1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety Ryan Clark talks about the Miami negotiations

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Muck, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    His agent said it wasn't about money.

But Clark confirmed today that it was, indeed, about the money.

His side of the story is.....they weren't close in negotiations. He doesn't feel the Dolphins offered him starter money, which is interesting because his agent make a big deal Monday night that the Dolphins offered him more than Pittsburgh did.

So the Dolphins offered critiques of his game to backup their position. But this is what's curious to me.

How do they not 'know' this guy? They've seen the film. They've done background work. They know his reputation. And part of these visits is to 'get to know' the player.

Did they not 'know' Karlos Dansby?

I understand you can't know everything about a guy until you actually have him. But Clark's words just paint an odd picture.

He says Mike Tomlin called him in his hotel room and showed him the love.

I would love to hear the Dolphins side of this.

There are more quotes from Clark in the link below.

http://community.kdvr.com/_Ryan-Cla...ign-with-the-Dolphins/BLOG/1960721/96399.html

2. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Probably time for him to shut up now. He got his wish and that was to stay in Pittsburgh. He is trying to save face now. We offered him what he is worth, and thats it. He cant accept it.

3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    never gonna' happen :up:

4. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I think he was using Miami to get what he wanted in Pittsburgh and accomplished that. He may have signed with Miami if they offered him a record setting deal but that wasn't going to happen. He probably felt Dansby received a record setting contract and he felt he deserved one too. They did say Miami offered him more money than Pittsburgh, so wheres the problem with Miami's handling of the negotiations and whats his real excuse?

5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    This wouldnt be a problem if Jason Allen could just be an average player. Not to beat a dead horse, but gees.

6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This whole situation is weird.

The Dolphins obviously offered him fair (if not more than fair) market value for his services. You don't overpay for a 30 year old safety with health concerns.

It appears that Clark was butt-hurt by Miami's offer, and opted for the hometown discount instead. If that's the case, I don't really blame him. I, myself, have turned down jobs because they only offered slightly more than I was making and didn't feel it was worth a transistion.

cobrajet likes this.
  7. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    JA is a better corner than he is a safety.
    stepped in and played fairly well last season when Davis was hurt

8. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010

I think "Butt-hurt" is a great term for Clark. We hurt his feelings along with his payroll expectations.

9. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    I think the front office "knew" him. I just think that it came down to what each party felt was fair market value. The front office wasn't willing to pay what Clark and his agent felt was fair, but left open the opportunity that if he exceeded his expected performance (i.e., what they knew), then he could be rewarded closer to what Clark was expecting this time around. In an ironic twist, it appears that Miami's fair market value assessment was pretty darn good if Clark indeed decided to take less money to stay in Pittsburgh.

10. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I agree with this.

He cited not wanting to uproot his family and such the other night. No reason to do that for a lateral move.

You just wish he'd be honest and say that. That it was going to take a big payday to get him to move (he did allude to it with the 'open mind' comment).

He did say that it was disappointing because he went there with other ideas (price) planted in his head. But it's clear that Miami was at fair market value.

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Im not sure I would want a player who didnt want to "prove himself to Tony Sparano" anyway.

Him and his crappy *** attitude can stay in Pittsburgh.

12. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    It was an exceptionally bad choice of words. Prove yourself to an employer? Whoever heard of doing that?

Fin-Omenal and dolfan7171 like this.
  13. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Why should we trust anything he and his agent say?

14. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    1. I'm glad he's not a Dolphin if he feels he has nothing to prove.

2. He was just using Miami as leverage to get more from Pittsburgh. If he was pissed that Miami wouldn't pay him more, then why sign with Pittsburgh for less than that? Doesn't that mean the Steelers are even less sold on Clark than Miami is? This guy is a douche bag. I'm glad he isn't a Dolphin.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  15. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    I don't understand players like Clark and Porter. In the good old days they were just happy to be playing, now everything has to be done on their terms. The egos on these guys is god like.

cobrajet likes this.
  16. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/11/1524571/how-did-miami-dolphins-lose-out.html

17. Vaark

Vaark Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium

Mar 26, 2008
    He's a douche who in local Pburgh interviews stated unequivocally that he was being forced out of Pittsburgh, that he wanted to stay, ditto his wife and even his neighbors. When our FO factually enumerated his strengths and shortcomings and had the nerve to tell him he'd be competing for the starting job, he was beyotch slapped by a dose of reality that as far as the league was concerned, he didn't qualify for a FS's equavalent of Dansby money. At that point, The Steelers obviously reconsidered resigning him, despite his less-than-stellar performance during Palumalu's absence. Obviously, they took a look at the FS marketplace in context to their tight pursestrings and decided that "the devil you know is safer than the one you don't."

Clark's spewing this conflicting, inconsistent BS in an attempt to rehabilitate his image with the fans who he criticized as being harsher than in most other cities, and the media who he called "turds" during their run of 5 losses. So obviously as spleenless as he is, this sensitive guy is also as thin-skinned.

In hindsight, we definitely need a good FS, hopefully one who's not a stop gap; even if it comes down to giving up a little on the hitting/tackling aspect for one who can cover and intercept, we're better off not having signed him IMO.

GISH likes this.
  18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Sharp would be a good deal for Miami
    sign him to a two year contract
    let him mentor the newbies as he plays
    need experience to shape a young team
    as well as talent to compete in 2010

would give us Ricky & Pennington on offense w/ Ferguson, Taylor & Sharp on defense, nice mix

19. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    He used us as leverage. He had no intention of signing with us. Why can't he just admit it?

20. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    I'm personally guessing pride.