Ronnie Brown Is NOT Durable
54 replies
one thing i will say is he gets blasted alot as soon as he is handed the balland alway has to fight off defenders.
I agree that Ronnie Brown isn't durable, but it doesn't mean we should dump him, draft D-Mac or just quit on him. Earlier this year he was getting 30-35 touches per game. That is a lot! I think with the emergence of Lo-Book and Jesse Chatman, we can limit his carries next year and still be in great shape.
ricky can handle that
The idea of drafting McFadden became null in void the minute we hired Parcells since he doesn't draft any specialty players in the first round, sometimes the second. It has been proven time and again that you can find quality RBs outside of the first round. Workhorse backs are quickly becomming a thing of the past, anyway, and while the idea of McFadden turning into an Adrian Peterson type playmaker in Miami's backfield would be a welcome sight, with the Tuna running the draft for at least the next 4 years, you can guarantee we will not be taking any WRs or RBs in the first.
It took a lot of convincing by Ireland and an eventual over-ruling by Jerry Jones for the Cowboys to take Terrence Newman over Kevin Williams. Peronally, I think it's harder to find a shut down CB than it is to find an impact DT, which Williams ended up becomming, but Parcells took this job because he knows Wayne will let him do whatever he wants personnel wise, and considering Ireland and anyone else down the totem pole will be puppets of Parcells, there is no way in hell Parcells will draft a RB in the first round, let alone #1 overall.
Ronnie hasn't lasted a full season since he's been in the league, and while he has more talent than probably any back in the league sans LT, the latest injry is very concerning, expecially for a back. In a perfect world we trade Ronnie for additional picks, convince another team we fully intend to draft D-mac, and then trade out of that #1 slot for even more picks.
"rogergould1313 wrote:
ricky can handle that
yeah, he showed that with his 2 years out of the NFL and his 6 carries and his injury riddled year in the CFL.
You cannot count on Ricky lasting, if you do you will get burnt (No pun intended)


If they pick anyone for the backfield this year @ #1 It WILL be a QB. Parcells has already mentioned, that is the MOST important position on the team. It's still unlikely that they will even do that, so might just as well quit talking about it. This team needs linemen. The real debate is OL vs DL ? All this McFaddin talk is for trade partners only.
I think Ronnie is great, but I am honestly a little tired of sticking up for him on this, and the previous board. I have come to the conclusion, that it really doesn't matter what he does, even if he comes back 100% next year (which he won't, takes two years to be 100% from that injury) and runs for 1600 yds and 14 tds their will still be people here on his own board that do not like him.
I remember reading such well thought out posts like Ronnie is nothing more than a backup, and will not be in the league in three years, and he will never be as good as Reggie Bush (hahahahaha that one still kills me) etc, etc etc. Anyway I backed him then, and I will back him one more time.
The new arguement is although his naysayers seem to admit he is good now, most won't admit they were wrong about him, they insist they always knew he was good, and those hundreds, and I mean hundreds of people that bashed him are no longer here and there is a new movement that are concerned with his durability.
You really can't predict injuries, there are literally tons of examples I can give you of injuries coming in bunches, and then not being a factor. Dan Marino never missed a game when he was younger, but after the achilles he had trouble staying healthy. A better example would be Fred Taylor, he missed tons of games early in his career, and was tabbed as "injury prone". Well, all you have to do is look at his career stats and see that he is usually healthy now and is contributing big time to a good team in the playoffs at age 31!!!
In closing you will think what you want to think, it is a free world, but I really don't think it is necessary to thank a poster for a post that is questioning Ronnie Brown, like "wow somebody finally said it!!". This board is filled with Ronnie Brown dislikers, and I would bet that there will be at least 3451 posts similiar to it between now, and next season.
"Dmarino110 wrote:
And what about the 2 seasons before that? and why wasnt he the starter at arburn?
There wasn't a starter at Auburn. There were two good RB's that split carries.
BTW, the guy he split carries with has played in 32 NFL games. Ronnie has played in 33.
I for one am firmly in Ronnie's court. It took big cjones to do what he did this year, namely becoming the Fin O. He alone made the OL look average to good, and when he went down, due to someone else's incompetence, so did the line. Period. All the people who want to knock his durability can do so but in the NFL your fortune can change on any one play. Just ask Terry Kirby. He looked great until his leg was basically torn off on a goal line run, one of the most gruesome things I ever saw live, and he was never the same. RB injuries have been relatively minor and he may still become a GREAT back.
"Count Stackula wrote:
Ok so I keep reading on here how we shouldn't even consider McFadden and how we have a "Pro Bowl" back and how "when Ronnie comes back at 100%".....listen I love Ronnie but this guy can't stay healthy!!
I read somewhere that he hasn't played an injury free season of footbal in 7 years and now he is coming off an ACL?? I think we seriously need to consider drafting a back. If not at #1, then in the second round.
Thoughts?
I think we very well may take a back on the first day this season. Ronnie Brown is starting to prove that he is a special back, and it killed me this year when he got hurt. He was having a great season. If we didn't have so many other glaring holes and weaknesses, McFadden would be very tempting at #1. I just can't see us taking him with all the other problems we have right now.

