1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanchez in Jets Preseason Victory: 38-27

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by Bpk, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Well, Sanchez looked much better this time out.

His stat line:

5/5 67 yards 1 TD 0 INTS

Only one drive, but he showed me enough. Good touch, good timing, good zip. Also, he was told he'd only get ONE drive. He made sure he scored on it. That tells me a bit about his mentality when he 'must' score in a limited opportunity. That may mean he functions well in clutch situations mentally as well. You know, times when he only has one chance or one play to get what the Jets need.

Anyways, Jets looked okay. Hopefully the Dolphins will be even better than the Jets. Looking like the AFC East will be a wild shootout this year.

gafinfan and azfinfanmang like this.
  2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I watched the Jests, Gints replay yesterday.

The kid is proving me wrong, and already looks much better than he did at USC IMO.

Its gonna kill me if Jabba got this one right :cry:

Sethdaddy8, Bpk and gafinfan like this.
  3. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I hate to say it but the kid looks like a keeper to me also. Good feet and a quick release.:wink2:

Bpk and azfinfanmang like this.
  4. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I will have to watch last nights game when the replay is out, but one thing that I DID notice is that he was constantly stairing down his reciever. If he does that with a serious blitz coming, lots of INT's are gonna happen.

I also think EVERYBODY is gonna blitz his *** till he shows he can overcome it.

5. gafinfan

I agree with everything you said esp. staring down his WRs (why do they all come outa college doing that!!!:shifty: ) But when he makes his mind up its gone!!:yes:

6. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think he is going to be a good QB, but also defense are not showing to much yet either.

he will have his ups and downs this year.

gafinfan and Bpk like this.
  7. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Very exciting for a Jets fan! Possibly having the franchise QB we have longer for since Joe Willie. I'm not crowning him yet, but all the tools are there, and he has a great mentality, and has made significant strides ever since that awful beginning to the Ravens game.

Phil Simms already said Sanchez has the best footwork of any QB currently in the NFL, he might just be right. Always making little side steps to avoid the oncoming pressure but always with his eyes down the field, not on the blitz. VERY impressive.

Anyway go Mark & go Jets!!! The AFC E should be great this year!! Looking forward to it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    He threw five passes. Big deal.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I like Sanchez and his footwork but whatever happened to Peyton Manning? Did Simms not watch him his entire career? I don't know if there is a better QB in a long time that can step up in the pocket and keep his eyes on the field better than Manning. I like Sanchez but lets not go overboard here IMO.

If Chad Henne throws five passes, every Dolphins fan around the world gets a hard-on.

No offense but be honest dude, it means something for fans who have longed for a quarterback. We're one of those fans. ;)

gafinfan, PS17 and Bpk like this.
  10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Actually I've been a little critical of Henne even on his good days, because of the way he doesn't appear to feel the rush.

My point isnt that Sanchez sucks. It's that lots of players look good for five passes. It doesn't change what I thought about him coming out, or that he struggled badly his first two games. Obviously if he continues it into the regular season that turns heads.

My point isnt to knock the performance, but rather to question where it fits into the overall puzzle.

Bpk likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Doesn't mean you didn't have a smile on your face when Henne looked good. :)

I agree there. It doesn't change my thoughts on his game either but it does make you wonder if he will reach his potential. Yes, its only five passes but its a step in building his confidence. Its a part of the overall puzzle of a young quarterback, if I may quote you.
    :up:

Bpk and Alex44 like this.
  12. Bpk

It's certainly a piece of the puzzle that looks promising, rather than negative, for Jets fans.

Which makes me less happy.

BleedinGreenNC and PS17 like this.
  13. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC

I completely agree about Peyton Manning. I think he has the best footwork right now. I think Sanchez can only improve, and he looks pretty good moving around right now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

14. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I think the thread title is extremely mis-leading for what its worth.

