Salguero: Philbin gaining major respect as a talent evaluator

47 replies

azfinfanmangazfinfanmangLuxury Box
Apr 3, 2013, 05:11 PM

"shula_guy wrote:

1. I will hold off declaring this offseason as good or bad until I see them play.

2. If Ireland is absolved of his past picks because he was saddled with bad coaching then I see no reason to praise him now if these moves work out. He is merely benefitting from better coaching.

3. What he does get credit/blame for is cap managment.

Yep, I agree. Hand it to Arm-and-Oh to pass out grades before the test has ever been taken.

I like the philosophy Philbin seems to bring, and I believe in his building chemistry through good character. I think that is often over-looked, but until they actually lace em up and play, no way anybody can pass out a grade yet.

Apr 3, 2013, 05:15 PM

The GM makes all of the decisions, bottom line. I think Armando's point was that the previous coaches haven't been very helpful. That doesn't take away from who had the responsibility and who gets the credit when it goes right (or wrong). Same is still true.

I think the most interesting note is that Philbin seems to believe he didn't really get too involved in the personnel efforts a year ago and that he's a lot more heavily involved this year. It may explains a few things. And no I absolutely do not mean that all failures last year were Ireland's and all successes as Philbin's. Hell I still think Michael Egnew could pan out, and I consider it pretty likely that B.J. Cunningham (my least favorite pick in that Draft) had a backer amongst the coaching staff.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

invidinvidSupporter
Apr 3, 2013, 05:17 PM

Philbin might have been using last year to strictly assess who he liked on his inherited roster, while still trying to win on the way.

emocomputerjockemocomputerjockNew Member
Apr 3, 2013, 05:18 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Incidentally on Twitter, Armando just outright attributed the Michael Egnew pick to the personnel department not the coaches. Interesting.

This would mean Omar was wrong, which wouldn't be surprising at all. But at the same time, Mando could be wrong, which also would not be surprising. I'm sure I can find a way to harness infinite power from this paradox, be right back.


Many thanks to the awesome staff and members of the site, all of whom contribute tirelessly to an incredible Dolphins fansite.

Ronnie BassRonnie BassLuxury Box
Apr 3, 2013, 05:30 PM

Love it love it love it....Philbin might be the best that has happen to this franchise since the arrival of Marino, and I'm dead serious.

Well there is JT and Zach, but you get my drift.

Apr 3, 2013, 05:33 PM

"invid wrote:

Philbin might have been using last year to strictly assess who he liked on his inherited roster, while still trying to win on the way.

Yeah he could've meant he wasn't really involved in free agency last year but may have been more involved in the draft. At the time he made the comment about being more involved this year, he was pretty balls deep in free agency so it'd make sense if that's what he meant.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Apr 3, 2013, 05:51 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Yeah he could've meant he wasn't really involved in free agency last year but may have been more involved in the draft. At the time he made the comment about being more involved this year, he was pretty balls deep in free agency so it'd make sense if that's what he meant.

One thing to also consider he was busy building his staff during a lot of the early offseason last year.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Apr 3, 2013, 05:58 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

One thing to also consider he was busy building his staff during a lot of the early offseason last year.

Yup. That's a very good point.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Apr 3, 2013, 06:02 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

The GM makes all of the decisions, bottom line. I think Armando's point was that the previous coaches haven't been very helpful. That doesn't take away from who had the responsibility and who gets the credit when it goes right (or wrong). Same is still true.

I think the most interesting note is that Philbin seems to believe he didn't really get too involved in the personnel efforts a year ago and that he's a lot more heavily involved this year. It may explains a few things. And no I absolutely do not mean that all failures last year were Ireland's and all successes as Philbin's. Hell I still think Michael Egnew could pan out, and I consider it pretty likely that B.J. Cunningham (my least favorite pick in that Draft) had a backer amongst the coaching staff.

....unless the GM has someone over him paid the big bucks to make all the decisions.

dWreckdWreckNew Member
Apr 3, 2013, 06:11 PM

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:

I thought I was VP? Or did we over throw Fin D making me acting prez?Either way, I think Philbin's grocery list is top notch and Jeff is succeeding at fulfilling it. I'm so excited about the Dolphins for be first time in a half dozen years.

