1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

second game impressions?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by adamprez2003, Aug 22, 2010.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    so what did you think? my take was

1) the first string offense will be fine. its still getting the cobwebs out but there was marked improvement week to week. henne still stares down recievers at times. hope he fixes that soon. thigppen never chaanges. he can move the ball at time but he is still an interception waiting to happen. it looks like we have no choice but to kepp him this year but we may have to get another qb to replace pennington beccause i dont think thigpen is turning into romo anytime soon. white looks like he'll be cut.

2) ronnie brown and pat cobbs still look a bit off from last year. hopefully its just rust and will disappear or we may have to go with slightly slower versions of each for 2010. ricky is still ricky and lex is still lex. wouldve been nice to have kory sheets speed in this unit however

3) hartline is in a slump? (hopefully not a sophmore slump). bess looked great. marshall is coming around but i dont think henne and marshall have a good raport yet. moore had a nice game. do we scratch roberto wallace and make the race now turner, pruitt and moore?

4) looks like the biggest benficiary of marshall coming here will be fasano. must be nice to have the middle cleared out for you. nalbone with a nice whriling dervish head over heels somersault lol

5) the line looked alright in pass blocking after the first series. still would like to see more improvement. the run blocking is fine. i think grove wins the center positon.

6) odrick and misi played alright but i think they wont be that great this year. average maybe. they both look like they need another year before they achieve their potential. think we're going to have to generate our pass rush off of scheme rather than talent

7) carroll isnt ready to be a starting or nickel cb yet but he will be next year. the athleticism is undeniable. good thing for him he has basically won the KR job as far as I'm concerned.. i'm not too worried about smith or vontae. they're playing like rooks but i think you'll see vast improvement by the opening of the season. chris clemons might make some mistakes this year but he could be a very good FS. He's everywhere

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
    anlgp, PhinsRock, Bpk and 1 other person like this.
  2. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Marlon Moore seems to be making a great case for becoming the fifth WR.

3. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i agree especially if you go by just the preseason games. to me, he's clearly been the star of that group competing for the 5th spot

TheMageGandalf likes this.
  4. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Yeah I see him locking it up if he makes a few more plays in the next game.

Come the fourth game we should see an all-out war from them trying to earn the 5th spot but....

Honestly, if he shows up yet again for the 3rd game I think the 4th game will be more for an encore since he'll have solidified himself by then.

Bpk and adamprez2003 like this.
  5. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    VD and SS were awful. They looked like they'd never started a game before.

6. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think he's in the lead, i think either pruitt or turner is second and wallace is bringing up the rear

TheMageGandalf likes this.
  7. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yeah but i think they also need a pass rush which we're simply not getting without blitzes and schemes. we are way too vanilla right now on defense and they have played both games on a wet surface. lets see what they look like on a dry ground. on wet surfaces the guy making the move always has the advantage over the guy reacting to the move

anlgp and Moves like this.
  8. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i'd like to see more production out of our back-ups. thigpen, cobbs, thomas...these are guys who will see a lot of playing time. they need to do a better job. they're a talented group, but if they dont produce on the field, it doesnt matter.

HULKFish likes this.
  9. RJones13LAL

RJones13LAL New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Did anyone else get crazy excited after Marshall got those catches. He made someone miss every time he touched the ball, quite an upgrade from the old #19

Trowa, CaribPhin, MikeHoncho and 4 others like this.
  10. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Yup and his two huge blocks.

The Beast indeed !

CaribPhin, MikeHoncho and gafinfan like this.
  11. Agua

Apr 28, 2008
    Marlon Moore looked good. Right now, he looks to have the inside track.

O looked like everyone expects it should in light of the $ spent on it.

Carroll didn't really do anything to advance his cause, didn't hurt it either, but given the #s, at this point he looks like he'll stick.

Jason Allen looked very mediocre. So did Ness.

That Webster (?) @ safety looked pretty sharp, though he wasn't in for more than 6 snaps.

12. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Shame the way he practiced at first.

I always remember D. Thompson though and how he was always the training camp MVP and then would completely disappear in games.

Seems like right now, Wallace is on that same path.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  13. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I really think were in trouble with Sean Smith....

RickyBobby likes this.
  14. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Marshall just seeks out the contact and when he has the ball in his hands DB's fear him. I have NEVER seen this from a miami WR and its quite exciting.

Bpk likes this.
  15. Agua

Apr 28, 2008
    Thought Grove was pulling away from Berger until he got that penalty.

MikeHoncho, Bpk and adamprez2003 like this.
  16. Agua

Apr 28, 2008
    VD wasn't much better in coverage, though he was pretty sharp in run support.