If he doesnt learn how to look at more than one target, he is really really going to have a tough time once defences start actually playing instead of this pre-season stuff generic stuff. :up:

He has looked much better than I thought he would, but we will see what happens. Pre-Season and Regular Season are night and day :up:

Bpk likes this.
  15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, I think Sanchez has a pretty good future ahead of him if they keep him upright and he doesn't melt mentally, which I would say is a high possibility for a guy who hasn't had a lot of experience in college or the NFL (obviously). His footwork, I felt, was the best coming out. He can roll to the left and right flats and make the throw without any issues or at least that's what I've noticed from watching a couple tapes in college. He's got very good short to intermediate accuracy but does struggle down field. I think that 48 yard pass that he had in his first pre-season game wasn't a fluke but I think it may be something that tricks fans. I feel that he's an inconsistent down field thrower, as he often over-throws his target. Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Donovan McNabb after his injuries and the Super Bowl year. McNabb's a pretty damn good quarterback in my opinion but he does get erratic with his accuracy, specifically when throwing down field and I see a lot of that in Mark Sanchez.

A few other issues stood out to me with Sanchez in college is his inability to look off the defensive back or linebacker when making throws to his target, which azfinfanmang also pointed out earlier. I know that's an issue with just about every quarterback coming out so its a flawed thought on my part but I don't think you can just ignore things like that. That's a skill that I feel is underrated because when you're locking on your guys, you're going to lose possession. Maybe decades ago it wasn't an issue but when you have safeties with 4.4 speed and great lateral speed/range, its a bit tough to complete the pass unless you have a rocket arm, which I don't think Sanchez does.

The second thing that could be a problem is his ability to read defenses. I think its safe to say that it wasn't as difficult - I don't want to say it was easy and simple - to complete many passes at USC. They run a pro offense which seemed to be like a WCO last year, with many sideline and slant patterns designed for Patrick Turner - something I think the Dolphins need to do more of. I think Sanchez had a lot of talent on his team to make up for his inexperience and now he's coming to the NFL and is asked to make three or four reads against a heavy blitz defense for example. He has to point out which direction linebackers are coming from but its not that easy when you have a team lined up in their base defense and then you snap the ball, its suddenly a zone blitz with their nose tackle dropping in zone coverage in the middle of the field or you have a defensive end/linebacker zone exchange, where the DE takes a step forward to fake a pass rush, drops back in coverage and the linebacker blitzes off the edge. He's going to have to pick those things up. I think that's what rattled him against Baltimore.

Last, the pocket. He's shown some good stuff in terms of stepping up in the pocket but he's also shown some Trent Edwards in his game - what I mean is I've seen Edwards have the pocket collapse from the outside and instead of stepping up, he tries to circle the pass rusher to get to the flats and avoid the pressure. He had a very clean pocket at USC. Now he's facing once again heavy blitz teams that are going to rush him, force him into making uncomfortable throws and make him beat them with his arm because they'll game plan for stopping the run. Sanchez is bound to throw passes of his back foot, I think just about every young quarterback does that. He's going to make mistakes and there will be growing pains but I think what's most important from that is how he comes back the following week. He's going to see some of the same looks that he saw in the previous week in which he struggled in so how does he adjust to that same defense? Did he do his homework? Is his confidence still high? If not, that's dangerous and scary for you as a head coach. You don't want him questioning himself. Its probably why Matthew Stafford may pan out. I don't like Stafford much to be honest, I actually had him ranked below Sanchez in terms of overall talent, but he's got that cockiness and high confidence. He throws an INT and then he comes back and makes a 50 yard pass to Calvin Johnson, splitting two defensive backs. He's not rattled so easily, I think its something to look for in Sanchez. If he melts under pressure and when he makes mistakes, his future is probably not going to look too bright IMO.

16. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Good scouting report, I'm impressed.

He has shown that he can respond from pressure. After the abysmal start against Baltimore, he led the offense on an 80+ yard TD drive culminating with a good 20 yard strike to Leon Washington. That was a big positive to see that he can respond to a little adversity. It will be interesting to say the least to see how Sanchez plays out this rookie season.

