Ronnie Brown an Average Back

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Crappy Tipper, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Whatever we pay him now would pale in comparison to what it would take at the end of this season if he has a monster year and free agency is looming with a lot of teams that would snatch him in a heartbeat willing to pay big money.

djphinfan likes this.
  2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    What makes you think Ronnie will take less now than what he feels he could get after the season?

3. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    The bold makes my point, you don't see Ronnie's value to the team, you see him as a tandem RB and don't think he's worth the money that he'll be seeking. And you once again repeat the line about plugging any RB (rookie or wandering vet, I assume) it's not as easy as you make it sound. First of all, there is nothing about our OL that says "elite", right now we have 3 interior lineman who are struggling to stay healthy and all of them have missed significant time over the past 2 years. That isn't elite, yet we paid them large contracts because they filled a need for this team. Personally I think we overpaid for Grove, especially seeing what the premier FA C in this years FA pool received.

Second, even if they were elite, why downgrade our RB spot when we could have a much better and more experienced player that fits this team like a glove? If we use your example and say that you can plug any Joe Schmoe into the lineup and get good results, why not keep Ronnie and get great results? Why not keep the guy who spent the first couple years of his career dodging defenders and breaking tackles in the backfield and still putting up very good numbers behind pourous OL's? Why not give that player a chance to excell behind an "elite" OL and make our ground game that much better?

And lastly, opposing teams don't view Ronnie as a tandem RB, they view him as one of the few players (and in most cases, the main player) to focus on stopping. You may not want to pay Ronnie the contract that he deserves because he isn't getting 300+ as a feature back, but there are alot of teams out there that would love to get a shot at a player like Ronnie and would be more than happy to pay him. Teams spend countless draft picks and gobs of cash hoping that they can find a player with his abilities and some folks around here want to just let him walk away.

As someone else pointed out, you don't know what you've got until it's gone. When Shula left we struggled to find a quality HC, Jimmy was okay but not what you would call a great coach. I have more memories of him talking about sailing than I do of him winning anything of importance. When Marino left we struggled to find a quality replacement, we had players who showed small glimpses of talent, but none of them could hold Danny's jock and we wasted several high draft picks to find the next flop. Now we have Ronnie, do you really want to spend the next half decade or so looking for his replacement and then have aging talent around that new player, talent that will most likely have to be replaced in order to make a true shot at the SB? Because, keep in mind, we'll have to spend draft picks on player after player until we find a suitable replacement RB, that means other areas of our team are going to be neglected and the players that we have will be another year older.

A player earns a contract based on his ability and worth to the team, I don't see how anyone could argue that Ronnie isn't worthy a large contract extension. Again, there are no indications that he's looking to break the bank and become the highest player at his position, so where's the issue?

4. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    What makes you think we would have any leverage at all by waiting? At least now we don't get a chance for him to field any interest from other teams.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The word to describe Ronnie Brown at this point in time is underachieving.

He'll show flashes of greatness, and last season when we were closing out games RB was the guy with the rock, now he needs to do the same thing this season only better.

I do somewhat dispute the notion that RB should not be signed to a long term deal, if T Jones can rush for 1,300 yds up in NJ at 31, Ronnie can do the same, it's not impossible.

The one thing I'd like to see out of Ronnie is better blocking on blitz pickups, sometimes he makes the totally wrong read and got Penny hit several times last season.

6. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't necessarily. But you believe he is going to have a big year...

7. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    How is he underachieving when he hasn't had a decent OL infront of him? When a player is routinely dodging defenders in the backfield and breaking tackles to pick up extra yards, it's going to be very hard for anyone to make the case that he is an underachiever. If you made the argument that he hasn't lived up to the expectations that people had for him after being selected #2, then we can talk about the why and the conversation would once again go back to the OL.

8. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    That I do. I think the pieces in place give us the potential that Brown will have the best year of his career.

Sure it could go the other way, but that's not how I would bet.

djphinfan likes this.
  9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would choose two different words, unlucky and underutilized.

10. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    And I'm sure Brown and his agent think the same, which is why they won't settle for less than what they want before the season.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Please, did Sanders or even Ricky Williams ever have even average offensive lines in front of them?

Walter Payton?

A great back makes plays out of nothing L2G, Ronnie hasn't.

That is not to say that I dislike Ronnie Brown, far from it, IMHO this will be a breakout year for him, but he has underachieved so far, last season was the first time he showed some things for a whole season, he needs to work on his blocking and interior running skills as right now he is too easy to force to the sidelines.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    he has been in Miami for 4 season now Dupree, that is a ton of unluckiness and underutilization.

To me, Cam Cameron knew how to use Ronnie B, that was one of the few things he got right.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It is tons of underutilization. It has been frustrating to watch in the last 4 years.

Last two years were the best though. Cam figured it out, unfortunately he got hurt. Then last year he had an amazing year. He had an injury that generally leaves the runningback ineffective the next year. He was still able to get over 4 yards per carry, 10 touchdowns and make the probowl.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    no, you just want one of two things, either wait until he produces to give him one, or pay him some cheap contract now because you feel he should be paid relative his past stats..

wrong on both counts imo......at some point you have to project the players talent and worth..thats part of this business which you dont seem to get.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Iam afraid some do not understand this simple concept. either that or they really dont see the talent the man has..cause if they really believed that the player was super talented there would be more of a sense of urgency like some of us have.

I really think were debating some that dont believe in his talent.

Tone_E, Fin D, resnor and 1 other person like this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    hopefully he understands the injury history angle that a front office has to use as leverage.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Part of my arguement here Padre, is that, the offense fits the player.

Ricky had a good offensiveline in his great year here..ronnie has never had even close to that..our center and interior line play has been some of the worst in the league since hes been here..

