Salguero: Ireland told his job is safe

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Serpico Jones, Dec 8, 2013.

1. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    You said the reason the team is improved is the development of Tannehill and an opportunistic defense did you not?

2. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Maybe , maybe not , but once you lie which he did do , then you never fully believe in what is said by the person, yes?

3. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Disagree. BOTH were/are upgrades. so you can downgrade to mediocre for the money paid......

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Lets talk about Cogs for a second. What Philbin said about Incognito didnt even have anything to do with Incognito the player. It had to do with his attitude. If a players attitude is toxic and it essentially brings down the performance of the team does that override the fact that a player may be good on the field? If a guy your team is voting as a captain or a leader has a crappy attitude what kind of attitude is the rest of the team going to have? Attitude is not a reflection of leadership alone, performance and effort are a reflection of leadership. Also for the record the incident that Philbin wanted to cut Incognito for was in May of 2012 before his pro bowl season.... http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10063309&src=desktop&wjb

5. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Would you care to argue otherwise?

The players got credit because Tannehill in particular has been given a crappy hand by his GM with no OL and no running game and you think the GM deserves credit for that? *Cue Jim Mora voice* Credit? We are talking about how hes undercutting his own draft picks development and you want to give him credit? No chance buddy. The player is overcoming negligence by his front office. The coaching staff has done a decent job teaching and developing him (although I dont care for the playcalls necessarily) and the kid is winning at life but not because of his Gm setting him up for success.

ASOT likes this.
  6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Regardless of who's at GM what'd you think the first unit to be upgraded is this offseason? Obviously OL since it's our only huge glaring need.

And yea I'm sure you'll say well if it's JI he's done a poor job of that so far, which is def true to an extent. However, I don't remember hearing people up in arms when we signed Clabo or Louis this year. Most thought those were solid moves and on paper at the time, they were. Martin was the only one a lot of people were skeptical about and rightfully so.

toto likes this.
  7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    First lets not pretend like Philbin has made any public comments about wanting Cogs gone. He hasn't. And even if he did, Philbin wanted him cut and then he went out and had a Pro Bowl season, how is that a negative on Ireland?

Second, if the TEAM wants Cogs as a captain then apparently the TEAM likes him despite whatever warts he may have. And if his attitude was so toxic then why is the TEAM rallying to defend him?

Not a single player has gone on record to bash Cogs even after he was was basically kicked off the team. In fact Ian Eagle made it a point to say that Cogs was eligible to return soon while Martin will never again play for the Dolphins. How much evidence do you need? It's clear the players support Cogs and have no love for Martin. Maybe if you weren't so invested in going after Ireland you would notice that.

8. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I was never a fan of the Louis signing though I was cautiously optimistic about Martin. Here's the thing though, I dont get paid for player evaluation and neither does anyone here. All we can go by is websites like PFf and whatever film we can get our hands on. A gm wears many hats in a football organization and that's one of them. He failed miserably despite having every resource in terms of picks and money. How can you defend a Gm that fails in his biggest responsibility despite being set up for success?

For the record OL is the biggest hole but we have glaring needs elsewhere too. We might need an Rb, we need CB's and we need a real red zone target preferably at TE (not because clay is bad but because we have no height...When there's no space in tight quarters you can always throw the ball up where there's less traffic. You limit your qb and play caller otherwise)

Have a good night.

ASOT, The Rev and KB21 like this.
  9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Ireland re-signed Hartline to go with Wallace, Keller and Gibson. He signed Clabo and Louis to beef up the OL. He brought in the so called architect of the Packers offense and RTs college HC to install an offense around Tannehills strengths. And you think that is setting RT up for failure? Ha ha ha.

But let's abandon all logic and say you're correct. What type of QB would flourish under those circumstances and who is the GM that drafted him?