Bpk likes this.
  17. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My first take:

-Charles Grant and Marques Douglas played well, Grant show outstanding movement for a large man, Douglas was his usual consistent self.

-Noel (Noel Carroll..get it?) was pretty good at KR duties.

-Nate Ness disappeared.

-Cobbs showed a good burst, not great though.

-Starks is quick..really quick

-Ike Francis regressed

-ST is a train wreck, two blocked punts in two weeks and allowed long returns all evening.

-Real Cool to see Chad Pennington do what he does, not saying he is 100% but the 2x Comeback player of the year looked good, he is our Rocky, dude never quits, he runs Qb 101 clinics everytime he is on the field

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePTQaqrEdiw&p=732BB90C2B5F6E14&playnext=1&index=16"]YouTube- miami dolphins -Chad Pennington[/ame]

Dude could throw a volleyball and wind up with 20 TD's and 6 int's and a QBR over 90%

Sunshine is just The Man.

Trowa, xphinfanx, jedburg and 7 others like this.
  18. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    1. Don't put Wallace on Special Teams! He has good hands and speed though, just alittle rough around the edges.
    2. Carroll didn't look stellar, especially trying to cover Underwood.
    3. 3rd stringers sucked it up.
    4. VD and SS looked pretty bad in man coverage.
    5. I was pretty surprised to see so much of the Wildcat! Ronnie and the offense should have a great season...

Bpk likes this.
  19. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

But he was realistically. The one time he got beat he had great coverage and it was just a great throw. The 2nd time he slipped which can be attributed to the wet grass. not making excuses, but he slipped and still recovered to make the tackle...

Sean just looks lost and is no where close in coverage

Zeke0123 and adamprez2003 like this.
  20. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yeah i'm not sure we will. i hope we will also but that may be all we get from them this year

21. Agua

Apr 28, 2008
    Who was it that got beat by that Jag WR when Dobbins sort of got in the way up at the line? I thought that was VD.

22. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    regarding sp teams i agree that the punt blocking was horrendous and i assume it will improve as we figure out who we keep. as for the coverage, those two rookies the Jags have, mcgee and karim are the real deal when it comes to pr and kr. they are going to be putting up sick numbers this year in jacksonville. i think we did a decent job containing them. jax will probably be top five in returns this yr with those two.

karim had 153 return yds against philly averaging 38.3 yds and mcgee had 104 averaging 34.7. we held both of them too under 30 yds average

23. Agua

Apr 28, 2008
    Did anyone miss Crowder? I didn't see any let down.

Bpk likes this.
  24. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Keep in mind though, last yr we won Gm #2 27-15 or something.

Bpk likes this.
  25. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    - Henne looked great and the South Beach Beast had a nice comeback game.

- I think Henne has gotten alot better at touch passes.

- The first guy always missed when Marshall did that juke

- Bess is cluch as always

- Grove>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Berger

- VD and SS played bad, I hope they arent in a sophmore slump

- Starks played well, dude is fast

- Special Teams blow, thats twice someone has allowed a blocked punt.

- And WTF is up with coverage unit?

- Caroll had a couole of nice returns but he goes down on first contact.

Bpk and MrClean like this.
  26. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Henne looked better, not great yet (dang get rid of the ball 5 sec inside the inzone is toooooo long!), but better. The beast showed up last night, Thank you Mr. Marshall, without your down field blocking two of our TD's would not have ended the way they did.:up::up::up:

IMVHO we must find a way to keep Moore, Pruitt, and Wallace even if it means cutting/trading both Cam and Turner. All of this being based on continued production from those three this preseason.

Penny is Penny what else is left to say, BTW thanks Brandon, for fighting for and getting that wounded duck, you are "The Beast!:up::up:" You have restored my faith in the # 19!:lol:

I still won't rant against our D unit until MN turns loose the Dogs of War!

I feel bad for Pat White, the only guy now not getting a fair shake, imho.

Trowa, padre31 and Bpk like this.
  27. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Moore is a very pleasant surprise, Pat White and Channing Crowder are very replaceable and Thingpen is as good if not better than Henne.

28. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Honestly, I have never been enamored with him,and I have never understood what the excitement over him was?

Physically, hes like Fred Smoot, without Fred's occasional interception. He has milked on incredible int in PS last year vs the Saints to get a free ride from nearly everyone all last year, and its carrying over. I hope that that Will Allen can make it back and I hope that Carroll or Ness or Smith can improve...right now, I am calling it...this guy is going to be a huge liability for us. I hope like hell I am wrong...but I don't think so.

29. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    IMHO: if there is a weak spot on the roster it will be at FS

GMJohnson likes this.
  30. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    WTF!?

