1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seahawks@Dolphins notes and opinions

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Really nice to win one of these kind of games.

I've said it a lot of times, but I don't think I've ever seen a Dolphins season where they've got ****ed over by so many bad calls non-calls. It's like every week now teams score, or get a big play off of a passing play with a holding non-call. Jared Odrick got ****ing mugged on that first touchdown pass.

Nice to see Ryan Tannehill turn it around. He decision making still wasn't great today as it hasn't been for a couple weeks now, but at least he was looking down the field and stepping up in the pocket. He was "on" in a way he hadn't been for a couple of weeks, instead of the guy who was going to stand dumbly in the pocket looking for a dump-off or a timing route he could throw a couple seconds too late.

Great to see the runningbacks in the fold again. Reggie Bush was still doing that thing he does, but the physical talent and confidence is back. He doesn't do it conventionally, but he's got the physical talent to make up for it an alluring amount of the time. Daniel Thomas had his best game for a very long time as well.

It seems like they're switching the blocking all around to more man-blocking. For a couple weeks since the Colts game they've mixed in more man-blocked run plays, but it seemed like this week the pass protection was going back more that way too. Even had a Mike Pouncey pull to the outside on the Reggie Bush run. I'm curious where this goes in the future, but regardless it's nice to see this kind of adjustment.

The pass protection was pretty good this week. Jake Long had his seemingly obligatory "what the ****" play, but all and all the pass protection was quite good in playing a quite productive front-7. Tannehill cooperating seemingly didn't hurt either.

I bet the Seahawks wish they bothered respecting Davone Bess enough to cover him. We keep getting lucky week in and week out with teams not respecting our awful receivers(who should clearly be in the CFL, or better yet, die in a tire fire). We're pretty well ****ed when teams stop removing all their cornerbacks on the field, though.

Speaking of someone not being covered, Charles Clay's touchdown pass was beautiful. He released out of the backfield, then didn't get picked up off the the initial short-area coverage, and caught a ball in stride. Hopefully this is Charles Clay pulling his head out of his *** and being the player he's been teasing for a while now, and justifying the coaching staff's high hopes for him.

Nice to see the run defense get back into the swing of things, and the coaching staff I think did a really good job of keying on the Seahawks tendencies and fixing some of the back-side issues we had this week. They stopped a bunch of plays in the backfield on well-timed run blitzes.

I think the last couple weeks have really been the same general story. Our pass defense is having issues with scrambling quarterbacks extending plays, either by escaping pressure(and again, frequently uncalled holding), and getting time for receivers to get open. The pass rush was pretty good this week, and the initial coverage was solid, but they don't compensate well to someone getting outside of the pocket.

Jared Odrick I think joins Daniel Thomas and Charles Clay on a list of oft-lamented players having good games today.

A lot of mixing of the defensive backfield today. A couple of series saw Jimmy Wilson replace Chris Clemons at FS, and RJ Stanford replace Nolan Carroll at CB, and whoever the hell #23 was. They weren't particularly bad, but I'm not sure why Chris Clemons was getting pulled when he wasn't hurt given his play this year has been pretty good.

It seemed like there was a bit of a trend in rotating players in general. Marlon Moore and Rishard Matthews were starting at receiver at one point, Jeron Mastrud lined up in Anthony Fasano's role, seemed like more Derrick Shelby this week than he had been as of late either.

2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Re: Chris Clemons, it was reported that he had cramps according to the Game Notes on the team website. Said it occurred in the 3rd quarter.

Disgustipate likes this.
  3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    CC was having issues with cramps.

Disgustipate likes this.
  4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    It was frustrating watching the non calls for holding against our pass rushers. Even my two Steeler fan friends that watch with me are starting to think its ridiculous.

One thing frustrate me besides that!

1. The empty stadium!

Good write up, good to see the running game get going again and Tannehill pull out a game in the 4th.

5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ah, didn't see the cramp things. I thought it was strange because Clemons was in on special teams during the same time period when he wasn't out on the field.

6. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Also, Fasano was listed as questionable before the game, so perhaps Mastrud played more for that reason.

What I liked especially in this game was sticking with the running game even when the team went down 14-7 and there was this ominous sense of "here we go again" that could've made them panic and start to put the game on Tannehill's shoulders at that point, which I think would've been a big mistake.

By contrast, on the last drive, when it was tied, the coaching staff went for the juglar and allowed Tannehill to make big throws, even in our own territory.

Two sets of play-calling that IMO had their finger on the pulse of where this team is psychologically right now IMO. There was a point in the game where it needed to stay off of Tannehill's shoulders, and there was a point in the game where it needed to be on them.

