1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senior Bowl Week

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Gunner, Jan 23, 2012.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yep.....I am. Weeden has been as advertised......love watching him throw. He looked really good in the PA pass...

2. vt_dolfan

Wilson....looks like his throws are high. And that INT was really bad....

3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Wilson has been disappointing thus far with his arm.. no question.

4. vt_dolfan

Bad pass by Weeden....stumbled and tried to rush it....

5. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Vinny Curry has been playing very good so far. I believe he forced that pick by Weeden.

6. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Anyone else getting wet over maybe coples in round 1 and Zachary brown roud 2???

7. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    No. But, I'm getting wet over Vinny Curry in the 2nd. Or Mike Adams if he falls. Adams has been dominating this game.

Btw, this first half solidifies my dislike for Courtney Upshaw. I think he's a good college player, but he is nothing special. Lord, I hope we don't look at him in the first round.

8. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Why no coples or brown? Coples has been Dominating and Zachary brown is just everywhere I love the week Adams has had but will probably be tough to swallow in the first. I agree with upshaw not being as good as his hype. I wouldn't mind Ginny curry at all

9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Anyone else basically only watching the South team? lol.

10. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Pretty much I did wanna see cousins

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Weedon got hit on his INT. I thought that Wilson's pass in the corner was spot on. I disagreed with Mayock's criticism. IMO that was on the WR. QBs are generally told to aim at the pylon and he hit it. Wilson's INT was ugly though.

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Pead has shown impressive explosiveness.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Coples & Zach Brown would be my undeniable first 2 picks of the draft for what they'd allow us to accomplish on defense. I was actually about to make a thread on this in the mains.

Coples's versatility would be ideal in Miami if we switch to a 43 but still mix in a little 34 stuff.

In base D he's our SDE.
    In Nickel, he moves inside to a penetrating DT.
    If we mix in some 34 stuff, he's a DE.

Zach Brown is backer capable of equalizing NE's threats at TE and Welker.
    If we draft Coples and re-sign Solia to be a space eater in our base defense, that run stuffing potential could allow Brown, Dansby, and Burnett the freedom to roam rather than being needed as battering rams to stuff the run, so all 3 of them could coexist without having liabilities vs the run being significantly exposed.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  14. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Exactlyyyyy what I was thinking. Even down to covering ne te's now we could bring it one step forward not resign solia and snatch Williams in free agency play the 4-3 oh huh Williams Starks oderick coples.... Dansby brown and whomever else maybe grab a markelle Martin in the 3rd plug at fs.... Where are those tissues??

15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    adding Mario Williams to Coples and Soliai would really allow our LBs to roam while providing a NASTY pass rush out of nickel with:

WAKE - COPLES - ODRICK/STARKS - MARIO.

What a dream that would be! That'd be my off season priority along with adding a QB.

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Mario was already in my plans. lol. I just didn't want to go too far into it b/c I didn't want to seem like I was repeating myself when I create the related thread.

17. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Or as I saw in a different thread about being like the giants front lines we would easily have the best pass rush in the league and allow us to just bring 4 let the others make plays on the ball in the air

ToddsPhins likes this.
  18. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, you probably want to wake up.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If you want Zach Brown, you're gonna need to free him up and keep the trash away from him to prevent exposing his liabilities or to prevent exposing Dansby's liabilities b/c drafting Brown would mean Dansby becomes a 43 ILB in order for Brown to stay at OLB where he belongs. To allow this to happen, you'd need Soliai's space-eating, run stuffing ability that commands double teams.... and you'd need a WDE big enough to hold his own vs run to prevent Brown from becoming a liability. Enter Mario Williams. Now everything's harmoniously in balance, and everyone can play to their strengths with their visible weaknesses being minimized.

We'd be extremely scheme versatile in in 43 & 34, and we'd be a nightmare in Nickel with the extreme pressure from our guys up front combined with the speed, athleticism, and coverage abilities from our LBs. Screw you, Tom Brady. That's all I have to say.

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I wouldn't call it a "wake up" scenario.

We're in a good draft position to have Coples represent BPA.

Houston has 22 million reasons to not franchise Mario. If he prefers 43 end rather than playing in a rotation as 34 OLB in Houston, then he could very well embrace what Miami has to offer.

21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    We're not going to blow pretty much all our FA money on Williams and Soliai, and then turn around and spend our remaining most valuable resource on another DL.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Brandon Thompson is more stout vs the run than people are giving him credit for.

23. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    I agree solia would be great to resign but I feel like with Williams and hopefully a guard out of free agency and a couple cuts maybe gamble on Flynn we could use our remaining 3,4,5,7 picks on green the te datko in the 3rd for rt we could be VERY competetive

24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    "another DL"? I wasn't aware that a starting 43DE/pass rusher is just "another DL". When did we develop an abundance of these? lol.

Like I said, Soliai isn't a deal breaker for this to happen.
    And NE has proven beatable when Brady is disrupted under frequent pressure.

In a passing league, IMO Mario would be worth most of our FA money b/c of who he'd be added to combined with our lack of anything that resembles a quality starting DE opposite Wake and our lack of depth at DE. Mario by himself isn't worth it, but a front 4 featuring Mario, Coples, Odrick, and Wake applying pressure is worth it IMO. And what Mario & Coples (in base 43) allows our LBs to do combined with what they allow us to do at LB schematically & personnel-wise makes the combination of those 2 DEs highly valuable. Two outstanding, massive, run-stuffing DEs capable of pressuring the QB would transcend our defense IMO.

Currently, we're paying peanuts to 43 DE, so signing Mario to a big contract wouldn't be preposterous. Who's our highest paid DE? Wake at like $5 million?

As of now, our defense is the heart and strength of this team. Maintaining this should be of utmost priority.

Our current offense combined with this upgraded defense makes us an immediate SB contender, so why would that be an improper use of FA funds? If we draft well, we can spend this kind of money on Mario, especially considering the reduced rookie wage scale.

25. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Great post but definatly the last part about drafting well, we NEED to hit on more then one player next year we need 2-3 starter quality players

ToddsPhins likes this.
  26. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    There are two consistent issues I see when fans make projections for their teams during the off-season and this seems to happen every year...(a) the free agency plan only encompasses their immediate situation (b) they project their draft picks will/should have an immediate impact.

For point (a) I've seen people talk about bringing in either Nicks or Williams in free agency but pay little mind to the fact both Long and Wake are free agents after this season. Especially with Wake, he's been playing on a pittance of an NFL contract for three years. How would he feel if we break the bank on another pass rusher? How would that impact his performance? As for point (b) I've always felt you use the draft to build your team for the long term. The expectation for immediate returns on your draft picks often leaves many fans dissatisfied. This doesn't mean these picks won't go on to great careers.

27. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Biggest winners for me in no particular order were:

WR Joe Adams Arkansas
    OT Mike Adams Ohio State
    DE Quinton Coples North Carolina
    DE Vinny Curry Marshall
    QB Nick Foles Arizona (the other QBs looked awful. I still like Weeden, he just had a bad day and didn't catch many breaks)
    OT/OG Cordy Glenn (minus the penalty)
    WR Juran Criner (he only looked good when Foles was in the game, because Foles kept feeding him the ball)
    HB Isaiah Pead Cincinnati

And the worst player award has to go to the Washington OT that couldn't block anyone.

28. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The one North team center who had 3 bad snaps in a row was pretty bad, though they said he's not actually a center.

I also saw the C from Georgia get just destroyed a number of times early in the game.

And yea, I thought all the QBs looked pretty bad, with Foles barely looking the best.

29. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Cam Johnson looked good. Beat Mike Adams a few times.

30. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I thought Moore looked fine. Exactly, what you'd expect from him; weakish arm, short, and good to great at everything else. He had two TDs dropped in a row. He's going to be a good third string with the hope of developing his arm a bit. I could seem him as a late round choice for Miami depending on how they see the O going.

31. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Sean Spence got a sh*t load of praise apparently, too.

That's my homer post of this thread.

32. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    IDK. I'd worry about Jacksonville in front of us. Granted, they could go in a number of different directions, but defense is certainly one of them.

33. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I thought Moore looked like what I expected, which was pretty poor as an NFL prospect. For him, I guess he was fine, since it was as expected.

34. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Moore looked fine against the senior draft class... Not safeties like Ed reed... Corners like Revis...rush lbs like ware... De like Jared Allen.... His anticipation on routes were great but that's because he needed to make up for his arm. That could kill him at the next level when defensive backs break early on wrs routes

35. vt_dolfan

Im jaded, obviously, but I liked what I saw from Weeden, and I dont think we got to see enough of him...

36. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009

was it just me, or did it seem like Cam Johnson didn't do anything in the first half? Or did I miss some plays? Because, I tried to watch all the DEs closely and I don't remember seeing Johnson in the backfield once. I only watched the 1st half though.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I thought he looked great early. That first INT wasn't on him. That second INT was a horrible pass.

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Doug Martin didn't run much, but he looked good in pass pro and according to the announcers was the best back during the week.

39. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    To me, Quinton Coples solidified himself as a top 5 overall prospect in the draft who should be a lock for the top 10. He was dominant in both the run game and rushing the passer. The most dominant player on either team. You have to wonder if he will even make it to Miami's pick.

40. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Didn't actually watch the game yet. I was just going based off practices.