1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sabans 2006 Comments on Jason Allen and Ngata

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jackson, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-doldraftst06,0,7726852.story

"Saban said the Dolphins declined the chance to trade down from No. 16 because he didn't receive an attractive enough offer to risk losing Allen. Saban said he contemplated trading up to select Oregon defensive tackle Haloti Ngata but ultimately decided the asking price of a third-round draft choice was too costly."

For the first time since he was Drafted, Allen has started to show the type of player he can be. Knowing what we know now, does a third round pick still seem to steep to have Ngata a fin right now instead of Allen?

jdang307 likes this.
  2. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I like Jason Allen I think he will be good this year

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wouldn't Ngata be a perfect fit for nose in the 34? If so, I would take him over JA but we do have JA and I am happy.

4. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Would you rather have Ngata or Allen and Hagan is essentially the choice.

PhinsRock and MelbournePhin like this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ngata if he is a perfect fit for the 34.

emocomputerjock likes this.
  6. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    Ngata.. Allen looked to be headed for Bustville until the end of last season and Hagan is Mr. StoneHands..

7. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Allen came on late last year, but still made his fair share of mistakes while doing so. Ngata, on the other hand, dominated at times in that New England Monday night game. I'd take the young dominant DT/NT type anyday.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I woulda traded down a few spots and took that drastic "risk"....selected Cromartie and picked up another first day pick.

9. Baxter

Baxter Premium Member Luxury Box

Im bias as a Vols fan... but Allen really stepped up last year I really hope he reaches his potential.

10. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    Heck, we should have just drafted Cromartie with our original pick! I saw several mocks with us taking him there..

11. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    right now i would rather have ngata over allen and hagan. but allen has a bright future. he really ended the season well....i hope he keeps it up, im a big fan/supporter

12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Who was looking to trade up exactly? I hate when people say, "I would have traded down," as if you can magically will it to happen.

13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

Ummm did you read the first line of the thread??

"Saban said the Dolphins declined the chance to trade down from No. 16 because he didn't receive an attractive enough offer to risk losing Allen."

Sounds like "someone" was trying to get to 16.....

Thats ok I forgive you.

14. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX

You also said that you would have traded down a "few spots and selected Cromartie and picked up another first day pick."

Who says anyone was offering a first day pick?

And if we would have traded lower than 19, we wouldn't have been able to get Cromartie anyways. So your scenario doesn't really work. (this is what I origonally meant)

You are right though, someone did make an offer for 16 (according to Saban), so I was wrong when I miswrote what I was trying to say in my statement. Doesn't make the offer(s) on the table (a) good offer(s) though.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  15. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

In hindsight Ngata, but we've got Allen so I'm supporting him all the way. See no value in what ifs, we've got who we've got, I'll keep my focus on them.

16. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    I wanted Ngata then and want him now, he is a phenominally talented player. The Ravens even play him at D-end at times! Jason Allen looked good last year though, I'm happy enough with the pick.