WADR you are talking in circles and the extent you and others go to to bash the organization even in light of their recent successes says a lot more about you and your mind set than it does about the team, who has won 4 of 6 and occupies the drivers seat in he playoff chase.

slickj101 likes this.
  10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    His biggest responsibility was getting us a QB.

How can I defend him? Bc it's not as black and white of a situation as you guys make it out to be. As I've said a million times, we'll see how the season goes. So far he's done alright and if the team dares to win a playoff game or two, I don't think you can justify axing anyone.

GMJohnson likes this.
  11. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'd love to axe some of these know it all fans who love to beeyatch and complain about how good the team is doing. I mean if you can't shake the doom and gloom at this point then wtf are you even a fan for? To make yourself miserable?

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    You must of missed it but apparently only the FO can be criticized but the fans are above any such judgment.

This article explains my thoughts on that subject: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-...0620.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Sometimes there just aren't enough ***damn unicorns.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If this team wins out, then like the article says and like I said all week, you will need to reassess everything you thought about this team..including the GM who put the team together.

This conversation is too premature at this point.imo..

Why, because the bengals are the third best team in the afc, and we beat them.

Why, because if we win out, we would of beaten the 2nd best team in the afc.

Why, because we would of beaten the fifth best team in the afc.

If your basing your firing of Ireland on the idea that Ireland forced Martin onto joe, then I can understand, but at 10 and 6 and a playoff birth, maybe joe will have to reassess as well.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I've written dozens of posts on this site for not thinking Clabo, Martin or Louis could play after watching hundreds of reps, and was one who lobbied for the Mckinnie signing in the offseason, but if the replacements that he signed get the job done and pull this off, I've got to give him credit for the replacements, that includes Jerry, Brenner, Garner..

There are 53 guys on a roster, if they make this happen it means the totality of the talent got it done..in the 2nd year of a first time coaches tenure..it means were ahead of the curve..

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just so I'm clear, are we blaming Ireland for the bills and bucs loss?

17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Soooo perfect!!

Dolphans luv to complain about how special they are and long they have suffered. Suffered without a franchise QB for instance, we have one now but eff the man who drafted him bc he asks tough questions in combine interviews and doesn't care much for idiot fans or idiot beat writers.

Dolphans want instant gratification, they deserve it right? It's been 30 years since the last championship so if they can't get instant gratification from being an instant winner then they'll settle for the instant gratification of seeing whoever failed to provide instant gratification fired, preferably humiliated publicly and then fired.

And after a long procession of saviors who have failed, Dolphans now fancy themselves as not only fans wanting a winner but as intellectually superior to those running the team and thus much better equipped to chart a path to success. Yes, Dolphans know a good OC or DC when they see one, they are college and pro personnel gurus, able to immediately decipher the difference between good acquisitions like Orton and Flynn vs bad pickups like Clay, Bush and Grimes. I'm surprised the team hasn't just fired ALL of their coaches, scouts and personnel people and turned the teams decision making over to popular vote. It is the internet age, why not choose draft picks and FA signings based off of online polling? It would increase web hits and save money at the same
    time!

That way when the team loses the fans can just blame themselves. But I doubt that'd happen, the know it all Dolphans would probably rage against the team for ever listening to fan opinion in the first place. Yep, that's exactly what would happen.

18. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Bad games are Ireland's fault, good games are bc players Ireland acquired just happened to play well.

19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I doubt advanced metrics was the main reason they drafted Von.

20. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That's not totally correct. Sturgis gets on the field a lot, and so does Don Jones. It's better to wait until well into their second season at least to judge most draft picks.

21. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Only 2 other teams had a shot at Von Miller, and we weren't one of them...... and there was no way any team was drafting Demaryius Thomas at #12, and he was already off the board when we were on the clock at #28 when we took Jared Odrick who has turned out to be a great addition to the defense. Julius Thomas was not drafted b/c of advanced metrics; he was drafted b/c he boasted a good deal of obvious talent and potential.