You were vp. Then fin D bounced because he has duties elsewhere as the pope of church Philbin. Which bumped you to standing prez and me to VP. Huzzah


The KRAKEN! Still proving doubters wrong on the weekly.
Get well soon Tanny. #ThatsMyQB

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Apr 3, 2013, 06:29 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

The interesting thing about this is that Philbin himself said that he wasn't very involved in the personnel acquisition phase last year and he's been a lot more involved this year.

After getting 4s, 5s and 6s Philbin said, that's enough! Time to do it myself!

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Apr 3, 2013, 07:00 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

After getting 4s, 5s and 6s Philbin said, that's enough! Time to do it myself!

Philbin doesn't have any personnel power.

jdang307jdang307Supporter
Apr 3, 2013, 07:08 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

Philbin doesn't have any personnel power.

Neither does Ireland if we are to believe some people

(and yes I know, you're not getting the point).

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Apr 3, 2013, 09:21 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

I like that article, I can easily see sparano telling Parcells we need to get Jerry after the senior bowl, thus overruling Ireland, same freakin thing with henning in Parcells ear about Henne, you know that fat fu&$ listened to that uncommitted phony.

This is why some stuck up for Ireland, because it was just not a fair platform to perform the duties, not a normal situation in terms of what a GM usually inherits when getting the position..

I'm happy for Ireland that Salguero at least touched on this very important subject, I hope we continue to find out what and who was responsible for what..I'm glad someone is cognizant of at least getting to the bottom of some of these deep rooted questions, someone truly needs to call out the scam for which Parcells was, and how that practically ruined a man and his family, maybe all the good things that were said about Ireland amongst NFL personnel depts were on point.

I'm very excited about the changes this franchise is trying to make, because really the brand, the perception of the Miami dolphins was in dire straits, all these changes to me are coming at the right time, we needed to rock the perception, and I believe we have, and it's seemingly gaining some strength with our new working relationship with coach/GM..

I believe Ireland has a chance in this draft to go mid evil..there a few homerun directions, lets hope he hits them, because the ball is being lobbed to the plate..

Well, as much as I have supported Ireland from the beginning for many of the reasons stated, his draft last year (outside of Tannehill and maybe Miller) looks to be pretty average when it's said and done.
But, if we can get a starting CB and starting RT from this draft to go with our free agents, then it will be hard for anyone to knock Ireland.

testing

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Apr 3, 2013, 10:18 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

I'm not really sure what this means. You can't really attribute specific personnel decisions to him that have really been successes or failures, unless of course you're one of those people still lighting tiny votive candles for Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis.

maybe some of that skillset is recognizing cancerous players to the locker room, and a feel for dynamics inside a locker room?

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Apr 3, 2013, 10:22 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

Well, as much as I have supported Ireland from the beginning for many of the reasons stated, his draft last year (outside of Tannehill and maybe Miller) looks to be pretty average when it's said and done.
But, if we can get a starting CB and starting RT from this draft to go with our free agents, then it will be hard for anyone to knock Ireland.

last years draft is to early to call average..Vern, Miller, Tannehill could work it out above average.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Apr 3, 2013, 10:29 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

last years draft is to early to call average..Vern, Miller, Tannehill could work it out above average.

I'm projecting, but with the caveat that I do belive Tannehill is the real deal, so that would automatically make it a decent draft. If Miller turns out to be a good starting RB, then it obviously is a good draft. Rounds 3+ I think fall off quite a bit.

testing

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Apr 3, 2013, 10:31 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

Yes Philbin seems pretty shrewd. Let's see how this works out. I can't wait to see the draft.

Well I liked Coach Sparano so my view on Philbin may have the halo effect attached to it

However, as much as Sparano was rah-rah, Philbin seems from the Dungy model, when it comes to business of football he is totally a professional and will call it like he sees it.

