Salguero: Ireland told his job is safe

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Serpico Jones, Dec 8, 2013.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Since when did Dustin Keller constitute an upgrade? Look at his numbers. This guy is not an impact player.

ASOT likes this.
  2. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Good luck getting a decent answer to that which doesn't use the word, "sources."

toto likes this.
  3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    We beat a Pittsburgh team that is going to go 500 or under for two years in a row for the first time in 15 years, that has been plagued with injuries and free agent defections. Yes, it takes a very good effort to beat them, but it's not as if we went into Seattle and beat the Seahawks. This is still the same team that lost to the Bucs and Bills. This is still the same team that lost four in a row. IF we make the playoffs, then I will consider the possibility that the critics, myself included, are being unfair to Ireland. Not until then.

ASOT likes this.
  4. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Ah. The same excuse people tried to rationalize keeping him. "But we don't know which moves he made vs which moves Parcells made?"

HE'S A PART OF IT. HE'S THE GM. He has the final say on all roster decisions. His roster decisions have largely sucked.

ASOT likes this.
  5. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    They could win the rest of their games, be 10-6 and it will DIRECTLY be his fault they are not in the playoffs. His neglect of the OLine cost this team at least 2 wins. The object of every year is to make the playoffs. If this team fails to make them, then what is the difference between 1-15 or 10-6, especially if you had incredible advantages this last off-season in which to put your team over the top, and seemingly you have blown that.

It's unforgivable, because we had the chance this year. Next year Tannehill could be hurt, so you CANNOT play for the future, you play for THIS season, and Ireland let his organization down, his owner down and the teams loyal (what is left) fanbase down, ONCE AGAIN. How many years does he get a pass before some people will see he just cannot cut it as an NFL GM ?

It will be mind-boggling if he is kept and just another nail in the coffin for Steven Ross as owner of the team. If Ross doesn't fire him after this season he never will.

6. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Not necessarily but if it comes out that they were on the outs, we can at least hold Philbin to his previous comments.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm with ya brother, but always concerned about the future..

The questions being raised that I have concerns with...are these players, did these players come together in spite of the coach, and are the mistakes we've seen from a coaching perspective ( bucs, bills, panthers) giving that theory some credence?

Are the mistakes by Ireland, (strapping Philbin with some players that the coach did not wanna play), the miss evals along the oline, and the obvious public misses on gates, Les brown, and Steinbach is enough to overlook a young team that may hit up a 10 and 6 record who beat three teams that will be in the same tournament.

Winning changes things..my main concern is that I want a coach where the players want to win for him as much as themselves.

toto likes this.
  8. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Un ****ing real..I knew someone would crap all over this win. Embarrasing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

GMJohnson likes this.
  9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

These days, no team does that.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Well I believe that coach had his choice between Jennings and Wallace..I believe he agreed to go after Wallace..to think the coach didn't agree into that acquisition is not logical.

toto and MrClean like this.
  11. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Not what I said but take from it what you will.

12. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Those of you who want to look at the fact that Miami is 4-2 in their past 6 games and use that as a reason to keep Jeff Ireland, answer me this.

After starting 0-7 in 2011, the team was 4-2 over the next 6 games under Tony Sparano. If it is enough of a reason to keep Jeff, why was it not enough to keep Tony? In fact, that team finished the season on a 6-3 run.

ASOT likes this.
  13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If we had beat Seattle the same way we beat the Steelers I imagine the narrative today would be, "Its not like we beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh in the snow."

gunn34 likes this.
  14. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    What's embarrassing is your hyperbole. No one is "crapping all over this win." It was an impressive win under tough conditions. What I am saying is that it's not an unmistakable indicator that the team has turned the corner and is heading to the playoffs. It's not enough, by itself, to show me that Ireland has done enough personnel wise to improve this team. If and when we make the playoffs, then I will reconsider Ireland. We've gone 7-9 before. If we do it again this season, I see no reason to retain Ireland. 8-8 likewise. If we go worse than 9-7 he should be fired.

