1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Matthews - RB SD

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by Tone_E, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Ok,

Keeper League:

I drafted this guy as a rookie - no impact and injured

I drafted him last year as well - injured, good end to the season but Tolbert got most of red zone touches, who is no longer with the team.

This year, I put him on the block and I am going to ask for a 1st, but likely get a 2nd.

Is this the year he blows it up? He already starting the year injured. I'd just hate to finally give up on the guy and he ends up excelling.

-------
    Here is my team:

* Dolphins DST MIA
    * Doucet, Early WR ARI
    * Freeman, Josh QB TB
    * Hernandez, Aaron TE NE
    * Jones, Julio WR ATL
    * Karim, Deji RB IND
    * LaFell, Brandon WR CAR
    * Lewis, Marcedes TE JAC
    * Manning, Peyton QB DEN
    * Mathews, Ryan RB SD
    * McCoy, LeSean RB PHI
    * Nicks, Hakeem WR NYG
    * Novak, Nick K SD
    * Patriots DST NE
    * Redman, Isaac RB PIT
    * Rice, Sidney WR SEA
    * Ringer, Javon RB TEN
    * Smith, Kevin RB DET
    * Wells, Beanie RB ARI
    * Young, Titus WR DET

Thinking of keeping;

1. Manning
    2. Jones/H.Nicks
    3. McCoy

or

1. McCoy
    2. Matthews
    3. Jones/H.Nicks
    --------------------------

Can anyone offer some advice? I'm torn on this Matthews kid.

2. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    To me Jones and McCoy are the no brainers and id be debating between Hicks/Matthews.
    What pick are you? If you drop RM will he still be there? Maybe the injury will scare the other owners and he'll drop.

EDIT: if the deadline was right now id go with RM. He broke his collarbone and didnt tear a ligament esp. a knee.

Tone_E likes this.
  3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Nicks, Jones, McCoy.

Tone_E likes this.
  4. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I didn't do too well last year, so I pick 4th.

However, I've been asked what I want for Mathews from a pick standpoint, so I can pick up a 1st or 2nd for him. Every fantasy site has the guy as a top 5 RB. Crazy! Makes me wonder.

I was actually thinking maybe keeping McCoy, Hicks, and Jones. Then taking best RB available at Pick No. 4.

RB is VERY tricky position this year!

5. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks, was giving that combo some thought as well.

Asked for a 1st or high 2nd for Matthews. Just sent the email. We shall see.

6. vmarcilfan75

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels

Ooops forgot about the Trading part. If RM stays healthy i think he'll be a Top 5 RB

Interesting to see who'll be available at #4. You can go Top RB at #4 and Top QB(Stafford assuming Rodgers/Bress/Brady are keepers) will the RM pick you traded.

So by RD 2 you'd have

QB/RB/MCCoy/Jones/Hicks

pretty sick team

Tone_E likes this.
  7. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah, but I don't know why the guy wants Matthews, he has Ahmad Bradshaw and Ray Rice.

What is he gonna do, keep Rice/Matthews/Bradshaw? His best QB is Rivers, and best WR is Marshall/Welker and he has Gronk as well.

He won last year, so I asked for his first so if not, I can get the first pick of the 2nd round for Matthews.

8. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    He just offered me Welker and pick. LOL.

Sorry bud, no dice.

9. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The thing with Mathews is that theres a lot of risk reward with him. Norv Turner had Emmit Smith and Tomlinson and he worked them as much as they could handle. He still goes old school and loves the primary back thing. That means if Mathews can stay healthy hes getting 22-27 touches a game just like those other two used to get. That would put him in line to get about 1500-2000 total yards and 10-15 TD's. He supposed to be out the rest of the preseason but there have been whispers he may not get back til week 3.

So the decision here is imo whether you want to play it safe with McCoy, Nicks and Jones or whether you want to go high risk/high reward with McCoy, Mathews, and Nicks or Jones. Given that you pick 4th Id probably go McCoy, Jones, Nicks. At 4 I get the best RB available and hope maybe Mathews injuries scares a few teams off.

Tone_E likes this.
  10. vmarcilfan75

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    He'll most likely drop Bradshaw if he got Matthews.
    Interesting you can trade before naming Keepers in this league.

11. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah man, I will pick up Bradshaw quick times at 4 if he is on the board.

12. vmarcilfan75

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    that wouldnt be a good move :lol:

you can get him the 2nd/3rd round

13. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    That is pretty much why I took him early last year, after a drafted him as a rookie. This guy has been a perennial disappointment for me, and I have that gut feeling that as soon as I give up on him, like you said, he does very well. But I can't take that chance 3 times in a row, especially if he busts again.

PS. I did the same thing with Beanie Wells the last two years. That is why I'm picking 4th overall. F me. I had blind faith in those guys. They on my black list right now. lol

14. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    No chance. It is a 12 team keeper league man. He'll be gone in the first. Brandon Marshall went 1st round last year. There isn't much available on the board after36 keepers, never mind a starting RB without a platoon.

15. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    You dont want Bradshaw at 4. Hes just as injury prone as Mathews and his line is very average. He is tough as nails but his feet and ankles are perpetual injury bugs. Hes already had a few surgeries on them. You should be able to find a quality back or a good QB at 4. There are a lot of backs nowadays because about half the teams use a legit time share. At the very least some like a Shonn Greene should be around at 4....I cant imagine him going high or going in the top 3. Hes not a top 40 player in a PPR format but for your team he may be the best of whats around.

Tone_E likes this.
  16. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks bro - sound advice.

Can't take a Jet though. Something about that irks me. Don't mind taking NE or BUF players, but not the Jets.

