1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schefter: "Dolphins losing steam in Peyton Manning race"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cdz12250, Mar 10, 2012.

1. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/229296/dolphins-losing-steam-in-peyton-manning-race

This is the kind of stuff that makes me question whether Schefter can do anything more than speculate to stir up controversy. He refers to "certain factors" within the organization that are a negative for Manning and supposedly also caused Harbaugh and Fisher not to want to come here, but doesn't name them, leaving it all up to fan speculation about Ireland, Ross, or what have you. If Schefter knows something, he should man up and call it by its name. If not, he should refrain from this kind of speculative "journalism."

dolfan7171, MrClean, gunn34 and 4 others like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Keep in mind, this is how payback is done in the NFL, which is one of the reasons until there is hard information I pay -0- attention to any nfl media atm.

Make a veiled allusion, never support it, and let desperate fans do all of the heavy lifting with filling in the blanks with whatever they wish to write in there.

3. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Not buying it.

4. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I look at it like this.

Manning is visiting three teams.

He's with team #1 now.

Until he finishes meeting with all the teams, no one knows anything.

DOLPHAN1, dolfan7171, gunn34 and 2 others like this.
  5. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    He chose three teams to review, we are one of them, not sure how that is losing steam. Silly claim based on speculation. He will either look like a hero, 33% chance, or he will say Miami gained steam at the end and got him.

Ozzy likes this.
  6. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    This way at the end it would be more "sensational journalism" to report that at the last minute Ross stepped up and went all in to save face and not lose out again. They've got all this time toi kill until decision time so they're gonna cook some sides to go with the meat and potatos. Doesn't mean you have to eat them, but rest assured, they're gonna clutter up the table.

7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    The problem is the speculation works.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Well regardless, we have struggled to land who we want to Miami of late. Fire Ireland.

Aquafin likes this.
  9. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Sources

10. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Screw the media and these morons. Fisher was very smart to go to the Rams, franchise QB and 5 first round picks and an extra 2nd over the next three years??? No offer by Ross could exceed the draft gold mine Fisher knew was walking in to. As for Harbaugh, why would he leave the west coast when he was already a hero there??

ToddsPhins, gunn34 and Aquafin like this.
  11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ireland is a common thread. Free agents, draft picks, coaches, etc. He better hope he can land Matt Flynn.

Aquafin likes this.
  12. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    True but how many fans can say their owner/GM even tried ? At least we are always in the game. In this case if we lose we may actually win as was the case with Fisher.

13. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    But what if Philbin thinks Flynn sucks ?

14. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    That "report" was from yesterday afternoon. The steam is still in full force so do yourselves a favor and dismiss this nonsense. They know nothing.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  15. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    then we are screwed Mat Moore does nothing to instill hope of winning .500 let alone the playoffs . Espn pisses on the dolphins all the time and I espn is getting much worse in covering the nfl because they play favorites and we are no where near favorites.the dolphins need to make a move because I have that errie feeling we will be the same ole same ole with a offense that is no fun to watch.our quarterback options have been dwindling ever since the qb from usc decided to stay in. Shafter is full of crap he saing Kansas City , Houston and Denver aremuch more attrative then Miami . so Espn simply has no respect for the dolphins and its gettiing worse .

16. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    On the same page there is "speculation" from Michelle Beisner that said:

So ... who ya gonna believe? :lol:

17. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Omg we are not being used for once omgz omfgz

18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I'm not exactly sure why you think he is full of crap for saying those three franchises are more attractive than the Dolphins. First of all, Houston is a far better team and much closer to being a Super Bowl contending team than the Dolphins are. I have no idea if the Texans are interested in signing Manning but if they are, Manning would be a complete fool to not sign with the Texans, and I just don't see Manning as a fool.

The Chiefs have a lot of good young talent and once they got rid of their HC during the season last year, they defeated the Patriots. So I could certainly see how the Chiefs would seem attractive to Manning.

The Broncos won their division last year with Tim Tebow as their QB. How much better would they be with Manning at the helm? They also are $50,000,000 under the cap, so they have plenty of money and all their draft choices available in order to surround Manning with a great deal of additional talent.

Since I am a Dolphin fan, I certainly think that Miami is a great place for Manning to want to come and play his remaining years in the NFL. Yet, I also do not discount that the Texans, Chiefs, and Broncos are teams which present some interesting facets which make them just as attractive as Miami, if not more so.

19. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    LOL.

