1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running Game, Not QB Key For Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Georgia Fin, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Bpk, PhinsRock, Themole and 2 others like this.
  2. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Look its no secret that running is the key to our offense this year but dont expect us to win more than 6 games with just a solid running game and no passing game.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree GF.

While that is true, the difference was that Delhomme made plays. He had 16 interceptions that season but had 19 TD's. Our Quarterback situation is different than theirs was. We have two unproven guys and a journey man in McCown.

We seem to be going with the philosophy that is ran by the Steelers. Roethlisberger has passed an average of 22 times per game in his career including 16.75 and 18.4 a game in his first two years in the league.

Georgia Fin likes this.
  4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Its true were not going to beat teams throwing it 30-40 times a game. We have to force defense to respect the passing game. But when QB's have to make a play they have to play smart.

Themole likes this.
  5. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia

Yea, I had hopes that Beck had got it together this offseason, but it's not looking good for him now. I never was too excited with the McCown signing, and at least Henne looks like he might be something down the road, but none of this really helps the here and now. You know it's bad when they start comparing guys to Frerotte.:pity:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
    alen1 likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, I'm a huge Beck supporter but if he can't get the job done, sorry, take a seat. I was never to big on Henne but always thought he was a pretty good player. I think it was a smart move to take him at 57 because I thought he had great value at the spot, considering we were contemplating taking him at the 33 (or 32 if you will) spot.

McCown or ''McClown'' as they call him in Raider Nation isn't the best thing but he can string good performances together. He's very inconsistent though and tends to turn the ball over.

I just hope we can get a guy out of this QB situation who will not play dumb. I can understand if they sometimes try to make a play and force it, causing a turnover but don't consistently do it.

I wish we never got rid of Gus Frerotte. Thought he was a good backup.

Georgia Fin likes this.
  7. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Hopefully Henne turns into something and yes I agree he was great value at 57. I am not 100% convinced that we're done looking at FA QBs this year. Favor or not, if we're looking at Carter, we're in the market for someone serviceable. JMO.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Interesting perspective. I think we looked at Carter to somewhat scare the Quarterbacks we have now. This was just a tryout but the Sparano and Co. could have made it look as if they were not confident in their current QB situation. I believe that they are pleased with what they have now but might have wanted to strike some fear in to the current competitors.

EDIT: I think I just said the same exact thing in three sentences, just different choice of words. lol.

gafinfan and Georgia Fin like this.
  9. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Good thought. Maybe it was just to motivate them and I'm looking too much into it, but can you blame me? If it was to motivate, we should know by the next couple of performances in practices.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol, true. Yeah, I hope it motivated them. Seems to be working on Henne. I believe he was struggling earlier in camp and now he's looking better than the other two, despite having the least experience.

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I liked the Josh McCown signing Alen1, he is a veteran and has 30 starts under his belt, at the very least he will not be so easy to fool as Beck or Henne would be and he is a gamer, pretty tough player.

I'd prefer Beck to win the job that way we have some ceiling to look forward to, but if Josh wins the job I won't be heartbroken because IMO he is a better short term Qb.

For Dolphins 2008, we need a Qb who makes the fewest mistakes and is comfortable with the football and the offense, and hopefully can run the play action pass better then average.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Do you think Quincy Carter could be on the menu GF? I have a sneaky suspiscion that he might be.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree. I didn't mind the signing but was wondering if there was anyone out there better than him at the time. I know he's a tough guy, probably one of the toughest players out there and that character trait seems to fit in well with Sparano and company.
    Same here.

While I agree with you Padre, the question is do we have a guy who can do that for us? We have a player in Beck whose got 5 total games under his belt and gets rattled when there's pressure, forcing him to throw the ball up and commit a turnover. We have a rookie in Henne that we don't know what he is capable of and we have a guy in McCown who can put up the 400 yard game and a 3 TD performance but will give you 2 or 3 picks as well.

McCown might be the better short term QB but when do you stop putting in these stop-gap players and see what you have in your young guys? IMO, we need to see what Beck can do for us. If he shows us that he is not capable of managing the game then we move on to see what Henne has. I wouldn't throw Henne in to the wolves this year but next year, I expect him to be the starting Quarterback of this team unless Beck can prove to the coaching staff that he is able to adjust to this level of play and be 'the guy'.

14. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia

Actually I do. Nothing negative was said other than he was out of shape. I think Parcells and Sparano have already proven to be more comfortable with "Their Guys." If they don't see the improvement they want out of our 3 QBs I'd look for him to be added. He's not on anyone elses radar so he won't break the bank and the comfort level is there. I don't think they'd be looking at the menu if they weren't still hungry.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We have the luxury of Beck once we have the rest of the offense sorted out, that is one of the problems with a rebuild, we will have "new":

Guards
    Left Tackle
    Unproven WR unit (unless Glenn shows up)
    Te that never started (Fasano)

All of those things need to be worked through and tested, adding a raw Qb in there may not help those things develop.

Going into the season in 2007, we did not have that many questions and we were bad, this year we have even more questions and no Trent Green at Qb.

alen1 likes this.
  16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If its like some of you say, that we brought in carter because we wanted to motivate our three QB's then i dont want their asses on this team..if there was genuine concern that these players needed that, then they all can F@@k off.

I will take carter right now if these guys are lacking in the motivation dept.

I highly doubt the reason he was brought in was because the see some lack of motivation.

Themole and cnc66 like this.
  17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I can see that being one of those "Get into shape and we may give you a call this season" deals.

As I recall, Carter was one of those mobile but inaccurate Qb's with a big arm and good speed but he was really undisciplined, he "almost" led the Cowboys to the playoffs, but he also sat sometimes behind Chad Hutchinson(?).