I'm thinking of taking fliers on Ryan Williams and leaning towards Trent Richardson at 4 if he is there. Hoping R. Williams falls to the second, or taking him with the last pick of the first if the guy takes Matthews for his 1st rounder (last pick) that he is currently considering if I don't take a RB with No. 4.

17. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    You cant have favorites in fantasy football. Being impartial is one of the hardest things to do but its a must.
    That said Ryan Williams is a solid back up plan. Richardson will be gone by 4 unless you're drafting with people who are not smart lol.

18. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Well, I'm hoping he'll bite and give me his first for Matthews. That way I go BPA at #4 and address my need at the end of the first round.

At worst, I put Matthews back in the pot and see if he's there at #4, which I doubt, but will give me a better chance to land Richardson.

Greene could work now that I think about who their offensive coord is. :)

Boik14 likes this.
  19. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I would ship Mathews off. Its pretty clear this guy is too fragile to even play in the NFL.

Tone_E likes this.
  20. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    That is what im thinking. If the guy doesn't give me his first, I will take his second pick, which is the very next pick as he picks last in the 1st round and first in the 2nd round.

21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I would make him give you the first. If its a 1 pick difference then you want to be picking in front of him. You hold the cards. He stands NO CHANCE of getting Mathews at the end of round 1. As injury prone as Mathews is, someone will take a chance on him guaranteed. Hes too good not to gamble on and Turner like I said will use his primary back to death when hes healthy. You can look at it one of two ways: A 2nd round pick is better then nothing. Or a high upside talent, even an injury prone one, going to the defending champs is not a good thing but Im going to maximize value.

To be honest given the situation, your standing, and the player in question I would probably take it one step further....
    Would you take Mathews at 4 if he were there? If yes then at what point is the risk of getting Mathews back at pick 4 outweighing such a mediocre reward? As you said 36 players are already off the board so youre picking 40th and hes picking last in round 1 (44-48th depending how many teams). Like him or not Mathews IS at worst a top 30 player with the upside to be top 7 if he stays healthy. His per game production is very good when he does play. By settling for his late 4th or early 5th youre passing up a potential mid-late 2nd round value in most leagues since thats where Mathews is going. That doesnt sound like a great trade off. Id probably ask for both his 4th and 5th round pick (1st and 2nd rounds after keepers) or the possibility of getting him back outweighs the reward of a late 4th/early 5th. If hes a smart champ he knows he has no chance to get Mathews where he is. if hes not smart Mathews or Richardson/Williams/whoever you want could get pushed down to you. Thats the win-win scenario youre looking for. 2 extra high picks to stock load talent and potentially move up in the draft for a Richardson or a Doug Martin or some other potential fantasy gem.

Tone_E and vmarcilfan75 like this.
  22. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Hey, that is the exact logic I took. He gave away his 2nd during last season to get WR help - Welker. So I told him 1st or nothing, because by me putting him back in the pot helps me get the guy I really want anyway. So he knows that I have a plan for 4th overall, be it use Matthews to keep my guy on the board, or give me the opportunity to take Matthews again.

Thanks for the great advice bro!

Boik14 likes this.
  23. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    UPDATE:

The guy who wanted Matthews traded his Bradshaw for the 3rd overall (I pick 4th) in a multi player/pick trade.

I'm thinking I keep McCoy/Matthews/Jones and take best BPA. F it. One more year rolling the dice with Matthews it looks like. Hopefully I don't roll snake eyes again.

24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Why dont you use Mathews and your 2nd rounder as bait and jump him to 2? Grab either Richardson or Doug Martin there. Then hopefully grab a good WR/TE/QB at 4....

Tone_E likes this.
  25. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I'm like Billicheck, I like to acquire picks. However, picking 1 and 4 overall is too tempting, and using a player I want to unload anyway makes it even better on my end.

I sent an offer for Matthews and my 2nd for first overall pick. If he rejects, I will try for the 2nd overall.

Thanks, I totally didn't even think of that, because of my mentality.

26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yeah, theres a way to handle people like this guy..he already blew his load moving up to 3 (btw the guy who took an injured bradshaw is a knucklehead...you should be proposing him stuff post draft for his best players). Hes basically fresh out of ammo. You have 4 and Im assuming #21 in a 12 team snake draft? 21 and Mathews has to be awfully tempting for a bad team.

Keep Jones-Nicks-McCoy and take Richardson at 1. Youre set for years at RB and next year you'll have to decide between Nicks and Jones...1st world problems :)

27. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Rejected - 1st not up for trade. Even though he needs the help. His 2nd starting RB was Daniel Thomas. LOL. He has Tom Brady/MJD/Daniel Thomas as his best keepers unless he wants to keep a starting Ted Ginn, Sanchez, Derick Mason, or Gates.....man his team is bad. His third keeper is gonna be terrible.

Off to offer the second pick the same deal.

28. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Thats what I call an idiot. MJD is a holdout so entering the season he may have 0 starting RB's. His 3rd best keeper is Gates lollllllllllllll. Sucks to be him.

29. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Yup, he wants Richardson I guess.

Very stupid considering his roster.

30. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Get to 2 and take Martin

31. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    probably to late to th party but i would not want anything to do with ryan matthews

32. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Coudln't swing a trade so I ended up keeping;

1. McCoy
    2. Matthews (FFS!....again)
    3. Julio Jones

I will target BPA at my No. 4 overall pick...even if it is a RB. Hoping to get Demarco Murray or Doug Martin. If not, I will look for stud TE (Graham or Gronk only) or top QB if available, which I doubt.

Making an effort at targeting the following guys late or as sleepers in no particular order;

Amendola
    Alshon Jeffrey
    Ryan Williams
    Russell Wilson (hope I get him, and may reach a bit for him)
    Emmanuel Sanders
    J. Baldwin
    LaFell
    Meachem