In the end the team may have gotten a pretty good shot in the arm here from having Tannehill lead them to their first win on his shoulders this year. That's important for team morale IMO. You need to feel like your QB can win a game for you when need be. I'm not sure the team was sold on that before today, hence Randy Starks's comment about how Tannehill's balls dropped in this game.

EDIT: More evidence of what I bolded above:

7. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Was it only when the sprinkers turned on that the offense turned on?

Daniel Thomas runs that one cut and go better in zone blocking than Reggie.

Tannehill hits Hartline to the wide right then baits the coverage for that hitch only to hit them over the top. Sharmans play calling was better today.

Soliai is a man beast and MUST make first team Pro Bowl. The Solar Eclipse was a man possessed.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    And now both Sherman and Browner are facing possible 4 game suspensions for violating league rules. Tough day for Seahawk fans.

9. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    Drug cheats...

10. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

:sidelol:

Ludacris likes this.
  11. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Don't want to be down on Our team and a ****ing awesome win, but I can't help but still be concerned with Tannehill. Had it not been for the personal foul hit to the head penalty , we lost because Tannehill threw a unforced Pic in the endzone. game would have been over on a questionable play. Just saying. Lot of work to do and I am surprised we won. Love it!!

Bpk likes this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Maybe carp will put down the cheeseburgers and get completely focused on his craft..jmo.

Bpk likes this.
  13. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Huh??

14. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    You can say the same for Vetrans in this league making boneheaded throws. Happens to the best of them. I think one thing to keep in mind is that he wasn't even supposed to start this year, or at least not until later into the season. He had early success and tailed off, so it looks like regression. I just think its the learning curve. Patience is whats needed. We have seen the greatest of QBs make that same throw with the same results.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  15. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Good writeup.

My thoughts:

-For most of the game it was nice to see Ryan Tannehill be the promising player he was for most of the first part of the season. You can't throw that pick at the end of the game though. You simply cannot throw across your body late in the NFL and his man wasn't even close to being open. That was as bad a throw/decision as you'll see. Luckily they got bailed out on the penalty and hopefully it's just a rookie mistake that he will learn from and never make again.

-For the heat that Sherman has taken for his playcalling (and I'm not saying he didn't deserve it necessarily), I thought he called a heck of a game. That wheel route play with Clay was a nice play and set up well with previous plays sending Moore around to take the handoff and then faking the handoff to Moore and giving it to the HB.

-Daniel Thomas had a very good day. It's been a while since he looked that good. It helps that the line finally was opening some holes, but he was slicing in there even when there wasn't much room. One of the holes he got skinny and hit was tiny and he still got a nice pickup.

-Paul Soliai was worth every penny. He was a monster today.

-Randy Starks needs to be retained. Him and Soliai are such a force in the middle of that line.

-Today once again highlighted the need for another edge rusher. Odrick had probably his best game of the year and Wilson moves around well back there, but you need to be able to get more pressure without blitzing so much. And even when they do blitz, why does it seem like over the past few years the Dolphins blitzes get picked up so easily?

-I thought Sean Smith had a nice bounce back game after some struggles. I realize he was in the picture on that TD in the back of the endzone, but based on where he came from on that play and his reaction I would bet quite a bit of money that it wasn't his responsibility to be there.

-This is what we all thought we had in Charles Clay. Hopefully this is just a jumping off point for him to finally be a part of the passing game. That was not an easy catch he made for the TD.

-Devone Bess is an elite slot man. He's asked to be more than he is with the Dolphins lack of talent at WR, but if they can add a Mike Wallace, Bess could start to do what you see Wes Welker do. He needs to stop dancing so much and just get upfield though. He's not as elusive as he thinks he is.

Bpk likes this.
  16. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    lmao what?

Bpk likes this.
  17. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
  18. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    must be true... can't believe nobody realized it before though.

To add... both offensive and defensive lines pulled their proverbial heads out of their asses and we can start right there as to why we won this game today. The talent behind both lines is not good enough to overcome losing the line of scrimmage. It's as plain and simple as that really.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm happy he made the kick, but I saw what might be a reason for his slump this year..he's let himself get sloppy, and he's definitely not maximizing his body thru training, don't care if your a kicker, kickers have to tackle running free returners sometimes, needs to be in better shape.

20. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Game would have been 14-7 with more than 8 minutes left. How would it have been over?

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    And maybe Tanny doesn't make that throw with Thomas in his face.