ADAdamC13New Member
Apr 4, 2013, 12:01 AM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

Philbin sniffed out Matt Flynn when everyone else wanted to break the bank for him, everyone thought it would be Greg Jennings not Mike Wallace who would be a great fit in Miami.

Thus far I think Joe and Jeff have teamed up to make some solid football decisions, decisions that will make us the class of the AFC East for a long time.

Interesting misperception about what happened:

(On not pursuing Matt Flynn as aggressively as the media thought) - “I think we made an aggressive push. We got him in here relatively quickly. Again, we had a great meeting. Matt (Flynn) and I had some conversations, a number of conversations prior to his arrival to Miami. We had some subsequent ones after. He’d probably be able to give you better answer as to why he chose to go elsewhere. All I know is when we were together the visit was excellent. I thought he got along very well with our offensive staff. He and I obviously have a relationship together. Excited for him and wish him all the best and I think he’ll do a fine job.”
(On Matt Flynn selecting Seattle over Miami) - “Again, you need to ask Matt Flynn why he’s in Seattle. There’s a myriad factors that go into why people make decisions about their own future, which is their prerogative. And clubs have their own prerogative as to how they are going to decide to move forward. And so again, it always takes two people to get a marriage and so I wish him well. He’s a great young man. But he’s better to ask why he’s in Seattle.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/03/everything-joe-philbin-told-the-media.html#storylink=cpy

Jeff Fisher wasn't hired although he was apparently Miami's #1 choice as HC b/c he wanted final say in personnel decisions, but there is still this believe that when coach Philbin was hired Jeff Ireland turned over final say in personnel decisions, contract negotiations and managing the salary cap upon being hired? Unbelievable...

WhiteIbanezWhiteIbanezNew Member
Apr 4, 2013, 12:10 AM

"AdamC13 wrote:

Interesting misperception about what happened:

(On not pursuing Matt Flynn as aggressively as the media thought) - “I think we made an aggressive push. We got him in here relatively quickly. Again, we had a great meeting. Matt (Flynn) and I had some conversations, a number of conversations prior to his arrival to Miami. We had some subsequent ones after. He’d probably be able to give you better answer as to why he chose to go elsewhere. All I know is when we were together the visit was excellent. I thought he got along very well with our offensive staff. He and I obviously have a relationship together. Excited for him and wish him all the best and I think he’ll do a fine job.”
(On Matt Flynn selecting Seattle over Miami) - “Again, you need to ask Matt Flynn why he’s in Seattle. There’s a myriad factors that go into why people make decisions about their own future, which is their prerogative. And clubs have their own prerogative as to how they are going to decide to move forward. And so again, it always takes two people to get a marriage and so I wish him well. He’s a great young man. But he’s better to ask why he’s in Seattle.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/03/everything-joe-philbin-told-the-media.html#storylink=cpy

Jeff Fisher wasn't hired although he was apparently Miami's #1 choice as HC b/c he wanted final say in personnel decisions, but there is still this believe that when coach Philbin was hired Jeff Ireland turned over final say in personnel decisions, contract negotiations and managing the salary cap upon being hired? Unbelievable...

It's good to see them working together well now. Philbin and Ireland.

WhiteIbanezWhiteIbanezNew Member
Apr 4, 2013, 12:14 AM

"padre31 wrote:

Well I liked Coach Sparano so my view on Philbin may have the halo effect attached to it

However, as much as Sparano was rah-rah, Philbin seems from the Dungy model, when it comes to business of football he is totally a professional and will call it like he sees it.

The stoic approach doesn't bother me if he has the team and they buy in.

HellionHellionSupporter
Apr 4, 2013, 12:24 AM

His personality and manorisims reminds me of Walsh, and no i am not saying he is as good as Walsh or will be or anything else that will make people give the ole (you seriously comparing the two) crowd.

But my fingers are crossed for Walsh like success. :yes:

ASOTASOTNew Member
Apr 4, 2013, 06:49 AM

"Disgustipate wrote:

Philbin doesn't have any personnel power.

Well he probably has some "power behind the Throne" power, if you get what I mean.