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good point. But why not develop him along with the other areas? He's been working with the first team in Training Camp so he is familiar with them.

I don't know if it was to motivate them, if it was then I concur. I think it was more to almost strike fear into the competitors, as to say that they weren't pleased with the QB situation.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    After observing josh mccnown, seing him throw the ball, watching him roll out. He reminds me of a bigger better Jay Fieidler.

I still am not going to judge until after the 2nd preseason game.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I thought he did lead them to the playoffs? In 03 when they lost to Carolina in the first round. I remember Stephen Davis torturing the 'boys that day. (or was that a regular season game?)

21. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Exactally, if by the 2nd preseason game they don't like what they've got, I look for them to potentally make the call. I think they like the idea that he's not afraid to scramble when it breaks down and with a new Oline and struggling offense that has to be a plus. At that point, it couldn't hurt to bring him in and see if he's got anything for us. I'd like to think someone on the roster would step up, but if they don't, at least the guys are already trying to find a backup plan.

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Problem is carrying 4 quarterbacks GF, I don't think that is possible, and the 3 that we have are not really expendable, McCown, Beck, Henne all have value to them....

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Exactly. That's why I don't see the signing of Carter here unless one was to go down and put on IR.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Or if a trade were made......:shifty:

alen1 likes this.
  25. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Which means someone must go, who would step up and show up with it all on the line? Sounds like a classic Parcells move to me.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think you'll see any of them go. Henne and Beck are still relatively young, NFL-wise in Beck's case. Carter would give us equal production to McCown. (likely statistically and W-L record)

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh brother, Bro, after the stench that grew from the "Is Ted Ginn Expendiable" thread, I am hesistant to comment on "who"...:lol:

We have 1 veteran and 1 1 yr player who is struggling and spanking new rookie who has never seen the field, we need the Vet, we won't cut or trade the #57 pick...that would leave....:shifty:

Georgia Fin likes this.
  28. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    If our Running game gets stuffed then dont hold your breath guys. Going to be a long season if our D cant hold. With no QB who has actually got any history of being able to play to a decent standard and no pass catching TE or bonafide WR's who should be classed as No1 WR to pass to we are asking alot.

29. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    If you're not getting it done then you're not that valuable. Henne will get a pass because he's a rookie and their pick. Beck maybe depending on his performances, and McCown is a nomad so there is no loyalty. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pulling for Carter, but I would not be suprised if he was added to the roster due to the others not stepping up.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Do you have any confidence in McCown..at all?

31. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    I know bro, but I went there anyways.:lol:

32. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    To be honest padre no. Confidence is a trait gained by success or at least leadership and McCown doesnt derserve that trait IMO. He hasnt started enough games in 6 yrs to fill me with any confidence. Right now i'd take Frerotte and thats a sad state of affairs. In his 6yrs McCown had 71.6 rating! :cry: Hes played on worst teams in NFL and now hes coming to worst team of 2007. Fact.
    Hes not expected to light it up because we got him with the staff expecting him to perform and to train with a team who got a 1-15 record last season. Doesnt fill one with confidence really does it? It also says to me we are hoping for one of our QB's to perform with a better O-Line and RB corp. I wont say WR or TE because i dont think it is better. Thats for next yr. All of our QB's are living up to last yrs 1-15 record right now. I will hold back on Henne because hes a Rookie and has time to backtrack and get a better supporting cast. Beck was thrown to the lions last season which wasnt fair to his progression. McCown knows where he has landed and he isnt grabbing the Starter spot which drills me with dread. No..i dont have confidence with McCown. To be frank im annoyed we are reading that our QB's are showing no major progress and the Press still cant pick a winner. Instead they are constant in their reviews of poor QB'ing.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sadly, I think McC's 71% was better then Lemon's last season.

The failure of our Qb's in the drills is amazing to me, are they being put into situations where they will fail, or are they just that bad?

The real shame of it is, we have some pieces on the team right now in Brown and Ginn and Williams, but without a good Qb, they will not be that effective.

Georgia Fin likes this.
  34. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Good point, remember this is the only staff that stumped Matt Ryan with their question about what he would do if he failed at being an NFL QB? What if they are setting them up to fail to see who can mentally take it? I hadn't thought about it like that.

35. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    Hard to expect QB's to shine with this "buzzer" thing when weve had a QB who wasnt allowed even those 3 seconds last season, McCown who has played for teams who were bottom 5 at best and Henne who hasnt had a taste for the NFL. If they all fail the buzzer test then to be fair IMO im not suprised.

36. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    I don't think anyone is really expecting them to shine at this point, but I also don't think anyone was expecting them to show this poorly. At this point a little progression and consistency would be welcome.

37. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I'll go with this part of the article.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i think the philosophy by parcells and sparano is to throw everything but the kitchen sink at all of them, not expecting them to really blow people away but who will be the last one standing with their confidence in tact.

At least this is what iam now trying to convive myself of

padre31 likes this.
  39. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    I think how well we play defensively will have a bearing on what we do Offensively.

It is all very well saying we will do this and that, but we are a 1 -15 team for god's sake. We have to take what we can get. I love the philosophy of run first and defend,that woks for me. Of course for that to work you have to have two good lines. Once you get to that stage, really there is nothing stopping you from going all the way. Other than a QB who can manage a good team :lol:

40. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I can see your point but if its true I don't like it one bit. I want John's motivation to come from within. In his last Q and A he seems to have gotten his head on straighter by saying that he had to just go out and quit worring about what he can't control and just PLAY! It's not going to slow down until or unless he quits thinking and lets everything just come to him.:wink2:

Bpk and alen1 like this.