There's nothing in these examples that suggests our GM does or doesn't lay credence in advanced metrics for his analysis.

22. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    and Panthers... no way they should have converted the 4th down... that was all on JI

23. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    wow... now you are talking Ka-Ray-ZZZZZ

MrClean likes this.
  24. smhemi

smhemi Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Haha KB you would not be saying that if Tebow was still QB would you?

GMJohnson and CitizenSnips like this.
  25. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

All this analytics and statistics talk makes me wonder about the call at the end of the first half. I'm betting the statistics were saying go for it, yet we attempted a 52 yard field goal, in the snow, with 22 seconds left and 2 timeouts.

I'm betting that attempt has no more than a 5% chance of success but we didn't have the balls to try and get into a better scoring position. The whole field is available at that point with the timeouts, for me that was a call I'd expect from Sparano or Wanny but not Philbin. I guess Philbin is feeling some kind of heat and is now in "coaching not to lose" mode.

26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I disagree. If your coach doesn't think Player X can play at pretty important position and it turns out he was right, then there's a significant problem. That problem is magnified when the coach wants Player Y gone for behavior reasons, the GM says no, and that player goes on to be the center of a major, major scandal. That scandal very likely cost us a win against the Bucs.

I argued this from day one....the GM's job is to get players that fit the coaches system. Ireland did that when Parcells was here. The ****ty players that everyone hates on him for, were not ****ty for the system he was acquiring players for, the system and coaches were ****ty. 2011, he had no system to really draft for as we all knew Sparano was gone. That year is turning out to be pretty spectacular. But, if Philbin is telling him Martin can't cut it a left tackle and Cogs is a locker room problem and while their here, Tannehill is on pace for most sacks ever and the biggest scandal in Dolphins' history hits centered around those two....then Ireland is responsible for that.

KB21 likes this.
  27. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    No, that's not what he's saying IMO. IMO what he's saying is that their roster, and the talent around the QB is far superior to ours at those positions he indicated, and probably across the board, which is because of the GM that was in place at the time who brought in that talent.

God... these arguments are so painful to read through... its like fanboys crying over ps4 or xbox1, or apple/samsung at times...

And chalk up another win for the media. Big win on the road, in playoff contention, lets create some more drama! woo!! :pity:

28. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    This is the worst news ever

ASOT likes this.
  29. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    If it's true, it's a horrible decision by Ross. But it's not his first horrible decision and it likely won't be his last.

ASOT likes this.
  30. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Nick Saban went went 9-7 in his first season and fired Rick Spielman after it.

These guys don't appear to be on the same page and there's dysfunction in the building. That's not a recipe for long-term success.

Ireland's sins are well documented.

ASOT, Boik14, KB21 and 2 others like this.
  31. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Ireland's body of work is what it is, and I don't think it's good enough whether we make the playoffs this year or not.

My biggest beef with Ross seems to be his week to week changes in mindset. He's similar to fans in that way. A few weeks ago Ireland was definitely gone. Now he's safe.

So, let me understand, if Antonio Brown wears a size 9 shoe instead of 11 and gets a TD on that lateral play turning a thrilling victory into one of the worst losses in team history is Ireland not safe?

The results of one play, or even one season don't change an entire career. Dave Wannstedt went 32-16 his first 3 years here, with a division title, a second playoff appearance and a playoff win, yet I don't think most people felt he was a good coach despite that fine record.

I would absolutely love to see this team make the playoffs. Yesterday was one of the first games in a long time where I was completely into it like when I was younger. But just making the playoffs doesn;t magically make Ireland a good GM or Philbin a good coach for that matter. It's a weird year and a mediocre team is going to get in the AFC playoffs. We may well be that mediocre team and that's great. But you're still mediocre.

ASOT, Boik14 and KB21 like this.
  32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm on the record, I want Ireland fired...however, Ross never said Ireland was gone. So your comments about him being wishy washy are completely baseless.

