Ryan Tannehill

11318 replies

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Dec 8, 2019, 09:24 PM

Stats and overthinking. I’ll check back next week.

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

The GuyThe GuyForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:26 PM

"Pauly wrote:

Many of us here complained that Philbin and Gase tried to pound a square peg into a round hole with the way they treated Tannehill. i.e. trying to force him to be the type of QB that fit their schemes rather than changing their schemes to fit Tannehill’s talent set. What I know about Mariota you can write on the back of a postage stamp with a crayon, but it is possible he is the square peg and Tannehill the round peg in Vrabel’s scheme.

"cbrad wrote:

Maybe Vrabel and Tannehill are just really good "fits" that you can't easily predict. That is, there's no innovative coaching you need to hypothesize, just that those two work really well together and complement each other.

Simple example of how that can work from academia: some students fail in a laissez-faire management style where you make it clear what needs to be accomplished but leave it up to them to figure out how, but succeed in a highly structured environment where they are told step by step how to do things, while other students fail in the structured environment but succeed when you let them learn how to solve problems on their own. It might be hard to predict that until the person is in that (new) environment.

So I wouldn't necessarily discount coaching having a huge influence here just because Tannehill and Mariota have been similar statistically. You're right it's a low probability event, but what we're seeing is a low probability event (by my previous post 0.38% probability).

OK I can get on board with that. I thought the implication was that they were running a kind of system that would elevate the play of any quarterback, and that Tannehill is simply reaping the benefits of that kind of ingenuity. My apologies to you Fin D if I misunderstood the angle you were taking on it.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:27 PM

"The Guy wrote:

What I'm saying is that the pizza the Titans' current coaches can make probably can't vary to the degree that it explains how much more Tannehill eats the pizza than Mariota, when historically they've eaten about the same amount of pizza across a number of coaches.

For coaching to fully account for the available data, the 2019 Titans' coaches would have to be doing the equivalent of what Bill Walsh did in the early 1980s -- something so innovative and unique that it explains the extremity of the difference in Tannehill's performance, in comparison to his own historically and to Mariota's earlier this year.

What are the odds of that? High or low? All I'm saying is that they're low.

But Tannehill had been eating pizza made by other coaches... Maybe Gase made mushroom and anchovy pizzas, and Tannehill struggled to choke that garbage down. Maybe Vrabel is making a Hawaiian pizza, and maybe that's Tannehill's favorite, cause he's a weirdo, so he's gobbling it up. But maybe Mariota really liked sausage and onion pizza, so he was struggling to eat Vrable's Hawaiian pizza.

Just one way your pizza example isn't making sense.

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Dec 8, 2019, 09:30 PM

Then there's this (which also wouldn't line up with previous eras...but fun to see) -

- Tannehill joins Aaron Rodgers as the only QBs in history to complete 75% of their passes and earn a rating over 130 for 3 straight games.
- Tannehill joins Russell Wilson as the only QBs in history to throw for 2 TDs and earn a rating over 125 for 4 straight games.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:30 PM

I want to see the Titans make the playoffs just so we can see Tannehill play in a playoff game for once..

CBcbradForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:30 PM

I think I'm going to eat some pizza (seriously).

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:35 PM

"The Guy wrote:

What I'm saying is that the pizza the Titans' current coaches can make probably can't vary to the degree that it explains how much more Tannehill eats the pizza than Mariota, when historically they've eaten about the same amount of pizza across a number of coaches.

For coaching to fully account for the available data, the 2019 Titans' coaches would have to be doing the equivalent of what Bill Walsh did in the early 1980s -- something so innovative and unique that it explains the extremity of the difference in Tannehill's performance, in comparison to his own historically and to Mariota's earlier this year.

What are the odds of that? High or low? All I'm saying is that they're low.

You’re arguing for the sake of arguing. Just admit it, Tannehill is a damned great quarterback and you...and all of the other Tannehill haters were wrong about him.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:37 PM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

I want to see the Titans make the playoffs just so we can see Tannehill play in a playoff game for once..