ASOT, MonstBlitz and MrClean like this.
  15. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    It is not logical to think that he was on board with the signing, knowing how he wanted to build through the draft, is against calling plays designed to get one receiver the ball, and knowing just how poor of a fit Mike Wallace was in this system before the signing was made. Look at his numbers. Josh Gordon has almost as many yards in his past 3 games as Mike Wallace has all year. He's getting paid 2nd round pick money.

ASOT likes this.
  16. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    No, it would be "we beat the best team in the NFC, we're going to the playoffs."

17. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    If we go 10-6 and make the playoffs, he should still be fired.

18. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Frankly, I'd love to see Ireland gone, and replaced. It's obvious he has a huge blind spot in rounds 2-4, and that's simply not acceptable. I think he does a solid job w/ #1 picks, and is pretty adept at picking up acorns in later rounds, better than most IMO, but we are missing out on some critical rounds where there is a lot of talent that could be had. You just can't do that. Rounds 2-4 are money rounds, and he's coming up broke.

Now, all that said, I think we're given a choice as fans at this point. We can either hope for 2-3 more wins, and a playoff appearance, or we can hope the team tanks simply for the hope that Ireland will be fired, and we can ultimately take a step forward next year w/ a quality GM.

Me? I want 10-6 and at least a first-round playoff victory. If that means we have to deal w/ Ireland going forward, than so be it. I want playoffs, darn it! And, then, hire are scout or two that can specialize in those rounds 2-4 to help Ireland see what he's been missing.

19. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Who knows anyone that always makes the right decision? Enough good ones to overweight the bad should be appreciated to a point. Not sticking with one and moving on constantly trying to improve is a good thing in my book.

Now if Ireland said I picked Henne we will swim or die because I chose that player. I would be on the band wagon of getting a new GM. You cannot predict the future of players actions but you can sure rotate them out and try to improve if they lame duck you and I believe this is being done. I see constant change even though I might have had high hopes for some of the players that have been let go.

20. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    I think its worth mentioning the OLine has played better WITHOUT Incognito and his strip club meetings, but with having a more professional way of doing business. I don't think there is any coincidence in this, but the fact its being run better without him around.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Why is it hard to believe that Philbin didn't grade on such a small scale as "yes" or "no" on those players? Isn't it likely, he could have preferred one over the other but not be super upset with either? Is it really so crazy or illogical to think Philbin and his staff graded both players and maybe (for example) Jennings gets a B and Wallace gets a C....and that's what they told Ireland but Ireland being the speed lover we know he is went Wallace? Let me know if I'm just completely crazy here.

22. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    I see that makes good sense there.

23. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    And it wasn't mid-season. The rumors started only two weeks before the end of the season, and the famous press-conference where he said "I am not going to be the Alabama coach" was IIRC the end-of-season presser.

24. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Bc clearly everything needs to be as black and white as possible to keep the alleged riff between Philbin and Ireland as wide as it can be.

If it becomes public knowledge that they were even close to being on the same page well then that would just be lunacy.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Do sh&$y qbs factor into your advanced analytics when factoring in receiving numbers.?

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    What's logical is the GM understanding the inside info his coaching staff had on a player that was Wallace's #1 competition..what's logical is they told him not to go after Jennings...just like I'm sure they told him not to go after Flynn.

27. MrClean

Of course it's not logical. Not everyone applies logic to their thinking. Look how many people are sheeple to organized religions for example.

28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If the HC doesn't think player X can play at a certain position then that's fine, but it's the GM's call. Haven't we had enough HC/GM's, Jimmy, Wanny, Saban, that's the setup you want to have? Not me. Blaming the Bucs loss on the fake ***'d controversy is just as ridiculous as saying we've gone 4-2 because of the fake ***'d controversy.

