1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan: "It's going to be our city sooner or later"

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Aug 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13761418/new-york-belongs-to-giants-despite-how-loud-jets-roar

"It's just one of those things. Most New Yorkers like the Yankees. The Yankees are New York's baseball team, and I'm a Mets' fan, so I respect that. But if you live in New York you know the Giants are New York's football team. The Jets haven't won a championship since 'Broadway Joe.' They have a lot of new talent over there, and a lot of things going for them, but they don't even play in our conference."

Of course, that doesn't fly with Ryan and Generation Rex, and I get it: They're looking to make names for themselves, and they did last season when they reached the conference championship game while the Giants sat home for the playoffs.

Then the Jets went out and loaded up on high-profile talent in the offseason, acquiring former NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson, former Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes, former NFL Defensive Player of the Year Jason Taylor and former Pro Bowl star Antonio Cromartie.

But that wasn't enough. So they landed a gig on HBO's Hard Knocks, introducing Ryan to a national audience that might have missed his standup routines. Ryan followed by proclaiming the Jets the team to beat this season, a risky gesture by a coach who went 9-7 last season and didn't win his division. Then he completed the hat trick by calling the Jets -- you guessed it -- New York's team.

"We're the biggest show in town," he said.

If nothing else, Ryan has made the Jets irrepressible. So you don't like them; you can't ignore them. Ryan not only makes for great copy; he makes for must-see TV. So does his telegenic quarterback, Mark Sanchez, New York's favorite bachelor quarterback. And ditto the all-everything cornerback Darrelle Revis, who is definitely on "Revis Island" now with a contract holdout that has defenders across the league riveted.

But that doesn't make the Jets New York's team. Maybe it makes them "America's Team," but I know some people in Texas who would disagree. I also know that the Jets are New York's football team like the Mets are New York's baseball team.

Which means they aren't.

"It's going to be our city sooner or later," Ryan insisted, "and it might as well be now. I have a great deal of respect for the New York Giants, but I'm not playing second fiddle ... and our team is not playing second fiddle ... to anybody, let alone a team that plays in our building."

Correction, their building, Rex. Until or unless someone buys the naming rights to the building, the new stadium will be known as Giants Stadium. I know, the official designation is Meadowlands Stadium. Big deal. Old habits die hard.

"Just tell Rex this," said Giants' defensive end Justin Tuck, "I'll see him on Monday."

He's delusional. Though, I'm sure we already knew that after their losses to the Dolphins last season. When we got lucky for using "trickery" even though the Jets also use the wildcat and fake punts as well. Hypocrites. And then when he forgot that Special Teams, Defense and the Scoreboard still count when you play a game.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Well, Rex is big enough to constitute an entire zip code. I guess the city is already "his".

3. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    oh man this team is begging to crash and burn harder than any other, ever.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Overreaction. That was.

5. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    The media keeps giving this guy more opportunity to run his yap and that he is doing indeed.

6. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Rex Ryan...the "Snookie" of the NFL.

He's fat, homely, loudmouthed, classless, conceited with no reason to be, and the only people who want to have sex with him are knuckle dragging guidos from Jersey.

Rocky Raccoon and Boik14 like this.
  7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Some of the Jet fans I know are getting tired of his talking also.

He is putting a huge target on the teams back.

8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    New Yorkers don't care about the Jets, they love the Giants....the same way they could care less about the Mets, and love the Yankees...

Boik14 likes this.
  9. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

I don't agree

A: I'm a Met fan :tantrum:

B: The Giant fan base is an older group, the Jet fan base is much younger.

It's not 50/50 yet, but its getting close.

10. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Can you guys ever remember a coach being this brash? I know every coach will say that the goal is to win a Superbowl, but this guy pretty much guarantees it with no consideration of the competition.

finyank13 likes this.
  11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    So you dont matter then!!! hahaha just joking bro....:lol:

It is harder being the Mets competing against the Yanks, than the Jets competing against Giants....that for sure, but hey at least they have their own ballpark...:up:

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    When your inferior you talk, to try to will something to happen, good dominate teams, dont say a word, and smack you on gameday..

Pagan and DePhinistr8 like this.
  13. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    this is just plain wrong...there are millions of mets fans in ny. They have outdrawn the Yankee in years they have had good teams. During the 80's and early 90's when the yanks were terrible the mets were front page every day.

I think there are more giants fans then jets fans in nyc, Connecticut and nj, the jets are definitely far more popular on long island

14. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Bro, the last time the Mets outdrew the Yankees was 1992.

finyank13 likes this.
  15. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Which will make it so much sweeter when they crash and burn.

16. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    That is correct, not bad for a penguin! :tongue2:

Pagan likes this.
  17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

That is history.....who cares about the 80's and 90's it is a blip on the NY sports radar...even so the majority of the 90's belonged to the Yanks too...

18. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Countdown to Ryan asking who the F is Tony Dungy?????

finyank13 likes this.
  19. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I know you're talking, I see you're mouth moving, but all I hear is blah blah blah I'm a dirty mets fan, blah blah.

finyank13 likes this.
  20. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Yeah I can attest to the Mets being pretty popular, considering the success of the Yankees. The Jets are too, but it's not anywhere close to the Giants. I see a lot of people who only care when the Jets are winning[more than average for a fanbase, since all teams have that]. Far more Jets fans are trying to call it "their stadium" and "their city" than Giants fans. There is just something about the majority of the Jets fanbase... It's filled with mini-Rex Ryan's.

The Jets are popular on Long Island and Staten Island...the two most annoying places in the Northeast. (Sorry to anyone from there, but then you know a lot of people from there are!)