1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ronnie Brown and Week 3s - Coincidence or Trend?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finrunner, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Whatever it is with Ronnie since his career started, Week 3 has been the watershed week for him "getting into the season." Here are the four Week 3s of his career:

2005 vs. Carolina
    Rushing:
    23 carries, 132 yards, 5.7 ypc, 1 TD, 52 long
    Receiving:
    3 receptions, 15 yards

Dolphins 27, Carolina 24

If you remember, Ronnie's first two games after holding out most of the preseason were not good, and the "bust" word was already slipping through the lips of some fans. Saban told Ronnie before the game that they were gonna be leaning on him, and he produced.

2006 vs. Tennessee
    Rushing:
    26 carries, 90 yards, 3.5 ypc, 27 long
    Receiving:
    6 receptions, 52 yards

Dolphins 13, Tennessee 10

By far the weakest of his Week 3 games, Ronnie was basically the Dolphins offense that started on a day when Daunte Culpepper fumbled his first snap, through an INT going into the Titan red zone before half, and took about five or six sacks. So while the 3.5 ypc looks pedestrian, other factors attributed to that. However, adding 52 yards in receptions makes the day a better one as he out-totaled his 2008 game in yards from scrimmage. Plus, the Dolphins got their first win of the Culpepper era. There weren't many.

2007 vs. NY Jets
    Rushing:
    23 carries, 112 yards, 4.9 ypc, 2 TDs, 13 long
    Receiving:
    6 receptions, 99 yards, 16.5 ypr, 1 TD, 43 long

NY Jets 31, Dolphins 28

Week 3 of the Cam Cameron era saw the coach unleash Ronnie for the first time, and the results paid off for the Dolphins as far as offensive production. Sadly, the Dolphins lost the game, but Ronnie's heroics in this game jump-started a series of five games to which most NFL backs will never live up. The amazing stats here, imo, are the long carry of 13 yards combined with the 4.9 ypc. That's a lot of pounding on the Jet defense. This was the game, because of his combined yards from scrimmage of 200+, that we all saw what Ronnie was truly capable of.

2008 vs. New England
    Rushing:
    17 carries, 113 yards, 6.6 ypc, 4 TDs, 62 long
    Receiving:
    1 reception, 9 yards
    Passing:
    1 completion, 1 attempt, 19 yards, 1 TD

Miami 38, New England 13

Whether his production will be attributed to a gimmick offense or not, again Ronnie breaks out in spectacular fashion with a 5 TD game and some serious yards, play-making, and national media kudos to go along with it. He showed versatility, toughness, and ingenuity in running and quarterbacking in a day the Dolphins upended one of their main nemeses, and he made the nation take notice of what a special player he can be (and is).

All that said, what is it with Week 3? Why is it that Ronnie hasn't had one of these games in Weeks 1 or Weeks 2 of each of the seasons to this point? Some of it can be attributed to new coaching, I suppose, but is there more to it than that? Why can't every week be Week 3 for Ronnie? (That's hyperbole - I understand why some weeks are different.) Is it just coincidence, or is there a slow-starter or some other at work trend here?

Thoughts?

HULKFish, CrunchTime, DaFish and 5 others like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

There are no coincidences.

Finrunner likes this.
  3. GoPhins!

GoPhins! Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 29, 2007
    Winter Garden, FL
    There does seem to be a trend. But, I think that they were just taking it slow with Brown this year because he was coming off of an injury. And perhaps he need a little motivation?

Finrunner likes this.
  4. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i think the biggest part of the trend has to do with the offensive line starting to gel... considering they tear it down and rebuild it every year, it seems by week 3 each year they start to get some sort of chemistry going.

in this year's case it has to do with that, a stout defense, AND the play-calling finally opening up. we didn't have a huge deficit to try and chase-down, so we didn't have to abandon the run.... we also had the benefit of amazing play-calling, to take advantage of Ronnie's talents.

Finrunner and mullingan like this.
  5. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I think it is a trend. The coaching changes and constant offensive line changes could be a likely reason why it takes a couple weeks for him to get going.

Finrunner likes this.
  6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Well, the last two years he's been sharing the ball to begin the season. I mean, last year, Chatman had more carries through the first two games than Ronnie. Didn't Chatman have more in one game than Ronnie had in two? I forget...

But, yeah, I think that's part of it. Granted, he was coming off the ACL this season, but, he hasn't had a chance to get a bunch of carries right off the bat, so, it takes him a couple weeks.

Finrunner likes this.
  7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    It seems that easy going Ronnie doesnt impress his incoming coaches very much initially .Perhaps he looks average in practices .I dont know .

But just as cream rises to the top ,the coaches soon learn that he is the best athlete on the offense .Its smart to get him as many snaps as possible and if that means putting him behind center so be it

Finrunner likes this.