Besides, forget the past few weeks of abortions by the refs, Seattle's first TD was illegal when (forgot who it was) was literally tackled before he could get to Wilson.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Carpenter has made that tackle this season. He just missed a tackle against one of the best kick returners of all time.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I understand he wouldn't of made that tackle even if he was in shape, it's not the point..he's a professional athlete, and he's 15lbs overweight with his gut hangin over his side..

It's not a big deal, just somethin I have o tolerance for.

Bpk and P h i N s A N i T y like this.
  24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He wouldn't have made that tackle if he was in the best shape of his life. There was way too much space for Carpenter to make a play.

Janakowski is the best kicker in the league and he is nothing but gut.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Read my post again, I said the same thing.

26. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    We need that kicker from Detroit who ran down the Texans' KR Thursday. ;)

27. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Janikowski is the most prolific kicker in the league...... the decision of best kicker usually comes down to making big kicks, consistently. Janikowski just isn't consistent enough. Carpentar seems to have lost his consistency........ hmmmm. All that aside, no kicker should be expected to take down Little Leon the phin nemesis.

28. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    all i know about that kick return is that Nolan Carroll is pretty damn fast.

Zanno and Bpk like this.
  29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He doesn't eat cheeseburgers. He's lactose intolerant.

Bpk and Anonymous like this.
  30. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Odrick was tackled, but it was after Wilson had left the pocket and was about to make the throw. Even if he had not been tackled, he was too far away to get to Wilson. Still should have been called though.

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That lineman was yanking Odrick away from Wilson then tackled him. It was a travesty.

In fact that lineman should be on the sex offenders list after that.

32. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Leave Dan carpenter alone today; it's his birthday and he made the kick.

Bpk likes this.
  33. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    The DL needs some major props, especially the interior. I was worried about Lynch having some big plays, but they really shut him down. The LBs played really well against the run as well. They both, on a number of occasions, stopped what could have been killer first downs. They put us in position to win.
    Tannehill regained some of that much needed confidence and composure. It was good to see finally see him use some of that WR running ability, which we've heard so much about, to pick up some important first downs. He broke Danny's record for passing yards by a Dolpins' rook. Now if he can get near Dan's 22 TDs, we'd be stoked.
    Thomas had a good game, though I feel that they should have fed it to him a bit more when he was hot. It seemed they backed off when he was doing good.
    I have absolutely no problem with the way Reggie runs. I've never really agreed with the dancing around too much comments. That's Reggie. You want that type of guy to find some space because that's when they can find that spot and break the big run and we've all seen Reggie do that many a time. Yeah, he can just bury his shoulders and run straight to insure he gets some positive yardage, but that sometimes limits the opportunity for the big play. I'm willing to sacrifice the few for the many. :) Sometimes, when there is absolutely nothing, it's necessary. For the most part, I want him to do his best to find the space and make the big play. D. Thomas can be more of the straight ahead type, but you don't want Reggie to change his ways and lose his natural instincts for what he does best. JMO.
    Dan Carpenter! Who wasn't sh-tin' a little pickle there?
    Great win!!

34. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    Yeah...i think the whole of Dolphins Nation held a collective breath during that FG.

mnfinfan likes this.
  35. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Tannehill did a good job of reading a complex Seattle D.
    Nice to see the kid shake off the slump and get his first comeback W.

Bpk likes this.
  36. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Not forgetting any of that , meerly keeping it real. That was a huge mistake that would have changed the game. An unforced error. Unfortunately I don't have it to go back and watch, maybe the receiver ran the wrong route. It was a decent game none the less.

Bpk likes this.
  37. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Daniel Thomas and Charles Clay were the 2 offensive skill guys I was excited about coming into the season and today they both played like I thought they would all year. Thomas' run game has vastly improved in recent weeks. He makes his cut and runs hard through the hole, and his pass blocking is superb. Clay looks like he's finally busted through his sophomore slump. He could be quite the weapon if he's used right.

I hope they can both keep this up. We need them.

38. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Hanson? Yeah thats a 40 year old man doing that too.

39. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    My thought process was "it's under 45 yards, I'm pretty confident we win this game."

40. juju.simba

juju.simba New Member

Aug 23, 2012

spot on write up!!!!

only thing i can think to add is ,it seems our special teams coverage units have dropped a beg or 2 ,seems a big return is a regular event over last few games
    and b fields seems to have lost his leg a bit?
    soliai was a beast! ,
    think #23 is bryan mcCann not that i know much more on him than that

nice to see some others get some playing time , please let us have a look at samuda at LG instead of richie who seems to fall over his own feet
    on regular basis

nice comeback win for us! pats next up hmmmmmmmm !!