1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ross wants later games....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Mar 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Honestly I dont think it's as much of an advantage as we would like to make it out to be. It's really only an impact when teams have out of condition players, which does on occassion happen, but in that case we'd have an advantage regardless where the game was played.

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I have to disagree, remember the Colts game, that game was at night, the Colts were beaten physically, it was so humid that game....Now obviously it didnt help hahahaah.....but take it from me up here in the northeast Sept and Oct in Miami are brutal game to play.....nobody wants to play football in 90+ degree heat, and 95+ humidity.....

playing in a place like New England on a crisp fall Sunday in Oct is alot easier....

4. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Nobody wants to watch football in 90+ heat and 95+ humidity either.

Ultra and Fin D like this.
  5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well that's kind of my point as well.

In all honesty....it's hot here in the summer all night :lol: The difference between 1PM and 4 PM....there really isnt one. And even 4 PM to 7 PM isn't that much different.

Everyone plays in the same weather, I guess is my point. If we're the better team, we should win regardless.

gafinfan likes this.
  6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I say keep it the way it is...the place doesn't sell out, it never does...1pm 4pm, might as well keep the advantage on the side of the home players...

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    It isnt humid in San Diego, Arizona, up here at that time.....like down there, opposing teams come to Miami and wilt....unless they have Payton Manning....I still dont know how the Colts won that game....

Alex you hit it right on the head though...they should win regardless bro...

8. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    1. This is not news. They've publicly stated this before;
    2. That said, I believe the 1:00 September games give us a HUGE advantage.
    3. I've defended Ross a bunch here in the past, especially during the Carl Peterson baloney. I'm done defending him. This is BS. I want to win games, not enhance the fan experience.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    didn't realize that....I haven't seen it before...figured I would pass it along....then again I'm not really searching for the business side of the Dolphins..

10. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Ehh I like the 1 o'clock games better but it isn't a big deal to me. Late games first half of the season, early games second half.

11. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I can understand the argument either way. Maybe it's different for me, but the humidity has always been the killer in Florida for me. And that's typically worse at night in my opinion. It's still pretty darn warm, you just don't also have the sun beating down on you.

The other thing you guys have to think about it is even though our guys play here, and are "used to it," it still effects them as well. It takes longer to recoup from playing a grueling game baking in the sun. To say our first 4 home games are like that does also take a toll on our guys too.

Just playing Devils Advocate. I honestly can't come to a solid opinion one way or the other.

12. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I agree with you about times if Miami is anything like Tybee Its really as bad or worse later in the day and usually midnight before the temp really starts to drop from Sept. into Oct.

Just put a roof on it Ross or count on empty seats my friend.:wink2:

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Meh, we've played plenty (if not mostly) 1:00 games since 83...and we've won exactly 0 super bowls.

I think this is as important to our W-L as the weight of shoe laces is to speed.

Samphin likes this.
  14. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I hate 4 pm games. Ruins my Sunday. Every AFC East (AFC Conference?) home game is at 1 pm, aren't they? Keep it that way.

15. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I agree with this completely. The temperature change between the 1:00 games and the 4:00 games is nothing. Actually I took the time to look it up and on average it's hotter at 4:00pm than 1:00pm (per wunderground.com) though it starts cooling off around 7 which would be toward the end of the game.

I'm all for the change. I work every Sunday, generally I get out of work by 12:30 to make it home in time for the games but now if the games are at 4 you can bet your asses i'll be there in the staduim.

16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    If it was up to me every dolphin game would be sunday at 1:00
    none of this 4:00 stuff
    no monday night or sunday night or thursday night
    no games on thanksgiving
    i want to sit down early on sunday and watch the game

17. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    No offense to any of you guys, but who cares what you want. This move affects fans who live in or close enough to south florida to actually go to the game. Ross is looking at this move from a business standpoint, and he is right. It is brutal down there at 1pm and it most definitely affects fan attendance. Especially when south florida has a large elderly. While a good portion are snow birds there are a large number of that population who are dolphins fans. I guarantee you the heat keeps those people away. It is pitiful that we have so many empty seats during the games. Besides the more money Ross makes the better it will help our team.

18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Fans will come to the stadium when the team starts winning, and if you dont think the Heat and Humidity gives us an advantage just look at our Home record in September for the past 10+ years.

Well then dont be a *****.

jetssuck likes this.
  19. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Sept 2009: 0-1 At home loss to colts
    Sept 08: 0-1 At home loss to Jets
    Sept 07: 0-2 Losses to Raiders and Cowboys
    Sept 06: 1-1 Win vs bills and loss to titans
    Sept 05: 2-0 Wins vs broncos and panthers
    Sept 04: 0-2 losses to steelers and titans
    Sept 03: 1-1 beat bills and lost to texans
    Sept 02: 2-0 beat lions and jets
    Sept 01: 2-0 beat oakland and new england
    Sept 00: 3-0 beat seattle, batlimore and new england

In the last 10 years we are 11-8 at home in september. Not that much of an advantage considering we were 7-0 in 200-2002 and then after that it hasn't been relevant.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  20. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Yes off course, who cares to us. Except for the tiny little fact that South Florida' support for the Dolphins when I was there was pretty pathetic to be honest. I could really care less how the weather is outside of for the elderly, which I understand and there should be some covered seating based on that.

As for the rest of the South Florida fan base, it isn't even close to as loyal as the Dolphin fan base I've seen across the nation. People were ****ing embarrassed to be Dolphin fans when I went there. I'd say the vast majority of the loyal ones are posting on this forum. Outside of that it was an epic wtf.

21. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I don't like to sit in the stands for those games either,but I do.....
    Now,if I'm sweating my arse off,how does the other team feel at that time?
    The Fins practice in it for the most part,that HAS to be an advantage in Sept-early Oct.

22. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Those who believe that there's no difference between 1 pm and 4 pm, haven't been out in this south Florida sun much.

The difference is the sun at 1 pm is dead over head of you......it feels like it's on your shoulder.

This is just another of Ross' brilliant schemes

23. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

As a guy who played a pickup game in Florida during an April trip, I can honestly tell you that I probably sucked down a cooler's worth of fluids and STILL ended up cramping up bigtime after I got run over on defense (Thanks SICK).

So yes, I guess there IS an advantage, but then again, I am not an elite athlete either. These pros are exactly that...pros. And as such, I still have a hard time believeing that the September humidity gives us SUCH an advantage that changing the start time on a few games will make a difference.

Fans will come once the team starts winning. If Ross can make more money and keep the franchise even more stable than it is by wanting games moved, so be it. Personally, the NFL should have MORE games that start at the 4:00/1:00 hour. It is too front end heavy as it is in my opinion.

I am a single guy who goes out on Saturday Nights. Having to wake up at 8:30 in the morning to catch pre-game shows and 10 in the morning for the first games (west coast) is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind having my favorite team play later on occasion to get some well needed shut eye (and coffee).

24. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    The bets way for the Dolphins to prevent being on all 1pm games is to win. Better teams play at 4pm, 8:30pm and on Monday night.

25. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    You west coasters are a pain in the ***... :shifty:

Actually it's likely more humid at 4pm than at 1pm........but it's deff hotter 1-4 than it it is 4-7

You were here in April and cramping up? April is winter compared to September...lol

26. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1 PM EST game starts are better.....11 am here in Colorado which is the perfect time for brunch and bloody marys.