Salguero: Ireland told his job is safe

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Serpico Jones, Dec 8, 2013.

1. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    But people are jumping to conclusions as to where or what the disagreements are. Some want to claim that any bad decisions must be Ireland's and that they were forced on Philbin. Maybe Ireland wanted to focus more on the OL, but the coaches told them they were okay there based on their quick passing concepts? Maybe the disagreement was Ireland complaining about Jordan or Clay not being used more? Maybe the disagreements weren't even that big and they were basically on the same page with most every decision? We know that the coaches reviewed the film on the FA prospects before FA started. I think it's ridiculous to think that Philbin didn't want Wallace and that the team went after him anyways. And then that Philbin was lying when he said that Wallace was the guy he wanted. I had my reservations about Wallace, but I'm not going to pretend that anybody who's knowledge I respect must be lying if they state a different opinion from mine. My guess is that the coaches told the F.O. that they wanted to focus on improving the pass O and the Pass D and that to do that they wanted to add receiving weapons for RT, pass rushers and pass defenders with ball skills. The F.O. provided film for the coaches to review and they came back with Wallace as the top WR (over Jennings) and they wanted Gibson to be a big bodied slot WR. They also wanted another TE option. The F.O. brought in Wallace, Gibson and Keller to meet those desires. The F.O. also brought Grimes and pass rushing LBs in Ellerbe and Wheeler and Jordan in the draft to specifically address the pass D side of the coach's wish list. The F.O. also tried to re-sign Long and brought in Clabo and Louis to address the OL. I think that Bush and his negative plays was clearly an area of frustration with the coaches. I just don't see this huge disconnect with the areas the coaches said they wanted to improve and the players that were brought in. I think that the most likely area for disagreement is in what players got playing time.

Overall I like how this team is being built. The OL is obviously behind due to the switch from the big players Parcells/Sparano coveted there to the smaller, more mobile players Philbin covets on the OL. But other than that I like the talent on this team. I think our D has been built to suit Philbin's desires. I like what we have at QB and WR and TE (especially if Keller is retained). I have my reservations about the running backs and OL of course, but even those areas have looked better as the play calling has improved over the last six weeks. I don't see this as a team that has been built poorly.

GMJohnson and MrClean like this.
  2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not sure how you can reach this conclusion thus far. Draft-wise, its pretty much too early to tell.

Free agency wise, he pretty much hit at what would be expected from any GM in free agency. He had bad signings (Wallace, Ellerbe), and he also had some great signings (Grimes, Gibson). That is a pretty solid record for someone in free-agency, which is a notoriously bad proposition.

But if you're looking for an argument for Jeff Ireland to keep his job, it is making itself pretty clear. Guys like Ryan Tannehill, Olivier Vernon, Charles Clay, Brian Hartline, etc. all coming into their own and becoming studs. If they keep producing like they have recently, then they are going to be the reason that Jeff Ireland is retained.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ok, I know where you stand on Ireland, it's hard to argue if true.

The other issue is whether or not this team is motivated by their coach or galvanized themselves internally because of how their character was defamed.?.. Your thoughts on that...is Philbin riding their tails...

I mean we know we had enough talent to beat the bill and bucs..

4. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    That's what I thought.

5. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    "According to reports"...

Also "according to reports", there is no smoking-gun or any further evidence, which would mean Ireland is fine. It never made sense to me how the GM would be implicated in the matter. He rarely deals with players.

Certainly if there is evidence of any wrongdoing by Ireland, then obviously that will change things. As of now, I'm working under the assumption that everything is going to come back clean.

6. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Do you really think an NFL coach isn't going to have certain players he doesn't like or doesn't think are adequate starters?

7. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I love when people use "reports" as the basis for their information and thus their opinion of their team. These "sources" are a standard far below hearsay and can almost be disagreed unless the same exact information comes from "multiple sources" as we've often seen this information come to fruition.

I can speak from professional experience that most "sources" speak with an agenda and are very often misleading.

8. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Says who on Philbin doesn't want it.
    And Wallace scored while keeping Pitts very busy double and triple teaming him to help the team score over 30 points to WIN.

I wasn't a big believer in Wallace and still wonder if the money is worth it but your blinded if you can't see the benefit It's far from fail.

MrClean likes this.
  9. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Dion Jordan was quoted during this entire mess that Jeff Ireland was always around the players. We know Channing Crowder has mentioned in the past about how Jeff was around the players a lot. Channing mentioned just how much of a jerk Jeff is as well. We have Sage Rosenfels going on the record stating that Jeff Ireland is the worst GM he was ever around, mostly because he is a grade A *******.

10. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    This source is not a Miami Dolphins source though.

We aren't talking about the leaks to the media that have been made by the front office to shed a bad light on the coaching staff (read any of Armando's blogs about this), and we aren't talking about the leaks from the coaching staff about decisions that Ireland made that they weren't a part of.

The fact that there are leaks like this where fingers are being pointed shows just how big of a fissure there is between Joe Philbin and Jeff Ireland right now.

ASOT likes this.
  11. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    We also have other players saying they don't really see Jeff Ireland during the season.

Again, right now there is no real evidence of any wrongdoing by anyone - nevermind Jeff Ireland - beyond an out of context transcript of a voicemail by Incognito.

In regards to him being an ******* - sure, he probably is. So is Tim Walton. So are plenty of other people that still perform well at their job. If he can keep drafting Ryan Tannehills, Olivier Vernons, Jimmy Wilsons, Charles Clays, Brian Hartlines, etc. then I don't really care if he's an *******.