GO PHINS!!!
"byroan wrote:
There wasn't a starter at Auburn. There were two good RB's that split carries.
BTW, the guy he split carries with has played in 32 NFL games. Ronnie has played in 33.
Plus, before he transfered, Brandon Jacobs was in the backfield with them.


"Mari0k wrote:
No?
Chattman is solid.
Ricky..well.
Ricky.
He wont be 100% next year.
will be 100% year after.
Tell me he WASNT going to pro bowl this seaon?
Yoou crazy.
Last year he got hurt cuz Lions linebakcers are cheap, adn smahsed his hands in the pile "accidently" with his facemask. Freak of a injury.
And this year he was making a tackle.
Maybe we should blame Lemon for the injury?
He never said Ronnie doesn't play well......he only said that he is injury prone. The sad turth is, he has been injury prone. He has yet to play a full season. Really doesn't matter WHY he got injured each time.....only that he DID (and DOES) get injured.
i love Ronnie Brown. IMO hes our best player on the squad but until he has an injury free season there will always be fans who rightly so have an opinion about his durabilty. If there was one player on the team right now i would wish was 100% healthy and we needed the most it would be Brown. He needs to prove the doubters wrong regarding his durability. Lets just hope whoever is our QB next season doesnt have to rely on Ronnie to make tackles that were caused by errant passes. (Lemon pls take note)

"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:
Plus, before he transfered, Brandon Jacobs was in the backfield with them.
3 very good RB's all at the same time. I still know who i would have out of Caddy, Jacobs and Ronnie. :thumbup: No23 for me every time.

