1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senior Bowl Week

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Gunner, Jan 23, 2012.

1. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    ck, let me ask you this: Do you think Fleener will be available when we pick in the 2nd? His draft stock seems to slowly continue to climb and this league seems as if it's transitioning to a TE dominant league now that WRs are easy to come by and TEs aren't so easy to come by. Plus, when a team like NE dominates with 2 TE sets like they do and you see guys like Jimmy Graham putting up unreal numbers in just their 2nd year in the NFL...other teams are going to want to copy. I wouldn't be surprised if we see both Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener go as early as the first round.

I like your simplified mock off season, but I'm worried about the TE position and the fact that we draft in a position that seems like we will lose out. We won't take one as early as 8 or 9. Fleener/Allen may be gone by our #42 pick. Orson Charles is another guy that is projected to go between our picks (I've seen him go as high as mid-2nd and as low as early 3rd). After that, I don't see any TE prospects that stick out to me other than Ladarius Green. If we miss out on Fleener/Allen, do we reach for Charles in the 2nd? Do we wait and hope he falls to us in the 3rd? Or do we pass on TEs all together this draft?

2. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    With all honesty guys who would truly be opposed to signing Flynn and Mario wiliams. Pending tag. Keep Moore just invade Flynn doesn't work out TRADE UP with our first and 2nd next year with 4th this year and grab BLACKMON take Dwayne Allen in 2nd this year and datko or mikelle Martin in the 3rd. 5th take tank carder 6th 7th whatever you wanna plug in.. I Really don't think this is an impossible situation. If Flynn is the real deal he has Marshall and Blackmon with Dwayne Allen along with a pass catching rb in bush... Upgraded our pass rush with Mario and tank carder at linebacker and mikelle at fs

3. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    First this year second next I mean.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know that the entire league is in love with Tight Ends yet so we'll see. Some people insist that Fleener is going to run real fast and if that happens maybe he's gone by pick #40, but for now I'm not too worried about it. I think most scouts and personnel people have Dwayne Allen as the best Tight End prospect, whereas others have Orson Charles as the best. Fleener is not the best on too many draft boards, not that I've heard thus far.

To me, there isn't a Gronkowski or Graham in this Draft. I like Fleener a lot, I like Ladarius Green some. The guy I think is really underrated is Chase Ford out of Miami. I think the NCAA has become a piss poor venue when it comes to providing a stage upon which true NFL mismatch tight ends can shine consistently with production. Signal-to-noise is very low, in my personal opinion. That's why I like seeing what I see in places like the All Star practices, where guys like Dennis Pitta, Andrew Quarless and Julius Thomas were able to stand out in Shrine practice.

This year without a doubt the guy that I saw live in practice that didn't just stand out, but actually dominated in a way that I've not seen a Tight End dominate at Shrine practice in the three years I've been attending, was Chase Ford of Miami. By the end of the week you could feel the quarterbacks looking for him, wanting to throw the ball to him at every opportunity because they knew he would make them look better. He stands a full 6'6" and 260 lbs which is becoming rare for a Tight End prospect nowadays. You won't confuse him for Jimmy Graham on a track or when he does the vertical, but he runs fluidly (no lumbering, which is important) and makes tough, physical catches away from his body. His size helps him break contact after the catch which I believe showed up in the game itself as he made a catch, one or two guys hit him right as he caught it, those guys fell to the ground and he just kept right on running...which is becoming vintage Gronkowski/Graham, one of the reasons they're so good.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Based on what I've been told about the Dolphins' salary cap situation, this is an impossibility. The Dolphins will barely have enough room to sign Matt Flynn and may be forced to cut Yeremiah Bell just to make that happen. There would be no room for Mario Williams on top of Flynn.

If Coby Fleener is already a stretch for being available at #40 overall, then Dwayne Allen is even more so. Most NFL teams have Allen as the #1 Tight End on their boards and I think he'll be gone by #40 overall.

Interesting proposal with respect to Blackmon, the guy Brandon Marshall has been hanging out with lately and referring to as "Baby Beast".

Markelle Martin being available in the 3rd round is also, in my opinion, a big stretch.

Andrew Datko should be available in the 3rd because of hefty medical issues, but the question is, do we want him with those medical issues?

Your plan would leave the defense twisting in the wind a little bit. But, I suppose with the combination of Brandon Marshall and Justin Blackmon catching passes from Matt Flynn, you'd be hoping that the offense would be so productive it doesn't matter.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see this as a great TE draft. I have been pounding the table that the TE position was becoming a mismatch position and therefore moving up to a core need for years. In fact, I was saying that before NE actually did it. But that was b/c I saw the opportunity in the draft. When it's not there you can't manufacture it. Other than maybe Green in this draft, I'm not sure there's anybody I would even want to take a shot on. At this point our best hope there might be that Clay does develop.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think the reality is that the NCAA has become such a poor staging ground for Tight Ends to show what they can be at the NFL level, that there are not ANY good Tight End drafts anymore, or at least, only good Tight End drafts in hindsight.

Jimmy Graham went in the 3rd round and caught 17 passes at The U. How could anyone say they truly saw that coming? If you truly saw it coming, you draft him in the 1st round. Rob Gronkowski went in the mid-2nd round and hadn't played football in like a year and a half, had severe back problems, etc.

I think that's the reality though. More and more, the guys that are making a difference at the next level...didn't look so hot in college. I think all teams want good Tight Ends and know they're difference makers, and yet if you look at it, they go pretty low. You have to go back to 2006 to find a 1st round TE that didn't go in the 20's or 30's.

rafael likes this.
  8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Got to see a lot of Chase Ford at The U. Towards the end of the year, he became a 3rd down security blanket for Jacory.

9. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Those basketball to football guys seem to make great tight ends.

10. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Worst blocking TE of all time.

11. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks for that post, I haven't looked into the cap yet so that was news to me, I thought without solia Langford and yes cut bell we could try to plug jones in at Ss where he I think played in college, I would give datko a shot at rt and maybe then pick up that fs out of Boise state and give him a shot... Yea I think grabbing Blackmon would be HUgE. If it is an impossibility to grab Mario then maybe a guy like Lawson as a down rush lb. without Mario and all those cuts do you have a number in cap we have left? Cause Flynn maybe Nelson or goldston and Lawson wouldn't hurt at all. Lawson Starks odrick wake isn't something to be ashamed of as a line. Maybe I'm just rambling or maybe I just want some fcking spark out of this years free agency and draft... I know what would be best for the team but aside from the real fans who know another elite oline men would sure up our front what would the other fans think? Great another year of o line d line...

12. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Also think of it this way.. We could have a chance to have 2 great wideouts for our fresh qb. And even looking past this year.. What happens when Marshall is gone? We hope for another mid-low 20's wr decides he likes south beach? At least we would still have Blackmon. Let's say it pans out and we don't get Blackmon. We compete the next 2 years into the playoffs. Marshall leaves and we don't have a high draft pick. Hart line...bess...gates... Nothing to write home about. Then we are back to where we were before we signed Marshall.

13. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Not sure how accurate or updated this list is, but of FF's 2nd tier Free Agent lineman, who would you want that could come cheap and sure up the depth problem you mentioned?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/ol.html

Deuce Lutui (ARZ) - OG
    Chad Rinehart (BUF) - OG
    Mackenzy Bernadeau (CAR) - OG
    Roberto Garza (CHI) - OG
    Nate Livings (CIN) - OG
    Mike McGlynn (CIN) - OG
    Bobbie Williams (CIN) - OG
    John Greco (CLE) - OG
    Steve Vallos (CLE) - OG
    Derrick Dockery (DAL) - OG
    Russ Hochstein (DEN) - OG
    Ryan Diem (IND) - OG
    Dan Connolly (NE) - OG
    Stacy Andrews (NYG) - OG
    Chilo Rachal (SF) - OG
    Jacob Bell (STL) - OG
    Jeremy Zuttah (TB) - OG
    Jake Scott (TEN) - OG
    Kory Lichtensteiger (WAS) - OG
    Will Montgomery (WAS) - OG

Matt Birk (BAL) - OC
    Andre Gurode (BAL) - OC
    Ryan Pontbriand (CLE) - OC
    Don Muhlbach (DET) - OC
    Casey Wiegmann (KC) - OC
    John Sullivan (MIN) - OC
    Dan Koppen (NE) - OC
    Olin Kreutz (NO) - OC
    Scott Mruczkowski (SD) - OC
    Ken Amato (TEN) - OC

D'Anthony Batiste (ARZ) - OT
    Levi Brown (ARZ) - OT
    Brandon Keith (ARZ) - OT
    Mark LeVoir (BAL) - OT
    Demetrius Bell (BUF) - OT
    Erik Pears (BUF) - OT
    Anthony Collins (CIN) - OT
    Dennis Roland (CIN) - OT
    Oniel Cousins (CLE) - OT
    Artis Hicks (CLE) - OT
    Guy Whimper (JAC) - OT
    Jared Gaither (KC) - OT
    Barry Richardson (KC) - OT
    Vernon Carey (MIA) - OT
    Kareem McKenzie (NYG) - OT
    Robert Turner (NYJ) - OT
    Khalif Barnes (OAK) - OT
    Stephon Heyer (OAK) - OT
    King Dunlap (PHI) - OT
    Trai Essex (PIT) - OT
    Max Starks (PIT) - OT
    Breno Giacomini (SEA) - OT
    Adam Snyder (SF) - OT
    Adam Goldberg (STL) - OT
    James Lee (TB) - OT
    Mike Otto (TEN) - OT

14. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I still think we would go Kendall Wright over Blackmon.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    As well as outside linebackers and quarterbacks.

16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Wow. I don't see that at all.

17. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I guess I should put a disclaimer that, first off, I don't think Blackmon will be there at 8 or 9, but also I think Kendall Wright would fit our offense more than Blackmon. Brandon Marshall and Blackmon have very similar games, Wright could be the burner Steve Smith type WR opposite Marshall that would stretch the defense out. If we are in fact moving to the West Coast offense Wright would fit in it even more, just look at the size and speed of the GB WRs.

Also Blackmon can be a bit of a headcase. Two headcases at the same position could spell trouble. If Marshall isn't *****ing about not getting the ball then Blackmon will be, etc.

18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That is the 1st I've ever heard that. Got any links?

19. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I've heard rumors that he can be a bit of an attention whore myself. Not to the degree of Bryant with all the other stuff, but there have been rumblings about this guy for a while.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The only thing I've heard about him is that he wants the damn ball. He doesn't like having to go to the sideline, he also doesn't like when he doesn't get the ball.

21. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Wide receivers are divas. Nothing new.

22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That doesn't sound like a headcase to me, it sounds like a WR.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  23. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Well this is sort of what I am referring to. I can't remember which game I was watching this year but he was visibly upset that Brandon Weeden wasn't throwing him the ball even though he was triple covered. He even went over to Weeden and started yelling at him on the sidelines. Again, he wasn't doubled team, he was triple covered. I think it was the beginning of the Texas A&M game but don't quote me on that.

Additionally, he has had a DUI. "His midseason DUI arrest will not help his character grade" " Scouts have character concerns about Blackmon."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1695604

"Character concerns have been an ongoing topic in regards to his and and off the field demeanor."
    http://njffldynasty.com/prospect-profile-wr-justin-blackmon/

There is a lot of stuff you can find, but it is mostly his demeanor and attitude. I just don't see Ireland picking him. I mean just watch this clip:
    [video=youtube;bf9a83hKDM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9a83hKDM8[/video]

If you listen to the commentators, that was his SECOND time doing the same thing in the game. He not only intentionally slows down to "showboat" but he also holds the ball carelessly in one arm. Keep in mind that was his SECOND time doing it in that game too. So he did it once and did it again. He also had a similar problem in a later game although in my opinion this wasn't as bad, because he got hit.
    [video=youtube;xCJihdcJLC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJihdcJLC4[/video]

I just don't see how him and Brandon Marshall could coexist on the same team. I love Brandon Marshall to death (he is a UCF alum and one of my favorite players) but I think a guy like Kendall Wright would be a better compliment to him both in terms of attitude and what he brings to the table.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  24. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I guess another thing I should mention is that when I mention Kendall Wright with Justin Blackmon it is more of a compliment to Wright than it is to degrade Blackmon. I just think Wright is a damn fine WR that runs great routes, tracks the ball well in the air, and would fit very nicely into the West Coast Offense. I feel like he is flying a little low on the radar now and he will be one of the big risers in the draft. I don't see him making it past the first half of the first round.

25. caneaddict

caneaddict Season Ticket Holder

Dec 4, 2007
    Agree fully! I'm not taking anything away from Blackmon, he's a great WR. But Kendall Wright is the #1 WR on my board. I think he fits our team better than Blackmon like you said he's a better complement to Marshall. I love his attitude, work ethic, the way he plays ball ... just a big fan.

I think CK mentioned that he doesn't fit so well with the attributes Philbin will be looking for. I can't speak to that so I'm just hoping Ireland/Philbin decide to allow some room outside their prototype.

26. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    I know Blackmon wouldn't be there at 8-9 hence the trade up. Wright is a good player would probably fit a wco better then blackmon but Blackmon is no slouch... Projected 4.4-4.5 speed is pretty damn fast...no Chris Johnson. Kendall wright is projected 4.3-4.4.. Blackmon has better hands. The only option I see being attractive about wright is we can trade down to get him...by that I mean more attractive then Blackmon

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Personally I think if Kendall Wright is on anyone's board above Justin Blackmon, there's something wrong there. Out-thinking yourselves.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  28. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I love Kendall as much as anyone, but not up against The bad black man.

29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He's ranked a lot higher than Dez ever was 2 yrs ago, but I wonder if the character concerns will cause him to drop a little on draft day the way Dez dropped. Dez wasn't the first WR taken that year even.

30. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Blackmon would have been a top ranked receiver last year as well. Maybe THe top receiver with his insane numbers. Regardless nothing will help us compete more and give us a better chance at the playoffs then an upgrade at QB.