GMJohnson likes this.
  12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Sage doesn't like him because he didn't release him so he could go onto another team.

MrClean likes this.
  13. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    This is just more wild fantasy speculation. "Leaks to the media that have been made by the front office" is pretty much another fairy tale.

14. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    So do you honestly believe that Joe Philbin would want a guy whose only positive trait is speed brought into his timing based offense when that receivers poor route running will throw the timing of said passing game completely off?

15. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    ....and your explanation for how he keeps creating holes to fill other holes is?

16. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    This may be but during the scandal Philbin was on record as saying that Ireland was very supportive of the coaching staff. This holds more weight than reports from "sources."

17. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    That is not speculation. We know that Armando is a mouth piece for Jeff Ireland.

18. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    I approve this message.

If Ireland is retained, the organization can say bye-bye to thousands more season ticket holders. If you think the stadium is empty now, just wait.....

19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The media, national or local all fall on the crutch of "sources". When something like this comes out, you never really know if it's a credible source of info or something the author simply 'made up' or 'surmized'. It's just like the reports that Wells has not found a "smoking gun" in his investigation so far. It's not something that is proven by multiple sources or God forbid, Ross himself, just something some one surmized about the situation...

People act like if they read something on a blog or newspaper that is should be taken as gospel...that's not reality...

20. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    What in the hell do you think Joe Philbin is going to say publicly? Do you expect him to personally come out and say "Well, if we had done what I wanted done, we wouldn't be in this situation."?

You think we should believe every bit of coach speak that comes out?

21. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    No explanation from my side. It is part of the job. Rosters function transiently as they mature. Almost every team in the league has holes. Even the best teams have holes. There are plenty of successful teams that have the same holes year after year. At the very least, Jeff Ireland at least has been accurate and honest in his self-evaluations, which is a very important trait. A lot of GMs will never admit their holes, and often double-down on their mistakes.

22. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    By all means feel free to actually prove that.

23. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    It's funny how we are supposed to believe it when "sources say" that no smoking gun has been found at this point, but we aren't supposed to believe it when "sources say" that Joe Philbin wanted player x gone but was overruled by the GM.

ASOT likes this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't blame Ireland for the first three years, so 10 and 6 is a factor in play....I'm trying to factor all this in from when he solely took over to the point of this team possibly finishing strong at 10 and 6 and be very young doing so.

Pouncey..Odrick..Misi..Jordan..Jamar Taylor..Tannehill are his first and 2nd round picks the past few years...good players right now for some who said his first and 2nd rounds were real bad, if they make this run I think we will need to look at every transaction from when he took over til where they finish, and assess it with micromanaged eyes to see whats really fair....if it comes out that's he's forcing players onto his coach and they finish 10 and 6, then we'll have to figure that out too and whether they wanna hash things out and work together moving forward.

Obviously all this is moot if these p,ayers are dedicating this season to themselves...it's impossible for me to discern this topic..some facts totally point to it being true..other thoughts are no team can sustain a run like they may be on without the help of good coaching...

Really I think the right thing to do is give everyone the benefit of the doubt and lets see how far they go,and if it goes farther than we all expected, we do what we as fans should do, reassess everything.

25. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Its pretty well know....again...from all that I have heard in various places...that Armando is considered to be Ireland's mouth piece. This isnt just KB saying it....and its not anything new.

26. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Shouldn't believe any of that stuff IMO. I don't even really care about what happens off the football field. What this team does on the field is what I'm going to focus on. The rest is just drama created by the media to get ratings.

27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

1.Since we signed Wallace, I honestly believe Philbin wanted Wallace.
    2. All NFL passing offenses require timing.

28. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    So it is a GM's job to have holes on the roster that keep the team from competing at a high level?

29. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

We just beat....Pittsburgh in the Burgh...to keep our playoff dreams alive...

And an Ireland job thread has ten pages.

Can we all just drop it...and instead....get 100 percent behind the team for this coming Sunday?

toto likes this.
  30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Clabo was one of the highest rated guards and if they thought he could adapt to a new scheme (unless JI purposely brought him in to sabotage Philbin dun dun dun), it makes sense.

Louis was the best player on CHI's the year before wasn't he? He never recovered from his surgery which is something that's very difficult to gage.

There's no way anyone lets our DTs AND Grimes walk. I'd be surprised to see Patterson go if he's healthy also.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    How much Are you basing your displeasure with Ireland that he forced mike Wallace on philbin?

32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    :lol: Sounds familiar.

33. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    This is rather convoluted, but I'll answer in two parts.

No, its not the GM's job to have holes on the roster. Its not a race car driver's job to finish in 5th place either. Having holes on the roster by no means should be the reason someone gets fired. Even teams that win the SB have holes.

Secondly, if this team makes the playoffs, then I would consider that to be competing at a high-level.

34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Says who? Armando? Still speculation.

35. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    What I'm saying is that the word coming from his mouth carries more weight than reports from "sources." Philbin, at the very least, is on record.

36. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    It is the straw that broke the camels back, but it is just another in a LONG LINE of poor personnel decisions made by Jeff Ireland.

ASOT likes this.
  37. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Yet nothing else has been released on the Martin scandal. Kinda hard to believe there's some huge evidence that's yet to come out. Then again there are websites that need news.

38. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    And that would be why the TE position was upgraded to exploit that. Keller was injured but they made sure to keep backups there. Spice up the running game a bit and this team can be alot to control.

39. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    So you believe coach speak.

40. toto

toto Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Vellmar, Germany
    How do we know which of those "bad" decisions was just Ireland and which was influenced or demanded by the coaches?