I think some of you guys took my post as saying "Ronnie sucks" or "we shoud draft McFadden". It wasn't. I was just saying HB is something we should address because Ronnie Brown, as good as he is, can't seem to stay healthy and that some of you just take for granted that Ronnie is our starting HB for the next five years or something.
we need another back
"I want to buy the groceries" Bill Parcells
"Bonedoc7777 wrote:
we need another back
Disagree.
Even if Ronnie isn't ready to go, Chatman is a servicable power back, LoBook can be a huge threat receiving out of the backfield, and Ricky (if he stays) has the talent to do both at a very reasonable fee...
Any of those three aren't here next year, and I will agree, but right now, I think we're okay...:ffic:
Get dirty, get bloody, get sweaty...
...get happy.
-Cam Wake
Honestly if we stay in the 1st slot I say pick the best player and if Mcfadden is it then pick him up and trade Ronnie if we can for a later 1st rounder or play both backs. Ronnie cannot stay healthy in a single back set and if we go back a few years we were as RB hungry as we are QB hungry now. Everyone used to complain how bad our defense was and our running was non exsistent. Then Jimmy came along got the running game going and the defense improved because it was rested. I say draft Mcfadden if we have to and with him and Ronnie we have an instant offense regardless of the QB. Then draft all defense starting with a shut down CB and the best DT we can find in round 2. Come back with a big TE in round 3 to help block and pick up the best OT and we can find in FA. A guard in the top of round 4 and we will be a pretty good team next year regardless if Green, Lemon or Beck is the QB. PS I would spend our 6th on a kicker to get the ball in the end zones to help special team. I really beleive that Feely hurt us big time this year and thats where we really missed Mare.
"Colorado Dolfan wrote:
Disagree.
Even if Ronnie isn't ready to go, Chatman is a servicable power back, LoBook can be a huge threat receiving out of the backfield, and Ricky (if he stays) has the talent to do both at a very reasonable fee...
Any of those three aren't here next year, and I will agree, but right now, I think we're okay...:ffic:
After Ronnie, we have too many "?" marks, "if" Ricky cna stay healthy, LBook is not a every down back which leaves us with Chatman...would you risk out entire season on the bakc of Chatman?
If Ronnie goes down, we will have Ricky and Jesse...and a whole lotta hope...
Ricky is proving to be less durable then Ronnie is, now all we need is a Mike and a Bobby and we will have New Edition in Miami.....
"padre31 wrote:
After Ronnie, we have too many "?" marks, "if" Ricky cna stay healthy, LBook is not a every down back which leaves us with Chatman...would you risk out entire season on the bakc of Chatman?
If Ronnie goes down, we will have Ricky and Jesse...and a whole lotta hope...
Ricky is proving to be less durable then Ronnie is, now all we need is a Mike and a Bobby and we will have New Edition in Miami.....
You forgot Ralph.....Johnny too
If Jacob Hester fell to the 6th round i'd take him but he will go before that. Not as a fullback but as a power back, I can see him playing for someone like the Steelers or the Patriots. To give you a idea, two fullbacks on the Patriots (both of them ex players of ours) ran well and scored TD's on short yardage near the endzone early this year.
They would use Kyle Eckel running behind Heath Evans. One reason they could do this is that these are two solid, big hard running backs. But the main reason is that the Patriots have 3 All Pros on their OL. if you want to help our running game, then draft jake long, not D McFadden (btw, i also like K Smith, I've send him play several times and he is another Emmit Smith who i also watched play here in Gainesville. And I've seen Mcfadden and Felix Jones play a number of times.
The NFL Channel and ESPN are replaying something like 200 games they did during the year (also ABC games) that have players that will be drafted in them. I have on tape the Ark vs OSC gaame were McFadden really became famous for running for 300 yards. but i also say Felix Jones run for 190 yards.
I wonder if McFadden could of done what K Smtith did with his team?
I like power backs myself, like the ones Parcells likes. You will not see us draft a running back under 220-230 pounds.
I few years ago when we drafted Ronnie we saw the beginning of one of the best RB combo's in the NFL, Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown. Then things got weird.

IMO the running back position we knew from years ago has evolved. At least how they are used is. I see more teams going to 2 main running backs now. i.e Dallas, N.E., Jacksonville, ect... If we did the same thing, maybe Ronnie would not be as injury prone. We could rest our best offensive player during the game and all our backs would always have fresh legs.
Like LUG said...let's beef up the O line and you'll really see an explosion in our backfield. Look at all the time Brady had to pick apart the JVille D last night.
Everything starts in the trenches.
Ronnie Brown will be just fine. See when runners have ACL injuries like he did they are scared to run hard and do the same move they tore their knee on. Whether it would be a hard cut, juke, spin move or whatever. Ronnie did it because he was trying to make a tackle because Cleo Lemon is awful. If only he would have never have thrown that ball, we would not be having this discussion. We dont need McFadden because we have Chatmann, Ricky, and the big suprise Lobook. No drafting a back.
We don't have Chatman, at the moment he is a FA. We would have to re-sign him, and I bet he'll want a lot more than he was paid last year! I would almost bet he'll sign with whoever Cam signs with, since Cam showed that he believed in him.
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
- P.J. O'Rourke