1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schedules of our likely competition for playoff spots

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by padre31, Nov 17, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm...thinking about this a bit more:

Jags have:

Phins
    Colts
    New England

Chances are good, unless Manning is rested, they lose 3 in a row, if we win out they will be effectively eliminated.

Ravens:

Green Bay
    Pittsburgh

We need them to lose both games

Steelers though, are on a 0-4 streak, and have lost to two of the worst teams in the AFC, the Chiefs and Raiders.

That leaves the Texans, who just hit 7 losses, also effectively eliminated them as well.

So looking at it, the Steelers and Ravens remain our main competition for the last WildCard slot, unless the Jags pull of the improbable.

As for the AFCE title:

Carolina is more than likely a W for the Pats, however there two remaining road games Buffalo and Houston, is our best chance of catching the patsies, they lose those two games and we are AFCE Champs.

Asuming of course we win our remaining 4 games, so basically if the Ravens lose tonight we control out own fate, if they win things become dicey at best.

2. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Was going to bed.....now Im gonna drag myself to the couch to nervously watch another 4 qtrs...because you all have me convinced the Pack has to win tonight.

3. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Good stuff, Pack.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This weekend's scoreboard watch:

Ravens v Chicago in Baltimore, the spotty chicago Defense may not be able to take advantage of Flacco's slump.

Patriots at Bills...our best shot at seeing a competitor fall this weekend

Steelers at Cleveland this thursday night, how great would it be if Matty Roth made a game changing play for the Browns? Chances are good though..Steelers W.

Seahawks vs Texans well now, there is a chance the Texans lose this one, Seattle is playing better, and the Texans have a weak passrush

Broncos at Indy interesting game the Colts supposedly badly want to surpass the Patsies regular season winning streak of 22 games, a Colts win things get just a tick tighter for that 5th slot

Jests are off this week

5 games, 3 of them teams we need to lose, could lose, Broncos, Texans, Patsies, should be a good weekend of football starting on this Thursday night.

5. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Patriots play Carolina this week and the Bills next week actually. Also the Lions visit the Ravens this week and the Chicago game is next week :D

Also the Jets at Tampa could be interesting. I could see Tampa keeping that one close. I expect the Jets to win but its worth a look.

This is a huge week for Miami to win. It looks like the Jets, Ravens, Steelers, and Pats should all win. Miami has by far the toughest game and should have the fans of all the other Wild Card teams pulling for them (Miami that is).

padre31 likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My mistake, flipping back and forth between all of those schedules led to an error on my part.

The game I'm going to keep an eye on is Steelers and Browns, the Brownies have added Roth and he is playing well, and Brady Quinn is playing with a ton of confidence, and a no huddle offense.

I'd like to see the Seachickens throw dirt on the Texan's playoff chances this weekend, the Titans figure to win in St Louis, but a loss there would be great as well.

Not only do we need to leap frog people, the teams chasing us need to be put to sleep as it were, Texans, Titans, Jets, the sooner the better with them.

7. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Yeah man I saw that you had Carolina vs. NE earlier on this page so I know you know your stuff. Oh and BTW the Rams play the Titans at home this week. :D

Yes I am a schedule nerd and also correct these things in case anybody else reads them...I know you know. :up:

My thing is Padre that the only teams I worry about right now are the Ravens, Pats, and Fins. I figure the Texans, Jags, Titans, and Steelers can all get their playoff death blow by Miami and other losses for them are only gravy. As far as the Ravens I am unsure how the tiebreaker falls so I want them to lose and of course I want the Pats to lose.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Either way, Steven Jackson plays the Titans and is bringing 51 scrubs with him to the game...:D

Dang, and I thought I had no life..:D

The jags are a sneaky good team, if a team can run on them and has an accurate Qb and pressure the Qb then you can win, if Gerrard and MJD are feeling it they are good.

As for the Texans, Titans, Steelers, Jests, you never know, backing into the playoffs is just as good as winning in, at least the way I see it, and this Jags game is every single bit as important as that Bills loss was, in fact it may be even more important, "if" we put the Jags in the rearview imho we win out and play the final game against Pitt for the AFCE or the Wildcard.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Two games to keep an eye on:

Chargers at Cowboys, we need the Chargers to win that one

Broncos at Colts..Go Colts, the last thing we need is the Chargers being kicked down to the WC chase their win head to head will mess us up.

