1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roster spot in jeopardy for Dolphins' White

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Aug 23, 2010.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    finyank13 and cobrajet like this.
  2. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Hmmm...first I've heard of this.

3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    White won't be cut we are just hiding our big secret weapon :lol:.
    One laughable theory that was tossed around the board today.

4. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I was surprised but not shocked when I saw this.

It's a shame we can't work PW into our offense somewhere. This is a multi-talented guy who is trying very hard, but its obvious that he is not full time QB material. Maybe we could use him as a KR? or a 4th and short QB? Who knows. Some people paint the pictures and others build the picture frames, maybe he's being used wrong. It would be a shame to lose him if he can add something.

5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Why is he still on the roster???

6. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    God only knows. Its like before draft day, everything is being held very close to the vest.

7. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    If its already been determined he has no future on the team, theres no reason to hold anything close to the vest.

8. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Who's this Chad Henne?
    Cut him.

9. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I kinda think they already know what PW is all about and are trying to figure out Thiggy. I would like to see PW play a little more myself. I know its only pre-season but doesn't he deserve his reps too? The whole situation is very odd. If you're PW it would suck (but at least be understandable) to be benched during the regular season, but to be benched in pre-season must be intolerable for him.

10. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    It is likely that he is not playing because he is so terrible that it hurts the development of the players around him, putting them and himself at a strong risk for injury.

11. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    ....but not terrible enough to be cut

12. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    The only keeping him from being cut at this point is having to admit to an embarrassing mistake.

13. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think that would make a difference, considering they havent played him in preseason.

14. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

If we keep him without a plan or place for him, we're doing him a disservice. We got Ginn out early and he got the full extent of Niners camp. I think we should move him, if he has no place, so he can get a fair shot in a team's system.

15. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    This is why I don't think him being cut is as imminent as others. This organization has always treated players fairly. When they knew Roth wasnt going to play here, they cut him and gave him a chance to go elsewhere. Theres no reason to keep white around if they know he's going to be cut.

16. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I really don't wanna see him on the field again...one day he'll literally break in half.

17. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    No actually it would....... right now ppl can only speculate, which is what is going on in everyone of the 17 Pat White threads currently on the front page

When he's finally released we will all know for sure that they have finally realized they wasted a high 2nd pick on specialty player.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  18. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Kinda'...Their keeping him so they can up his value because they want to trade him for something.

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If we "list" him as RB or FB, then technically we'd still have 3 QBs. :shifty:

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If we're "intending" to cut him, I'd rather cut him ASAP and risk the embarrassment than to risk future free agents viewing us as a team who will use players and hold onto them for weeks just so we get an extra preseason arm to throw to WRs.

21. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    :rolleyes:

yeah if we don't cut him stat we will never be able to land a free agent. Players will say I don't want anything to do with the Dolphins because of how they handled pat white. :wink2:
    Wow you people love to reach.
    It is okay to wait to the 11th hour to cut him if they want to do so.
    It's a business. :up:

22. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Id rather not move Pat White to another position if hes unwilling to do so. You can't force a square peg in a round hole anyways, I don't see him playing any other position in the NFL. He's too small, height and weight wise, to be anything other than a scrambling QB in a system that supports that. Even so, I can't picture him being a starter in the NFL. He should probably take up baseball or basketball. Whether we cut him now or after the final cuts are made, he could still land a roster spot elsewhere, but he won't be more than a #3 QB on any team. That whole "he should be given time to learn a new system on another team so cut him now" suggestion doesn't matter much because he won't be given any playing time this year on another team unless injuries occur. Face it folks, his time is done in Miami and maybe the NFL. Sometimes success in college doesn't translate to the NFL. It happens.

PhinsRock likes this.
  23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

How do you "up" a player's value by not giving him any reps even in preseason games? Problem is teams pretty much know he'll be cut, but who would want him? And why?

Kid needs to submit for the MLB draft, I wish him well, but he has no value for this team. Maybe we could do a "Parcells-buddy" CFL trade, PW might be able to get a career going up there, maybe we could get a decent backup tradesman for him.

24. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Seems like we go through a player like Pat White every year. First John Beck, the Ted Ginn, and now him.

25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Dolphins coach Tony Sparano confirmed Monday that Pat White is not scheduled for any snaps in the team's third preseason game.

White isn't going to make the roster. He was also held out of the second exhibition, and took just three snaps in the first. He'll be waived in September.

26. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Why wouldn't we waive him now?

27. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    :lol: I was being kind.

My thinking is they are holding on to him to see if they can get value(or anything) for him.
    He will be gone but we're holding on for something in return until the last final.................cut.

28. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    What a waste of a draft pick. Sad really.

29. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I've herd that White has been horrible in practice so why put him in a game. He's lost all confidence and I think his quick absense at the begining of camp was because he wanted out but his agent talked him back.

He is just a wasted pick. Time to move on. They've hit a few and missed a few....

jetssuck, cobrajet and Killerphins like this.
  30. Ozzy

They need 4 Qb's and especially for the last game when nothing matters. Thiggy will get some time in the first half, and White will mop it up, pack his #### and take the bus to the Minor league baseball camps.

jetssuck likes this.
  31. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Who wants to start a "Free Pat White Rally"? C'mon apologists, White power!

32. Ozzy

I'd like to see him free. I mean I really think he is a good person. Seems to be anyway but if he aint got it, set him free. I'm not mad that they wasted a 2nd round pick. Not happy either but the draft is what it is, and thats a gamble...

33. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Well, IF I'm Ireland, and IF I have interest in fetching draft picks for one Tyler Thigpen, and IF my plan is to develop White over a two or three year period, the LAST thing I do is give Pat White any snaps during pre-season. It wouldn't make any sense. You develop a Pat White in the film room...on the sidelines after each series looking at game snapshots...in the weightroom, on the practice field as the practice team QB. You fetch draft picks for Thigpen (IF you can at all) by showcasing him in preseason and HOPE that he shows well enough that a team who's Chad Henne and/or Chad Pennington goes down due to injury is desperate enough to pay out the nose to for a battle tested veteran starter with enough youth on his side to make a long term investment possible.

But hey, that's just my take on it.

eric likes this.
  34. Ozzy

A much better idea would be to develop Thigpen and keep him for a minute or two.

jetssuck and MrClean like this.
  35. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I just hope someday we have some sort of an explaination of whats going on. I wont hold my breath however...

36. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    The FO must have something else in store for him at another position, or they have made plays made especially for him. There is obviously something more to this or he'd be gone by now.

Personally, I think they'll cut him and put him on the practice squad for the day when Penny retires and there is a spot for him. There are certain benefits to keeping him in the program: he already knows the offense, the facility and the coaches, and they know exactly what they need him to develop. I think putting him on the practice squad could make a great deal of sense.

37. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I don't think you can compare the two.

Roth IMO was simply a move motivated by a clash of egos. A professional teams leadership should be better than that.
    To this day it makes zero sense and with our OLB issues we could certainly use his presence here.

White is a different situation.
    He is a high draft pick investment just 2 years from the pick.
    He is so dissapointing that I don't think they even know what they want to do with him at this point. They haven't cut him because they don't have to yet. Why force the issue. I'm sure there is pressure from some in the org. to hold on to him considering the high investment in him. They would be best just to cut ties though. I'd be upset if we cut someone with promise simply to continue the experiment.

38. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    After the first game. I was one a of the few that really thought we were showcasing Thigpen. Just thought that 2nd rounder wouldn't be let go. But after Sparanos comments today i need to come to my senses. He is history! I'll EAT THIS crow early

While it may be good thing im still disappointed.

39. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    i think its ridiculous how there is something new every day speculating about this kids job being in jeopardy.... all from people who arent paid to manage teams. fans who have no affiliation with the sport. people who's opinions who dont really mean anything.

i wont pretend to know one way or the other about pat white. i think he is a good kid. he is smart, respectful and talented. but i will say this. the professionals, who are paid a lot of money to run this team, chose to put him on the field in a few games last year, while the game was still up for grabs.

they saw something that made them choose him in the 2nd round... before sean smith, who started all 16 games, if i recall correctly.
    they saw something that made them put him on the field a few times last year

thats enough to tell me to keep my mouth shut and observe. im not ready to cut a 2nd round QB prospect after 1 season, when we have more pressing issues to deal with at QB. this is still the start of Henne's 3rd year. it will be the first time he goes into the season as the starter.

pennington isnt going to be here as a back up for ever. we got thigpen as insurance when pennington went down last season. henne wasnt proven yet and im sure white couldnt have handled the load if henne went down as well.

thigpen or pennington is trade bait, before pat white. we stand to gain from trading either of them. we only stand to loose by trading white.

the coaches chose to give pat white more pressing action in his first year then they did henne. henne did get some mop up duty.

im not saying he is going to light the league on fire or anything, but he hasnt even been given enough time to be as big a disapointment as beck or ginn, but he already seems to be hated more then either one of those two.

im not saying anything one way or the other. all im saying is..... chill the F out and shut up about pat white already. no story is better then a worthless story.

siciliansith likes this.
  40. Ozzy

How is it that they stand to lose more by trading White? I hope your answer is because White won't garner a 7th round pick at this point.

Id also say that White has been given plenty of time to show something but it seems all he is showing in Training Camps is that he is NOT what they thought, or that his confidence is totally shot because the reports are not good on him.

Sorry to say, but why should we shut the F up about White? He is a topic just like anyone else on the team. I see almost every post about White begin with them saying nice things about Pat White, the person, then they just tell the rest like they SEE it. That he's done absolutely nothing and seems to be a wasted pick, just like John Beck, who was BY FAR, hated on more than White.