Salguero: Ireland told his job is safe

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Serpico Jones, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I don't see how he betrayed anyone. He did his job. If anything, he probably did Sparano a solid. Ireland likely played a role in getting Sparano that extension, which he didn't even deserve.

2. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I dunno who told who what, or who was friends with who, but I do know that Harbaugh would have been a great hire, a huge upgrade over Sparano, and if Ireland and Ross pulled it off no one would care about Tony's feelings being hurt.

Anyone using that episode (doing what Ross wanted) to argue for Ireland's dismissal not only has a weak argument, they pretty much have no clue as to what's going on inside the organization as well.

ToddPhin and djphinfan like this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The idea that Ireland betrayed Sparano is basically historical fiction borne more out of desire than evidence.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That doesn't mean she is making decisions on who were gonna actually sign..he might bring two players to the table and say which one makes more sense to the cap, she tells him in monetary fashion, and Ireland makes the call..

5. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    The whole case against Ireland is borne out of desire rather than evidence.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    As a professional, do you know that Ireland would of hired sparano as his head coach if Parcells didn't hire him to do the job.?

7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If it's a good cop bad cop set up as some have said then I think it's a good idea. Obviously Ireland is the guy choosing the players but when it's time to talk actual numbers, in comes Aponte? That frees Ireland up to do what he does best, add talent to the roster and piss off fans.

8. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I think the last three off seasons have shown that Ireland disagrees with Parcells' entire blueprint for building a team, including hiring the brainy tactician over the hard nosed motivator.

9. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    lol

MonstBlitz likes this.
  10. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I don't Philbin is spineless, and you will probably see some stuff come out after this season that will shock you. Philbin essentially has no choice, and he will always play the good soldier publicly. I know for a fact that he didn't want Incognito or Martin on the team, and had he gotten his way, this wouldn't have been a major story this year.

11. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Ireland didn't hire the brainy tactician. Stephen Ross hired him when Ireland wanted someone else.

12. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Just so we are on the record, it apparently is perfectly fine to court another head coach when you haven't fired your current head coach. Have I got that right, because apparently that is standard operating procedure in the NFL. You fly across country and embarrass your current coach by courting someone else, and then when you don't get him, you give him a symbolic 1 year extension.

That goes along with the fact that it is apparently OK to ask a prospect if his mother is a whore, and it is OK to tell someone they are cut without telling them to their face.

13. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    So when Parcells was here Ireland didn't have final say, and now when Parcells is gone ole Jeffy still doesn't have final say?

14. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Of course not. The guy is a middle manager in a billion dollar enterprise.

15. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    With the exception of maybe your last point, none of that is fine with anyone except for butt hurt dolphin fans, which is why this franchise was ripped and clowned by everyone after these incidents.

16. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Asking a prospect if his mother is a whore - OK when it is the type of person that assaults his own mother, yes.

Cutting someone over the phone, during the offseason - Preferable to making someone travel to cut them.

Courting another coach when you haven't fired your current coach - This actually is a valid criticism, but at the same time I don't think many people would do otherwise when put in the same situation. Too much money at stake. We also don't know that Ireland was "courting" anyone, or just going along for the ride.

17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Sure. 4 losing seasons, several failed free agencies, several mediocre to poor drafts, and 2 very public and embarrassing scandals have nothing to do with it.

Not surprised you're one of the last to jump off the Ireland boat. A glance back at some old Henne threads shows a track record of being loyal to the core when it comes to defending Miami Dolphins through thick and thin. I respect that, I really do. But to try and say there is no sound logical reason whatsoever to wanting Ireland gone is pure madness.

18. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I speak from extensive experience when I say this, it is amazing how off the mark many people are when they are basing opinions on fragmented and very limited information.

What makes them so rooted or steadfast in their belief on a given subject, although they only have fragmented and limited information, is because the remaining blanks are filled in with their own perspective, value structure and even agenda.

This can be very, very dangerous.

19. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Thats hearsay. And even if true, Mike McCoy is also a brainy tactician, so what's your point?

20. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If we have had that many poot offseasons in a row how have we made the playoffs once and how are we competing for them now?

21. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    What draft was mediocre to poor? By my count every one of them has produced at least four starters. As for Chad Henne, his team has won 4 outta 6. And he's a lot better than most of the guys the anti Henne people were clamoring for, Mallett, Ponder, Gabbert, Orton, Kolb, just to name a few.

toto likes this.
  22. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    It does seem to be that NFL teams usually fire their coach before publicly courting a new one, but the idea that looking for a new one before you have fired your old one is outrageous or immoral is nonsense. Teams always look for player replacements before releasing the guy who underperformed. Always. Cutting starters before you have drafted or traded for their replacement would be universally regarded as moronic. And that process is very public. Millions of people watch the process (draft) on TV and trades are discussed publicly for weeks before they happen. Sparano was very much a part of numerous of those instances.

