saints fan here

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by saints4life, Oct 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. saints4life

saints4life New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    thanks fellas for all of yalls welcomes. I love to discus football with opposing team fans to get different points of view on the game. Please visit our board saintsreport.com. I agree that your best chance to beat us is to keep our offense off the field, and pressure Brees. I'm curious to see how we'll defend the wildcat, which is why after thinking through everything, makes me a bit uneasy. I rewatched the game vs the jets. Their d is ovverated, and I feel as if your team can pound the ball. Should be a good game, so I'm going to change my prediction to 28-24, I don't think our offense will get as many oppertunities, because of the constant running by your team.

2. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I look forward to checking out your fans site too. I think it will be a great game for all of us fans. The wildcat could do wonders and your offense could rip our secondary apart.

All of us could be in for a slug fest. I just think Miami will edge it out 28-24 :lol:

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Welcome: 24/27- Miami:dolphin:

4. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I checked out the saintsreport site. They were nice to the dolphin posters but this made me laugh...
    -OP by David Robbins
    "Saints - 38
    Dolphins - 10

We'll shut down the Wild Cat. The pass does'nt scare us with henne at QB. "

all i can say is, that poster doesn't really know much about this year's wildcat, let alone a team that has never faced it. Good luck stopping it.

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    We must protect this house!!!!!!!

TiP54, late again and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    re: Wildcat - Philly ran it on 'em in week 2 or 3.

7. Saints

Saints New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    At what point in the game does Miami really run the wild cat? I'm sure I'll get the answer that you run it any time and all the time but that is not what I am asking. I am curious if anybody has a statistical analysis of when that formation is run. I'm sure if somebody breaks it down, which I have no desire to, there will be trends. It was run x amount of times on the opening drive, it has been 65% of the time in the 2nd half, etc.

I ask b/c I think for the wildcat to be as effective as it has been Mia's defense will need to have some key stops early. I think once/if NO takes a 2 score lead in the 2nd half the Saints will turn into a ball control team. Allowing Mia to be fairly successful out of the wildcat while eating the clock. In turn the Saints will start putting together 7+ minute drives which Payton and Brees can be very successful doing.

Again, I'm really just interested if anybody has any real data on it.

8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    They are going to allow Henne to get into a rhythm before you see it.

9. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    There actually is a poster here who is working on a spreadsheet with some wildcat numbers, he managed to put one together based on last year's numbers, You should send Gish a PM.

10. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Well, as the above poster, jeffrey already stated, what has been happening with Henne starting is they've been basically passing to set up the WC. Once Henne completed some passes the defense can't camp everyone out at the line of scrimmage. That's when we've switched to the WC or even a more conventional rushing attack.

11. Saint Greg

Saint Greg Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    So we won't see the wildcat?
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    You're funny.

13. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    In spite of the Saints' fairly impressive 12 scks and 11 INTs; they're still ranked 15 against the pass, and giving up 217 yds a game.
    Truth be told the Bills pass defense is much better than the Saints and we still managed to hang 38 points on them. Henne stood up to a strong pass rush that has accumulated 14 scks and 10 INTs. So you ought to give credit where credit is due.
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/nfl/statistics/teams/

14. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    Ok, so im not discounting what the Saints have done thus far. But let me look at who they've played so far.

Lions-They scored 27 points against you guys! Thats as bad as a loss.
    Eagles- the even lost to the Raiders, nuff said.
    Bills- Closer than the score says
    Jets- Meltdown began
    Giants- a legit beatdown

Ok, so besides the Giants beatdown. Its not like we're dealing with a juggernaut here. Honestly, you are due a loss at some point. Have you faced a running game like ours in those opponents? How about a pass rush? I just dont see how we're in such big trouble here. Im not afraid.

PS- i know completely nothing about football, feel free to squash this post if you want. I just like being positive. HAHA

late again likes this.
  15. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    We certainly didn't pass well against the Bills, though.

How do you rate a pass defense, anyway? Yards allowed are not a good way. If a team is always in front (like the Saints) their opponents are going to throw a lot. So opponents will rack up a fair amount of yards even if the Saints passing defense is very good.

It would make more sense to calculate a "rating allowed" by the defense.