Well trust me when I tell you Tennessee is making the playoffs.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:38 PM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

You’re arguing for the sake of arguing. Just admit it, Tannehill is a damned great quarterback and you...and all of the other Tannehill haters were wrong about him.

We should relaxxxx on this stuff...lol. We've ALL seen QBs come out of nowhere and have a great year...like Jon Kitna that one season. But I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of a stretch of seasons for Tannehill playing at a very high level.

The GuyThe GuyForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:40 PM

"resnor wrote:

But Tannehill had been eating pizza made by other coaches... Maybe Gase made mushroom and anchovy pizzas, and Tannehill struggled to choke that garbage down. Maybe Vrabel is making a Hawaiian pizza, and maybe that's Tannehill's favorite, cause he's a weirdo, so he's gobbling it up. But maybe Mariota really liked sausage and onion pizza, so he was struggling to eat Vrable's Hawaiian pizza.

Just one way your pizza example isn't making sense.

That makes sense, and I'll add only that the current situation reflects the quality of their coaching/personnel selection if they acquired Tannehill because of his fit with their system. If they didn't do that, they could be just as inadequate as the Dolphins' past coaches perhaps were with regard to Tannehill, and be experiencing only dumb luck with regard to his fit/performance in their system.

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:47 PM

"resnor wrote:

We should relaxxxx on this stuff...lol. We've ALL seen QBs come out of nowhere and have a great year...like Jon Kitna that one season. But I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of a stretch of seasons for Tannehill playing at a very high level.

It’s going to be. Tennessee is going to be the new team to fear in the AFC. I’ve said for years offensively, you have to have...

A solid offensive line...check
A strong running game...check
A solid defense...check
A good quarterback...check

Barring anything catastrophic, the AFC South belongs to Tennessee for the next few years...and Tannehill was the missing piece the Titan’s offense needed...a damned good quarterback.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

inFINSibleinFINSibleForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:52 PM

"PhinFan1968 wrote:

He don't have a queasy coach...that's for sure.

I seriously think Philbin never got over the fact that he was a WR trying to play QB. Handcuffed him severely. Made him timid. Gase had to deal with the after effects of that, where TH was always wanting to get the ball out safely. That led to the short passes and screen calls.
Neither coach just let the man play to his strengths....one of his biggest being his accuracy throwing on the run. I'll never figure out why no one saw that and used it. It was literally in his scouting report coming out of college. That trait to me indicates somebody who likes to sling it from something other than a standard throwing base, yet over and over again they made him stand still and throw the ball.
Now, it seems they're just turn him loose and saying get us some yards and he's playing loose and comfortable because he can play the way he wants to play.
He went to Tennessee as QB and that's what they accepted him as, here, I don't think he ever really got accepted as anything other than a WR trying to play QB.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 09:55 PM

"resnor wrote:

We should relaxxxx on this stuff...lol. We've ALL seen QBs come out of nowhere and have a great year...like Jon Kitna that one season. But I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of a stretch of seasons for Tannehill playing at a very high level.

Yeah, Kitna and Tannehill are comparable. lol

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Dec 8, 2019, 10:00 PM

Last thing I'll say about today's game for Tannehill.

Did you guys see his last TD? Where he was rolling to his right, threw across his body all the way to the left side of the endzone, and hit the dude right in the hands? I mean...….

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 10:03 PM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

Yeah, Kitna and Tannehill are comparable. lol

Just saying there are plenty of examples. I'm one of the biggest Tannehill guys on here, so clearly I don't think he's Jon Kitna.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 10:06 PM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

Yeah, Kitna and Tannehill are comparable. lol

Kitna had a pretty good career.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 10:09 PM

Just looked at the remaining schedule...

Tennessee; Houston, NO, Houston
Houston; Tennessee, TB, Tenn
Pittsburgh; Buff, NYJ, Baltimore

if Tennessee wins 2 of their last 3, they’re in because...Pittsburgh is going to lose to Buffalo and Baltimore.

if Tennessee sweeps Houston, They win the AFC South and Houston will miss the playoffs

if

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

CBcbradForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 10:18 PM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

It’s going to be. Tennessee is going to be the new team to fear in the AFC. I’ve said for years offensively, you have to have...

