.

36. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Lol, Don Shula is my avatar. But I know what you mean.
    I am not denying that Ronnie Brown is a talented football player. What I am saying is, If we resign him now to a contract extension worh elite money, it is a mistake. But, if they can get him for a good price, do it ASAP.

37. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Meh, that Ronnie Brown, always runnin' around being so average.

The nerve of that guy.

Fin D, Stringer Bell and cnc66 like this.
  38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    you think hes good....i think hes great.. you dont think he deserves a contact right now...i do... he deserves it, because that what his talent will demand...This fundamental disagreement of his talent will always lead us back to the same place...I said before the regime made the gesture, he needs to be signed before the season starts...why?, because of how his talent projects in this offense with proper running back variables....get it done now, or pay dearly later.

you do understand by the regime making this gesture to ronnie, your not only disagreeing with me, your debating them on whether or not they should sign the player.

His value to this team moving forward is what its all about, his great talent will get him top 5 money at his position, regardless of his past stats.

39. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Again, for the millionth time, I never said I do not want the FO to sign Ronnie Brown. I said if it is for a good price, do it ASAP.
    And if he is asking for top 5 money, he is not going to be resigned soon.

40. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008

This is where you're going wrong. Our OL may be improved, and it may even turn into an elite unit, but only with alot of luck. OLs take time to become "elite". It doesn't happen just like that, and their are WAY too many question marks surrounding our OL right now for anyone to introduce the idea of their being "elite" as a possible factor in whether or not to sign a premium running back, which Ronnie is IMO, or just plug in whoever falls to you in the 3rd round of the draft. That's foolish, and I'm quite certain this FO would not engage in that line of reasoning.

I believe, Ashraf, that one fundamental difference between yourself and many others here is age. Not becuase of judgement or wisdom, but becuase you aren't old enough to have suffered through the two decade long drought of the Miami Dolphins not having a stud running back. For those of us who suffered through the many, many years of mediocrity at the tailback position, we developed an appreciation for the importance in a having a running back that can do something special. For years we'd have a guy that had good vision but no speed, or good speed but no vision, or good power but no speed. In order to truely appreciate what the term "average running back" means, you need to have suffered as a fan because of one. Sure, we had guys who topped the 1,000 yard mark, but we all knew it was only because he got the ball a million times and when push came to shove, he couldn't take over a game because he had no special talent, only average talent that had a spotlight on it because we were hoping that he was special. But it never came to pass.

Until Ronnie that is.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.