1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Tannehill comin up on NFL live..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Dec 5, 2013.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'll keep you posted..should be riveting adult drama I know.

xphinfanx and SICK like this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    My toes are tingling!

(post updates I am at the office!)

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Quotes..

Confidence is building

Thinks the team has handled the adversity great.

Doesn't think mike will get cheered.

It would show our character of our team if we make playoffs he says.

We must win this game...he said it.

Biggest adjustment..adjusting to speed of the game....personally, that's what I thought was going on with him, that the game just hasn't slowed down yet, I have seen very recently some examples of that happening...here's the thing, playoff intensity is at another level..he must know this and be adjusted before the game starts.

He looked good..nice face..

Riveting...ok bye.

Boik14, Fin-Omenal and maynard like this.
  4. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    I think he's right.

While you're obviously not mathematically out of it with a loss, any momentum gained from the Jets win will be gone, and I think we need that momentum -- call it confidence and swagger -- to face and defeat the Patriots in the following game. Also, the Dolphins need to keep the pressure on the Ravens (and any team below them) to keep holding serve.

Lose, and we fall back to the pack and really need things to break our way... as well as facing the pressure of sustaining any loss and you're out. No, I don't think we want any part of that.

Win, and I think a lot of folks, including fans on this board, will start to (some begrudgingly) buy in. Win, and we can make that run.

mullingan likes this.
  5. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Also, Tannehill's last five or six games last year (notwithstanding the finale with the Patriots) were his best ones. He sort of started to click and play at a level he hadn't previously. Hopefully, we're seeing the start of that same trend right now (at a higher level than both the end of last year and the beginning of this year). Take the second half of the Jets game, build on it, and catch lightning in a bottle.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Suspect most forget he injured his knee v the Jest last yr and was pretty much nailed to the pocket for weeks afterwards, then he started playing at a good level

This yr, he's been healthy, but had the snot knocked out of him constantly until the last say 4 gms, since Incognito and Martin were bounced, and McKinnie/Garner/Brenner added

Seems like the entire offense is finally getting up to speed now

Finrunner and mullingan like this.
  7. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    well, ive been talking about winning three of four to get s to 9 and 7, we lose, it hurts big time, but they could comeback and beat pats at home and redeem themselves by winning the last three against their division rivals..i hear what your saying though..pitt is in a true must win.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think the biggest relevation from the jet game by everyone was the commitment to the run, I would love to see us run from the pistol and read option as well, throw everything possible at the steelers, make Tannehill one of your weapons, its fu)in go time man, no more stay in the pocket crap.

Canad-phin likes this.
  9. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I disagree with this. We are better long term with Ryan making plays and reads from the pocket. We might push through and slip into the playoffs by abandoning the principles of the offense we have, but we run the risk of having Ryan develop bad habits. The key to his future is his ability to make plays and reads from the pocket.

Boik14 and SICK like this.
  10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think that ryan has reached the point where he knows what they want from him from the pocket, I surely think the message has been sent to go thru his reads, all im asking for is a different look when it comes to the rungame, he's very successful when running out of that formation and makes good decisions, and I don't see consequences from doing it, could you tell me why last year he went 10/100 last year against a tough buffalo defense running the formation?

I can understand teaching him how not to tuck and run to early, but when it comes to winning one very important football game,and you know you've exploited other teams before successfully, why not put it into the gameplan, has being multidimensional gone out of style?

mullingan likes this.
  11. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    "He looked good. Nice face"

lolllllllll

djphinfan likes this.
  12. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    he also said yesterday that he has never played in snow conditions

RoninFin4 likes this.
  13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The weather is one of the reason why I'm trying to figure out a gameplan that keeps the ball safe, hence the read option.

14. Killer B's

Killer B's Junior Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Interesting. I wondered last year if the coaches have been drilling him not to run in order to learn pocket discipline. I look back at RG3 and Kaepernick's huge success their 1st year from pistol/option and basically what seemed like just a one read passing game. Then then this year trying/forced to be more pocket oriented but struggling with multiple reads. Still waiting to see RT's development play out into next year but just appears to me he struggles less with progression reads and reading defenses than the other two QB's. Any thoughts on this?

15. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I believe this is exactly what Joe Philbin believes as well. No question about it. Which to be honest....you kinda do have to give Tannehill a bit of credit here. The guy has taken some huge hits, and hes staying with how he is being coached, not breaking down and bailing.

I think the perfect examples are when he does his escape artist plays at the end of the Buffalo and Baltimore games. When its last play of the games, he doesnt have to worry about maintaining a pocket...or listening to coaching, at that point its keep the play alive and do what ever you have to do....

Thing is...when he has had those kind of moments...look at the passes he gets off. I think the athletic keeping a play alive ability is natural to him, the pocket passing isnt quite yet. But its getting much better. But...can you imagine when both are completely natural and second nature to him.

How anyone does not believe we have a special QB in the making is beyond me. To me its clear as day....

Boik14 and fin13 like this.
  16. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm worried the weather will give the Steelers the edge in this game. especially if we can't run the ball. I'm going to owe my boss -steelers fan - a lunch after we lose. At least I got 2 free burritos from the Jets fans this week. hopefully two more after next week as well.

17. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I think you have noticed the exact reason why the coaching staff does not want to incorporate Ryan's ability to run into the game plan. They want him to develop the feel for making multiple reads and making progression reads. In fact, probably the most important part of this offense is the quarterback's ability to make pre snap reads and know based on the concept and coverage, where the ball will go. I think once things slow down for him as far as his pocket reads go, his legs will only get more dangerous because he will use them more to extend plays than simply to run.

Unlike what RGIII's and CKap's staffs have done, Miami's staff has taken the approach to put Ryan into situations where he has to sink or swim with his pocket and reading ability, and honestly, I think we are seeing him make plenty of progress. At some point, there will be a time where everything will suddenly "click" with him, and at that point, you will see him take off.

18. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I was leaning on throwing the read option into our playbook more but you are dead on with what they are trying to teach him. The long term success of that will be better than the read option in the offense. I think we saw that more and more last week. The first half he made some second and third reads. Do you notice though on some of his 2nd and 3rd reads that he doesn't re-set his feet? Just uses arm instead of bouncing his feet into a throwing position. He did it a few times which wre completions but a bad habit.

djphinfan likes this.
  19. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    But if you throw in the read-option as part of the running game does it really detract from what they are trying to do with the passing game?

20. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    chad henne gives a better interview

Finrunner likes this.
  21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    it's a great question imo, one that I've been searching for answers anywhere I can find them...perplexing, fascinating, incomprehensible, awesome, genius, not genius.... I have no answer but this...I hope they did, and I hope it works.

And ftr, Kaepernick doesn't apply, it's his Game, and I would never take it away from him, folks like to rag on that boy, and I can't figure it out, he's a great Qb and will show once again that people continue to underestimate him because he can escape the pocket and make plays at an elite level..

I guess folks like to be wrong twice.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't believe it does..being multifaceted and attacking and making a defense think before they react imo can only help win the battle, but some will say that instead of running it, keep him in a traditional sense because it's better for him and the offense and not learn bad habits.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Reading that was very exciting..this would be a fascinating story imo....it does make sense...I hope it's true..and if it is, that some point it will suddenly click and both aspects of his game will start to look like harmony, all because the staff took a Methodical approach to training the position, I'm gonna nominate this post for one of the best posts of the year..

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It makes sense because I do feel and have expressed that the game hasn't slowed down for Ryan completely yet...starting to see a few signs that it is, which has coincided with Ryan taking off and anticipating his pocket outlets a bit more swiftly.

25. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Not possible, Chad Henne might be the most boring person ever born.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If you listen to our media Gus like agler, Stratford, sims, whoever, their making a very big deal out of the weather condition, it's freakin ridiculous how much their talking about it, it's not like it's going to be 0 degrees for cryin out loud, it's freakin 36 degrees dumasses, the body once warmed up won't even know the difference..it pisses me off because their constant reiteration will probably get into the players heads.

27. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm getting ready to freeze my *** off I just got tickets to the game I will be in frigid Pittsburgh watching the Phins

28. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

lol...

I live in Vermont...and the weather they are talking about is perfect football weather. Long as it doesnt rain....wont be an issue.

29. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Snow and 29 in Pitt Sunday

30. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    nope sorry. Here's an excerpt from one of Chad's interviews.
    [video=youtube;NcT2W93zJpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcT2W93zJpw[/video]

31. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    The thing that CKap and RGIII do that this coaching staff wouldn't have allowed here or don't want Ryan to develop is that they will bail the pocket at the first sign of distress/pressure. Neither one of those players have the feel for the pocket that Ryan Tannehill has and is developing, and a lot of that is because their coaches allowed them to bail out of the pocket at the first sign of pressure. Ryan has been coached to hang in there, and the goal of that IMO was to have him see the rush and feel the rush. As the year has gone on, you have seen improvement in his ability to move WITHIN the pocket to avoid the rush and even use his feet to extend plays.

Some have noted the improvement in the line recently, but that improvement can be just as easily attributed to the fact that over the past 4-5 weeks or so, Ryan has gotten a lot better at feeling the rush in the pocket. I think this kid is only scratching the surface of his potential right now as well.

Canad-phin and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  32. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Nice!

33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The question with CKap has always been how well can he make reads from the pocket. At UNR he rarely did it. His game was all about the read-option and throws that opened up off of that. This year when they kept him in the pocket (and his run game struggled), he struggled. RT was coming from the opposite side of the spectrum. He's far more advanced and practiced (relative to CKap despite RT's overall inexperience) at reading from the pocket. I can't say whether or not the coaches were telling him to stay in pocket, but it does seem logical that they would do so.

34. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I live in Niners country & that's what the coaches are doing to CKap. Trying to teach him to read the defense & make his progression but that isn't him.

I can understand why they are doing it cuz it would lift his game even more if he could do that but sadly that isn't him right now and its showing. If he can't run or his 1st option isn't open he really struggles. We all see that this yr.

I honestly think its a mistake but I'm not a coach. They honestly should let him do what he's best at. Lack of running has hurt him also. He isn't at the level where he can overcome a bad running game & shoulder the team by himself yet.

Now back to TH, I think the coaches made a smart decision. TH is way smarter than Clap & RG3. Once this slows down for him. He's gonna take it to the next lvl as you said. My only worry is if his body can take all the pounding or not.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    We can debate Rafs which strategy can get you to the promised land, I like the way Kaepernick plays the game, I think we can get caught up with certain aspects of the game, it can become to technical, I believe this Qb can get it done from being multifaceted, and I believe that Initself can be just as effective as being more skilled from the pocket..

I know you really liked Kaepernick when he was coming out of college, why would you want to take part of his game away in hope that he will become a better pocket passer?..that is the main question to me, now that I have posed that question, would I find fascinating about what KB has said in this thread is that there might be a way that defies that logic when it comes developing a dual threat Qb with the big picture in mind..

It all goes back to what we discussed this offseason, you kept telling me the lethargy I see in Ryan when it comes to escaping the pocket could be due to variables that were not in his control, for me I just wanted him to instinctively and swiftly do it..

Why I keep using superlatives when discussing this certain topic is because I believe the outcome of this topic determines a lot for this franchise and it's Qb, whether he has those instincts and quicks, or whether this whole time it has been premeditated and caculated..

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe Harbaugh had a strategy this season, and that was to lower the reps of Kaepernick during the regular season to protect him and to teach his what you said, all with the intent to unleash the full arsenal once the games mean something in relation to playoffs and once the playoffs begin..

I think you will see a higher number of read option reps once the games are must win.

37. VManis

Nov 10, 2010
    I've definitely noticed this but I feel it has a lot to do with McKinney. When Martin was at LT it seemed like he was always getting pushed back into the pocket even if he wasn't technically getting beat. McKinney doesn't get pushed back as much leaving Ryan more room to maneuver inside the pocket.

38. VManis

Nov 10, 2010

That may be true but I have a feeling defenses are catching up with the read option just like they did with the wildcat.

KB21 likes this.
  39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Nahh, it will continue to evolve...I used to debate that the wildcat would evolve..folks said no way..it's not about it staying but continuing to go to another dimension.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Jim Harbaugh..Pete Carroll..chip Kelly..all running their offense and having success running the formation..