Agreed. But just b/c Philbin has an opinion on a player doesn't mean the GM has to accommodate him every time. For example, we were fine at DE/OLB coming into the draft but we had a weak spot at OT, and I don't think Ireland needed Philbin to tell him that. Instead of going after an OT Ireland chose to trade up for Dion Jordan and instead of giving up a 2nd round pick for Albert Ireland signed Clabo off the street. That left us with a problem at OT and those problems bit us in the *** for the first 6-7 weeks of the season, no doubt about it. However, now we have a blue chip DE prospect to go along with Wake and an emerging DE in Olivier Vernon, forming one of the better pass rush trios in the entire league.

29. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Tannehill looking at the 4000 yd mark shows me something is doing ok. Point is they have added or kept multiple targets and the TE is benefiting from Wallace being on the field.

30. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I don't know how anyone can look at Ireland's drafts and think he honestly deserves to be the GM here anymore. I would love to get the stink of Parcells horrid tenure here off of this organization for good so we can move on. I think the idea of returning Philbin with a new GM and some changes to the coaching staff is a good one. If a new GM is just deadset on a new coach so be it, I can live with that too. But Ireland getting another draft to waste and another chance to take up salary cap space to try and save his job just disgusts me. The bar should be set much higher here than what Ireland can provide. He's made enough money here and burned enough bridges, he needs to go.

ASOT likes this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    no, things need to be reassessed.

32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    :up: but :crapstrom:

33. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Wait so signing a rehabbing OL from an ACL tear and a gap blocker for a zone system is setting him up for success? Letting Jake Long walk for Jon martin is setting him up for success? And before anyone says Long isnt good, hes still rated as a top 5 tackle. How is that helping?

Also Ireland did not bring in Sherman. Coaches pick their staff not GM's. Philbin coached with Sherman while Philbin was a Graduate Assistant at Tulane after playing for Sherman at Worcester Academy. That is why Sherman was hired. That he was Tannehills coach at A&M just made it all the more convenient.

Taylor, Davis, and Dallas Thomas have barely played all year and Jordan was too hurt to start the year. All of those guys barely played and injury had a lot to do with it, some of those were pre-existing. It doesnt make it a permanent failure but anytime you get almost no contribution from 4 top picks aside from what Jordan has given thats a failure for at least that year.

34. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    This is really what it comes down to. If you're content with Ireland than you just have REALLY low standards. What does it say that he's been here 6 years and 90% of the fanbase either wants him gone or doesn't really care if he stays or goes?

35. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Past two drafts have produced:

Ryan Tannehill
    Mike Pouncey
    Olivier Vernon
    Charles Clay
    Lamar Miller
    Jimmy Wilson
    Rishard Matthews

Not hard to look at the players drafted over those two seasons and believe the GM should be retained.

36. MrClean

IF...Philbin did grade Jennings a B, and Wallace a C, and JI still pursued Wallace, then that would be wrong headed on JI's part. I see no conclusive evidence to indicate Philbin did apply a higher free agent grade on Jennings than Wallace though. It looks like speculation to me.

37. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If they disagree on a player here or there then I think that's pretty normal. If they disagree on the overall direction of the team then that's an issue. But all Ive seen to this point is media people playing up divisions to get some clicks and as Stringer said, Firelanders seizing that info and using in to back stop their weak ***'d arguements.

38. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know how anyone can look at Ireland's draft picks and think they're particularly bad. You can't have a framework for what a reasonable success rate or level of talent acquisition looks like and suggest it's really bad.

He's got problems, but "pee pee doo doo he is a bad GM" isn't it.

39. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah. 4 losing seasons in the past 5 years is a weak argument. Name me another GM that kept his job with that track record.

ASOT likes this.
  40. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I cant believe what I am reading some of you Ireland followers are in denial . we just barely won and now we are a great team. Pleas stop smoking crack Ireland deserves to be fired and he isn't the reason we are wining.

we just barely won yesterday and if our team was that good we would have punched the ball into the endzone instead of nearly giving the game away.

if Ireland stays then I hope we lose every game next year because we wont be this lucky next year. Ireland is horrible and hoping he stays is like hoping to be average

ASOT likes this.