Ireland's job is to do what's best for the team. Period. Harbaugh is pretty clearly a better coach than Sparano. If Ireland believed that and believed there was a limited window of time to possibly get him, he owed it to the team to explore that. If Ross wanted to fly out to meet Harbaugh and wanted Ireland to go, it absolutely would have been a dereliction of duty for Ireland to refuse. And I don't see how it would have been better for Sparano to have been fired first. Yeah, the Harbaugh thing was a little embarrassing to him. But getting fired is more embarrassing. As it was, Sparano got to keep his job and got another year (and another million or two). I think that is about the best Sparano could have realistically hoped for considering his coaching performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

GMJohnson likes this.
  23. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Sorry, but there is no form of rationalization that is going to make what happened there better. I don't really care that Tony wasn't a great head coach. You do not treat people this way. If I am going to fire my nurse, I don't go looking for a replacement and then decide to fire her. I fire her based on merit, and then I look for a replacement.

It was Jeff's job to tell Stephen Ross that this is not the proper way to handle this and that there would be massive backlash over doing this in this way. Look no farther than Bill Cowher's statements about their decision. Cowher ripped the Dolphins for how they went about their business on this decision. If there ever was a chance that Cowher wanted to come back and would have considered the Dolphins, it went out the window there. That's what happens when you get the reputation that Jeff Ireland has though. Players openly mock him, and we didn't land Jeff Fisher because of him.

24. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    "Final roster say" is about as un-ambiguous a statement as one could make. It means ultimate authority over the 53 + 8 players that wear Dolphins uniforms. If Ireland chooses to defer some of that final say—for example, allowing coaches full control over preseason roster cutdowns to 53—then he has that ability, but he's still ultimately responsible.

It is amazing how you will whitewash the obvious. The part about Ireland being a middle manager is particularly insulting to the intelligence.

MrClean likes this.
  25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Which is basically what happened with Brandon Marshall. :sad:

finfansince72 likes this.
  26. MrClean

Dangerous? This is a football message board. Hardly anything is a threat to national security. :lol:

27. MrClean

IMO, just producing a few starters from a draft doesn't make it a smashing success. How good of starters are they? Are they starting more out of necessity than due to great talent? (Jon Martin cough cough). Ireland's drafts haven't been total flops, but just looking at whom he passed on compared to whom he took, they could have been so much better, and I believed that at the time the picks were made. I just would like to see him do as well in the 2nd and 3rd and he does in the 4th on down. Maybe the best thing for him to do would be trade down with the 2nd and 3rd rounders and accumulate a bunch of extra 4s, 5s and 6s. :)

MonstBlitz, ssmiami and texanphinatic like this.
  28. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I think the point you've made in this post and others is the most important one to me. SIX YEARS, that is insane to have that amount of time and to be a borderline playoff team needing a 4 game win streak and other teams losing to make it in with the last wild card spot.....this isn't good by any stretch of the imagination. People will look at the improvement from last year to this year and say we are right there.....well this is hoping that Ireland can get us to move forward in possibly the most important single offseason in our history coming up. This is a guy that leaves a roster with HUGE holes every single year, craps out at an alarming rate in free agency...and he's going to move us forward to contend with the best teams in the league? He hasn't shown the ability to build a complete team, this doesn't mean that a team has to have superstars at every spot, but we do need to not have gaping holes at key positions like RB, Oline, Special Teams, etc. Honestly, any number of personnel guys can build a roster with the kind of overall talent Ireland has, he's nothing special, if we are content with a mediocre overall team talent wise, 9 wins maybe 10 with some luck then we are just a crappy organization who will not win a title.

29. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    No you cannot have final authority over something in which you do not control the budget. That is pretty much a fundamental truth of management.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PhinishLine likes this.
  30. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't care if Jesus Christ and The Buddha are teaming up to select players. Noone is winning a damn thing with Sparano developing the talent.

31. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    You obviously have little idea of how things work in the business world or the NFL. Job searches take time. Often several months. For executive positions it can take much longer than that. You don't fire who you have and leave yourself without anyone to do that job for months while you look for a new one. I don't know how many nurses you have or how hard it is to find good nurses, but if you only have one and good ones are hard to find, it would be moronic to fire your only nurse and then go without a nurse (assuming you actually need one) for months. I disagree with a lot of what you say but I know you are not that stupid. Very few people are. And if somehow you are, you are not doing your nurse any favors. I'm sure she'd rather keep her job for a few months while you look for a replacement than get fired immediately.

And in the NFL teams always look for player replacements before cutting the current guy. It is dumb not to. Players understand that. They know the team is always looking for upgrades. They hear the rumors about who the team is looking at in the draft. You don't see a flurry of cuts before the draft even though everyone knows most of the guys being drafted will be replacing someone.

We pretty much know that all but one or two of our OL are not good enough. Are you advocating that the Dolphins immediately release every except Pouncey (and maybe 1 or 2 others)? Should the personnel department stop scouting OL prospects until those cuts are made. Is it somehow unethical for Ireland to be checking out other teams' practice squads to see if they have anyone better until after we have released 90% of our OL?

32. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    That's a very interesting point. Remember when they played hardball with Tannehill, saying that they were absolutely prepared to have him sit out a year and re-enter the draft? Now, we know that was probably all show and little substance, but it's very telling that Aponte was, by all accounts, leading the charge. I have literally never heard of the cap guy doing something like that.

33. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    2010 was terribly mediocre. And many of the other drafts, Ireland's only "scores" are no longer on the team. Jake Long, VD, Sean Smith, etc. So, go ahead and now make the argument that those are players that Miami should have gotten rid of and prove my point that these drafts were mediocre or poor.

Player retention is another big problem with your boy Jeffry.