1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ross Trying to do it the Right Way -- Article

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PhinFan1968, Sep 6, 2014.

1. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news..._pbpstubtomypbp_launch#54a8b93d.257708.735482

Bpk likes this.
  2. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

One thing I think we have is an Organization that is hungry from the top down. An owner who wants to win..wants to build a winning franchise. A GM who worked his way up the hard way...now finally getting his shot. A Heach Coach very respected in the league..but one the locals want replaced. A QB going into a season where it has to happen. An offensive line looking to banish the ghosts of 2013. A defense who wants to prove they are the best in the NFL...

A hungry team is a dangerous team..even the fans are starving...

mbsinmisc likes this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Am I the only one that read this almost entierely as a backhanded compliment from Tim Robbie?

Bpk likes this.
  4. PhinFan1968

Came across that way. Seems to me it kind of hinted around that Ross hasn't played ball with the other owners too.

5. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Well as long as he tries, failure is acceptable

6. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Same thing would apply to Huizenga, right?

7. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    IMHO, the bolded part says it all really.

Bpk likes this.
  8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I was at wit's end a year ago. It's all good now. This article is a day late, a dollar short.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He keeps his nose out of the football side, stays behind the scenes, he's willing to spend, and he put 400 mill of his own money to reconstruct a cancer of a football stadium, he doesn't do that, that stadium has no chance of getting renovating, and that right there is every reason to be happy he's the owner, what a frightening outlook without that generosity, seems to me like a lot more folks should be grateful for the guy..

10. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    For a positive article, Robbie basically called him a failure that the fans are fed up with. Just in a really nice way.

That's not true at all. In order to try at something, you have to educate yourself and have a (*^$ clue what the problems are. Ross has tried to be popular, but he hasn't tried too hard to win.

MikeHoncho and Bpk like this.
  11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

We agree on a lot of things, Deej. But we couldn't be farther apart on this one.

Doesn't mean there aren't positives about Ross as a person, and even as an owner, but they are far outweighed by the negatives imo.

12. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Please detail them.

djphinfan likes this.
  13. vt_dolfan

What negatives...really? I mean..what real negative has Ross done to the Phins?

djphinfan likes this.
  14. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I don't think he has an hour to kill.

Bpk likes this.
  15. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm sure you do.

16. vt_dolfan

Soo..he reaches to go get a coach like John Harbaugh..when Tony was here. Yeh..wasnt a smart move..but did anyone really want Tony Sparano as the HC? He waited one year to long to fire Jeff Ireland? How far did that really set us back? I think alot of the reasons people dont like Ross..when it comes down to it..are pretty superficial.

17. vt_dolfan

Ok..well..just run down a few.

18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

It's also a known fact that Kraft was directly mentored by the Mara family, to the point where the Maras sent Giant execs to Kraft and the Patriots to help teach them. So Kraft has now reportedly been actively mentored by at least two owners that we know of, maybe more. Is it a surprise his Patriots organization improved drastically?

I get the sense Ross hasn't had that mentoring. Either because he hasn't asked, or the way he asked didn't make anyone care to help him. This suspicion is strengthened by how Ross handled the whole Council of Elders thing, where Dungy, Marino, JT etc were summoned to be a committee Ross could meet with... and they've said none of them heard from Ross since. An empty PR gesture, and Ross never actually had them meet to get real guidance or advice.

The guy is like an uncle who's come back from Vietnam and is physically there in the room with you, but mentally "not all there". Like he just doesn't get it. Clued out or checked out.

Which is why the following is the worst Dolphins news I've head in 2014:
    If that's true, I doubt I'm watching Phins games by then. Hope to be wrong.

Itsdahumidity likes this.
  19. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah he hasn't tried to hard to win.. Except dump more money in to this franchise than Wayne ever did.. After he inherited a steaming pile of dogcrap that Parcell's and Huizenga organized as they headed for the exits after making sure they got paid.

Don't worry, several people have stated, very clearly that even if we won a Super Bowl they would cringe at the thought of him accepting the trophy. So based on that standard the hatred is irrational, spiteful and driven by other factors, especially considering the fact that this team hasn't won jack in 40 years. I'm sure these very same fans will appreciate the stadium upgrades, the Super Bowl coming back to Miami and what seems like a competitive team that has been assembled. But hey Ross has big ears and seems socially awkward so let's judge him on those merits.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He inherited a president that didn't have the best interests of the team at heart, a bad head coach, a bad GM, and a horrible stadium situation with a toxic culture..

I'm cuttin him some slack.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  21. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Ross's only negative was holding on to Ireland 2 years too long. That is in the past. It's time to stop clamoring.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    How can you be so mad at I'm and I'm not...he went after the right head coach lol..he was stuck with Parcells sparano and Ireland bro, you gotta understand that..

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I guess I like him mainly because I think funny face cares and wants to win, and when your willing to keep your pockets open, and rebuild the worst venue in the game, I'm all good..

Do you think another owner would have gone to unprecedented territory for this fanbase like he did?, with all the lack of support around this team?

I don't, so I'm grateful For funny face..tellin you right now those stadium upgrades is gonna change some things and that my friend is gonna make everything better.

24. vt_dolfan

When we stomp a mud puddle into Tom Bradys *** tomorrow..youll be one game closer to liking our owner.

Bpk likes this.
  25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Out of curiosity, how many owners have delivered a championship in their first 5 years?

26. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Peace out then. Go watch the Jets or Bills, their ownership is far superior.

27. vt_dolfan

I suppose Ross coulda started to look for moving the team when he didnt get public support for the Stadium.

28. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    DJ, I just don't get why fans should be happy that an owner is spending his own money to renovate what he owns. It isn't like he is spending this money on a stadium that someone else or the taxpayers of Miami-Dade own.

It is Ross who will benefit the most from these renovations, as he should, but I certainly don't think the fact that he is spending his own money to fix his own stadium is something that makes him a great NFL owner.

What makes a great NFL owner is hiring the best individuals to provide a winning product on the football field. Perhaps this year will be different, but Ross has been a terrible owner over his first five years is that respect.

I think every owner wants to win. Some are just better because they have the ability to hire the right people to turn a franchise into a winner. This is what the majority of the Dolphins fans want to see from Ross. I think most fans could care less about stadium renovations. They just want to see the Dolphins make the playoffs on a consistent basis and they will fill the stadium, whether the stadium is renovated or not.

29. vt_dolfan

Well if the best people are under contract..or not available..what then?

Oh.
    and the NFL cares about a renovated stadium. We need a renovated stadium to get back in the Super Bowl loop..as well as attract big events.

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    He really had no support, the fans and the county officials did not understand what he was tying to say in terms of the stadium and superbowls and world events..instead of really looking at the issues and the solutions that would of taken care of everything, they turned their backs on him and brought up the past..he kept fighting despite that discouraging fact, never said a bad word about the city or fanbase and got it done by himself..

Fu@$ yeah mr Ross..I gotcha back.

31. PhinFan1968

That time he was going after Harbaugh was a pretty friggin' big embarrassment...shameful. Stupid, ignorant move...and who the f*** was Ireland to go along with it? He DAMN sure should've known better, even if Ross didn't. He acted on some bad advice IMHO.

His comments about being disappointed this team hasn't produced winning seasons since he's owned them at least shows he's not satisfied...what he does about it remains to be seen, but he at least brought in a new GM (finally). This is such a potentially HUGE year for this team...

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    because I don't believe anyone has ever gone out of their way to do something likes he's doing, I agree that a great owner has to have a feel and the charisma to close deals with great football people, and maybe I'm overlooking a couple things in that dept, idk, he inherited the three stooges.

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i don't know why I forgive him for that, probably because I was livid about Parcells at that point, and thought Harbaugh was great.

34. vt_dolfan

Ross has acknowledged hes made mistakes. Its not like he has his head in the sand.

Bpk likes this.
  35. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I really don't think the problem with Ross is that he hasn't put a championship team on the field in his five years as the owner of the Dolphins. It is that he took over ownership of a team which went 11-5 the year before he became majority owner and the team has not had a single winning season since.

This game isn't about wanting your team to be mediocre, year after year. If that were the goal, Ross would certainly have to be considered a great owner. Unfortunately for him, it is about winning and under his ownership the team has not been very successful in that area.

Hopefully starting this season, the Dolphins can finally get back to the playoffs and Ross would deserve credit for hiring the right HC and GM. If on the other hand,the Dolphins once again suffer a season where they fail to make the playoffs, Ross will certainly deserve much of the blame because he is responsible for the hiring of the HC and GM.

36. PhinFan1968

I don't blame him for going after him...but to do it publicly, while still having an HC under hire? THAT was the pathetic part. That year was basically shot RIGHT then. Not to mention, I'm sure it produced a lot of ire from other executives/coaches around the league on how the new owner in Miami was a dipsh*t.

But ya...I've forgiven that also...was a dumb move and he had to learn a hard lesson that day.

Bpk likes this.
  37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol..I guess, but I swear, if I was him, with the connection to Harbaugh from Michigan, i would of tried myself.

38. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Perhaps you missed the fact that Joe Robbie built the stadium with his own money. Also Jerry Jones is reported to have spent over $700 million of his own money to help in the building of the $1.2 billion stadium outside Dallas.

Taxpayers today really don't have any interest in paying for new or renovated stadium. Services and schools are being cut, year after year because of a deficit in tax dollars. NFL owners are among the richest individuals in the world and if they want bigger and better stadiums, they should pay for them.

The reason Los Angeles doesn't have an NFL franchise is because the voters have no interest at all in building a new stadium for an NFL team. As we go forward, I think it is going to be harder and harder for owners to get taxpayer support in funding new or renovated stadiums.

While many of us love football, it just isn't as important as the other things taxes pay for and if it comes to cutting back on necessary services to fund a stadium, I just don't see it happening in the future.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ross does not want mediocrity.

Yes the team was 11-5 which explains why he took so long to move on from all those people. Since he's implemented his coaches the team has improved and its likely they will again this year. He's never been an owner, wasn't raised by an owner or to be an owner. He's had to learn on his way.

There's a disturbing trend in football and the fans where no one has any time or leeway to learn anymore. Rookie players have to be all world from day 1 or they are busts. First time HCs have to be all world or they suck and are the worst coach X franchise has ever had.

Ross' missteps are not earth shattering or unforgivable. Imagine if he was like the Bills owner.

40. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Since you are in your 40's, you have time to be patient. As someone who is over 20 years older than you, sorry but I am running out of time and patience.

I am willing to see how this year unfolds before I give up on Philbin as an NFL HC. If he gets this team into the playoffs, he will deserve to get a contract extension. Anything less though and I think it will be time for Ross to go after Harbaugh, Malzahn, Sumlin, or someone else with head coaching experience.

I agree that Ross's missteps are not earth shattering. Yet they have prevented this team from being much further along is their rebuilding than they should be after five years. Hopefully he has learned from his past mistakes and the future of the Dolphins will be brighter under his ownership.

Bpk and PhinFan1968 like this.