1) there is no anti-dolphins ESPN conspiracy. ESPN doesn't put us on a pedestal like you hope simply because we suck and we have sucked for about 20 years.
    2) Matt Moore was 6-3, so how does that factor into your "hope of winning 0.500"

MAFishFan, MrClean and jw3102 like this.
  20. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Folks need to relax. Look at it like this, we are in the final 3. There are 28 other teams not even in the race some beause of conference and others because of envirinment. Peyton holds all the cards at this point and will make the call. With that said, he is a very classy guy and I honestly feel he is feeling out the situation as it is all new and is not doing any of this to leverage anything as he already has all of it. He's obvoiusly intrigued by these options and is feling it out as he is a creature of habit. Once he goes to each his gut will have made the choice for him. At the end of the day I for one am glad that this so called "Toxic" franchise is in the finals. I find it exciting that for once this club is actually making QB its top priority this offseason and is in the mix to finally fing do something about it.

21. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    what was the combined record of teams beat and lost to......?

Thanks for playing

22. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    What was the combined record of teams beat and lost to the Patriots, AFC Champions?

Thanks for playing.

Ozzy, RGF, MrClean and 1 other person like this.
  23. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    We could do much worse than Moore. Im inclined to support him if we miss out on Manning/Flynn. The fan base will wail but I can see him winning. When is the last time you saw that many blowouts by the Dolphins in a season?

24. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Football is a team game :confused2:

25. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Who cares? They won in tge playoffs and got into the Superbowl. Matt Moore beat only bad teams.

26. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    The Patriots didn't beat anyone with a winning record during the regular season.
    Your argument is full of fail, keep on going.

27. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It's happened already. We've gone from prematurely celebrating Peyton Manning to once again talking about our "bright" future with Matt Moore under center.

Uncle Rico and PhinsRDbest like this.
  28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Matt Moore doesn't beat anyone on his own. The Miami Dolphins were unable to beat good teams last season, some of that blame goes on Moore and some goes elsewhere. However I will say there are a lot of things to like about Moore, and nothing suggests to me that with a good team around him he would be incapable of beating other good teams. He is a solid starter with decent potential, we could do much worse at QB going into next season. At the very least we should get solid if unspectacular play.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  29. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Christ almighty this place is turning into quite the insane asylum.

30. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, I wouldn't be that concerned. I'd rather draft Ryan Tannehill or Brandon Weeden than signing a free agent QB. That said, with Manning's health concerns, I'd rather Miami signed Flynn at this point, if that's the route they want to go.

I'd rather try and re-sign Paul Soliai and maybe make a run at Mario Williams and draft a QB.

31. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    As someone who has actually been in an insane asylum, most of the people there are far more coherent and consistent, but then they aren't dependent upon people like Armando Salguero to deliver information regarding their recovery.

32. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

When was Matt Moore 6-3? He went 6-7.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  33. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think he meant down the stretch and forgot he was 0-4 in his first four starts.

Matt Moore's a fine backup. He shouldn't be the "backup plan" to Peyton Manning and/or Matt Flynn. Looking at his performances against teams with "good" defenses last year, and you can see why Ireland, Marshall, and Bess have all made the comments they have about "needing someone". Again, Miami should draft Tannehill or Weeden.

34. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    They also aren't emotionally dependent on outcomes completely out of their control.

35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If you look at teams with good defenses, they usually have good pass rushers. If you look at about two or three fifths of our offensive line, they got destroyed in the passing game. It was even worse when Long went out.

Everyone here is so cut and dry, black and white. It doesn't work that way. Someone doesnt always struggle because they suck. There are actually circumstances surrounding things sometimes.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  36. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

The funny thing is, Matt Moore had, by my count, 6 bad games. They were all ranked in the 20's for scoring defense except the Iggles. Eagles, Jets x 2, Redskins, Giants, Chargers. He also had a mediocre performance against Oakland (29th). He was not good against some bad defenses during the season.

37. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, if you are going to go with MMoore you need a dominant RB to win anything, he's fine for what he does BUT is not a 70 passing attempts per gm type of Qb.

38. Mk2

Mk2 New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    The Herald reported today that Manning "was rattled" when the local media almost ran him off the road when he arrived in Miami after his Colts press conference.

The source of the "probelm" might not have anything to do with the organization and everything to do with Miami's papparazzi driven , party town atmosphere.

39. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Yeah, well, it's been 13 years without a QB and we have a chance to sign a HOFer, what does he expect?

40. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

All the idiots dissing on the records of the teams we beat with Matt Moore, ignorantly overlook the fact that the Pats didn't beat a team that finished with a winning record during the 2011 season.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.