1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rookie QBs and supporting casts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DePhinistr8, Nov 16, 2012.

1. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I don't start many threads, but I just thought it would be interesting to look at the last 2 years worth of rookie (well, 1st round..and 1 2nd) QBs and the supporting casts they were given when they came into the league. I think the team around the rookie QBs can't be overstated enough. I'm only going back to last year, and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone because I'm lazy. Feel free to chime in.

Cam Newton - had D'Angelo Williams, Johnathan Stewart, and Steve Smith. Not a bad trio of playmakers to surround the first year pro.

Jake Locker - Chris Johnson and Kenny Britt. Ok stuff to work with there, plus he sat for a while.

Blaine Gabbert - MJD. Ok Gabbert blows

Christian Ponder - Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin. There's some explosive players

Andrew Luck - Reggie Wayne, consistent reliable veteran. Also drafted Allen and Fleener. Probably not the best supporting cast, but Luck is just on another level

RG3 - hmmm...well they signed Garcon, but he's been out. Moss has a knack for a big play now and again. Fred Davis? Meh. Nice rookie RB surprise though.

Tannehill - Bush? meh I think guys like Bess, Hartline and Fasano are way too overvalued by the fanbase in general.

Weeden - Richardson...and that's about it, and he's a rook as well.

Wilson (2nd round) - BeastMode, Sidney Rice (not done much since he left Minny), Tate? (another meh). But a sick, sick defense

I guess the point I'm trying to make (in a very weak way) is that several of these guys have played well due to the talent around them helping along the way. I feel like we just don't have enough talent overall to support Tanny, yet. I'm not sure how you can't fault the GM when your roster lacks talent..but...there it is...

2. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    When the GM has been on the job for 5 years hasn't his main job responsibility been to get talent on the roster?

3. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    I would think so. I'm not trying to turn this into an Anti-Ireland thing as I usually try to stay out of it..but when the talent on the roster is this bad you have to point the finger at him.

4. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I'll take Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, and Dwayne Allen over this crop anyday.

5. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    Same here

6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It was painfully apparent last night that our WRs couldn't get any advantages over the coverage like real #1 WRs. not sure why they can't do it now when they were much more open earlier in the season - maybe the defenses have figured out how to play our WRs and our coaches haven't compensated for it. but right now Tannehill looks like he has to throw a perfect pass everytime to get the WRs to catch it.

7. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    :lol: I just reread your sentence and realized you put "can't" and not "can." I wasn't trying to turn this into a bash Ireland thread either. I was surprised by a statement that I misread...my bad.

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  8. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    No worries. My eyes are blurry from staying up to watch the game so I've had to re-read several posts today as well :)

9. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    With the lack of talent surrounding Tannehill, he was doomed to failure. I have tried to stay out of the Brandon Marshall debate, whether we should have traded him or kept him. But I can't help but think Tannehill might have fared better with Marshall than he has without him, maybe we should have held on to Vernon Carey too. Oh well I guess we can start speculating about the next draft anytime now.

10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    When you can unload a guy like Brandon Marshall, you do it. When you think of unloading a player like Brandon Marshall, you shouldn't do it, unless you have a plan to replace him, and yes, there is a difference.

Vernon Carey?? Seriously? I don't even think he's in the league right now is he? Carey was done, and never going to fit this OL's style of play, too out of shape.

11. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I think what he's trying to say is "look at other QB's and their supporting cast". Let take circumstances into consideration before throwing in the towel on Ryan Tannehill right?

It's a good point in my opinion and Tannehill really has the least to work with out the listed names.

Peyton Manning who is/was totally on another different level had Marshall Faulk (hof running back), Marvin Harrison (hof WR), Marcus Pollard, and Ken Dilger as his tight ends....He still threw 28 picks.

Daunte Cullpepper (R.I.P) sat for a year before inheriting Randy Moss, and Cris Carter

Andy Dalton has AJ Green

Really hope we get him someone to throw to in the draft. In fact the first two rounds need to be offensive picks. I'm hoping for Justin Hunter the UT receiver, and Tyler Eifert from ND.

Stafford who sucked up until last year has Calvin Johnson.