Getting back to how the offense fits the player....Iam taking into accout the dynamics and evolution of the hybrid when speaking about how important it is to sign ronnie brown, not sure if your quantifying that enough, or how beautifully his sills compliment this offense. The wildcat affects the proset and vise versa.

The raven game is a perfect example of why ronnies interior line running may be in question, that said line had a little affect on our qb as well.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and you know what happened when the putz figured it out.....i believe it was 4 strait games with 200 total yards plus..over a thousand in 7 and a half games. but you already know that..

What iam starting to figure out here is the lack of belief in the players talent, sounds to me your not sold on the player and it has nothing to do with injury history or past stats.

Excuse me if iam wrong.

Fin D likes this.
  19. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I can't speak for everyone, but I think Ronnie is very talented. Among the top ten most talented RBs in the league. But it all comes down to cost/benefit. If Ronnie asks for $30M guaranteed, I don't think hes worth that. If he asks for $10-$15M I think he is worth it.

Anonymous likes this.
  20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i appreciate what the guy did last year tremendously, his performance, his ability to come back from injury so soon, for his 10 touchdowns, his 4.4 average, for his skills to handle the wildcat without mistake,and his probowl selection by his peers.

Just throw out last year dupree ya know, he didnt have 400 carries..he just freakin led us to a historic turnaround and a division championship because of how lethal his diverse ability presents to a defense from a matchup standpoint...

Fin D likes this.
  21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    so your thinking 4 years at 3 million a year? sorry stringer, but thats not only way off what his projected market value is, its downright insulting. come on man, your not serious? this is a futile debate if you are.

resnor likes this.
  22. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I was referring to guaranteed money. $10-15M guaranteed.

djphinfan likes this.
  23. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeremiah Bell got 4 years $20M, with $10M guaranteed. I would say that Ronnie shouldn't get more than 10% above that...

24. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    You're crazy if you think that Ronnie isn't worth more to this team, much more, than Yeremiah Bell. Yeremiah Bell isn't top 10 at his position in the NFL, Ronnie Brown is. Heck, Ronnie could be argued to be top 5...Bell couldn't be.

25. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeremiah Bell is most certainly a top-5 strong safety in this league. You could even make the argument he is a top-10 overall safety in this league. Especially considering the importance of safeties in the quarters scheme, Yeremiah probably is the most valuable player on defense.

Anonymous likes this.
  26. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Wow guys what a debate!! I think Ronnie Brown is worth the money and I think he should be one the top backs in the league. He is very talented and he will show it this year. Just watch!!

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, you are partially wrong Dj, to me Ronnie is like a sports car that rarely has the gas pedal pressed to the floor out on the open highway,

And his blocking really troubles me, as in I thought he was better then he is, I rewatched all of last season's games that Crunch found, and RB whiffed on blocks a terrible amount.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I watched the KC game and the Jet game he did good in both of those. I also watched an earlier game, I cannot remember which one, however he didn't do that good in that game.

I still think he is one of the best in the league at that.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I used to think that as well D-Dupree, but after rewatching 6 games or so, 12 halves, he really is not a very good blocker.

Against the Jets for example, Penny's fumble happened because RB missed his block, Alonzo Highsmith he ain't.

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    i rewatched four and 3 of them he did really well.

Well picking out one play doesn't mean much. Hell picking out one game doesn't mean much. I like bringing up a game where Walter Jones gave up 3 sacks against Bernard Berry. Even with that bad game he is still one of the best Left Tackles of all time.

31. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    O RLY?

Bob Sanders

Ed Reed

Troy Polamalu

Ken Hamlin

Roy Williams

Brian Dawkins

LaRon Landry

Donte Whitner

Michael Huff

Kerry Rhodes

Adrian Wilson

There's 11 safeties, not listed in any particular order. I wouldn't put Bell ahead of any of them.

32. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Roy Williams? Brian Dawkins?

I think you just made my case for me...

33. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Take out Williams and Dawkins and put in Otagwe and Griffin.

Bell doesn't crack the top 10 safeties in the league. Bell had alot of tackels, but no picks. He did all his work in run defense. There's a reason why teams were able to destroy us through the air.

34. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Even not being top 10 (which is debatable) even top 15 is great when you consider every team has 2 starting safeties. That means he's well above average

35. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Sure, he could be top 15. Maybe. I was just disputing with using Bell as the barometer for what sort of paycheck Ronnie should get. Ronnie is top 10 in the league. Bell is not.

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That doesn't mean he was bad at pass defense.

37. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't recall Bell getting beat in coverage that often. Not to mention Bell had twice as many passes defended as Atogwe.

Griffin and Atogwe don't even come close to Bell in run support. Bell has versatility that is rare. You are reaching man.

38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Atogwe gambles. A lot. Its why he has created so many turnovers, yet he gets beaten often. Kind of reminds me of Atari Bigby a couple years ago.

39. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    So Atogwe had 5 passes defended last year? I imagine that had more to do with Atogwe being more of a threat to pick it if he was thrown at than Bell did. I'm not reaching here. I wasn't the one who used Bell as the criteria for determining what Ronnie should get paid. You want to talk about versatility as a criteria for determining how good one is? Ronnie is FULL of versatility. He can run with power and speed, catch the ball, run the Wildcat, and he can block.

Bell's biggest strenght is his run support. We got Wilson who is great at run support. If Bell is the deep guy, how do you explain the Cardinals destroying us through the air? Or the other teams who destroyed us through the air? I'm not saying that Bell is terrible, or not worth what he got. I'm merely disputing using him as the guide to determine what Ronnie is worth.

40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Chris Crocker

Stringer Bell likes this.