1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw V

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by ILPhinFan88, May 14, 2008.

1. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Lionsgate quietly revealed their official synopsis, via their press site, for the upcoming Saw V:

In the fifth installment of the SAW franchise, Hoffman is seemingly the last person alive to carry on the Jigsaw legacy. But when his secret is threatened, Hoffman must go on the hunt to eliminate all loose ends.

Hoffman, for those following along this franchise's oh-so-delicate plotline, is played by Costas Mandylor. In casting news, actors Carlo Rota (The Boondock Saints), Greg Bryk (A History of Violence) and Laura Gordon joined this fifth installment arriving in theaters October 24th. David Hackl directs.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=6065

2. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    I'll be there. I just love this franchise and while it's seemingly starting to fade, I just can't let go.

3. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not a big fan, but I've like some aspects of the franchise. But like anything else it just gets dilluted the more you see of it. I'm a big Halloween fan but I find a lot of it to be stale. I guess they are making enough money off of it to keep going.

4. ILPhinFan88

Yeah, they have already named the new director for SAW VI

ShockTillYouDrop.com talked to Saw V director David Hackl on Wednesday who revealed that Kevin Greutert will be making his feature directorial debut on Saw VI.

Greutert has served as editor on all the five "Saw" films and edited The Strangers, opening May 30th, as well.

Saw V is scheduled for an October 24, 2008 release. You can find more info on that installment here.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45009

5. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I like the franchise, and the fact that a new movie comes out annually makes it retain some continuity. I recently watched all 4 DVDs over a two day span and it was quite the disturbing experience, the larger story that unfolded from the combination of all four movies overshadowed the individual films.

6. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    They'll keep making these if they keep making money or it's impossible to expand... I think this franchise will be going for a while...

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I thought they should've ended it after the first one. I dont think they came close to capturing the essence of the 'Jigsaw Killer' in any of the sequels.

That first film was so Hitch****ian (profanity filter) in the way it was made. The sequels seemed a little cheesy. Saw II had its moments, but using a diff director for each film caused the franchise to lose some of that continuity of which you speak IMO.

8. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    The same director would have made the story more fluid yes, but the different director's interpretations of Jigsaw are interesting. I love the way IV went right back to II for most of the story's meat and taters.

9. ILPhinFan88

And now, kiddies, a very important message from Twisted Pictures' Mark Burg: "This movie is thematically all about cooperation, about learning to work with people, not just by yourself. You can accomplish more with a partner or a teammate in life."

You'd think he was talking about some upcoming family fare. Think again. Who says there's nothing educational to glean from the Saw franchise? That's right. Burg, who has overseen every Saw film with partner Oren Koules, speaks of the latest chapter, Saw V, which is hitting theaters on October 24th.

Hackl beams with pride when he tells us there are seven sadistic traps on display in his chapter. And if you thought the opening of IV was gruesome (Viva La Autopsy!), "Our opening is...it's something," smiles Hackl. "People turn away in the editing room when they come in and see it. Our composer, Charlie Clouser, can't even watch it."

"The traps we have in this movie are simple but scary and spooky as all hell," Burg adds. "One requirement with the traps is that they have to be anything you can buy at the Home Depot."

Fans can rest assured part five, written once again by Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton, will move the film forward rather than in a lateral direction - such as what Saw IV did. "I think we made it a little too complex," reflects Burg. "To this day I still hear people who didn't get that it happened at the same time [as part III]. Maybe we didn't do a good enough job in executing it, in all honesty. But Saw V is a little be more linear, easier to follow. We'll have two great twists at the end. My hats off to Patrick and Marcus, I don't know how they do it."

What I liked about Saw IV is that you got to see why Jigsaw went nuts," Mandylor says, exuding his appreciation for how Hoffman has evolved from a man of the law to a disciple of Jigsaw (Tobin Bell reprising his role). "In part V you get to see why I get dragged into it, why I catch [Jigsaw's] eye and why I get ****ed up. And it's a pretty good reason. All I know is that everyone dies and I live and I'm very grateful for it."

In Saw V, Hoffman's allegiance to Jigsaw is threatened to be made public and the detective is forced to "eliminate all loose ends." "I get some really good heavy scenes with Tobin," the actor adds. "That was good for me because I get into his head, to see how he began. All I did was learn from [Bell]. He would call me for little rehearsals. It's more than knowing just the lines, it about getting into his brain."

Mandylor concedes he'll return for Saw VI ("There will be death," he whispers), a chapter that's already on the lips of the producers and will be directed by series editor Kevin Greutert.

"[Writers] Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan came in recently to discuss Saw VI," says Burg. "We end Saw V where you're like, 'Oh, f**k, what happens now?' We've got a great idea for Saw VI. We've got a great beginning, a couple of themes we want to play around with and we've got a great twist ending. So, now it's how do we get from A to B?"

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=6095

opfinistic likes this.
  10. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Call me a snob, but I haven't seen any of the Saw movies, nor do I plan to.

11. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Snob.

:tongue2:

If you ever want to be gorified, watch 'em. the above mentioned autopsy scene was probably the most horrific scene out of the entire franchise.

12. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I just think it takes a lot more work and ingenuity to scare people than to gross them out.

13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    god saw 4 sucked major ***......i mean i literally left that movie so pissed because of how horrible it was......some random new guy is the killer....the way he said "game over" at the end was laughable....

and maybe i missed this somewhere....but if 4 was at the same time as 3....why did donnie walhberg grow a beard in the same day??????? loose ends, that movie sucked....ill wait for dvd to rent 5.....maybe

14. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Some of the events in IV took place before III, but the endings occurred at the same time. I got lost on that a little bit when watching the film, but on my way home I started playing the events back in my head and then realized what happened. I do agree that they didn't do the best job in presenting that.

Having a new character take over was expected, but I'm kind of glad they avoided using Amanda as I felt that was the easy out.

A lot of the acting in the series has been pretty horrible, but so many actors are scared to due this type of movie because of type-casting that happens. Horror in general has been looked down upon as a category of film for so many years now. It's not like in the pre-80's when big name director's did horror movies and got the top acting talent.

15. ILPhinFan88

Lionsgate has released the first teaser poster for Saw V, opening in theaters October 24th. The IMDB got the exclusive first look; we've got a hi-res version to share with you.

In the fifth installment of the Saw franchise, Hoffman (Costas Mandylor) is seemingly the last person alive to carry on the Jigsaw legacy. But when his secret is threatened, Hoffman must go on the hunt to eliminate all loose ends. Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, Costas Mandylor, Scott Patterson and Mark Rolston star.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=6730

[​IMG]

16. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I love horror flicks, but the Saw movies just don't do it for me for some reason, just not a fan.

17. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    I still have to see the 4th movie. I've never even heard of any of the people you just mentioned in this thread :tongue2: