1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sec

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Laces Out, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Is anyone connected in any way to this conference? I have found quite a bit of chatter about Texas A&M potentially becoming a member of the conference soon. Is this all a publicity stunt, or is there some truth to this? TIA

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I believe the chatter is because (aside from them being extended an invitation recently when the Pac-10 came raiding) the Longhorns are being given preferential treatment on many fronts and people feel it will draw a schism between them and many of the remaining Big XII schools

3. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I live in what used to be Big XII country, and know that Dan Beebe is just a mouthpiece for Texas. Texas did noting wrong by taking what was offered to them by ESPN, however, you are correct in the fact that they do get preferential treatment. There is already a chasm between the other Haves in the league, they were promised $20 million each to stay IIRC, and TAMU wants their damn money. Is the invite still on the table? Or was that just a move last year to keep up with the Joneses if you will?

4. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    From what I am hearing, TAMU to the SEC is a done deal. The matter goes before their regents on the 22nd

5. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    aggieyell.com is the only site reporting it. Need confirmation.

6. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
  7. bigmac62

bigmac62 New Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Upstate New York
    To be honest, a A&M move to the SEC isn't too bad or an idea or too farfetched for that matter. They had a pretty good rivalry with Arkansas when they were both in the Big 8, and what with most of the competition moving elsewhere, it might be a good idea to find someplace with some top-to-bottom competition. Really, after Nebraska left, it basically became the Texas/Oklahoma Show, in my opinion. It also probably makes for a better traveling schedule, the farthest they have to go would probably be Florida. So all around, it might be a good idea to make tracks for the SEC.

8. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Agreed, however neither team was in the Big 8. they were good together int the SWC. Also apparently the regents have moved their meeting up to Monday so they can make the move apparently

9. bigmac62

bigmac62 New Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My mistake on the Big 8, Laces Out. Let's hope for a result that will benefit everybody.

10. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Rumor right now is that F$U, Clemson, Mizzou, and TAMU are all set to join the SEC.

11. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    No sweat, and IMO, what will work is 4 super conferences and a playoff for a true national champ. I think the money will be there regardless of bowls. The issue I see is the NCAA goes bye bye and recruiting is the wild west, and players go to the highest bidder

12. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Mizzou and Clemson=vanderbilt and Miss St(pre Mullen) IMHO. FSU=Auburn. What other sports do these teams bring to the table

FSU:baseball, always consistently good, seem to choke in Omaha in the championship series
    Clemson: been decent in Baseball as well
    TAMU: baseball and track(mens and womens), Brad Childress has their team in a great place, wish Nebraska would have given him the gig over Anderson, but I digress.
    Mizzou: potential up and coming football team, occasionally Basketball, and an average wrestling team. They also bring with them a top flight journalism school.

So overall the SEC would distance themselves more from the rest of the country in Baseball, no real gains in Basketball, and football....it all depends on how quickly the teams can acclimate themselves to the SEC. FSU should have the easiest time of it, with Clemson and Mizzou bringing up the rear IMO

13. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Personally, if this indeed happens, I wonder if Miami can continue their series with F$U every year.

And the ACC will probably raid the Big East imo.

14. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Again? That's where they borrowed UM and VT from anyway right?

15. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Lots of moving parts on this one. I've kept a close tab on it (Iowa State fan....if/When Big 12 folds it'd hurt us bad) for awhile. Here's what's being kicked around in our neck of the woods. (Some have good sources on this)

1. TAMU to SEC is close to a done deal, but it could still blow up. Reports say that some SEC teams aren't incredibly high on TAMU, and that as many as 40+% could vote against them. The reason being is that the SEC is making crazy money, but they're also locked into their contracts for over a decade at this point. Bringing in more teams means splitting money with more teams. They'll likely only bring in more teams if they feel that it's a certainty that they can renegotiate their TV contracts. I think it's likely that they'll expand and renegotiate contracts, but there's still that possibility that they won't/can't. ESPN owns the Longhorn Network and has a vested interest in the Big 12. Not likely they'll be hoping that this happens.

2. The Texas legislature is already mobilizing. A year ago when Texas talked about this they got involved....they want the Texas schools to stay together if possible, less Tech and Baylor get left out of a move. They've done it before, and may do it again. This is likely the reason TAMU moved their meeting from the end of next week to Monday...the Texas Legislature is discussing it on Tuesday. Not sure how that'll play out, I think it's unlikely that they will stop TAMU (they're in recess) but it's something to keep an eye on.

3. Mizzou is saying they're not interested, but I don't believe them as far as I can throw them. They're the ones that started this whole leaving the big 12 discussion a year ago when they flirted with the Big 10. Nebraska slipped in and took their invite. Mizzou is not long for the Big 12 IMO. They've been unhappy for some time. If they don't go SEC, I see them getting picked up by the Big 10 when they expand (ND).

The big question is what happens to the Big 12 teams after this whole power shift happens. Two possible routes...

1. Everyone bolts. Texas Schools go PAC, Oklahoma goes to PAC or SEC, Baylor ISU Kansas, and K-State are left in limbo. Their LIKELY destination is the Big East.....(this is why you shouldn't write off the Big East yet...). last time this happened, the Big East commish was given authority to invite the Big 12 leftovers to the Big East. This would make a very large stable conference that could compete with the ACC for the last "Super Conference". This may happen, but it won't be overnight. I'd say it's maybe better than 50/50 that this happens at this point.

2. Big 12 hangs on and survives in some form. TAMU isn't a big loss, Texas brings all of the TV sets in Texas. Mizzou is a bigger loss as that's a lot of TV sets. If Mizzou stays I think the Big 12 sticks with 9 teams and tries to attract other teams to get back up to 10-12....BYU is tossed around as an option, so is Houston (dont' like hearing that), or even ND. ND is a loooong shot IMO, but their AD has a long history with Texas AD. Coming to the Big 12 would allow ND to keep their own network deal, and they could be the anchor in the B12 North if we got back up to 12 teams. I think it's a long shot, but it could happen. Another discussion is that ND and Texas may start a new conference (not sure why they'd do this instead of just keeping the B12) with the remenence of the Big 12, and allow them to keep their independent TV deals. I think this is a longer shot.

Lots of wheels in motion anyway. I hate realignment talk, and think 16 team conferences are the devil...but what're ya gonna do....

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  16. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
  17. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    ESPN is reporting the SEC unanimously accepted TAMU

18. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

unluckyluciano and Clipse like this.
  19. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Baylor and Iowa St are both threatening to sue.

20. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Yeah, I see that. We shall see how this turns out :grabspopcorn:

21. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
  22. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    As an SEC enthusiast I can say I am underwhelmed with this addition if allowed .They will have to add at least another team now . The addition of FSU or Miami will be opposed by Florida because of the recruiting situation.Ditto with South Carolina who will probably oppose Clemson for the same reason. Missouri ,Virginia Tech or Oklahoma seems like logical possibilities.

23. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I don't think the SEC really cares about what A&M brings to the football field as much as they are about getting a pipeline into Texas, with all those football fans, and most importantly, Texas A&M's money.

24. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    It is reported that OU is PAC or bust. This is all about $$$$$ TAMU brings 8.5 Million television sets to the party. FSU & Miami could be good additions if: 1) golden does his job and turns Da U back into a thug machine. 2) Fisher doesn't suck. Recruiting is a non starter IMO because the SEC already has a foothold in Florida. Same with SC. Focus on who brigs big boy money to the table, and you will have your likely additions. So that leaves ND(B1G) Texas(cancer but they print money, and likely will get to the B1G/whoever will put up with the LHN) and everyone else

25. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    FSU and Miami will never get in to the SEC. And it's really not even about Florida blocking any attempt, but about the SEC not even sending an invite. Miami is a private school and therefore doesn't have very much money, and FSU isn't a big moneymaker either. Also, neither FSU or Miami provide much fan support. The state of Florida is divided, and the SEC already has one of the big 3, they don't want another. I expect them to look more towards Va Tech and Missouri.

26. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Not gonna start a new expansion thread.

SEC just rejected WVU.

27. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    And by the ACC, but that shouldn't really come as a surprise with WVU's ****ty academics. Sucks for them. Looks like they better get on their knees for the Big 10...

28. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    They're neither Leaders nor Legends, they belong in the MAC.

And I say that as an Akron Alum.

29. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Just looked and they're not a member of the AAU which the big 10 pretty much requires. So looks like that probably isn't happening either.

30. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    lol @ WVU and Big 10 in the same sentence.

If the SEC isn't taking them, no one will.

31. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
  32. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Yeah....about that.....Nebraska lost its AAU membership and they are still members. Even had a few B1G schools vote against them. I think academics will be set aside for the almighty $$$$$(read:Notre Dame)

33. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
  34. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    They were AAU members when they joined. And West Virginia ain't Nebraska.

35. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    The point is that with the right team AAU will not be make or break.

Whoever brought up WVU is delusional at best. The B1G probably already has their move planned out under the radar, much like the Nebraska move was. Delaney plays chess while others play checkers