1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking Some Advice

Discussion in 'Jobs Forum' started by RoninFin4, Feb 3, 2011.

1. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hey all, I wanted to start a thread as I am in need of some advice. As some may know, I work for a Hall of Fame football player at his charitable foundation here in Cincinnati. I've been there for nearly two years now, and had interned there for 8 months while I was in college. It's been a huge experience for me, and has provided me some great opportunities, both to learn skills and to meet people in the industry.

However, given it's nature as a non-profit, we have a very small staff (3), and run a lot of events throughout the year (11) - so as you can imagine the workload is considerable despite it being a non-profit organization. I love the foundation and love working for the people I work for, but the current position I hold doesn't hold a lot of room for advancement. So, I have decided over the past few weeks that it may be time for a change of scenery in order to take the next step in my career. I've already started to let a few of my key contacts know and have actually heard back on a few positions with some major organizations such as MSG and ESPN in the last day. Obviously, I'm sure the interview process will take some time, as will transitioning if I were to land any of those positions as they're not in Ohio. I just figure the time is right. I'm 25, currently single, no kids, and the lease on my current place isn't too hard to pay off - a move just seems to fit as I may not have another chance later on. I haven't been as motivated as of late, and the work just isn't as fulfilling as it once was and I feel like I'd be happier not being there, as opposed to staying on and working for a paycheck despite not wanting to be there.

My question is this: Given the current state of the economy, is it better to step down at my current position and look at other opportunities, or should I try and stay there until I've successfully secured new employment? I've got a decent amount of money saved up, and could probably afford to not work for a month or so, although that's a very risky move IMO just given the way things are. However, I really like the foundation I work for and there are several events coming up and I don't want to put them in a bad spot personnel-wise, as two of the upcoming events are ones that I directly oversee, and it would give them ample time to find a replacement and train them if I were to leave soon.

Do I lookout for #1 and continue to stay until I'm able to find a new job, or do I give them a chance to make a move as well? Any advice would be appreciated.

Boik14 likes this.
  2. Cass

Cass Active Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bristol, England
    Stay until you find another job imo. Don't worry about them replacing you...there will be no shortage of candidates lining up for jobs right now, so it's easier for them to hire than for you to secure a role. Having no income is a risky business, and will eat through your savings faster than you might imagine.

Boik14 and RoninFin4 like this.
  3. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im inclined to agree with Cass. Its definitely time to move on when you feel the way you wrote so there should be no doubt about that. That screams aching for a new challenge. But until you officially get the paperwork, you dont leave the other job. Dont leave yourself in a bind. As much as that will leave your co-workers in a tricky spot once you do leave, if you dont get hired by one of the companies youre interviewing with youre SOL.

FYI, if MSG hires you, I look forward to having a beer or two and talking some football since thats like a block away from where my old man works and I visit every now and then :beer:

RoninFin4 likes this.
  4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Dang, wish I had seen that before I went to NYC. I went up there for the interview this past Friday. They said I should expect an answer by this Friday. Still working at same place. But yes, definitely seeking a new challenge.

Thanks for the help guys!

5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    All good, keep us updated