1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Tannehill: 'I have to make a big jump'

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Apr 9, 2014.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Well maybe not such a big jump but he certainly needs to get the ball out of his hands more quickly to hit open receivers and he needs to get better in the deep game.After all the idea the idea behind signing Wallace was to stretch the field and get some chunk yardage .To me that will be his biggest test .His OL protection should be better so he will have no excuse if he doesnt produce .

There is more in this ESPN article.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/6721/ryan-tannehill-i-have-to-make-a-big-jump

2. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I'm still in his corner. Total of 51 games under his belt. New offense, better line, hopefully better backfield. It should be a good year, but at the same time I think our division is better too. Not going to be easy.

3. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I like the schedule against the NFC North and AFC West. We usually fare well against the AFC west and I'm looking forward to beating Pittsburgh again and improving our play against Tenn. I'm glad we didn't draw Baltimore again.
    Miami Home: Buffalo, New England, New York Jets, Kansas City, San Diego, Green Bay, Minnesota, Pittsburgh
    Away: Buffalo, New England, New York Jets, Denver, Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, Tennessee

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/12/nfls-full-l...tchups-include-patriots-broncos-49ers-saints/

I read the article and most of the comments that mostly bashed Walker the writer. Tannehill does need to continue to progress and use his intellect and athleticism more to succeed.

4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think getting him away from some of the coaching points that Mike Sherman "taught" him will help. So will a revamped O-line and running game.

All of that sounds nice, but it's easier said than done to put it together. I feel for Tannehill though. He comes into the league as a rookie starter, and his best receiver is Brian Hartline. His second year, the O-line gives up a franchise record in sacks and had several historically bad rushing performances. Makes you wonder what year three has in store.

GMJohnson likes this.
  5. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Needs to eliminate the boneheaded throws (besides interceptions, I'm talking about the plain misses) and he needs to get better working the middle of the field.

6. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He needs a red zone threat to throw to, a guy that snatches the football from the air like it belongs to him. Not sure if that's Keller coming back or someone in the draft but not one person in this roster gives me that vibe.

Hiruma78 likes this.
  7. He needs to make better reads
    better accuracy
    make his cantons less predictable

If he doesn't make a big jump I would draft another about in the next draft to sit behind him i his final year of his contract.

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yup. We should trade for Brandon Marshall

MAFishFan likes this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Odd, do like the pressure he is putting on himself, also think his development has been right on track.

From my pov, to many flier throws, ones where is not even close, happens to often, and poor deep anticipation to Wallace, where he can hit Bline on deep throws the difference is the route, a comeback or out vs a fly route, it is a different throw and target, that just takes time to develop for some guys.

I also think he was nailed in the pocket via Sherman last yr, made him think to much.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Can't be the only one here whose mind this image came across upon reading the Tannehill quote:

[​IMG]

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  11. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I like this if it means RT is putting in massive work to excel. But, I don't like the approach of Philbin and find the criticism of RT over the top.

1. RT had a terrible OL with zero effective running game. For a 2nd year QB with few starts under his belt at college or pro - that's a terrible combination.

2. His numbers in the end were not that bad, especially given #1 above. Nearly 4K yards; 60% of passes completed and 24 TDs. 17 INTs were a negative as was ypa, but his stats are not that far away from a really good year.

3. Coaching was problematic at all levels.

4. The team was completely dysfunctional (and most of that was on the OL).

I am not sure why Philbin let it out that RT's job is in trouble and that Moore could supplant him. I don't think a QB needs public pressure like that. The QB position is one that requires a lot of self-confidence and Philbin, while needing to tell RT that he needs to improve and demonstrating where he messed up and how to fix it (that's what coaches do), also needs to let RT know he's 100% behind him as the QB. Otherwise, Philbin is shooting himself, the team and RT in the foot all at once. If RT plays with the thought in the back of his head that if he doesn't get it done that he could be benched, he will not excel.

If Philbin thinks he can go into the season and succeed by putting doubts in the head of his QB that the HC is not sure he's worthy of starting - he's going to fail. That just doesn't work very well. Philbin should know better. If Tannehill doesn't know he's their guy they are going to live and die with this year, then the team will not succeed. Imo, Philbin has not contributed to a positive atmosphere at the QB position; he's brought on a more poisonous one.

That said, there are clearly areas RT needs to improve in and Philbin should give focus to teaching him in this area in the off-season - while maintaining confidence that Tannehill is their guy. I'm not an RT apologist because he does have to do better but it's as much on the GM/Coach/OC as it is on RT. Here are the key problems RT seems to show:

1) RT has to make a decision and throw the football. I think that he's probably afraid of throwing an INT. You certainly want to avoid TOs but the staff needs to help him know his reads and make the read and then release the football. He has a great release, it's a mental issue that causes him to hold on too much and double pump too often. And, a part of that falls on the coaching staff for not having him ready to play and giving him confidence to make the read and let it fly.

2) He has to throw the deep ball better. 7 of 33 on deep throws is not great but he's also just not throwing in rhythm and that is throwing him off on the timing. He has a good arm, just needs to read the D, and let it fly.

3) Pocket awareness is a problem. But, sometimes that is also a symptom of lacking confidence in the OL. If a QB has confidence in the OL - if he feels he can trust his teammates to do their job - then he will do his with much more confidence and make better decisions when something does break down.

Brasfin likes this.
  12. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    I'm not sure that the context of Philbin's quote regarding Moore is properly presented in your argument. Regardless, your statement that Tannehill cannot perform with thoughts in his head about his status and his back up are laughable.

13. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    [video=youtube;IrZvPYlfev0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrZvPYlfev0[/video]

Didn't see this posted anywhere, so I'm posting it here. Obviously this video only shows positive plays from Tannehill , but we see some glimpses of what he might be able to do if he can build on those types of plays. I especially love the plays versus Baltimore at 1:12, Buffalo at 1:28 and versus the Chargers at 1:41...
    there are some nice runs there too.
    Hopefully Lazor's offense focuses more on these types of plays where they can rely more on Tannehill's legs and take advantage of his skill set.

ps: so many of those plays where the pocket breaks down you can clearly see our tackles and sometimes guards (mostly Martin, Clabo and Jerry) getting beat badly... glad our OL is getting a much needed makeover.

MAFishFan, GMJohnson and ElNino like this.
  14. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    ^^ My heart gets pounding a little just watching old highlights - cmon fall!! That should-be TD pass Hartline dropped in the buffalo game - it's as ugly now as it was then.

15. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    There are five AFC QBs playing better than RT right now and four of them have 10+ years of experience. He's the least of my worries.

MAFishFan likes this.
  16. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    Agreed, and i'm not just saying that because i'm stuck with this username. RT was easily the best thing about our offense last year. Receivers, RBs, O-line...all need more improvement.