1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secondary play

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not saying our secondary is great by any means, but how much does the lack of pass rush hurt this unit? I mean, there are times where the QB has all day to throw and eventually someone is going to get open.

I think Kevin Coyle needs to figure out a way to get more pressure on the QB to help the back unit out, because if our run defense is going to continue to dominate teams, we are going to be thrown on a lot.

xphinfanx and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  2. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I think it is a mix of the two. Marshall getting beat down the sidelines by Holmes in OT isn't on the pass rush, IMO.

Bpk likes this.
  3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    2 pressure guys, a ball hawking defender, and a WR threat or TE security blanket need to be 4 out of our top 5 picks this coming draft (presuming no trades or FA signings change those weaknesses prior to)

RoninFin4 likes this.
  4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    The thing is we get good push and get near the QB, but can't grab him and bring him down.

Frustrating.

5. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I think our secondary needs to turn their heads when the ball is in the air. The lack of awareness is making me crazy.

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Exactly... it's like we need to hire a couple of "quarterbacks' for practice so our rushers get used to TACKLING and FINISHING the pass rush. They don't practice it now because we don't want to hurt our quarterbacks. Sanchez had a few passes today where he was just getting it off in time. And he missed some WIDE open guys as well. I'm not looking forward to games where we go up against Tom Brady.

MAFishFan likes this.
  7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I'd say it's more consistency then anything. You did see a coverage sack today, as well as sanchez getting pressured. I think they just need to be clicking together rather then at random.

8. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    Sean Smith same player hes always been I've lost faith in him becoming elite. I dunno how I feel about Marshall but he sure gets called for a lot of PI calls.

Hiruma78 and Bpk like this.
  9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think we can safely say that Sean Smith looked great in camp because he was facing a lackluster receiving corps.

I know the coaches said he's turned the corner. But its not happened in the real games yet. He's lucky not to have more big plays and TDs on his record this season

- sent from my Android device via Tapatalk -

Hiruma78, Bpk and Mcduffie81 like this.
  10. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Cam Wake can only do so much on his own... Inability to really get pressure on the QB constantly makes it much more difficult for a secondary devoid of serious talent. Honestly, I thought the pass rush was better today, no?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't agree with that. I think Smith has played well thus far.

Our secondary has two good players, IMO. Jones and Smith. I think Clemons hasn't played well but he's not killing us. Marshall is, IMO.

12. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Smith got burned bad at least once. Id venture to say at this point Jones is the only guy I somewhat trust.

Bpk likes this.
  13. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    This. In the first half, Miami had great pressure. Sanchez was hurried alot. But as soon as Miami blased through the line to get to Sanchez, it was like they were running in cement. Made no sense to me at all. Was frustrating to watch. Game as a whole was a horror show on both sides.

14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

That is a lot to ask from Jeff Ireland, who isn't strong at any of those except perhaps Wake and Wake was obvious, given his CFL accolades and several teams being after him.

Elite Secondary and Elite Receivers are not what Jeff Ireland does well.

15. Bpk

True statement.

16. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Smith got burned more then once, and thats not debatable.

17. Bpk

He got lucky, sanche missed several open TDs. A good QB roasts Sean.

18. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    None of this is a surprise Rocky.
    We knew the secondary and pass rush was going to be our downfall on D..... and it is.....

Nothing's going to fix it this year.

19. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Low expectations?

20. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Smith has had very good and very bad moments in my opinion. You don't see the really good as much in a corner because the QB will tend to not throw it your way when you have your man covered.

The issue I see is we only create pass rush with heavy blitzing, and that puts your CB in a very undesirable spot to begin with.

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    What? No. Based on his overall play, I think he has done well. Had any other corner played like him, I would say the same.

22. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    To me the problem is the lack of ball skills. You don't need great CBs in the NFL but you need capable ones. Caroll is not a decent guy, Marshall is decent but a better safety, and Smith is just that at best. Nobody on this defense has a damn worth of ball skills.

23. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Personally, I think our passing defense is the weakest unit on this team. Moreso, than our passing offense. Sanchez missed 2 rather easy scores, and a 3rd he was harassed on a rollout which made it a really difficult play. Countless drops by the Jets. Richard Marshall was abused all day by Holmes. Our zone coverage stinks because our drops are all effed.

They better get a solid player for Vontae. Maybe he's struggling in Indy, but we knew what he was here. He absolutely would have helped today. And for God sakes, can we sign another CB so our safeties like Jimmy Wilson, aren't covering the quickest slot guys in the game?

24. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Sean Smith was burned deep twice and he's lucky Sanchez could not hit his man. Yet even with his interception, Richard Marshall was worse.

There was a lot of one step forward, two steps back during this game. Marshall had a beautiful interception but then had several (correctly called) pass interference/defensive holding calls, as well as several big catches over top of him including the game winner. Reshad Jones had some really good plays but then he was the culprit on that 60+ yard play to Kerley. Chris Clemons had the interception in the end zone but he also overran Kerley on that big play and had several other miscues.

This is not a good secondary. The pass rush is currently better than the secondary because of Wake and Starks. Those two are enough to get by. But the depth is scary, if we lose one or both of those guys then the pass rush becomes even worse than the secondary and that's an awful combination.

25. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I lost my hearing for several minutes due to the overwhelming noise of Clemons toes, feet, ankles, shins, knees, thighs, and hips being broken on that play. It's always been the same problem with him. Then again, Clemons being out there instead of Marshall is a mistake that the coaching staff hasn't conceded yet and we've got no cornerback depth at this point, so we'll be seeing more of it this year.

26. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    who was covering the play in the endzone that the ball hit hill in the shoulder and he dropped it was that smith cause that was horrible coverage

27. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Anyone got Benny Sapp's phone number?

28. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Larry Fitzgerald next week... that's the bad news.. Kevin Kolb throwing him the ball, that's the good news.

29. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    [​IMG]

30. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I feel like we are a very poor zone coverage team and that kills us more than anything.

31. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The scary thing about Sean Smith getting beat deep on those two plays is at least one of them (possibly both, I forget) was Chaz Schilens...not someone we should be fearing.

32. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    You should never, never, never fear anyone named Chaz.