1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schools with good computer science/programming programs.

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Dannyg28, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    i'm interested in becoming a computer programmer(or software engineer i guess is the proper name) when i am finished with school and i've been looking into various colleges but i can't seem to find a good barometer for a good computer science program in the state of florida is.

So i came here to see if i can get some advice.also Would i be better served not going to a traditional university(Uf,FSu,ETc.) and forgoing the "traditional" college experience in favor of maybe a Tech school? I would prefer to go to a traditional university but i don't know how their programs stack up.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. HolliFinFan

HolliFinFan Not a Face Painter Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    All of the major Florida universities offer competitive computer science programs, yet in my experience, the state university to go to for your interest is UCF--the University of Central Florida in Orlando. Admission standards have heightened in recent years, so bulk up on SAT prep and extra-curriculars. Best of luck to you.

Celtkin and Dannyg28 like this.
  3. Dannyg28

Jan 4, 2008
    ya, our brace advisor came into one of my classes and talked about how in part due to the economy that a lot of colleges are tightening their standards.

Thanks for the help!.

4. HolliFinFan

HolliFinFan Not a Face Painter Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    Standards have been up at top flight Florida public universities, even before the recession. UCF is a school that has become increasingly competitive in the last 10 years, especially in the field in which you're interested.

Dannyg28 likes this.
  5. Dannyg28

Jan 4, 2008
    Ya, i've heard a lot of good things about them.

6. Dannyg28

Jan 4, 2008
    i think Gish is a computer science major there.

anlgp likes this.
  7. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    At one time I was a Computer Science major I'm not sure if it will help or not but I found that a Tech school would have allowed me to do what I wanted (networking, etc.). However had I wanted to be a programmer the four year college path would have worked fine, just consider Tech schools as they may offer what you want to do at a fraction of the time and cost. However someone more experienced may be able to shoot my claims to pieces but from my experience that is my advice.

Also possibly PM Gish to get advice. :up:

Dannyg28 likes this.
  8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    the top schools in the nation are

carnegie mellon
    mit
    ut austin when it comes to computer science

all are very difficult to get into. Miami has a descent program but from my research florida seems to have the best programs, graduate degrees and such if you want to stay local. Just some off the top of my head.

Dannyg28 likes this.
  9. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008
    I would be a bad advisor when it comes to schooling mate because i have some and it doesn't always get you to the right place...

Programming bored me to bloody tears...

Just always remember to put every single thing you learn in your pocket always...

Someday you will need it.....

Dannyg28 likes this.
  10. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    That is correct. UCF ranks at the top of computer science programs (for many years) and is a great value for Florida residents.

Go Knights!

Dannyg28 likes this.