Weather in:

New England..41 cloudy, breezy

Jacksonville..Rain and mild

10. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well huge win today and some how some way the Fins have clawed into a tie for the last Wild Card spot (although still technically out due to a tiebreaker).

Well I am officially as giddy as a schoolgirl today and you can bet I am breaking out my Fins jersey (Ricky) this week to parade around in Titans country. I hate the Titans more than any other team outside the division and I really hope they aren't the team to knock the Fins out. If they are I might as well throw myself off a bridge for all the crap I'm going to take.

Anyway to get back on topic I think the games we need to to keep our eyes on will be week 16 and after. In Week 16 we are going to see the Ravens go to Pittsburgh, the Broncos go to Philly, and the Pats host the Jags. Then in week 17 we will see the Pats go to Houston. Week 15 will see the Pats go to Buffalo and the Ravens host the Bears and you can probably see why I am sort of discounting that week as both the Pats and Ravens should win rather comfortably. Of course we all know Miami has to win out pretty much through week 17 but week 16 is where I think Miami can find themselves possibly in the 5 spot.

Tennessee scares me more than any team left on our schedule. They are playing well enough to be in the playoffs and you better believe they will still be playing hard at 7 losses. I will say it now if Miami beats Tennessee I give Miami a 65% chance of making the playoffs.

jetssuck and padre31 like this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well Week #14 saw the favorites win outside of the Steelers, and of course the Jaguars.

Broncos losing and Bolts winning was a nice unnoticed victory for us.

Assuming we win out, and the Broncs lose to the Eagles we would jump up to the #5 WC position.

12. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Incorrect Padre, it depends on the strength of victory which is not determined yet. It's extremely close too. I'm not sure what the totals end up as.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Then I cannot be incorrect...yet...:shifty:

Be honest with you Jaj, my gut, my di-roken, is screaming at me that we will win the AFCE Crown again this year, don't know how that will happen, I suspect R Moss's 1 catch and 1 fumble has a great deal to do with it though.

14. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hahahhaha. Touche touche.

That's my hope as well. You know what's even nastier is that if we win out and the Patriots lose against an AFC opponent they miss the playoffs entirely and there's a good chance we get a rematch versus Baltimore.

padre31 likes this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well my theory is this:

Dolphins win out, patriots lose one more game, the Ravens lose one more game, we head into the final game against Pitt assured of a WC or we can knock the Patsies off the playoff hunt.

I'd prefer to play the Chargers in a rematch if we are a WC, and I'd prefer to play the Broncos if we are AFCE Champs.

16. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    BigDogs and I disagree on the NFL tie-breaker procedure.

If New England, Baltimore, and Miami all win out and Denver loses to Philly, New England would win the division.

At that point it's decided amongst the three-way tie isn't it?

17. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I thought it was conference record first between three teams and then common opponents if applicable.

I don't really know though. I just heard somewhere that if Miami wins out and NE loses another game that Miami would take the division based off conference record (unless of course NE's one loss came to Buffalo).

Confusing. What I do know though is that Baltimore must lose another game or NE for Miami to even have a chance.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yes, because they would have 1 more win then we have.

Now "if' the Broncos lose to KC or Oakland, and we win out, we win a WC with a better intraconference record.

Put it this way Jai, that is a moot question, the Jags play the Patriots, if the Jags lose, they are removed from contention, if they win, we win the AFCE.

Either way though, the real problem is, the ravens have the Bears, Steelers and ??? to finish the season, if they win out they win the WC outright.

As for this weeks Scoreboard watch:

Indy at the Jags...we need the Colts to win that one.

Bears at Ravens...Bears

Patriots at Bills...patsies are 0-5 on the road, Bills win and we are in the driver's seat.

Raiders at Denver...needless a Raider win would be massive, but sadly Gradkowski injured his knee, meaning JRussel, the human turnover machine of massive, empiral suckage, will more than likely start over Charlie Frye

Well, it looks like this will be another week of treading water, unless the Bills manage to beat the Patsies, which could happen.

The Colts could effectively ice the Jags this Thursday, apparently their starters may play, but who knows for how long? Jags at home are tough, but I cannot see the Colts just rolling over for the Jags.