17. gafinfan

Not to take the thread off topic (because really it isn't) Watching Matty Ice and then Sanchez I really feel Sanchez will end up the better of the two. BTW I feel we will see this in the very first week of this season. :wink2:

BleedinGreenNC likes this.
  18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thank you. :)

Yeah, I recall that drive. That looked good for Jets fans. I think every bit of success is vital to his confidence but I will say that this is the season of vanilla or so it seems to be. Not all defenses have brought out all their fronts - other than maybe GB, who I think has shown just about everything lol.

19. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Probably the most ridiculous thing Ive read all year.

I think Sanchez may be better than I was hoping. But he probably won't be good enough to appease Jet fans. Pennington was a very good qb. Jet fans crapped all over him. I can see Sanchez being a very good qb but just not good enough for Jet fans. I don't think Peyton Manning probably would'nt be good enough for such self-saboteurs.

20. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    Says the fan of the team that has crapped on every Qb not named Marino.

21. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Because they all sucked until you guys gift wrapped Pennington.

22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I felt that Sanchez was a good prospect coming out and I remember saying that to 124 on a few occassions. But I am surprised by how good he's looked already. I expected him to struggle this year (he still might) be dumped by an impatient Jet's fan base and then turn out to be pretty good for another team.

23. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    This statement drives me nuts. The Miami fans called Chad "noodle arm' when he was a Jet...Now he is your savior?

24. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    he had the taint of green on him then...now its different.

25. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Hmm...next time I need scouting advice, I'll come to Sethdaddy8 from thephins.com over a Super Bowl MVP Quarterback. Watch the friggin tape. Sanchez has GREAT footwork, and if you looked at it in an objective way, you would see that. Pennington was not a very good quarterback. He is mediocre. Injury prone his whole career. Never wins against elite defenses.
    Posted via Mobile Device

26. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    don't find those sour grapes very tasty do ya ?? its ok we love Penny he finally has some fans who appreciate him.

27. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    I'm glad you appreciate him. He always gave his all and I DID appreciate him for that. It was just time to move in our separate directions, and he found something that works in Miami. I'm happy for the guy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

28. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    Your in the minority.. many of your peers bashed him even when he was kicking our asses year in and year out...good for you.

PS17 likes this.
  29. Bpk

I can see what you mean, Az. I included the score so people knew which game I meant, otherwise people might think it was the old Ravens-Jets game. I also didn;t want a super long thread title including both teams' names, and sanchez as qb.

Sorry if it mislead you. It's not intended to make it sound like Sanchez played a lot duing the 'victory'.

Hope Sanchez struggles a little bit this season... rookies are supposed to!

azfinfanmang likes this.
  30. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Its all good my friend...its all good. :up:

Bpk likes this.
  31. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Wow he scored on the Giants Backup D!

Thats because they've all been **** except for Penny.

32. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    Hmmm...Fins fans claimed Chad was ****ty compared to C-Pep and Fiedler..

33. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    not the ones on this site.

34. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    Sure...

I am sure that no one from FH is here...

35. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    I LOL'd a bit on that one. It's true though, but there's a reason we took a huge pile on them. They were mostly hacks.

36. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    *sticks hand up* I was anti-Pennington when he was signed, but truth be told he was way better than Luke McCown. I only saw little of what he did only against Miami back when he was with the Jets and I have gone to games where I'd seen him play so I guess that was a microcosm of his actual abilities. I only knew of his noodle-arm-rainbow-throws that should have been picked off that weren't which fueled my hatred towards him.

He did well last season and it sucks to have done all that and was outed Rnd 1 of the playoffs (to a superior Ravens team), nonetheless, I'm happy we have him. If it weren't for him who knows how last year would have panned out. I was eating crow quite a bit last season.

azfinfanmang and Bpk like this.
  37. Zeke0123

Nov 22, 2007
    sure there are but the cream of the FH crop came here and despite my dislike for everything jets when a guy is good you have to admit it regardless od prejudice...I hated Pennington with a passion he owned us...but I still respected his skill..something few jet fans seem to do.