1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schefter Says Fins and Broncos engaged in talks...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Brewhead1000, Jul 27, 2011.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    It's all opinion until it happens.

And what'd you expect them to tell Orton? lol Of course they're going to tell him what he wants to hear if they want to land him.

2. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    If that is true then it's even more reason to doubt this management team.
    How does a solid veteran to compete turn into completely giving up on a young prospect?
    If so it's simply very bad player development.

slickj101 and Ophinerated like this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I disagree. Chad Henne's had 1000+ pass reps and three years to show them that there's anything there worth developing. His lack of development in the pros makes his lack of development in college look even more conspicuous. The fact of the matter is, he's just not very good, and it's time to move on.

RGF likes this.
  4. BB Ocho

BB Ocho Season Ticket Holder

Dec 10, 2007
    Florence, SC
    Some players show promise, yet can't be developed. If Denver is offered a fair deal and Orton is told he can come here to compete for the starting job and he refuses, then he lacks confidence in his abilities.

5. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Pretty sure that's what Chicago said about Orton right around that time too.

6. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    What development in the pros.... Henne was put in every bad situation a first time starter could be put in last season and he held his own very well.
    His coaches didn't have anything to do with developing this guy. Kinda rough when a young QB has to do that all on his own.

SeanP, resnor and Coral Reefer like this.
  7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Shefter says Broncos just traded Jabbar Gaffney to Washington for DE Jeremy Jarmon.

Never heard of the guy. Does this affect our trade? Throw in Carey, not Merling?

8. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Orton was never the guy as I remember, Grossman was. Go figure.

9. BB Ocho

BB Ocho Season Ticket Holder

Dec 10, 2007
    Florence, SC
    was the chicago deal with cutler/orton similar to the chargers with brees/rivers?

10. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    And they weren't wrong. Kyle Orton developed into what he is, an average QB who is capable of a big game here or there.

Two franchises have now decided that he is not a long term answer at the position. It won't be long until we decide the same.

Third Man, resnor, Eop05 and 2 others like this.
  11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Actually no, Orton had a good rook yr, then sat for 2 seasons and only started in 08 because Rex Grossman broke his ankle.

Bears then traded Orton in the Cutler deal and waived Grossman.

12. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not unless the Chargers traded Brees for Rivers and I missed it.

13. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Surpised to hear that sentiment coming from someone who studies the game as much as you.
    You know the guy your hoping we get couldn't even beat out Rex Grossman for a starting job in Chicago early in his career. Orton looked like a complete flop early.

slickj101 likes this.
  14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Uh oh. The Broncos just traded WR Jabbar Gaffney to the Redskins for DE Jeremy Jarmon.

That means...the Dolphins aren't going to get anywhere with Denver by attaching Phil Merling to the trade.

schmolioot likes this.
  15. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    This is my view on Henne as well.
    Not saying his getting good is just a matter of time or that it will ever come but to me it's clear he has not been given enough time and solid direction to tell as of yet. I'm fine with competition being brought in but not in favor of trading a high pick for an avg. QB to be handed the starting spot over Henne. Would be ridiculous.

16. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    It's time to suck it up CK. This is going to be a 2nd rounder. Ireland and Sparano are about to walk into the same trap that Wanny and Saban did before them.

17. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    As the plot thickens.

18. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm fairly certain Denver will be running a 4-3, and would guess that Jarmon will be playing inside.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm very aware of Kyle Orton's career path and I don't know if you can accurately say that I'm "hoping" the Dolphins get Kyle Orton. I've seen enough of Orton to know he's not a real franchise guy. But I've also seen enough to know that he's better than Chad Henne right now, and that it's a coin flip at best whether Chad Henne will ever be as good as Kyle Orton is right now. Orton is efficient, knows how to hurt defenses, has lively enough feet in the pocket to execute plays, and he's got the ability to make plays deep. He's bad trying to improvise under pressure, and very inconsistent game to game. He's not fast at all, pretty slow actually when you get him on the run. He doesn't have a great arm and that's one reason he doesn't improvise well under pressure. But he's accurate enough, aggressive enough, knows where to get the ball, and capable of running complex offenses. I can't say any of those things for Chad Henne.

I don't particularly care about Orton's history in Chicago with Rex Grossman who was their 1st round pick at QB once upon a time. Teams can get awful stupid about their own high round quarterbacks sometimes, having them continue to start even though they've shown they're not very good.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Jarmon is a DE

To me, this means it is a done deal, Orton has said he does not want to be a backup, he sold his home in Denver, now he is haggling over his salary at his new job.

21. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Nevermind, the Albert Breer news is in the post above this.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It would be like trading a 2nd round pick for Gus Frerotte...but oh well. What are you going to do? They're trying to save their jobs.

schmolioot and Section126 like this.
  23. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    That would mean that there's the possibility we've transcended the "waste one 2nd round pick on a quarterback per regime" days and are now firmly in "waste two instead!" territory.

schmolioot likes this.
  24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I hope they're right.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Don't you mean three 2nd round picks? You're forgetting He Who Must Not Be Maimed (by Corner Backs).

Tin Indian likes this.
  26. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Yup. I've been saying they should probably just consider trading him. I know it sounds good to have a guy who knows the players and has been looking at the playbook as a backup. But there's a lot of potential there for bad chemistry.

27. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    It would be three if Orton doesnt work out. Henne, White, and Orton.

28. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Exactly. They are putting themselves above the organization. AGAIN. It's just a different set of lame ducks this time.

slickj101 likes this.
  29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's assuming the locker room has any REAL loyalty to Henne. I think we've argued about this before but I think their loyalty to Henne is skin deep at best.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I studied Gus Frerotte as he has been the "best" of the bad bunch of Qb's since Fiedler was good, his 05 season was actually...pretty good, what sank him was a mind boggling amount of fumbles..he was also 34.

I suspect it will be a #3 pick, and a player, suspect Merling and maybe McDaniel..maybe.

31. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Oh. OH. You know, it does say something when I even remember Feeley more vividly (or at all, actually) than He Who Came, Saw, And Stunk Up The Joint.

32. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    It's Ross's fault though. Once the Harbaugh stuff became public he should've canned Sparano, even if he wanted to keep Ireland.

brandon27 and Section126 like this.
  33. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    What you talkin bout Willis?

Orton threw for 1869 yards with 9 TD's and 13 INT's at a 51% completion rate with a QB rating of 59 in an offense that really put no pressure on the QB. He then was unable to unseat a busted draft pick at the QB position for the next few years in Grossman.

Henne's first year he threw for 2878 yards 12 TD's and 14 INT's at a 60% completion rate and a QB rating of 74.
    Much better for a first year starter then Orton's. It amuses me that we are talking about giving up a 2nd round pick for Orton who through his first 3 years was at minimum equal to Henne's "hopelessness" if not much more hopeless looking for developing into an NFL starting QB.

34. C-HUCKS1

C-HUCKS1 New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Great! Another high draft pick spent on a retread QB. Really is Orton going to take the team to a Super Bowl, I highly doubt it. I don't understand why this organization has not drafted a QB in the 1st round in over thirty years, it is only the most important position in football. I am starting to think this organization is being run by a bunch of idiots. When you are in such a dire need of a QB as the Dolphins have been in the last 10 years, why not just take the best one avaible with the first pick you have in the draft? Granted the guy could be a bust, but then again he could be a star, that is the chances you have to take. Taking a chance is something the front office is not willing to do, instead they go for the safe pick, and thats why we have no chance at making the playoffs this year. I wont even bring up the QB's we have passed over in the last 10 years because it makes me sick to stomach.

RGF likes this.
  35. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    People, getting Orten will be much better than you think. Guy can play, and he figures to only get better, if only a little better. Right now, he's a middle-of-the-pack QB, which is better than what we have. With a little improvement, he could move into the top 10-13 area, which would be even better, especially if we re-energize our running game. And with our defense? Heck, we just might be a playoff team after all.

Yes, it's frustrating that for nearly 30 years, we haven't drafted a QB of value. And yes, its' frustrating that we've wasted plenty of 2nd round picks on busted QBs in the past. But that doesn't mean you don't stop trying, and this will be good for us. Orten can play, and - more importantly - he knows how to utilize Marshall, which is kind of a big deal, eh!!

I can understand those saying they hate trading picks and all, and those just frustrated that it's come to this for us. But beyond that, this will be a good move for us - it's the best move we can make for the time being, and if Orten really takes off, look out!

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He Who Got Hit by a Corner and Woke Up Playing Baseball.

Tin Indian and Vendigo like this.
  37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As a pure rookie and the Bears went 10-5 and made the playoffs, what more do you expect?

Orton sat two of those 3 yrs.

38. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Not even just loyalty but having a sour grapes backup. If we trade for Orton, then this regime has just **** all over Henne yet again. Can we really expect him to stick around and be a good teammate? It's a tough situation because we don't have another backup right now, but I think the best thing to do would be to give him a fresh start somewhere else.

39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't agree with the practice of comparing a true rookie QB's performance with a second year QB's performance, and pretending they're apples-to-apples. Very different, IMO.

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There has never been any indication that Henne has been less than professional. I don't think it's in him to go all Rob Johnson in the locker room.