The Bears are wildly inconsistent, and their forturnes ride on Cutler's right arm, there is no real way to predict that one.

at one time, the Raiders were beasts in Denver, but without Gradkowski, I'm just not seeing it.

19. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    This week I am rooting for NE, IND, and NO all to lose......yes, I want my cake and will eat it too.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A Jags loss tomorrow night would be helpful.

21. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    I'm pulling for Jacksonville tonight. I want their game next weekend in Foxborough to mean something to them.

Also, handing Indy their first loss would be icing on the cake.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  22. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's another game where I'm torn between. Whoever wins, I'll be happy. But I'm really going for the Cowboys against the Saints on Saturday night. Hopefully the Cowboys get their **** together and give the Saints a tough game. Next week lets hope Jax beats the Patriots. How sweet would it be for Miami to be in first place?

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  23. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Jags beating Indy tonight would be a blast
    Dallas beating NO Sat would top that
    Buf beating NE Sun would be a gift that keeps on giving

and

Miami beating Tenn Sun sets the stage for a wonderful week and lays it all in front of the team with HOU and PIT remaining.

thats would be AWESOME!!!!!!!:hi5:

24. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    That's all I want for Christmas. EVERYTHING you just said. Please, Santa?

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You know, I actually like the Jacksonville Jaguars team, they fight hard and they don't quit, in some ways they remind me of the Phins.

I won't be shedding tears if the Jags win, but next week in Foxboro, that is the real contest, I'd be completely happy winning the AFCE and the Jags retaining the #6 seed.

26. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well Sunday has finally almost made its way here and now its time to talk schedules again.

Personally I wanted Jacksonville to lose because I wanted that extra cushion in the WC so I am happy so far. Now tomorrow I expect to see the Falcons with a healthy Turner and Ryan beat the Jets (with a starting Sanchez which only helps the matter). Then in what could be an upset because of the weather I really want to see the NE-Buffalo game. Think about it...snow = playing to the Bills strength (running game) and away fro NE's strength (passing game). I expect NE to win but this could be closer than a lot would have thought. The third game we have to pay attention to is the Bears-Ravens game and here is another place where I see weather being a factor except this time it hurts the Fins. Obviously in bad weather the running game of Baltimore is much better than that of Chicago so I have to give Baltimore the edge and the victory. My only consolation is that the Baltimore area will will not actually see snow for the game whereas Buffalo should.

What I see happening in summary is that the Pats go to 9-5, the Ravens 8-6, and the Jets 7-7.

To change gears a bit now to the big picture I now think that it is likely (about a 65% chance) that the six seed will have 7 losses. The teams I think that will be competing for that spot will be Baltimore, Miami, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee. I see the Jets getting their final eighth loss next week at Indy and the Jaguars get their eighth loss next week at NE. Then I see Pittsburgh getting their eighth loss in Miami week 17. I think Tennessee picks up their eighth loss next week against SD (hopefully Cincy beats them this week to give SD motivation). So if you're still following me I see Miami and the Ravens as the two teams left with 7 losses after week 17. I think Miami gets their 7th loss against Tennessee and I think the Ravens get theirs week 16 at Pittsburgh. Then it will go to a tiebreaker which should be tied conference wise and will go to common games I believe in which Baltimore would have the edge. So basically this is my schedule breakdown and forecast that Miami misses out on the playoffs on a tiebreaker. :lol:

Obviously I hope I am wrong on my predictions but in the end I see Miami missing out barely at 9-7. I think the Pats go 10-6 (lose last week at Houston) and win the division and Baltimore because of a tiebreaker gets the six spot at 9-7. As a note I think Denver gets in the five seed at 10-6 (lose in week 16 at Philly).

If you all want to know my biggest fear its that Miami wins out but so does Baltimore and NE to give Miami the ultimate heart breaker. However in my heart of hearts I think NE goes 10-6 (Jags and Houston will be tough games for them and I think they lose the latter on the road). If Miami can somehow beat the Titans (and I just don't see how they can) we can win the division but its a really tough road. For Miami 9-7 or 8-8 just feels right for me and everything just breaks down where Baltimore has the easiest road to that Wildcard spot ( vs Bears, at a struggling Pittsburgh, then Oakland). Although I think Pitt. can beat them I definitely don't see the Ravens losing two of those and I just think the Titans will basically eliminate Miami tomorrow. Of course in my fevered mind I still can see Tennessee beating SD after Miami and then Seattle which as a result Tennessee gets in the playoffs. I can also still see the Ravens sweeping the rest. Basically this is all a huge mess in my head lol.

