1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sacks: who's to blame?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Nov 21, 2013.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

http://www.reddit.com/r/miamidolphi...s_whos_to_blame_the_offensive_line_tannehill/

I think:

• struggling under pressure is something a 2nd year QB can be expected to do.

• the twice as many interceptions as touchdowns is concerning because he is a year experienced at this point, but it may be defenses have had a whole year to have the "Ryan Tannehill experience", so they know the way he plays and can key on him better. I don't know if it's him, or the line, or the opposing team, or coaching or all.

• apparently, he needs to throw the ball away more :lol:

• the attempting to scramble is concerning because we all know he can scramble. I've heard many opposing teams' fans come up to me and tell me that they were "Surprised Tannehill was that athletic". We're not as Dolphins fans. We know he's athletic. The question becomes why is he not scrambling? Is it him not believing he can scramble through the holes in the protection? Is he being coached to not scramble so he keeps his health? Is it something else that I have no idea about? I'm not sure.

• The link goes on to say that the tackles are the larger problem, but that McKinnie has played reasonably well, and that the interior three are playing well (according to statistics, which admittedly only say so much and can be skewed).

• My biggest thoughts are: what can we do to improve this now (if anything at all, which I think at this point we're stuck with what we have), and what can we do in the off-season? Do we need coaching changes? Do we need to draft another QB "just in case"? Do we need to draft a few tackles? Some of these questions are rhetorical.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's basically a combination of him, the coaching staff, and the quality of the offensive line players.

The biggest issue in my mind is the coaching. A lot more could be done to mitigate the circumstances, and it's not being done like it should. The offensive line isn't good, but it isn't as bad as it looks. I think Tannehill is the least of the issues, because I think he's being coached to do some of the things that are problematic.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I blame jeff ireland. He's had five years to build one and failed other than year one.

Ludacris and maynard like this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think it's a perfect storm AG, you have a poor protecting line, a Qb that isn't as deft at scrambling as his wide receiver athleticism would indicate, and a coaching staff that is obsessed with their timing based offense..however, the Qb has to recognize where his pocket outlets are much faster and learn when to gtfo.

5. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    This. A lot of blame to go around, from QB to coaching to OL.

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    What I'm having a hard time believing is this notion that Tannehill is being trained not to escape the pocket, I mean Philbin and Sherman watched and coached Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers..there has to be a point where the Qb know where that line is..I would guess that Ryan has run for about 5 first downs this year, averaging 10 yards rushing per game, of course I believe there is more yards to be had, but for me it's just about getting out of the pocket when you recognize, then keeping your eyes downfield..Look at Aaron Rodgers, he averages about 17 yards a game, but one might think he runs more, he doesn't, he exits the pocket more without crossing the line..

We have to hope that this dude can learn these Intricate details of the position thru experience and work ethic, cause were not seeing it instinctively..

7. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I think he needs to run more instead of hoping someone gets open, I think he needs to be more confident also. I think his OL is horrible and his WRs don't fight for the ball enough.

It's one big shnit storm.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    we have a chance to get better O, there are some encouraging signs, were right there for a playoff spot, we've achieved a 500 record after 10 games and if somehow we can get this win vrs Carolina, we are the favorites to get in the playoffs..

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    That's the point.

Despite all these imperfections and surrounding drama, this team still has time to make the corrections necessary to field a dangerous offense.

One Sunday afternoon it's all going to come together for them, and it's gonna be fun to watch.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Tannehills experience kicking in in the last half of his 2nd season..there's hope that the game might slow a bit..

Charles Clay is on the cusp.

Rishard Matthews is a studly strong slot receiver with great hands.

Daniel Tomas running with a violent nature.

Using Lamar miller more effectively..

The weakest link on the team not playing anymore in Jon Martin....bonus.

Patterson seems like he might be healthy.

New defenders getting more comfortable in the scheme.

Dion Jordan getting more reps..

Kracken returning to full health.

Egnew playing better.

Vern playing well..

eltos_lightfoot, anlgp and Fin-Omenal like this.