1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Swope Retires...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinNasty, Jul 25, 2013.

1. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Problem is, most coaches these days are about that "W" and not the kids who is gone in 4 years anyways, health...

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Granted it's been 10+ years since I played in HS, but our coaches definitely emphasized proper technique. They hated when guys wouldn't wrap up or keep their head up.

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    You're lucky. Down in the hot bed of south Florida....those coaches are ruthless haha

4. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Well it doesn't help when your concussion prone and then proceed to get another concussion in OTA's.

5. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    That explains alot.:tongue2:

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    suck it! haha

xphinfanx likes this.
  7. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Football will still be around in 34 years time, it may be a more safety conscious game, but it'll still be around.

8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Let's see, Swopes retires because of concussions....after everyone was miffed that the Fins didn't draft him as a confidant of RT = Ireland sucks.

Mt. McKinnie reports to the Ravens some 20 pounds overweight after everyone here insisted we HAD to have a LT to replace Long and he was the best option = Firelreland

Eric Winston signs with the Cards accepting a 1 yr about the same offer as Irish made to him 3 months ago = Ireland has no plan and has to bite the bullet and give the guy the multiyear deal or he's an idiot.

Maybe, just maybe Irish isn't quite the idiot many seem to think he is... Obviously, we still don't know the outcome of the moves he has made this year as TC has just started, but maybe Irish has a better idea than some of us have in what he's doing...

Den54 and xphinfanx like this.
  9. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Andrea Kremer did a report interviewing the guy who ended up coming up with the standard helmet you see in NASCAR and other racing sports. He had come up with a new lightweight helmet which was intended to be a prototype for the NFL. If the NFL was serious about this concussion stuff it would at least have looked into it, but judging by the interview it looked like it was a longshot at best to even get thoroughly researched by the league. Feel bad for Swope.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    you would think that would be the reason. but this high school isn't like my high school in MS - filled with high powered high school kids including a few NFL players that puts winning up there, our local high school in Concord is filled with sheltered, mostly smaller white kids. my guess is that the coaches don't know about the kid's other concussions.

11. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Good on him, thankfully he got his degree I hope so he will have opportunities in his non-football career. I have had some very serious concussions throughout my life, you can probably tell by reading my posts. :lol:

I don't mean to make light of it, I do wish there had been the awareness of concussions when I was young and played football, often I've wondered if some of my early memory loss (I'm only 61) is partly due to them. Hats off to this young man for such a smart decision.

Makes me wonder if Ireland perhaps through Sherman, knew of his history causing us not to draft him. Doubtful but who knows?

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  12. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Or, this thread could be about Ryan Swope and concussions.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

VanDolPhan and PhinsRock like this.
  13. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    That sounds about right. Unfortunately it sounds like this kid shouldnt be playing football, especially if he gets concussed from baseball and basketball.

14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Or not...for the most part, any thread about personnel or potential personnel seems to turn into a love/hate Irish one anyway. Look, I have sympathy for the kid and his concussion issues and I certainly was not making light of them. That's wasn't the point of my post.... However, the fact is that many folks wanted us to draft Swopes and we didn't...there was a reason... In fact, that's probably the reason this thread was started in the first place...

slickj101 likes this.
  15. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    Good for him recognizing it now...lot of people should eat some crow for raging during draft starting third round....

16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Cards also signed John Abraham. Two good late signings that should play significant roles and upgrades their roster talent level.

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

At some point the prophecy becomes self-fulfilling.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

18. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Never wanted Swope...wanted Cordarrelle Patterson, Tavon Austin or Josh Boyce. Unfortunately we didn't get any of em.