1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salary Cap Update/Enough?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    http://overthecap.com/feb-3-nfl-salary-cap-space-update/

Will this be enough to re-sign our high performing FA's,rebuild the OL, and add some key additions??

Where would be if we cut some players like: Matt Moore,Dimitri Patterson,Nate Garner,Jimmy Wilson,Jonathan Martin,Daniel Thomas,Arkin,Trusnik,etc.

NaboCane likes this.
  2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Our only high performing fa is grimes. The dt's are both overrated IMO. Keep one and lose the other. Oddrick played well enough. Martin, Patterson, and Moore are all gone I think. Get Brandon Albert, another fa guard, maybe two if the money is right.

3. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    According to cap numbers, they can get further cap space by cutting:

Moore - $4M
    Patterson - $5.4M
    Garner - $1.45M
    Wilson - $1.38M
    Martin - $345K
    Daniel Thomas - $816K
    Egnew - $447K

total $13.8M

That saving is enough to sign 2 good FA with some creative salary structuring.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    The first three should already have their bags packed.

5. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I would only try to negotiate a restructure with Moore, get his number to a third of what it is now. Otherwise, yeah I agree.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  6. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Never going to happen. He's worth it. Hate to pay it, but he's worth it.

7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You can get his number down while continuing to pay him

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

If Patterson reworks that deal, I'd take the chance. If Taylor develops, his injuries won't be that devastating.

djphinfan likes this.
  9. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

With the number of teams looking for a quality QB and knowing several QBs wanting to see FA status I'd use Moore as trade bait if Devlin is thought to be ready. Then use the draft to get a # 3 QB to train.

Patterson's deal needs to be reworked or he's gone, Martin too could be used as trade bait early on to see if we can get ANYTHING back from him. As for the OL guys I'd be happy to see a total restructure there.

I'm sure Aponte will be creative as always.

10. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'd like to see Patterson and Martin gone, keep the rest. Especially Wilson, Thomas and Garner.

11. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Any doctors around?

How does an NFL player go through the every day grind if he cant take anti-inflammatory meds?

12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    There is no viable backup if Moore is cut loose, Devlin sucks. If Tannehill went down and Moore isn't there to back him up, the season is lost. Combine that with one of the worst OL in the league, with one starter coming back for sure and lousy backups, and what you have is a recipe for disaster if a viable backup QB isn't retained. Tannehill was lucky to survive last season, with the stupid number of sacks he took plus the QB pressures.

77FinFan likes this.
  13. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    well if its just a pain tolerance thing, then he has to tough it out, if its something that will get worse with more action, his NFL career might not be very long

14. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I still can't believe Ireland in a must win year took 2 guys with the first 2 picks with significant injuries.

15. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    You guys think Garner should be cut? I don't know... we already have enough OL problems as it is and he is valuable as a backup who can play pretty much all positions on the OL.

GMJohnson likes this.
  16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...new-cornerback-jamar-taylor-has-kidney-issues

GMJohnson likes this.
  17. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I think we'll bring in at least 2 new RB's this offseason, Thomas will be the odd man out if this happens.

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'd love to see some better backs I just don't think cutting Thomas for financial reasons would be a great idea. He's a solid backup at the very least, and like Miller, he wasn't exactly used correctly IMO.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Man, Soliai gettin' no love here....I think he's one we need to keep... He has only been missed when he wasn't in the lineup...??

I think they cut Patterson loose, not because of his play but his inability to stay on the field, he'll probably go somewhere else and tear it up for a year or two. Garner is probably a keeper, if for nothing more than his flexibility to play where needed...with a 45 man game day roster, flexible OL are keepers...even tho we know he's not really what we want to see starting... Martin is gone, period, but we'll carry his salary anyway because it's a rookie contract that is guaranteed...Wilson actually was useful, if for nothing more than injury protection...

Moore is one that is questionable to me...I like the idea of having a veteran guy that can come in and not lose his cool, but if we had to rely on him for longer stretches....eesh...If they think they need the room, he could be a casualty. Thomas and Egnew are just guys, but their contracts make the difference in whether we keep them or not...so, to shorten what I'm thinking, these guys in their 2nd and 3rd year (Wilson, Thomas, Egnew), I don't believe we get any cap relief by cutting them...

20. Larryfinfan

Well, I just did a little reading and it's rather complicated based on what round they were drafted and how much they've played, etc....Wilson and Thomas probably have accrued enough play time that parts of their 4th yr salary will be guaranteed, but that's just a guess. Egnew hasn't played much and could likely be released with little future cap hit. Again, I'm guessing somewhat but there are penalties to teams cutting draft picks before their 4th season...

21. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Just go to link in the original post. Those amounts are listed.

22. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I did not know about the penalty. Still learning stuff about this new CBA.

23. Larryfinfan

Yeah, I'm just not sure those numbers reflect % of plays that determine the 4th yr and that associated hit... Martin, for example is guaranteed and his hit in 2015 is about $1M, so while the cap hit this year is $345K, there is still money left in his contract, that we'd be responsible for, again, depending on playing time accrued to date (assuming he's not going to be here), and how the contract was structured... That's why the author says 'estimated' figures on every page... His cap hit if cut is different than his listed 'cap hit' for 2014...

24. Larryfinfan

Yeah, I'm just not sure those numbers reflect % of plays that determine the 4th yr and that associated hit... Martin, for example is guaranteed and his hit in 2015 is about $1M, so while the cap hit this year is $345K, there is still money left in his contract, that we'd be responsible for, again, depending on playing time accrued to date (assuming he's not going to be here), and how the contract was structured... That's why the author says 'estimated' figures on every page... His cap hit if cut is different than his listed 'cap hit' for 2014...

On the other hand, I could be screwy and be reading too much into the CBA page...(very likely)...