1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Tannehill keeps up with fellow rookies Andrew Luck, RG3

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by xphinfanx, Oct 10, 2012.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...es-andrew-luck-rg3?module=HP11_content_stream

He is sure getting noticed.

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    RGIII is(or was RIP) heads and tails above the other rookies.

I don't think there's any reason why Tannehill should be considered to be looking up at Luck in any fashion at this point.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  3. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    agreed, the main reason is the TD:INT ratio, imo

4. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    After watching all of the Redskin games, I'm not overly impressed with RGIII. Tons of bubble WR screens, read options, and designed runs (prior to this week). In short, it's hard to believe that the success there is sustainable.

I'm much more impressed with Luck as he's doing it in a more traditional sense as is Tannehill.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I concur, but I know that will only see people accusing me of bias since I wasn't a huge RGIII fan coming out.

Watching that offense run has given me an appreciation for:

A) Mike Shanahan's coaching prowess
    B) What a physical skill set like RGIII's can help you get away with in your play calling

Larry Little, ether79 and Eop05 like this.
  6. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Which part are you agreeing with? Either way, I think you're both overlooking Luck's performance this year.

One quarter into the Colts' season and he's already matched the number of wins by his team last year with a more or less identical offense and, perhaps, an even worse defense. They weren't easy wins, either; the Vikings are on the rebound and the Packers, while under-performing, must still be considered a top-10 team. The Jacksonville loss looks like an anomaly at this point.

He's thrown just as many TD's as Flacco and Cutler, and for more yards than Stafford, Roethlisberger, and Romo.

Griffin may be an ESPN darling and the star of many fantasy football-related wet dreams, but to say he's heads and tails above the other rookies? He only has 4 passing TDs in 5, and none since week 3. The rushing is a big factor, I get it, but look now; he's concussed. He doesn't slide, and he's taking a bunch of hits. If you're going to factor rushing into who is the best rookie quarterback, then the durability goes with it.

And don't look too much into TD:INT ratio or QB Rating. Alex Smith leads the league in both of those. If you'd like to make your case that he is the best quarterback in the league, you can do so with someone else.

Anyway, I think the rookies should be rated as follows:

Luck
    Griffin
    Tannehill
    Wilson
    Weeden

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Someone actually had a great article about McNabb, Vick, Cam and RGIII, and how the "running QB" in today's NFL just wasn't sustainable. The post itself was more tongue-in-cheek, but it raised a fair and interesting point. Basically, the author noted that having the ability to run was as much of a curse as it was a blessing.

Eop05 and Hurricane like this.
  8. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I couldn't agree more.

9. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I think all five rookie QB's have been fairly decent so far.
    -Luck is as good as advertised and is probably the most talented of the group
    -Griffin is looking like a pro bowler already but he'll have a short career taking shots like the one he did last week.
    -Tannehill has been very good..
    -Weeden has shown the talent that got him drafted in the first round as well, but Cleveland hasn't been able to win a game.
    -Wilson in my opinion has been the least impressive but he's a playmaker and you can't deny that.

10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    All five will be linked throughout their careers.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Luck is elite...already..

12. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indeed. RG III is going to get himself killed if he keeps his current style, but it's his style that puts him ahead of Luck and Tannehill.

13. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Would I rather have Luck? Yes. Would I rather have RGIII? Not sure. Am I happy we drafted Tannehill? Absolutely.

14. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andrew Luck is in a league of his own...He looks great already.

15. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Just curious how many yards do you think Luck will pass for this season? 3600?

Luck is at 1,208

Tannehill is at 1,269

but Luck has thrown 7 td passes.

Both are on a run for just under 4000 yds

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    he's throwing a lot over there, and they have no run game, so that seems about right.

xphinfanx likes this.
  17. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    To be fair, Luck has only played 4 games, not 5. And doing the math, both are on pace to pass for more than 4,000 yards. ;)

xphinfanx likes this.
  18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Apropos of nothing, I feel like we may see Ricki Stanzi showing us something in KC before the end of this season.

Not a rookie, but he would be a first-time starter.

And he'd be the worst of this bunch being discussed. Still, I think he can play.

19. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    can't agree with that statement at all. take a look at the actual types of passes that RGIII is throwing, not as impressive as either Luck or Tannehill.
    I'd rank RGIII ahead of Weeden right now and that's about it. RGIII gets more hype because Shanahan is playing to his strengths. sooner or later, defenses will force him to start throwing the ball downfield more. if he adapts and still plays well, then I'll believe you.