GMJohnson likes this.
  33. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    ross is going to get so much **** if we miss the playoffs and ireland is not fired.

ASOT likes this.
  34. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    [h=2]@ArmandoSalguero Now, I'm told Ross assurance to Ireland was not conditional. But I don't trust Ross because he often says things one day, changes next.[/h]

35. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Another season where he picks up one or two quality players and ****s up a unit that hamstrings the team into another 7-9 season is a way better outcome than this coaching staff ruining Tannehill.

36. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Neither one of those were solid moves on paper. Tyson Clabo is a gap blocker, not a zone blocker, and he was signed to play in a zone blocking scheme. There was a reason he was available as late as he was signed. Signing Tyson Clabo was a move similar to their signing of Mark Colombo, another brilliant Jeff Ireland free agent move. He's played as bad as Colombo did as well. Lance Louis was little more than a shot in the dark. Neither one of those moves constitutes addressing what is a severe problem up front, but this is how Jeff Ireland works. He does not anticipate what position or position groups will be problems for him going forward, and this is why the teams he builds ALWAYS have a major hole that limits his team's performance.

If he is retained, look for him to throw a bunch of money at the OL problem, and in the process, he probably lets two of our own free agent DTs walk, thusly creating a hole at the DT position. We could potentially have a major hole in the secondary as well with both Brent Grimes and Nolan Carroll free agents and Dimitri Patterson a candidate to be released.

ASOT and Boik14 like this.
  37. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    So you would support keeping a GM that didn't have the immediate foresight to realize the layers HE brought in couldn't play and let half the season go by before he finally addressed anything?

Why should he get credit for the replacements when the only way to go was up considering the way the players HE BROUGHT IN were playing? Sam Brenner is a guy the coaching staff wanted on the roster from the very beginning, but it was JEFF IRELAND who released him and kept another one of his mistakes (Dallas Thomas, Danny Watkins). The coaching staff has wanted John Jerry gone from the very beginning, as they tried their best to run him off during their first year. You give credit to John Jerry for hanging around, but the ONLY reason he is playing is because JEFF IRELAND has been unable to bring in anyone who can actually play.

This is a team that STILL needs 4 out of 5 new starters up front. That is pathetic roster management, especially considering that you went into the draft with 11 draft picks and had a load of cap money. All he came away with in free agency was a shiny hood ornament who has made very little impact and clearly isn't worth the money he is being paid, two overpriced linebackers who are downgrades from what we previously had, an injury prone tight end that was not an impact player in his previous stop, an injured offensive guard, and a right tackle who is ready to be put to pasture. All that money spent, and the only quality players brought in were Brent Grimes, who we may lose this offseason, and Brandon Gibson. Yet, you think if this team makes a run to the playoffs in a weak AFC this year, we should ignore that and continue to let him make these mistakes.

ASOT likes this.
  38. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Josh McDaniel drafted Tebow, not Brian Xanders, but Xanders put a team around Tebow that he could win with.

ASOT likes this.
  39. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Exactly. If Ross keeps Jeff, then he might as well just sell the team, because this team will not become a Superbowl caliber team under his ownership if he thinks Jeff Ireland is doing a good job.

ASOT likes this.
  40. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm not sure how this coaching staff is ruining Ryan Tannehill with the way they are approaching his development. He's already progressed farther than a guy like Colin Kaepernick and RGIII, who were spoon fed half field reads early on and are now struggling to advance farther. In his last 5 games, Ryan Tannehill has an 88.8 quarterback rating, is completing 64.1% of his passes, and has 9 TD passes to 5 INTs. If this coaching staff were "ruining" him, you would think he would be getting worse instead of putting up top 10-15 QB type numbers in his second year. This team is likely going to finish 9-7 when the talent level of the team suggests they shouldn't win more than 6 or 7 games total. That's not a coaching problem.

ASOT and Boik14 like this.