1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rushing attack goes backward + Other news

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    anlgp, Ophinerated and CrunchTime like this.
  2. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I hope Porter gets the sack record, and i hope if he does, its not when a QB lays down for him, i hope he earns it

Ophinerated likes this.
  3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Clady better than Long ? IMO thats an unfair comparison and premature assesment .

Clady was inserted into a veteran group of offensive linemen while the Dolphins OL was put together this year from rookies and free agents.They have not gelled yet as a unit .

Plus we have found ourselves in more long yardage situations which lead to sacks

4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That is such a bad article.

The Broncos offense relies heavily on bootlegs, waggles, roll-outs, whatever you want to call them. Given that Cutler is right handed, these typically go to the right side, away from Clady. A large portion of the time when Denver wants to go deep, or as a mechanism to avoid pressure, they call these type of plays.

Furthermore, claiming straight YPC is relevant to the situation is dumb too. The Broncos bread and butter running play is a off tackle cutback. He's as often helping them gain yardage through a cutblock, which is not exactly an awe-inspiring display of talent, or merely working as a decoy as the play cuts back in the other direction.

Ryan Clady has yet to do what Jake Long did to Richard Seymour and Ty Warren in the run game, or Mario Williams and Terrell Suggs in pass protection.

5. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Rushing attack goes backward
    Rushing attack goes backward

Ronnie and Ricky didnt just become average RBs .IMO thats due to the OL and playcalling which has been puzzling at times and the fact that our WRs have not been able to stretch the field very much. .

6. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Look at the author, then find your own roll of toilet paper.

This is a my dad can beat up your dad argument. The two players would never succeed in the other's offensive system, and thats pretty darn close to fact. Also, both players were highly touted, and they ended up going to right teams for them. Neither one was ever regarded as a bust possibility by any draft pundit, so whay can't they both be good at what they are asked to do?

late again likes this.
  7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

:w00t::woot:

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ronnies was asked about the running yesterday and why its been less effective, he said it was nice to see chad and ginn connect on some deeper plays, he said it will be nice to get that extra guy out of the box.

It was obvious that teams were starting to creep their whole defense towards the LOS. what chad and teddy did will do wonders for our running game, if we play strait up man on man in the running game, WE WILL DOMINATE THE OPPONENT, but when you have the extra guy in there its difficult

anlgp and CrunchTime like this.
  9. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Lets us hope that Porter adds some more sacks against the Broncos and Clady is the victim of some of those.
    IMO its an unfair comparison considering the situation each player was drafted into. With a left handed QB his blindside is to the right and would get more pressure from that side. Not to mention Clady was placed in an established line and Long was placed in a line that is still establishing itself and learning to play as a group.

10. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I said it for a long time that i dont think ronnie got what it takes to be our star rb,he pretty good but nothing past that people jumped up when he had few good games and then falls short again. What really has surprise me is that I always argue saying ricky was better but he has not lived up to my expectation either what a waste of talent.Hopefully they both prove me wrong because i thought we would run over everybody.

11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Premature yes. But it's out in the open this is an assessment 8 games into the season. Nothing hidden there. You really got to play with what you're given though, and even if Clady was inserted into a gelled line he's still a rookie that has to learn with the guy next to him. The guy next to him of course knows the system, but Smiley isn't a chump off the street either.

I've seen a lot of talk in the forums of Long OROY, deserves even though Ryan might win it, etc. And I asked myself, has he played all that well? I am not a guru by any means (which is why I had to ask of course). The only thing that sticks in my head is him getting bullrushed by a houston DE not named Williams. :D

Oh and our running attack sucks right now. There might be several mitigating factors of course, but at the end of the year you gotta play the results/stats game.