So there are my ramblings on the rest of the schedules for Miami and their biggest competitors. Will someone please prvoe me wrong in a good way for Miami? Also am I crazy for running every possible scenario through my head seeing how Miami can make the playoffs? :D

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Screw it Skiing, why not us?

We play the titans at home, that is the whole of the season so far.

And I still see us as going 10-6, nothing has changed that view.

As for the cold in Batlimore, the Bears are a cold weather team anyway so whatever in Baltimore, but it looks like Reed will be out and Suggs is trying to comeback from a knee.

Patsies travel to the Frozen Tu ndra of the Ralph, win that game and Perry Fewell wins the HC slot, if the team likes Fewell, they win that game.

28. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well Padre typically in soggy messy fields like the one in Baltimore running teams do better. Chicago already has enough problems and seeing them stop Rice, McGahee, and McClain just doesn't seem very possible. Baltimore just has this game I think.

Also as far as the Fins I hope you're right Padre but tell me how can Miami beat Tennessee? We don't have a good enough passing game to carve up that struggling secondary and we all know they'll be focusing on Ricky. On defense the team is coming together but something just tells me VY will just go off running the ball tomorrow. Miami's playcalling still worries me at times and for some reason I don't see us spying him enough. Weather conditions I think will help keep Johnson from exploding but he'll still probably get his 125 yards plus another 30-40 receiving with a TD or two (just his way of doing things lately).

Tennessee just seems to be the better team right now in my mind. However I really want you to prove me wrong.

Also to those who think I'm hating on the Fins...I'm not....this is simply my breakdown of this game. I watch Tennessee (sadly) just about every week living in Tennessee and I know how good they are now. If this game was in Miami I'd be a lot more confident in Miami but this game just seems ripe for the Titans to win.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Baltimore has not won back to back games since like week 6...

And their offense is dirt simple the sort that the Bears have had success against, and a muddy track?

AFAIK, that is a modern, heated field?

We just shut down MJD after 4 turnovers, and beat the patsies, and now "how are we going to.."?

Sparano will find a way.

It seems even riper for the Dolphins to win, any idea how many sacks they have?

Nick Harper is a walking completion granting machine and our defense is coming around...finally.

Chill Bro, big day tomorrow, Patsies are missing 4 starters, the Ravens are facing a team that can pass the ball without Ed Reed in the lineup and we are on a roll.

30. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Padre I can freak out if I want to. :wink2:

Well even with a modern field did you see the pics coming from the stadium today? I mean that place looked awful. Once again though I hope your right.

Also we are on a roll but so is Tennessee (a 6-1 roll). We'll see what happens but I still don't see how Miami has enough weapons to beat this team. I am hoping with all my heart that the team I hate more than any other team outside the AFC East goes down but just not feeling it.

Feel free to keep on giving positive feedback. :D

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wow...you're a nerrvy fella Sking...:D

I believe we are 5-2 or so and we have played tougher opponents than the Titans have played plus we have shaken the injury bug to our starters.

The problem for the Phins is, there are no 'name" players outside of RW, if I said "Brian Hartline will have 80 yds and a TD and Tony Fasano will have a TD and 6 receptions"

Most NFL watchers would say "who dat"?

Or check this stat out, we shut down MJD...know how tackles Crowder had?

1, a single tackle, he clogs the holes and Wilson and Bell get to make the tackles, and I'd bet they are top 3 most prolofic tackling duo in the NFL, but you'd never know that as no one talks about it.

This Bills and Pats game fascinates me Sking, it really does, 12-0 vs the Bills, we had our streak against the Chargers broken this year but the patsies are record setting bad with Brady as the Qb on the road, and they lost back to back games for the first time in like 5 yrs and they are missing 4 starters including their NT, G, T, G, and the Bills have a good passrush.