16. Saint Greg

Jan 2, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Teams get alot of garbage passing yards when you get three 40 burgers in five games.
    Posted via Mobile Device

17. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Why should a defense play safe at any point in the game? No defense likes to give up free yards I'd bet on it (and I don't bet).

late again likes this.
  18. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Henne completed 63.6% of his passes 14/22, 115 yds, 1 TD 0 INTs. I would call that a nice day; especially considering we ran for over 200 yds.
    As to how to rate a pass defense. Since you seemingly disagree with these rankings, tell me how you would go about determining a methodology for ranking pass defenses. At some point you have to use measurables. Otherwise all you are left with is opinion.
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

19. Saint Greg

Jan 2, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Well it's obvious you didn't watch the lions game or even checkout the boxscore and wonder how they got 27pts on 230 total yards. It's not like their offense walked all over our d. In my first post I mentioned we had issues in a couple games covering kicks. This was one of them. The lions O had a 10-15 yard field twice thanks to special teams issues. That was 10 PTs. Mike bell spotted them 7 more on a fumble return. I'd say their O earned 10pts. They had one nice drive that got 3 and a 65 yd rec by Johnson that led to 7.

One bad game doesn't make a team bad. The eagles are good. Horrible playcalling passing 46 times in a 13-6 game vs oak. Westy averaged 9 yards per carry but only got the ball 6 times on the ground. Dumb.

I liked the bills and jets games. Those proved we could win games running the ball and playing defense. They proved this is a cplete team.

The giants have a darn good front four and barely touched brees. Drew has been sacked 17 times in the past 21 games so good luck with that. He's a tough one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

20. Saint Greg

Jan 2, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Watch the 4th qtr of the eagles game. We've given up roughly 1000 yds passing this season. Kolb has 400 of them. And the majority of those came in their last two drives when we gave them all the short passes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

21. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Holy Crap... Who let Saint Greg in here

This isnt the Managers league :shifty:

J/K :tongue2:

22. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I think it's safe to say that the rankings for the Jets and Bills are legit. Their opponents have had no reason to be throwing for "garbage" passing yards. With this in mind, my point still stands. Henne played quite well against both of these teams' pass defenses.
    If your argument is that the Saints' pass defense is better then I'm open to reading anything that will show this to be true. No sarcasm, either.
    As I already stated, at some point you have to use measurables if you're going to rank teams.

23. anlgp

I'm aware of the 'how'. I saw that game.

I asked 'why'?

Why would a defense 'give' yards?

24. Saint Greg

Jan 2, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Well see when teams are up by alot of points, they sometimes use something called a prevent defense. It's basically saying I'll give you a bunch of 5-10 yard gains and let you run the clock. But I won't let you get the quick score you need. Prevent. The saints will give a more detailed tutorial on Sunday.
    Posted via Mobile Device

25. anlgp

:lol: I know what a prevent defense is.

I still say regardless of them being in prevent they don't like to give up yards.

26. Saint Greg

Jan 2, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Ha. don't play my team and you won't see me till after the season. Speaking of the gm league...I'm going to have some good trade bait next year. Did you see what mike bell was doing? Have you seen bushrod playing lt in place of brown? Have you seen our secondary? And Malcolm Jenkins has only played special teams so far
    Posted via Mobile Device

27. Saint Greg

Jan 2, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Ever coached a game? The coach just wants to win. You don't like to give up PTs either bit we gave one team a safety because it made sense when it came to field position.
    Posted via Mobile Device

28. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    saintsreport.com is a great site if you want to talk about the game. There fans are cool. Brother anlgp has been over there before me.:up:

Saint Greg likes this.
  29. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Hey, Saint Greg. I normally root for anything from Nawlins. Can't this time, although I wish the city all the best in rebuilding as well as the team has been rebuilt. Hope to see you and lots of other good Saints fans any one of those wild nights on Bourbon, and hope the game is a shootout with the lead changing hands ten times and Miami wins it by a last second field goal.,

Saint Greg likes this.
  30. Saint Greg

Jan 2, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Same here. I'm a canes fan. Dolphins have always been my AFC team. I had a Marino poster on my wall as a kid. New Orleans would love to have you visit. When you do come, let me know. I'll help you out with getting a 4 star hotel downtown on the cheap. I'm an out of town season ticket holder. Always 4 star a block or two from bourbon. 75 bucks a night. can also help you out with where to eat.
    Posted via Mobile Device

31. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Joined yesterday, made first post today.

I have engaged the saints. (Anyone who looks at my avatar knows how I made that quote. :) )

32. saints4life

saints4life New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    I think some of your fans aren't realizing that this "amount of yards" we give up is when the teams are forced to pass the ball the entire second half, because we jump on them quick. To the poster who said the bills defense is better then ours you must be on something. Saintgreg, these boys just don't know yet.

33. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Don't worry, I know. I am starting new orleans defense on my fantasy football team. :)

34. narciso88

narciso88 New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    its gonna be a tough game guys, GL and hope no injury happen,

35. vabchbirdlover

vabchbirdlover New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Virginia beach, VA
    What? Wildcard, Wildcard did you say Wildcard? Nope we gonna for the division title! Seriously, i think Miami is going to give you guys a great game and with Home field, wouldn't surprise me none to see them pull off a upset. My take is if the Fins get their ground game going, with a dose of Henne to keep y'all's defense honest, will make for a long day for you. Dolphins just need to keep Brees off the field as much as possible - Dude's scary good.

cheers!

36. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Well I guess that would be me you're referring to. And if you were to go back and read my posts on the matter, you would see that what I said was that the Bills Pass Defense was ranked higher than the Saints' Pass Defense. So ....
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

I know that the Saints have a good defense. I have them on my FF and they've done well for me. However, my point was this:
    Henne has already faced two teams with tough pass defenses.
    Both the Bills' and Jets' pass defense are ranked higher than the Saints.
    Now you saying the rankings are flat out wrong is one thing. But if you're going to say that, then you ought to be able to provide something factual to back it up.
    I also understand that if a team has a big lead the other team is going to be passing a lot to try and catch up.
    That reasoning can't really be used with the Bills or the Jets because they haven't been in that situation where they've had such huge leads that teams have to throw the ball all over the field to try and catch up.
    Now again, I'm only talking about pass defense - just pass defense.
    So now instead of saying how I must be on something, why not bring a little something to the discussion. Something more than just "well I've watched all the games so I just know these things".
    What would you use to determine passing defense rankings?

calphin and djphinfan like this.
  37. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Black demons..... Black visors..............BOO!!

38. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I guess these boys dont think Ricky Williams isnt gonna have a little extra juice against the new orleans saints, his first team..from the way he looks so far this year, that extra juice just might get someone hurt......i wonder if these saints fans ever got the privalage to see ricky williams legs continue to churn even when he's on the ground... Ya'll be lookin for that on the sideline sunday, it usually happens after he stiffarms you while turning the corner at top speed then gets his head lower then the defenders, and finishes...lol, funniest damn thing you ever seen, they just keep churnin... i gotta admit, true story, ive actually felt sorry for some defensive players... I know, iam so sensitive are'nt I.

And you know MVP candidite, Ronnie brown, has got his back all day, and all that that entails. Nobody in this league has the vision, the diversity, and the all around skill level of this player., power? forgettaboutit.. hey saints fans,You know what a funny thing to do is ...watch guys stare at ronnie brown when he takes the snap, its quite funny actually because some of them, and i could provide evidence, dont even move..anyways, its a little thing we call SMASHCAT around these parts...to summarize the philosophy, its basically causing chaos by highly skilled players behind a line that does'nt give a sh$# about whats going on behind them...

Lets just say,Iam not worried about your pass defense. and i dont think you boys should be either.

HULKFish and late again like this.
  39. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    This is my house.

late again likes this.
  40. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    As a 15 year New Orleans resident, I figure I oughtta chime in. I've watched all the Saints games this year when they don't conflict with Dolphins games.

Why Miami Can Win
    -Saints front 7 is not big enough to stop the Wildcat. Sedrick Ellis is no Kris Jenkins. Jon Vilma is not Bart Scott. Gregg Williams is working miracles in New Orleans, but there's a limit to how he can scheme. The Saints just don't have the horses to beat the Wildcat.
    -Chad Henne has improved with every start. He has two weeks to prepare. He might be the difference maker in this game. The NOLA secondary is excellent, but they'll have to cheat up their safeties to stop the Miami power-running attack, and Henne will make em pay (of course, the NY Giants had a power running attack....)
    -We can stop the NOLA run with just our front 7. I have no idea how we're gonna stop Brees.

Why The Saints Can Win
    -Lotsa Shockey and Bush, catching passes out of the backfield. Our LBs and Safeties suck at man-to-man coverage.
    -Drew Brees is on fire. Not much to say regarding this point. He's placing the ball in impossible spots. The guy is lights out.

My prediction: Saints 27, Miami 21

djphinfan and Frumundah Finnatic like this.