A solid offensive line...check
A strong running game...check
A solid defense...check
A good quarterback...check

Barring anything catastrophic, the AFC South belongs to Tennessee for the next few years...and Tannehill was the missing piece the Titan’s offense needed...a damned good quarterback.

We'll see. I think Houston will be more successful.

You know there's another team that checks all those boxes yet hasn't had the predicted success: Dallas. In fact they designed their team to have a strong OL with a great RB and good QB and WR's, as well as a decent defense. That team on paper is quite impressive, yet they fail in the playoffs. And that's the question: in the playoffs is an all round solid team really better than one with an elite QB but with holes elsewhere? I actually think the answer is no, but we'll find out.

So we should keep track of teams like the Titans, Cowboys and 49ers (your solid all round teams) vs. teams like KC, Houston and Seattle with an elite QB (meaning year after year elite). I predict the latter group will have more success in the playoffs, but we'll see.

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Dec 8, 2019, 10:35 PM

"cbrad wrote:

We'll see. I think Houston will be more successful.

You know there's another team that checks all those boxes yet hasn't had the predicted success: Dallas. In fact they designed their team to have a strong OL with a great RB and good QB and WR's, as well as a decent defense. That team on paper is quite impressive, yet they fail in the playoffs. And that's the question: in the playoffs is an all round solid team really better than one with an elite QB but with holes elsewhere? I actually think the answer is no, but we'll find out.

So we should keep track of teams like the Titans, Cowboys and 49ers (your solid all round teams) vs. teams like KC, Houston and Seattle with an elite QB (meaning year after year elite). I predict the latter group will have more success in the playoffs, but we'll see.

Predictably, ya. But that's why they play the games. #6 Seed Giants had NO business even making it TO the Super Bowl...no less beating New England.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 11:04 PM

Off topic...but my Facebook feed is priceless right now. So many Patriot fans in complete meltdown mode right now. They're so used to winning everything, that they can't comprehend that they lost today because they're offense only has Edelman. I can't wait for the first season they go 9-7 or worse. All NE is gonna be on suicide watch.

Dolphin DundeeDolphin DundeeForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 11:10 PM

"PhinFan1968 wrote:

Predictably, ya. But that's why they play the games. #6 Seed Giants had NO business even making it TO the Super Bowl...no less beating New England.

Same thing with these damn fantasy projections! Jack Doyle was #1! Anyway i think it's wise to wait and see Tannehill in the playoffs before the i told you so's..

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 11:14 PM

"resnor wrote:

Off topic...but my Facebook feed is priceless right now. So many Patriot fans in complete meltdown mode right now. They're so used to winning everything, that they can't comprehend that they lost today because they're offense only has Edelman. I can't wait for the first season they go 9-7 or worse. All NE is gonna be on suicide watch.

Nice to see some calls going against them

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 11:16 PM

"The Guy wrote:

What I'm saying is that the pizza the Titans' current coaches can make probably can't vary to the degree that it explains how much more Tannehill eats the pizza than Mariota, when historically they've eaten about the same amount of pizza across a number of coaches.

For coaching to fully account for the available data, the 2019 Titans' coaches would have to be doing the equivalent of what Bill Walsh did in the early 1980s -- something so innovative and unique that it explains the extremity of the difference in Tannehill's performance, in comparison to his own historically and to Mariota's earlier this year.

What are the odds of that? High or low? All I'm saying is that they're low.

EDIT: Ok, no harm.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Dec 8, 2019, 11:16 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Nice to see some calls going against them

They also had the garbage Kelce offensive pi call to extend a drive in the 4th, so they got some their way, too.

Puka-headPuka-headSupporter
Dec 9, 2019, 01:25 AM

I'm just going to say again what I have said since the beginning. 3 QBs drafted in the 1st rd. Tannehill is going to have the best career. Better than Luck, Already better than RG3. Arguably better than Luck already. If not for Wilson Tannehill is the best QB drafted that year.

That said, he's the Titans QB now. Who cares?