Henne should have been 14/14 for 150+ yards and 2 TDs. Hartline dropped a perfect pass, Marshall dropped a perfect pass, and Williams dropped a pass. Add those as catches and thats 14/14.

Thigpen BLOWS. Good grief he needs to be on a spread only team. He sucks at evading pressure when it comes from the middle and the edges unless he can get outside. 75% of the time he doesn't step into his throws and throws passes into the dirt of nowhere near the wideout. 90% of his passes tonight were within 10 yards of him or they were flats/dumpoffs. He is BAD.

31. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    On Henne, His pocket awareness is so much better than last year. He's stepping up and sliding away from pressure while keeping his throwing lanes. Last year he moved into pressure sometimes. He was making those little hop step ups to buy time that Marino was so good at.

I don't see him locking on to a WR as much as he is looking off safeties. Both of his TDs came after the safety moved to support coverage on Marshall because it seemed like he was locked on, as soon as the safety changed position enough he moved his attention straight to the TE for the completion and the TD. At least that is how I remember it.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  32. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :blink: What the heck did you eat for breakfast?! Please tell me it was paint chips!! LOL

I'm not delving any deeper than that. Must....... refrain...... from further....... comments. :sweatdrop:

33. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    What makes you think the CB position is not going to be a weakness? Or, asked another way, what have you seen in SS game that gives you reason to think "this guy is solid"?

Not trying to be a wise guy here, I seriously think Sean Smith is the worst player on our defense, and IMO, its not even close. I hope he will do something, anything, soon to prove me wrong. I would love to go into this season with our corners taking away the top two WR options of teams. I just dont see it.

Davis isn't a shut down corner either, but at least, he will tackle you. And if you make a mistake with him, he will make you pay for it. Hes competitive. I am not sure Sean Smith is. At least, I haven't seen him step up and compete against other NFL WRs. I have heard rumors about him doing it in practice, but you know how that goes...Take nothing from TC practice reports...remember how the light supposedly came on for Teddy Ginn last year in TC? Only to be shipped to SF for next to nothing.

34. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Shhhhhh....... not so loud..... we're trying to trade him. :shifty:

Wildcat23 likes this.
  35. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It still chaps my arse that (before last season) we didn't make a play for Leigh Bodden when he could've been had cheap while we had the cap room to play with. Grrrrrr. I would've much rather had a vet and a rook on the field together rather than 2 guys who should just now be entering their 1st NFL seasons (if they hadn't declared early). Cant cry over spilled milk I know, but we'd be more consistent on D, and it would've given us a 2nd round pick to use else where. Just sayin.

36. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Dude, stop it.

Trowa and Bpk like this.
  37. Andyt30

Andyt30 New Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ballarat Australia
    Hope they know what they are doing and we get decent replacements for the trades :) and it pays off

38. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Maybe just as important, Mark Sanchez stunk it up! 5 completions, 12 yards, almost 2 INTs.

anlgp and huck1974 like this.
  39. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I missed the original airing and I'm watching right now due to the magic of DVR.

+ Henne. 11/14, 10.7 YPA, 2 TDs. That's the kind of QB play we need.
    + Fasano. Wow.
    + Pennington. I'm still amazed the Jets allowed him to land in our laps. If Henne goes down for whatever reason, we'll still be effective at QB, as evidenced by that deep throw to...
    + Marshall. Good bounce back from that atrocious first outing. Made defenders miss, made a great catch on Pennington's first throw. I admit to a bit of fear that Marshall is used to Orton's weaker throws and was right at home with Pennington; the last thing we need is our #1 WR preferring to catch passes from a backup QB.
    + Run defense. I'm generally indifferent to run defense because rushing proficiency is irrelevant to victory, but MJD had nowhere to run. The secondary made some nice run-stopping plays, especially early on when Vontae got into the backfield to tackle MJD for a decent loss.
    + Nolan Carroll on returns. If he doesn't get the job, then we deserve whatever we get on special teams.
    + Defensive line. They did their job. We're actually better here without Phil Merling than we were with him.

- Nolan Carroll. Getting beat by Mike Thomas for a touchdown was disappointing to see.
    - Vontae Davis. Kept getting beat by breakaway moves. Needs to better anticipate those. Poor showing by Vontae today.
    - Special teams. Could not tackle Deji Karim at all. At ALL.
    - Penalties. That second referee in the offensive backfield is going to be trouble, though it won't affect us nearly as much as the New England "hold on every play, the refs can't possibly see it all the time" Patriots.

Trowa, ToddsPhins and padre31 like this.
  40. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    No offense, but what game were you watching? :no: