1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RT Free Agents

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Mar 1, 2012.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I know a lot about football. But I also know enough to know what I don't know. And one of those things I know nothing about is RTs on other teams. Here's a link with all the FA offensive linemen: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/ol.html

I'd much rather get a RT in free agency and draft an impact player. Anybody got an opinion on this year's crop of FA RTs?

the 23rd likes this.
  2. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

With the way the salaries are somewhat eased with draft picks it's like pick your poison. Do you take a chance on drafting an impact player and pay him slightly less for a few seasons, or do you go after a sure impact player that is a free agent and take a chance on a lineman or lesser impact players.

I kind of liked Murtha. He can get at it in the run game but can he get better and stay healthy

3. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    While I think we're all hopeful when it comes to Murtha, it makes sense to add another tackle to both challenge him for the spot and increase depth. CK has mentioned Anthony Collins a fair bit as an option so he may be one to look at.

Whilst not a RT, I'm really warming up to the idea of going after Scott Wells. Having an experienced center who knows our new blocking scheme, who can lead the line in getting it done the way our new coaches want makes a lot of sense. Freeing up Pouncey to be an athletic guard that we need is another plus, and he may find it easier in pass protect there too.

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    would rather go after a Center (draft or free-agency) & move Pouncey to pulling guard, then let the roster compete for the right side of the offensive line. we have a lot of talent & flexibility on the right side: Murtha, Jerry, Incognito, Gardner & Carey.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    would rather go after a Center (draft or free-agency) & move Pouncey to pulling guard, then let the roster compete for the right side of the offensive line. we already have a lot of talent & flexibility on the roster: Murtha, Jerry, Incognito, Gardner & Carey

6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd be hesistant to move Carey to guard. if he can continue developing at center, he could be more valuable there. having said that, I definitely agree with your sentiment of beefing up the interior thru free agency (just at guard) and letting our guys compete for RT

[EDIT] I meant "pouncey to guard", not Carey. don't know why it came out like that

7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    in playing condition: Carey is awesome @ RT tackle that can fill in @ LT when needed.
    got a lot of talent on the offensive line. let them compete for the guard & tackle positions.
    all we need is a franchise quality starting center to allow us the flexibility to move pieces around in the best match-ups

8. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I don't know if Carey would be a suitable replacement at LT and might not even be a decent RT anymore. I really liked Carey in his prime he was definitely a team player and played wherever he was needed. He has definitely lost a step and his weight problem has become a bigger problem now that he has gotten older. I think I would like to see them pickup a younger right tackle in the draft or free agency to pair with JL.

9. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Carey's ship has sailed

Puka-head likes this.