Salguero: Philbin gaining major respect as a talent evaluator

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Serpico Jones, Apr 3, 2013.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    maybe some of that skillset is recognizing cancerous players to the locker room, and a feel for dynamics inside a locker room?

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    last years draft is to early to call average..Vern, Miller, Tannehill could work it out above average.

3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm projecting, but with the caveat that I do belive Tannehill is the real deal, so that would automatically make it a decent draft. If Miller turns out to be a good starting RB, then it obviously is a good draft. Rounds 3+ I think fall off quite a bit.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well I liked Coach Sparano so my view on Philbin may have the halo effect attached to it

However, as much as Sparano was rah-rah, Philbin seems from the Dungy model, when it comes to business of football he is totally a professional and will call it like he sees it.

5. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Interesting misperception about what happened:

(On not pursuing Matt Flynn as aggressively as the media thought) - “I think we made an aggressive push. We got him in here relatively quickly. Again, we had a great meeting. Matt (Flynn) and I had some conversations, a number of conversations prior to his arrival to Miami. We had some subsequent ones after. He’d probably be able to give you better answer as to why he chose to go elsewhere. All I know is when we were together the visit was excellent. I thought he got along very well with our offensive staff. He and I obviously have a relationship together. Excited for him and wish him all the best and I think he’ll do a fine job.”
    (On Matt Flynn selecting Seattle over Miami) - “Again, you need to ask Matt Flynn why he’s in Seattle. There’s a myriad factors that go into why people make decisions about their own future, which is their prerogative. And clubs have their own prerogative as to how they are going to decide to move forward. And so again, it always takes two people to get a marriage and so I wish him well. He’s a great young man. But he’s better to ask why he’s in Seattle.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...joe-philbin-told-the-media.html#storylink=cpy

Jeff Fisher wasn't hired although he was apparently Miami's #1 choice as HC b/c he wanted final say in personnel decisions, but there is still this believe that when coach Philbin was hired Jeff Ireland turned over final say in personnel decisions, contract negotiations and managing the salary cap upon being hired? Unbelievable...

6. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    It's good to see them working together well now. Philbin and Ireland.

7. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    The stoic approach doesn't bother me if he has the team and they buy in.

8. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    His personality and manorisims reminds me of Walsh, and no i am not saying he is as good as Walsh or will be or anything else that will make people give the ole (you seriously comparing the two) crowd.

But my fingers are crossed for Walsh like success. :yes:

Marco likes this.
  9. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Well he probably has some "power behind the Throne" power, if you get what I mean.