Don't tell anyone...but the Bills are due...:shifty:

Ravens are an up and down team, I sorta expect them to be down, their Cb's are bad, maybe bad enough that Cuddles can take advantage of them.

Besides, we will win the AFCE this year, how do I know that?

99% of the people have forgotten this, but Aqua4ever bet 100 dollars that we would...so we will...he is the one cat who never waivered and put his money where his keyboard is... :wink2:

32. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well I did say the Bills-pats game interested me with the Pats on the road and with snow in the forecast I do believe.

I do also think 10-6 wins the division so maybe Aqua has a shot but let me tell you this Padre containing Chris Johnson won't be as easy as MJD.

The Ravens we'll see about as well but hey I think we both agree the Jets should lose. :D

33. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    contain the edge like we did against the jags
    bring middle pressure
    tackle well

the weather wont be so bad 40 degrees cloudy
    rain stops tonight in nash
    might have to change plugs a few times to make sure footing is there
    relax

padre31 and sking29 like this.
  34. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Actually the weather could help if its bad on the field. From what I've read the temps are supposed to be around 40 (a bit colder to the skin) and partly cloudy so that's good for the game itself.

I'll try to relax. :shifty:

35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, Soliai, Baker, Starks, Merling, Langford will be our passrush and they have to plug gaps and we must tackle well.

Wouldn't surprise me to see some Corner blitzes though, especially from Vontae Davis.

36. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    In the end since Miami and Baltimore don't play each other it will come down to common games so Baltimore must lose to Pitt.

However now with Denver at 8-6 that adds another team we are gunning for...and with them at Philly next week them being 8-7 is looking good. Right now Denver is who we should be gunning for more so than Baltimore because Denver is 2-3 in our common games and if Miami beats Pitt. we'd be tied (no need praying for a Pitt. win as we need for Baltimore). Then it comes down to strength of victory. Which I believe Miami has the advantage in since we have played better opponents than Denver so far.

No matter what Miami must sweep but Miami gets in if Baltimore loses to Pitt. or if Denver loses either of their last two (looks favorable) but Miami must sweep. Oakland may have saved our behinds today and it looks likely that Denver loses in Philly next week. So Miami sweeps and Denver loses just once and we are in. :yes:

Also it's huge that Pitt. came back and beat GB for us. We needed Pitt. to be desperate and still in things next week vs. Baltimore and now we have that. :yes:

padre31 likes this.
  37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Crazy weekend, instead of the playoff picture clearing up, it has gotten muddier:

1. Ravens 8-6
    2. Broncos 8-6

Rest of the pack:

Jags
    Dolphins
    Titans
    Jest

Moving forwards:

Titans v Chargers this Friday
    Broncos v Eagles
    Ravens v Steelers
    Jags v Patriots
    Dolphins v Texans
    Jets v Colts

Chargers v Titans is on Christmas night at 7:30

So basically:

Titans to lose
    Broncos to lose
    Ravens to lose

"If" that happens, the Jags and Patriots outcome works for the dolphins either way, "if" the Jags win, we fall 1 game behind the Pats and they head down to Reliant Field to face the Texans, if the Pats win, we pass up the Jags again and vault into the #6 WC slot with one game to go assuming those three teams lose their games.

I believe it was Section126 who said "9-7 will make the playoffs, we just need to win the right games" that is playing out.

Remind me never to bet football against Sect126....:lol:

sking29 likes this.
  38. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I tell you what Padre that Jax-NE game is the best thing that can happen to this team. I hate to say it but its probably better if NE wins...because we need to vault over JAX. You just know NE would lose to Jax and then beat Houston to give us the double screw over lol. Either way though that game will benefit Miami.

Also I think Tennessee losing isn't really needed as it only matters if just us and them are tied after week 17. Of course I want them to lose but the only team we have to have to lose is Baltimore and maybe Jax. Actually the more I think of it we are better off with NE winning this weekend and us going for the WildCard.

39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The way I see it sking, the more teams we put into the rearview mirror, the better off we are, someone posted a stat that if we win the last two games, we have a 56% chance of making the playoffs.

I'll take that!

After the 0-3 start, we really cannot ask for much more.

40. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    True and that's why I am saying Jax losing is the best for us. If NE loses they are still ahead of us but if Jax loses they are behind us. :up: